As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
New thread smell. I'll add patch notes or something to this OP later, when I'm not late for Cho'gall attempts.

catapetflowchart.jpg
* Aspect of the Hawk now grants roughly 35% more attack power.
* Deterrence now also reduces damage taken by 30% while active.
* Black Arrow now ticks every 2 seconds for 20 seconds, as opposed to every 3 seconds for 15 seconds. The total damage dealt by the ability is unchanged.
* Lock and Load no longer benefits Arcane Shot, nor is it consumed by Arcane Shot.

aTBDrQE.jpg
Skeith on

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shouldn't 8% magic debuff rank higher than 12% armor debuff seeing how the majority of the only sensible spec's damage is elemental?

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's probably because there's a lot more options for the magic damage debuff compared to the armor one.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That... doesn't really make sense. I'd say it's assuming Marksmanship, in which case the Armor Debuff *is* better I think. But yeah, for Survival I'm fairly certain the magic debuff is better.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It does make sense, now that I think about it. Four specs can provide the magic debuff when just doing their thing, whereas only Prot Warriors and Bear Druids provide the armor debuff when doing their thing.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dranyth wrote: »
    That... doesn't really make sense. I'd say it's assuming Marksmanship, in which case the Armor Debuff *is* better I think. But yeah, for Survival I'm fairly certain the magic debuff is better.

Well, it is aimed at raiding. I'd assume that most people realize that raptors/snakes are the choice for solo'ing with MM, and windserpents/dragonhawks for SV.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Right but that's not what the flowchart is supposed to be, it's supposed to be what is the highest DPS increase for the group depending on what debuff the group is missing. Though actually I suppose it might depend on whether your group is melee or caster heavy.

I wonder if what they're basing that on is the tank needing an Armor Debuff for maximum threat? That seems to make some sense anyway.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right but that's not what the flowchart is supposed to be, it's supposed to be what is the highest DPS increase for the group depending on what debuff the group is missing. Though actually I suppose it might depend on whether your group is melee or caster heavy.

I wonder if what they're basing that on is the tank needing an Armor Debuff for maximum threat? That seems to make some sense anyway.

You are thinking way too hard about this flow chart.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Survival hunter here, 85. I know everyone always asks "what's the best pet?", and yes I do see the chart at the top, but my question is slightly different.

I have 5 pet spots, if I am going into a random raid, not knowing the group comp, what are the safest or best pets to have in those 5 positions? Alternatively, assuming you have no pet, what are the first 5 pets you will get, not knowing what the group comp will be?

I think it'll be Wolf, Cat, then what? Raptor ravager dragonhawk?

Cunty on
    gameintownk.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cunty wrote: »
    Survival hunter here, 85. I know everyone always asks "what's the best pet?", and yes I do see the chart at the top, but my question is slightly different.

I have 5 pet spots, if I am going into a random raid, not knowing the group comp, what are the safest or best pets to have in those 5 positions? Alternatively, assuming you have no pet, what are the first 5 pets you will get, not knowing what the group comp will be?

I think it'll be Wolf, Cat, then what? Raptor ravager dragonhawk?

Yep, that sounds pretty good to me.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Skeith wrote: »

Well, it is aimed at raiding. I'd assume that most people realize that raptors/snakes are the choice for solo'ing with MM, and windserpents/dragonhawks for SV.

So inadvertantly, in my infinite (but totally unconscious) wisdom I chose the right pet (a raptor) for the leveling of my hunter ... sweet :D.

On a not so much related note ... I downloaded and installed the gun silencer add on somebody mentioned in the old thread. And it is awesome ... especially since wild quiver is proccing quite often, so now I don't go deaf.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been using a Wolf for leveling, with a Gorilla for tanking multiple mobs, and I have the third slot for whatever animal looks cool atm. Currently it's a glowing green Fel-Dog.

I think I get more excited for my Pets getting talent points then me, their trees really seem to beef them up!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Go go Silencer Mod!

