As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PC Gamepad Thread

13»

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bedlam: No, the 360 controller does not use Bluetooth. It's Microsoft's own proprietary shit. But if you wanted a 360 pad as well as a classic controller/Wiimote combo, the best option would be a wired 360 pad and a cheapo BT dongle.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Blueknight78cBlueknight78c Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I used to use a PSX-USB adaptor, and that gave me access to the best console controller in history:

alpspad.jpg

Seriously, there has never been a console controller more comfortable, more durable, and more responsive. Ever.

Am I the only one that saw that controller, and thought about this:
    PS3-Controller-to-be-Redesigned.jpg
    Oh what could have been:cry:

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not really a game pad (I already got me one of them)
    I was considering a Z-board. Are they worth the money? They are rather expensive for a keyboard, and I just wanted to know if they're worth the price. Of course anything would be an upgrade from the thing I salvaged from a 10 year old crap heap..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I used to use a PSX-USB adaptor, and that gave me access to the best console controller in history:

alpspad.jpg

Seriously, there has never been a console controller more comfortable, more durable, and more responsive. Ever.

Yeah, when those were still going to be the standard controllers, I was ecstatic.

My hopes and dreams were shattered when they got rid of them, due to people that have never used them who kept bitching and calling it a batarang.

If only they had given the controller a chance. If they were anything at all like the Alps Interactive controller, they would have been the best controllers in the history of the universe.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

alpspad.jpg

Yeah, when those were still going to be the standard controllers, I was ecstatic.

My hopes and dreams were shattered when they got rid of them, due to people that have never used them who kept bitching and calling it a batarang.

If only they had given the controller a chance. If they were anything at all like the Alps Interactive controller, they would have been the best controllers in the history of the universe.

Nope. Tilted D-Pad FTL. It's the Sidewinder Freestyle Pro all over again... and trust me, the motion-sensing aspect of both is just a coincidence that I am not referring to.

It as if they got so carried away with ergonomics that they didn't realize that "up" is still naturally and instinctively "up" no matter what angle your thumb is resting at. Designed by gamers for gamers? I think not. Even the DualShock(2)/SIXAXIS design was just a knee-jerk reaction to the competition with no real thought other than "where can we shoehorn these in to our current knock-off pad?" The original PSone pad it is based on was only as good as it was because it was basically an SNES controller with handles and a horrid sunken D-Pad (to avoid Nintendo's trademark which has since expired). Thankfully the D-Pad had improved greatly. Just add two of everything Nintendo adds and you get the DualShock (two sets of shoulder buttons, two analog sticks, two rumble motors, etc). I'm surprised the PS2 didn't have eight controller ports.

Thank God they didn't release the Bananna-rang controller. Even if it's been done right in the past, they were set to screw it up again. Though I don't like it, at least the SIXAXIS carries the benefits from all their improvements over the years (yeah, LOL about the rumble if you want). When they finally decide to make a modern gamepad that promotes analog control for 3D games,* it will be obsolete too thanks to the Wii and what is sure to follow.

*the SIXAXIS D-Pad placement is a relic of the 2D era that the Playstation failed to innovate away from in the original design. Back then, analog thumbsticks were called "3D control sticks" for a reason.

There's always the chance that they may want to differentiate the force-feedback PS3 controllers with that scary design you admire, but if they are going to change design then they should get with the program and make a modern dual-analog contoller with staggered analog sticks and a lowered D-Pad. None of that legacy crap that's a relic of the SNES. Thankfully, with the SIXAXIX, they've already gone with a "best of both worlds" shoulder button method (the XBOX S-Controller really should have had six face buttons arranged similarly to the larger one if it wasn't going to have proper shoulder buttons for arcade fighters). That's one step in the right direction.

CZroe on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Logicow wrote: »
    I have a wired Logitech Rumblepad 2. The analog pads have square sockets but the dpads are good. I recommend it over the 360 gamepad for the dpad alone. (And I shouldn't say that, because I never really used a 360 gamepad.)

"The analog pads have square sockets"

As a PC controller should. Ever see the calibration range? USB adapters screw that up by converting the circular ranges to square ranges, so you can't expect the gameplay to work right. Don't even get me started on the PS3 supporting USB adapters meant for PC! I guess Microsoft doesn't really care for the 360 controller on PC because they expect games to be made specifically for it as part of the Games for Windows program so they should be aware of the axis range and button captions.

CZroe on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    Bedlam: No, the 360 controller does not use Bluetooth. It's Microsoft's own proprietary shit. But if you wanted a 360 pad as well as a classic controller/Wiimote combo, the best option would be a wired 360 pad and a cheapo BT dongle.
    Thanks a bunch, though I guess I would have figured it out myself its nice to plan ahead.
    And I cant go back to wired controllers. After the Wii its just so nice and freeing that I refuse to be enslaved by wires again. The good news is that the rig I'm getting has plenty of USB ports so I think I'll be good for a little bit.

Also Hi5 Hadji I'm doing the same thing.

Bedlam on