As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Do mages have a tanky soul? Warriors obviously do, I just saw the Justicar stuff for clerics, and rogues apparently have something too.

Heh, it's funny how I look at souls and instantly compare them to other MMO classes. The Justicar is clearly a Warrior Priest/Disciple of Khaine from WAR.

Echo on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Assuming there are cute, fluffy things to ambush, if not, I pity the small creatures of Telara.

I believe there are achievements unique to each zone to kill small creatures and loot joke items from them, such as killing a squirrel to get it's tears.

As for me, I think Archon/Cloro/Pyro and Riftstalker

SimpsonsParadox on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sadly no they do not, unless the Elementalist pets are able to hold aggro?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

They have Earth elementals that act like tanks, but no clue if that would actually work as a tank for any length of time, or for a party.

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

They have Earth elementals that act like tanks, but no clue if that would actually work as a tank for any length of time, or for a party.

Considering the ability says it only goes up to Level 4... unless, hm.

I'm betting there are multiple ranks, aren't there?

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    Damnit, I'm trying to not get all excited about this. We'll see on Tuesday.

Any word on whether it'll have separate ghettos for US and EU servers? Wouldn't mind playing with the main PA crowd.

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    There are different ones, but from the looks of it you can choose to play on US/EU if you aren't from there.

Arthil on
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah there are multiple ranks of the basic elementalist pet, and it is surprisingly good at taunting a single target. I would have to disable some taunting in groups so he wouldn't die outtaunting things as I was focused on healing the player tank. For soloing he was great!

Nathrak on
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Low level pets are really meh, unless you put points into beastmaster, there are def other things that would help more.

I don't agree. It is true that the champion pet is not so great, even the rangers pet is much stronger but
    a.) it is a 0 point ability and b.) you really want to spent at last 5 points in the beastmaster tree if you
    go with a soul like paragon and the reason is "Survival of the Fittest: chance to hit is increased by +5%"
    on top of that you get with 4 points your pet heal as a base ability.....

Considering the ability says it only goes up to Level 4... unless, hm.

I'm betting there are multiple ranks, aren't there?

Earth pet is strong enough, special if you go with chloromancer even without a upgrade. However if you spent more points
    in your elementalist tree you will get the power to summon the greater earth elemental and he is a beast.
    Good enough to solo elite mobs vs your quicken elements spell (heal pet).

tricon on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, my face is red: after asking for a key via PM (and receiving one; thanks again Bullhead!) I signed up for the Newsletter on a lark and received my own 25-use VIP key in the mail a few hours later. So, long story short, if anyone is still in need of a key, I have loads. Well, 25 uses worth.

sidhaethe on
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking forward to trying the beta just to see how... stable it'll be on my computer.

Like I have a good PC, but I seem to have this curse where any MMO I end up REALLY liking that isn't WoW ends up crashing constantly for me :(...

LOTRO and DCU Online being immediate examples...

Arthil on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the Rogue thing, I also want to give Saboteur a try. Seriously, EXPLOSIONS! BOMBS! BOOM!

Artist's conception:
    l_5dc071e0a7824397b85659be5a97f6eb.jpg

Lawndart on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    On the Rogue thing, I also want to give Saboteur a try. Seriously, EXPLOSIONS! BOMBS! BOOM!

Artist's conception:
    l_5dc071e0a7824397b85659be5a97f6eb.jpg
    evilmidnightbomber.jpg

Saboteur is probably the most interesting Rogue class to me

Maddoc on
    edited January 2011
    Rogues really seem to get the craziest variety of souls.

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    Well Warriors get a type of semi-defensive soul that relies on being hit by spells. A NIGHTMARE for a PC or NPC Magic user.

Arthil on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Always good to see a dev posting, and actually seeming to be interested in what the players are asking for.

This bit though:
    Zzulu wrote: »
    * - The content in the game is supposedly very dynamic. The world will change, areas will transform etc. It's interesting, for sure.

We shall see. Damn near every MMO in the last 5 years have promised this, and I've yet to see one really deliver.

well asherons call did it 10 years ago, but yeah nothing since then.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really not sure what other soulds to use in conjunction with saboteur. Maybe bard and rifstalker just to be some crazy bomb weilding musician that can teleport.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited January 2011
    Considering we have... well, visual proof that it is through the beta? Want a code? >.>

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    So, if I understand correctly you are able to travel (teleport?) to the other faction's zones and do open world pvp that way? At least on pvp servers.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited January 2011
    We aren't really going to be on a PvP server are we?