I finally started getting some luck on drops with my Hunter. Sunday, Tia's Grace dropped from the last boss in H Lost City and after I'd already run H VP with no luck, I got H VP as my random dungeon and the belt *finally* dropped from that fucking dragon. I had the buckle and gems on me to get it ready and wear it right then too.

I only have one remaining <346, my other trinket which I'm trying to replace with the heroic Key from H Stonecore. Right now I have the regular version in that slot.

Though I need to check some things, I *think* I may have let my haste drop a bit too low, my Cobra Shot cast time is up to 1.7s now and it was 1.6s forever.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did heroics forever trying to get my weapon upgrade. Finally, the 346 gun drops from VP. Next dungeon, the bow drops from BRC. When it rains, it pours I guess.

Also, lost the roll on the hunter pants in BH last night. :( Won the shard from the rogue gear that no one could use, though.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Skeith wrote: »

Wolf is > dragonhawk for SV for soloing. The 5% crit uptime is 100%.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wasn't really talking soloing either, so much as group play. But again, it would depend on how magic heavy the group is.

I did just have a H Stonecore where basically all my available pets were useless. We had a Feral Tank (Armor Debuff, %5 Crit Buff, Mark/Kings), Unholy DK (8% Magic Damage Debuff, Agi/Str Buff), Ret Pally (Blessing of Might, and that's it I think), and Priest healer (Fortitude).

I guess the only thing we *didn't* have available was Bloodlust, but fuck BM until they buff it. That and Chromie is probably annoying as fuck in a dungeon. Hell, I was flying around in Twilight Highlands and started hearing all kinds of screeching and stomping... couldn't tell what direction it was, flew around a bit and *finally* found someone with Chromaggus doing dailies. God he's loud.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think Chromie would like you talking about her like that.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The gun silencer add-on should be buffed to shut the stompy pets the fuck up.

forty on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what are stat priorities for MM and surv hunters?

What should I be reforging away and adding, and gemming for etc? Is it like wrath when you gemmed for your meta, then all reds or what?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EWom wrote: »

What should I be reforging away and adding, and gemming for etc? Is it like wrath when you gemmed for your meta, then all reds or what?

I'm surv and gem two deadly ember topaz for the fleet meta then all red. I've been reforging to hit rating cap then to roughly 800 haste. After that I reforge to as much crit>mastery. Not that you should take my advice. I'm only a distant 2nd to the shadow priest in my 10m when Blizz clearly thinks surv is OP and shadowpriests are underpowered.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Not too sure on MM, but shouldn't be too far off from SV. For reforging: Hit until capped (8%) > Crit > Mastery > Haste. Don't worry too much about reforging stats other than hit unless you like min/maxing.

Haste is in a pretty weird spot right now actually. It's still pretty "meh." Currently the only use of Haste (again, speaking from a SV perspective) is to reduce Cobra Shot to a ~1.67 cast time. You will virtually notice 0 change in focus regen from getting haste from gear, so you should never actively gear for it (via reforging or gems). This /should/ hopefully change when the new haste code rolls around in 4.0.6, which should make it much more attractive. Not exactly sure on the specifics of that though.

For gemming, typically you want straight agility. If the Socket bonus is +20 Agi or more, it's usually worth it to socket for that, UNLESS the sockets are something like Yellow/Blue. If you have a Red/Yellow socket or a Red/Blue Socket, then you should socket for those, bearing the bonus in mind. Fill Blues with Agi/Hit gems and Yellows with Agi/Crit. Socket Bonuses which give secondary stats (crit, hit, mastery, haste) are not worth it.

About meta gems, currently the meta requirement is stupid (requires more blues than reds). This includes the Wrath agility meta. However, this is being changed in 4.0.6 to "requires 3 reds." IMO don't worry about gemming correctly for your meta right now, wait until 4.0.6

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    forty wrote: »
    The gun silencer add-on should be buffed to shut the stompy pets the fuck up.

