As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OK, so I am removing my key from the post, per the below.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BADIDEABADIDEAREMOVEREMOVE

I only say this because that's friggin' google bait.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    BADIDEABADIDEAREMOVEREMOVE

I only say this because that's friggin' google bait.

We learned this with the vindictus beta keys. Each user had two keys for each one they used and we had a list but non forumers were eating them up and not responding back with keys.

It sucked.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited January 2011
    Will spoiler tags help, or I have started something I cannot stop?

JohnHam on
    signature.png

edited January 2011
    Nah a spoilered thing can still get a hit on Google.

I mean you can leave it up no problem honestly, ALL of us practically have a 25-use key after all.

Just there is no guarantee a PAer will use yours.

Arthil on
  • theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have one of those 25 use beta keys too,
    24 applications left.

theconductor221 on
    edited January 2011
    Well I removed it! Just ask in the thread then, dudes who want keys.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy moly, someone should hook me up with a key. I'll touch you behind an olive garden.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking for a key if anyone can help out.

edit: got it thanks!

Topia on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Seems I'm downloading the client at 11 megs/second.

I had no idea my pipes went to eleven.

Echo on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Can you download the client in advance somewhere? The page just says I need to wait for an event.

I just got the invite email about 20 minutes after I signed up for an account, so check your email and/or account management page if you haven't already.

Lawndart on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Megabytes?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would certainly enjoy a beta key. I actually hadn't done any reading whatsoever about this until now. It seems like all the things I wanted from Warhammer Online (dynamic PVP, interesting class system) but better.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Edit: Got a key, thanks again.

fsmith1 on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Megabytes?

Echo has superior euro-intertubes, and likes to lord it over the rest of us

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    I would certainly enjoy a beta key. I actually hadn't done any reading whatsoever about this until now. It seems like all the things I wanted from Warhammer Online (dynamic PVP, interesting class system) but better.

Thanks in advance ^_^.

Well the PvP isn't the focus of the game.

At all.

Also I should have 19 uses left on my code.

Arthil on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    edit; nevermind it's just really slow.

Topia on
    edited January 2011
    Wait. You wait pretty much, might take an hour might be the day before the event starts but you'll get the 'invite' and be able to download the client.

Arthil on
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Thanks in advance ^_^.

Well the PvP isn't the focus of the game.

At all.

Also I should have 19 uses left on my code.

I know it's not the focus per se, but the dev videos made it look like warfronts and open rifts would be places ripe for PVP. Is that not the case?

fsmith1 on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I know it's not the focus per se, but the dev videos made it look like warfronts and open rifts would be places ripe for PVP. Is that not the case?

From what I've heard that's how they plan it out to be on PvP servers. Warfronts for queues, fighting over rifts for open world stuff.

Anyways, going back a wee bit I'd like to also toss my hat into the Guardian for Beta/Defiant for Release trend. I've already got a Defiant to level 27, and, since I plan on rerolling as a cleric (or rogue, or mage, or another warrior...damn!) next beta I'd prefer not to go through the same levels over again. Was the survey we started to fill out for a release guild or a beta guild?

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    So, reading up. You get to mix and match a bunch of sub-classes? Are there respecs, or are you locked to what you pick?

Echo on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To all the new people getting in on the beta - Welcome!

Get a key, make an account at the Rift site, wait a bit (couple hours or so), you'll get all the info you need in your inbox.

Beta 5 starts TUESDAY. By popular vote, we will be forming a guild on the RP-PvP server. By my personal edict + ironclad logic*, we will be going GUARDIAN faction for the beta. If you aren't down with this, you can of course feel free to do whatever you want.

Check out the character builder here if you want to play around with different builds: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

*Guardians seem to be underpopulated at the moment, so they have instant queues rather than 10+ minute waits for the Defiant. Factions are otherwise the same, except for racial abilities (defiant have one obviously OP racial for all archetypes, guardians have one slightly less obviously OP racial but only for rogues and mages).

Ellthiteren on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, reading up. You get to mix and match a bunch of sub-classes? Are there respecs, or are you locked to what you pick?

Not sure about respecs, although if I had to guess I'd say almost certainly

How it works is you choose a "Calling", ie Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage (GO GO D&D)

Then each of those has some nine talent trees associated with them, and you construct a class by choosing three of those talent trees.

And you can have four different setups at any given time, but they all have to be within your Calling.

So if you're a Warrior you might have one setup that's Paladin/Reaver/Warlord for Tanking, and then a Champion/Riftblade/Beastmaster for DPS, and maybe something like Vindicator/Champion/Void Knight for PvP, or something like that.

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    Anyways, going back a wee bit I'd like to also toss my hat into the Guardian for Beta/Defiant for Release trend. I've already got a Defiant to level 27, and, since I plan on rerolling as a cleric (or rogue, or mage, or another warrior...damn!) next beta I'd prefer not to go through the same levels over again. Was the survey we started to fill out for a release guild or a beta guild?

Survey was for a beta guild. I honestly expect enough interest by launch for guilds in both factions, but we really don't need to worry about that for a month yet (til the headstart begins).

