As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Remote PC Access

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
I'd like to be able to access my PC over the internet, for a couple of reasons: run programs there that I can't install on my netbook, run stuff while at work, and to be able to use my netbook as a remote control for my PC while in my house.
I've googled remote pc access, and a ton of programs come up, but I'm not sure which can be trusted, and if some are better than others. Does anyone have any recommendations?

AnteCantelope on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've used VNC (RealVNC, actually) in the past. It works well. No idea what kind of security concerns there might be, though...perhaps others can chime in.

mcdermott on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I've used VNC (RealVNC, actually) in the past. It works well. No idea what kind of security concerns there might be, though...perhaps others can chime in.

It's just that I work in a high school, so if someone gets on my computer there could be child protection issues, so I need to know I'm not downloading something that's going to open my computers up to remote access from anywhere.

Also, it would be ideal if this could be done without installing anything on the computer that accesses my PC. I can install whatever on my computer at home, but might be using any of 100ish computers to access it, so something with web-based access or something would be great.

AnteCantelope on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm partial to LogMeIn's free service. Browser-based remote login through their site. Easy to install client.

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I'm partial to LogMeIn's free service. Browser-based remote login through their site. Easy to install client.

That sounds great, but they seem to be down at the moment.

AnteCantelope on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page is launching fine from here

logmein.com

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Page is launching fine from here

logmein.com

Trying it from home now and it's working. Hopefully that doesn't mean that it was blocked at work, I didn't get the 'blocked site' error.

AnteCantelope on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another Alt program to use is TeamViewer. Works well with little configuration.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, we use Teamviewer where I work. I have it on my desktops at home and work, on my work laptop, on my wife's laptop, on my kid's computer, and also on my iPad. It's quite handy.

citizen059 on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i've used logmein, teamviewer, and mostly beamyourscreen.

For your use logmein or teamviewer would be a good choice, beamyourscreen is more for setting up presentations with other people and would cost you a yearly license.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Remote Desktop is the best in terms of speed usually, it limits what you can run in RDP mode though, some DX things won't open at all. But if we're talking about just opening up firefox or something then you'd be fine.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have used logmein quite a bit before the free version will do all the things you need. I have used it off and on for a few years. You don't get audio or file transfer with the free version but you get 30 days of the pro version for free. I have also used gotomypc and it works really well too but has no free version. They also have a 30 day trial so you can try it out before buying something.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If the machine runs XP Pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, or 7 Pro you might as well just use Remote Desktop. It's built in.

Azio on
    edited January 2011
    I'm only on 7 premium, unfortunately. I saw that Pro had remote desktop, but it's something like $150 extra, and I just didn't figure it was worth it.

AnteCantelope on