Also the buzzing pets. I was digging the Wasp I picked up in Un'Goro but that constant buzzing drove me to Abandon him in less then 5 minutes.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dibby wrote: »

Not too sure on MM, but shouldn't be too far off from SV. For reforging: Hit until capped (8%) > Crit > Mastery > Haste. Don't worry too much about reforging stats other than hit unless you like min/maxing.

Haste is in a pretty weird spot right now actually. It's still pretty "meh." Currently the only use of Haste (again, speaking from a SV perspective) is to reduce Cobra Shot to a ~1.67 cast time. You will virtually notice 0 change in focus regen from getting haste from gear, so you should never actively gear for it (via reforging or gems). This /should/ hopefully change when the new haste code rolls around in 4.0.6, which should make it much more attractive. Not exactly sure on the specifics of that though.

For gemming, typically you want straight agility. If the Socket bonus is +20 Agi or more, it's usually worth it to socket for that, UNLESS the sockets are something like Yellow/Blue. If you have a Red/Yellow socket or a Red/Blue Socket, then you should socket for those, bearing the bonus in mind. Fill Blues with Agi/Hit gems and Yellows with Agi/Crit. Socket Bonuses which give secondary stats (crit, hit, mastery, haste) are not worth it.

About meta gems, currently the meta requirement is stupid (requires more blues than reds). This includes the Wrath agility meta. However, this is being changed in 4.0.6 to "requires 3 reds." IMO don't worry about gemming correctly for your meta right now, wait until 4.0.6

I believe that change was reverted. I use http://www.femaledwarf.com/ for all of my reforging needs. I think haste will become more valuble post patch, considering that we literally never stop shooting until the target is dead or we press escape, movement included.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Crumblycracker, what is this thing you linked? I think it goes to the wrong address.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You are correct, it is http://www.femaledwarf.com/ . I am running on caffeine atm. Fixed my link in the post too.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    I'm only a distant 2nd to the shadow priest in my 10m when Blizz clearly thinks surv is OP and shadowpriests are underpowered.
    Wait, what? Shadow priests are pretty high tier right now. Below Survival, of course, but not by a lot.

forty on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Also the buzzing pets. I was digging the Wasp I picked up in Un'Goro but that constant buzzing drove me to Abandon him in less then 5 minutes.
    Amen, brother. That insect flying noise gives me the creeps.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    I'm only a distant 2nd to the shadow priest in my 10m when Blizz clearly thinks surv is OP and shadowpriests are underpowered.
    Wait, what? Shadow priests are pretty high tier right now. Below Survival, of course, but not by a lot.

Sorry, I guess I haven't been keeping up with hotfixes to other classes. The last blue post on class dps I read was a few weeks ago.

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shadow priests are messed up in that Mind Blast/their mastery are not a big enough part of their DPS as they should be, but their overall damage is just fine. So basically they suffer from a design issue but not a class balance issue.

I know survival is the only viable PvE spec for hunters right now, but what about PvP? Is it pretty much go survival or go home as well?

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shadow priests are messed up in that Mind Blast/their mastery are not a big enough part of their DPS as they should be, but their overall damage is just fine. So basically they suffer from a design issue but not a class balance issue.

I know survival is the only viable PvE spec for hunters right now, but what about PvP? Is it pretty much go survival or go home as well?

Why is Survival the only viable PvE spec? I'm running BM and having no problems. I found Survival to be boring. (Note: Level 61).

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Why is Survival the only viable PvE spec? I'm running BM and having no problems. I found Survival to be boring. (Note: Level 61).

Survival damage at this point is pretty awesome and better than BM/MM by quite some margin. This all changes in the next patch where it looks like certain styles of MM will be higher dps than Survival but standard rotation models will come out about equal. No idea on BM since I didn't do any testing on it.

Junpei on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I could have been more clear. All specs are fine for just leveling or farting around in dungeons/non-progression content, but if you want to contribute to a raid right now, there's really no choice but survival. Its damage potential is far higher than the other specs, and under most circumstances you'll be gimping the raid's DPS (and thus capability to down bosses) by not playing Survival.

