As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [*RESULTS*]

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    PC gaming has been dying for as long as anyone can remember, but still retains significant power and influence.

Basically, PC gaming is the God-Emperor of Mankind.

gabeemperor.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    What's your point? It sucks either way.

Nope, it's actually totally sweet

Sure as shit better than MP2 or 3

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    What's your point? It sucks either way.

Nope, it's actually totally sweet

Sure as shit better than MP2 or 3

It sure is shit compared to MP2 or 3. Underneath the insulting story and awkward controls is a mediocre game, with serviceable gameplay and bland environments. There were some good ideas in the game, but all of them were executed poorly, and there is nothing compelling me to ever touch the game again.

Arteen on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Glad to see the right game won, and by a fucking landslide too from that distantly second-placed pretender. Good job, PAers.

Jazz? More like Jizz all over Mass Effect 2 because you have a hard on for weird science fiction alien sex and melodrama . . . or something.

But at least you didn't have to throw a tantrum due to some other game winning. Like anything else deserved it. Pfffftttt.

I see what you did thar! Bwahahaha. And damn right I do.
    ;-)
    In all seriousness, there were at least five, if not more games this year that could've taken the crown and I'd have been happy to applaud. I'm actually genuinely shocked it was such a landslide. Happy, but shocked.

Thats cool, I just had to give you shit because of the way you worded things at first there.

Most of these Game of the Year polls that I have seen either have Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect 2 as the winner so it must be a pretty good game. Of the sites I follow, IGN gave the award to ME2 while Game Revolution and 1Up gave it to RDR. Just for fun, here is Game of the Year breakdown of the main three winners (Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2) according to Wikipedia:
    By the end of 2010, Mass Effect 2 won numerous awards from various video game journalists and outlets. G4 X-Play awarded it Game of the Year, along with Best writing and Best role-playing game. IGN awarded the game Xbox 360 game of the year, among Best Story, Best Character (for Thane Krios), Best Sci-Fi game and Best Blockbuster game, for the 360 category, while it also won Best Story, Best Soundtrack, Best Character (for the Illusive Man), Best Visuals and Best Sci-Fi game for the PC category.

During the 2010 Spike Video Game Awards, the game won the awards for "Best Xbox 360 Game", "Studio of the Year" (for its developer, BioWare), "Best RPG", and it was nominated for "Game of the Year", "Best PC Game", "Best Original Score", "Best Performance by a Human Male" (for Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man), "Best Performance by a Human Female" (for Jennifer Hale as Commander Shepard – female version, and Yvonne Strahovski as Miranda Lawson), "Best DLC" (for Lair of the Shadow Broker), and "Most Anticipated Game of 2010".

During its year-end series of awards, GameTrailers gave the game the awards for "Best RPG",[109] "Best Story" and Game of the Year. Screw Attack ranked the game as top game of 2010 as voted for by users. IGN Australia chose the game as the best game of 2010.
    Since its release, the game (Red Dead Redemption) has received a large amount of awards. It has been recognized as one of the best games of 2010. It won several Game of the Year awards from media outlets such as Good Game, Computer and Video Games and Machinima.com. The game's music also received awards for its original score from GameSpot, Machinima.com, and Spike TV. José González also received an award from Spike for his original song, Far Away. The graphics received honors at the Korean Games Conference, and from the TV show Good Game. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare also received Best Downloadable content awards from Spike TV, G4 TV and Game Revolution.]
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 has received Game of the Year 2010 awards from GamesMaster, Official Nintendo Magazine, Edge Magazine, Games Magazine, Destructoid, and Metacritic.

I'm partial to agree with the guys in this spoiler myself. :P

On the subject of Metroid I really need to get around to finishing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I don't have much of a backlog or anything but that is in there. I thought Echoes was a pretty badass game and almost enjoyed it as much as the first. Haven't played Other M yet, but I really want to check it out at some point.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glad to see the right game won, and by a fucking landslide too from that distantly second-placed pretender. Good job, PAers.

Jazz? More like Jizz all over Mass Effect 2 because you have a hard on for weird science fiction alien sex and melodrama . . . or something.

But at least you didn't have to throw a tantrum due to some other game winning. Like anything else deserved it. Pfffftttt.

I see what you did thar! Bwahahaha. And damn right I do.
    ;-)
    In all seriousness, there were at least five, if not more games this year that could've taken the crown and I'd have been happy to applaud. I'm actually genuinely shocked it was such a landslide. Happy, but shocked.

Thats cool, I just had to give you shit because of the way you worded things at first there.