Echo - you pick an archetype - warrior, mage, cleric, rogue - which you are locked into. Then you have a bunch of souls within each archetype that you combine in various ways. You can have four builds at any time, that you can switch between at any time, and you can respec them pretty easily.

Ellthiteren on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Up to 4 specs you can switch between on the fly. Pretty sure you can respec any of the 4 by talking to a trainer.

ghost_master2000 on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To add to what Maddoc says, if Beta 5 goes anything like Beta 4 you'll get to pick a soul (read: talent tree) with your very first quest, a second soul with the very next quest, and a third soul shortly after that, and all of this before you leave the tutorial. If you're not sure what soul you want, you can also 'inspect' each soul before you pick one. This gives you an overview of the 'branches' (the place where you stick your points) and 'roots' (the abilities unlocked by plugging points into said branches) as well as a quick blurb about if it's a DPS/Tank/Healer/Support tree etc. To get the other souls, you either

A) Need the PvP rank to unlock them (applies only to PvP specific souls)

or

B) Need to get a quest at level 13 (I think), get an item from doing semi-well in a rift, kill a corrupted soul, capture it, and bing, you unlock whatever soul you did the quest for for one of your other talent specs.

As for talent points, you get 1 every level and an extra every 3rd level. You can't, however, put more points into a tree than you have levels (at least until max level) so if you're putting every 'main' point into a single tree the extra point you get will have to be spent in one of your secondary trees. It's all sounds super complex, but it makes sense once you get in game.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    So just as a random question for those who have tinkered with the Warrior calling, would a Paragon/Beast Master/Riftblade be a decent idea? I'm thinking Paragon and Beast Master can go together quite well, just not sure what to do for that third one.

Course I don't HAVE to have a third one, technically.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    So just as a random question for those who have tinkered with the Warrior calling, would a Paragon/Beast Master/Riftblade be a decent idea? I'm thinking Paragon and Beast Master can go together quite well, just not sure what to do for that third one.

Course I don't HAVE to have a third one, technically.

Riftblade ought to go just fine with Paragon, their abilities seem like they're designed so that they work well regardless of whether you're using a 1h weapon, 2h weapon, or dual wielding.

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    I haven't played warriors at all, but my general advice for builds, especially at lower levels, is to pick one thing and be really good at it. Your primary soul defines how the build is going to play and what role it is going to fill, and your other two souls should be used to make it do those things better. Don't worry so much about having more options - something you'll use every second is way better than something you might use every couple minutes, in general. More damage, more aoe, more healing, more tanking, whatever. Leveling up is more necessary than in Rift than in other MMOs simply so you can take the time to figure out what works and slowly tack more complexity on as you go.

Ellthiteren on
    edited January 2011
    And I suppose Beast Master is kind of a no-brainer simply for having a pet?

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    The theorycrafter in me giggles at the idea of mixing and matching a healer class.

Echo on
  • KalgarethKalgareth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll ante up for a beta key as well if anyone has a spare.

Key Acquired. Thank you much.

Kalgareth on
    edited January 2011
    I do know that Clerics have three different kinds of healing, kind of. HoT focused, Direct Heal focused, and I think one has shields and absorbing.

Plus you could play a Rogue and heal being a bard, kind of. Or a Chloromancer for the Mage and heal really well while DoTing everything up.

Also Clerics can tank!

Shame Mages don't have a Tanky Soul =(.

Arthil on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Soul Builder

Not sure how up to date it is, but will help you wrap your mind around the way the branches and roots work.

Neurotika on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Low level pets are really meh, unless you put points into beastmaster, there are def other things that would help more.

Paladins are the best tanks that I have seen, but Ill try out a cleric tank next.

Tanking is life.

MrIamMe on
    edited January 2011
    ZAM's soul builder is the most up to date there is, and the most stable.

Both of the ones linked in that pre-built new OP someone made are more or less useless.

Arthil on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now I'm wondering if I can re-create the Dark Templar from Age Of Conan.

For all of you lucky fuckers who never played AoC, the Dark Templar is basically half unkillable tanky bastard and half DoT/Life Drain warlock.

Half Reaver, Half Void Knight looks like it could be fun.

Lawndart on
    edited January 2011
    Well keep in mind that a Void Knight is focused on dealing with magical enemies, in fact they get stronger as spells are flung at them. So... Paladin probably for the tough thing, or Warlord.

Arthil on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rogue for me, of course. Something with lots of sneak-y, stick to the shadows then suddenly leap out of them onto unsuspecting mobs. Mostly rabbits, squirrels and the like, because they deserver to be snuck-up-upon-and-ambushed for their cutesey ways. How dare they be cute in my World-Torn-Asunder!

Assuming there are cute, fluffy things to ambush, if not, I pity the small creatures of Telara.

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if I can re-create the Dark Templar from Age Of Conan.

You do that and I'll make a Bear Shaman. :^:

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    On the Rogue thing, I also want to give Saboteur a try. Seriously, EXPLOSIONS! BOMBS! BOOM!

Arthil on
This discussion has been closed.