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I could have been more clear. All specs are fine for just leveling or farting around in dungeons/non-progression content, but if you want to contribute to a raid right now, there's really no choice but survival. Its damage potential is far higher than the other specs, and under most circumstances you'll be gimping the raid's DPS (and thus capability to down bosses) by not playing Survival.

Ah, got ya. Yeah, I'm def. not a Raider or min/maxer, I just like playing. My giant red wolf owns shit well enough for me!

I'm enjoying BM so far, and I tend to do rather well in PvP. (again, still not max level).

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, for your situation, I wouldn't worry about it at all and just stick with what you like. As an added bonus, you're going to get a pretty nice buff when the patch eventually hits.

forty on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the first set piece you should get with 1650 conquest points?

After you've gotten your weapon I mean.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Trinket 4tw if you don't have one already.

If not, go for the 4 piece bonus, because it's OP.

If you have that, go for the piece that would be the biggest upgrade.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well what I mean is I have the blue pvp set + arena bow + blue trinkets and I just got another 1650 conq so I'm wondering if should go for gloves/shoulders or keep saving up for the 2h since that's the only item I still have that isn't packing resilience.

Glyph on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glyph wrote: »
    What's the first set piece you should get with 1650 conquest points?

After you've gotten your weapon I mean.

Your OTHER weapon. I went Bow ---> Polearm. Now every week will be another upgrade from here out.

Shame I lose a ton of stats by trying to dual wield. I wanted to stick a weapon chain on the offhand.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I started a goblin hunter back in december when i was visiting family and playing from a laptop. I've been having alot of fun with him and ignoring my main warlock until blizzard decides just which way they want to insert the massive dildo to the class.

Anyway, When i solo, and quest as BM spec and using a crab, things just die before they touch me..and 90% of the time by the time kill shot comes up, i press it and it gets to the mob, its dead already.

When i go into dungeons, things die pretty quickly...but....im not very high on the damage meter.

I'm not sure if im just missing a basic law of huntism or if im just playing with people more tricked out then i am. Cause i rarely get in meele, I havent spent a whole lot of time playing with gear optimazation except to try and get the best bow/gun/xbox. I basically am running on quest rewards and boss drops and if its got more agil/crit on it then my current piece i grab it. I'm currently level 63, and have some questions.

Should i be going for fast ranged weapon, lower damage or higher damage, slower weapon?
    Should i be saving my focus for kill command above everything, or is it okay to arcane shot (and keep serpent sting up).
    People might ask why im still using a crab...well since i solo so much its great for pinning, and does some pretty good damage. I've grabbed a few other pets to test but they just havent been as good so far. when i get to 69, and get exotics, ill be swapping some pets and getting a solid dps one.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weapon speed: Don't think this matters anymore. I don't think I have even seen any "fast" bows in a long time, but at your range there are probably still some floating around.
    Rotation: For BM I think it is keep serpent up, spam Kill Command, use arcane if you have the focus for it and fill time with steady shot (until you get cobra).

For dungeons you should use a cunning or ferocity pet instead of a tenacity one, but it probably doesn't make much of a difference at your level.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i'm 85 now, and just getting in to doing normal Cata Dungeons. Having literally no experience with CCing mobs (I think i've used my Frost Trap....once? while levelling) I'm finding it a rough transition. I don't mind CCing stuff as I used to play a Mage and keeping something polyed was par for the course. But I'm finding it a much different task to CC something with a trap than just clicking it and pressing polymorph.

Any tips/tricks I should know about utilizing my Frost Trap properly? Right now I'm misdirecting on to the tank before a Pull and tossing my frost trap on the target we want to CC in order to initiate the fight. That seems to work ok, but during boss battles when they want me to CC a specific target that shows up later, i'm having difficulty getting the job done. My current strategy is to drop my trap and aggro the new mob to get it to move over to me and hit the trap. But between the Tank aoe threat building stuff and the parties general aoe damage how do I pull this off quickly and effectively?

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png