'Twas said with tongue firmly planted in cheek; but in all honesty I didn't care for RDR much, hence the hint of belligerence. ;-)

Jazz on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Auberon wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

Probably hurt a little by the fact that it's not out for PC yet.

No.

Just, no.

ACII wasn't out for PC until March of 2010 but that didn't hurt its rankings last year

It's primarily a console game and the retarded DRM on PC assures that everyone should play it that way

Ubisoft patched out most of the DRM recently (link).

Rook on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just buy AC on Steam and problem is solved.

er

it is on steam right? I'm sure i saw it on there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Just buy AC on Steam and problem is solved.

er

it is on steam right? I'm sure i saw it on there.

Yes, AC2 is:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/33230/

It is supposed to be Steamplay-based now, but I don't know if I have heard whether or not they completely removed the Ubi-based DRM/cloud saves and just replaced it with the Steam DRM and Steam Cloud. That makes me wonder if this switch to Steamplay well after release for AC2 is a sign of things to come for the PC version of Brotherhood.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spacebios wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

You can play Castle Crashers for free on the PC. It's a lot better too.

Wait, what?

Like, the actual XBLA game?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Angry Birds is going to be ported to WP7? It's an awesome game, and I hope it comes soon!

Wait, what?

He clarified earlier that he confused it with a flash game called Crush the Castle.

Peewi on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Wait, what?

He clarified earlier that he confused it with a flash game called Crush the Castle.

Indeed I did.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Wait, what?

Indeed I did.

Hmm. Castle Crashing versus Castle Crushing.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tune out sticky threads so I kind of missed this year's voting. Though I guess it's fine since the correct game won.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I tune out sticky threads so I kind of missed this year's voting. Though I guess it's fine since the correct game won.

This happens to me a lot, too. Kind of counterproductive of the feature.

Adus on
  • Options
    Raider MonkeyRaider Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't read through the entire thread, and missed the voting...I am happy with ME2 winning, though.
    My favorite part about the list though, was that Yakuza 3 actually ranked (relatively) high. Had I voted, would've been my number one. :D

Raider Monkey on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blue map wrote: »
    Looking at the list, i'm kind of surprised that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood didn't place higher. Admittedly eleven is hardly a poor showing in a year absolutely packed with fantastic games, but even so, that game had pretty much everything you'd expect in a full Assassin's Creed game plus an absolutely phenomenal multiplayer portion.

I don't know about everyone else, but I rated it lower than I did AC2 last year because it felt like an expansion. AC2 had already finished Ezio's character arc so the Brotherhood's story didn't go anywhere new and felt a bit tacked on. It was still a fun game, they added some good features and I ended up putting as much time into it as I did AC2 but yeah, some bits were disappointing.

It wasn't really marketed terribly well either, they placed too much emphasis on the multiplayer and seemed to make some doubt the scale of the single player.
    I didn't read through the entire thread, and missed the voting...I am happy with ME2 winning, though.
    My favorite part about the list though, was that Yakuza 3 actually ranked (relatively) high. Had I voted, would've been my number one. :D

I think I voted for it as my number 3. It would've been higher if the story and pacing had been a bit better. Pity Yakuza 4 is coming out this year, I've heard so many people describe it as the best game of the series but even then I can't imagine I'll think it's better than Uncharted 3, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 or Infamous 2.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ouch, we weren't even in the runnings. :(

ME2 was pretty awesome though; I don't feel bad losing to it.

Firgof on
    Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, Kotaku just released the results to their Readers' Choice Award:
    http://kotaku.com/5741734/game-of-the-year-2010-the-readers-choice-award

Black Ops #2? Hmm.... I like the PA community's rankings better, but I think they had a multiple choice selection with a write-in vote.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LOL NBA2k11 charted? That's so cute.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Black Ops was their number 2?

Yeah, let's go ahead and not ever bring up anything Kotaku related ever again.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    LOL NBA2k11 charted? That's so cute.

Again, I think it was multiple choice with a write-in field. But still.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Black Ops was their number 2?

Yeah, let's go ahead and not ever bring up anything Kotaku related ever again.

It's kind of weird, in that I like a lot of other games better, but there's absolutely no way I'll put more time into any other game throughout this entire next year than I will into BlOps. So, I can't be mad that it's on their list, though I think it gets high marks for me only because thousands of hours of playtime for $60 is pretty awesome.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know what you mean. I don't mean to insinuate that BlOps is a bad game by any means, it's just so rehashed and boring at this point.

I guess I'm just usually in opposition to the pluralist vote. Hell, Alan Wake was my number 2.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love the shit out of black ops but nothing within was surprising, it's just like a straight line logical progression of what came before

Actually that's a lie, the singleplayer was surprisingly awesome in that it was cold war era, and I have a soft spot for games set in the cold war

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know when this thread will be locked/dropped/popped, but I want to be clear that when I point out its "overrated-ness" I don't think Black Ops is a bad or worthless game or putting down anyone who plays it. I haven't even played it, or any CoD game since the very early WWII ones. I'm just saying that it is interesting how far down it is on our PA list(s) compared to the demographic at Kotaku. And keep in mind that ME2 still won handily there, and RDR still did quite well.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would have voted Black Ops fairly high if the devs had gotten the issues with the PC version ironed out sooner (or at all). I had quite a bit of fun with it considering how borked it was. Sure, it borrows its core from the previous COD games, but that's not a bad base to build upon.

But since those issues weren't resolved... it didn't crack my Top 20, and I doubt I'll be given them my money for future installments.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, I guess I posted my GOTY vote in the thread before this one, the preliminary voting thread. Is there a way to see what I wrote? I'm trying to enter a contest about my GOTY and I want to be correct in what I write.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey, I guess I posted my GOTY vote in the thread before this one, the preliminary voting thread. Is there a way to see what I wrote? I'm trying to enter a contest about my GOTY and I want to be correct in what I write.

Check your old subscribed threads from your User Control Panel? I'd get you the link but I'm using the terrible Blackberry browser right now.

Edit:
    Here we go: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17827700&postcount=66

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for that. I know it's a server thing but not having search really hampers my ability to use the forum in the ways I need to.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for that. I know it's a server thing but not having search really hampers my ability to use the forum in the ways I need to.

No problem. I don't post in too many threads, so it wasn't too bad to find that thread in my history.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    LalabuLalabu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mass effect 2 is epic. I'm losing motivation to finish it. I think I rather restart with a new class.
    Do you guys replay Mass Effect 2? Is it satisfying over and over again?

Lalabu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lalabu wrote: »
    Mass effect 2 is epic. I'm losing motivation to finish it. I think I rather restart with a new class.

I tried playing through again because the ending I got wasn't really to my satisfaction

I can't do it, though

The shooting's fine enough for one playthrough, massively improved over the first game, but it still feels like a chore to slog through just to change some of my story bits

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I tried playing through again because the ending I got wasn't really to my satisfaction

I can't do it, though

The shooting's fine enough for one playthrough, massively improved over the first game, but it still feels like a chore to slog through just to change some of my story bits

Man, I can't believe that I'm doing this, but I agree with UV. Depending how far it is though, it may be better to just turn the difficulty down and grind through it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The Mass Effect 2 thread is one of the most active ones in this forum and there are people in it who have completed the game upwards of eight times. So, you know, it really depends on how much you like the gameplay.

Z0re on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've played through many, many times just to try out the classes. Many of them are so different that it's absolutely worth it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm on my fourth play through now, and each one has been unique and enjoyable. There are so many ways you can make your way through the game, and so much content, it really is fun to play multiple times.

And really, I'm on the light end of the scale. There are plenty of people in the ME thread with double (or more) my number of play throughs.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The amount of dialogue and story in the game you miss by only doing one playthrough (even a completionist playthrough) is staggering. There's even more to play around with if you have the PC version and edit the .ini file that the game runs on...there's a lot of content that was cut or changed around so that you couldn't access it in the correct order to see certain bits of dialogue (trying not to spoiler stuff here).

If the gameplay isn't your thing (and I can sort of see how it wouldn't be, but for the genre that ME2 belongs to, its amazing), then it could be difficult to slog through, but if you enjoy the gameplay there is absolutely every reason to play through the game four, five, six, or more times.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe if I did different things every time, it would be more entertaining

But I can't

Only one way feels right

Maybe that's a testament to how strongly I feel about the characters in that game, I don't know. I don't like fucking up my continuity.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    But even from a purely story perspective, going through the game with two different squadmates for each mission adds a pretty hefty chunk of new dialogue to the game.

And for those who do like the gameplay (I realise you don't) each class plays pretty differently, although I never saw the appeal of the Sentinel or Engineer classes.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    From a purely story perspective, fuck those aliens. Miranda and Jacob all the way. I am a true Cerberus operative 8-)

But now I'm actually doing a second playthrough as a female Shepard (which is still odd to me, I'm so used to male Shep's voice), but that means my beloved Ashley is gone and that asshole Kaidan lived :x

UnbreakableVow on