Seriously?

Arthil on
  • StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone with one of the codes from ten ton hammer get an invite yet?

StuffGuy on
    edited January 2011
    I dunno. I don't think PvP servers will be all that bad. As long as you PvE in a group (isn't there a group xp bonus anyways) you should be safe from any gankers.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited January 2011
    Thing is sometimes you feel like going out on your own, set your own pace.

And some of us probably play late, too. Honestly I wont be joining you guys if you stick with going with a PvP server, just never had anything good come from them.

Arthil on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Even on a PvP server, I don't think you're really exposed to the opposing faction until after level 25 or so. I'm not sure you're even flagged for PvP before that point. Invasions will gank you far more than players will in the first couple zones. After that point, we'll really have to see, but I'm expecting two things: (1) enough of us to be able to at least have a small group if needed, and (2) most people to be focused more on warfronts than world pvp. Public quests will also make emergency grouping up way easier.

Even if you have concerns, I strongly suggest giving it a shot - it's only for a couple beta events, after all.

Ellthiteren on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Same here, not interested in a PvP server.

Bloodshed on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am also really not interested on a PvP server. An RP-PvE server would be more my speed.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    Admittedly that whole survey thing was done before we had such a large influx of people, so basing the server choice off of it now may seem a bit odd.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    Hey, if someone wants to organize something on a PvE server, go for it. There's no way to make everyone happy, people who prefer PvP are going to be just as adamant about not going with a PvE server, and we have more than enough interest for a PvP server, so that's what I'm personally going with.

Ellthiteren on
    edited January 2011
    Unstructured world pvp pretty much always blows ass.

Seeing as how Rift has warfronts/battlegrounds, I'm pretty comfortable going with a PvE server.

Maybe occasionally having cool world pvp is nowhere near worth the frustration of bored max level characters fucking around in low level zones, and they have already basically come out and stated that they won't be doing anything to discourage that sort of behavior.

Maddoc on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unstructured world pvp pretty much always blows ass.

Seeing as how Rift has warfronts/battlegrounds, I'm pretty comfortable going with a PvE server.

Maybe occasionally having cool world pvp is nowhere near worth the frustration of bored max level characters fucking around in low level zones, and they have already basically come out and stated that they won't be doing anything to discourage that sort of behavior.

Word

Neurotika on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't have a strong preference either way, when it comes to PVP/PVE.

Still, if you want to be a real man, you play PVP. That's just science.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And if you want to be a REAL real man you are supposed to go get your 80 frostwizardwhatever and camp the lowbie towns.

It's the only way.

Astale on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are we going to set up a guild for this?

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People have beta keys, apparently?

I was kind of following this thread and it just exploded in the past day or so while I wasn't looking.

edit: got

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited January 2011
    Just ask in the thread for a beta key, someone will hook you up.

I'll be forming a guild for PA people on the Sunrest RP-PvP server, Guardian side, for the rest of the beta.

Ellthiteren on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone wanna set us up for a PvE server?

Bloodshed on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Always good to see a dev posting, and actually seeming to be interested in what the players are asking for.

This bit though:
    Zzulu wrote: »
    * - The content in the game is supposedly very dynamic. The world will change, areas will transform etc. It's interesting, for sure.

We shall see. Damn near every MMO in the last 5 years have promised this, and I've yet to see one really deliver.

well asherons call did it 10 years ago, but yeah nothing since then.

Well, it's already happening in Rift. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I did level 1-10 with two different classes and the exact same quests were sometimes found in different areas, so that's something.

And the whole rift system and invasion thing adds dynamic elements as well.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should probably update the OP with the names of a bunch of people who can give out keys (Due to my own account and my girlfriend's, I have 50 keys to give out, so list me up, yo).

Also, put me into the category of people with no interest whatsoever in playing on a PVP server (not even if you paid me).

As for faction, I'm not sure I have a clear preference. It seems the Defiant side has slightly better racials (the guaranteed crits and +10% crit one in particular is *nuts*), but it's also a lot more popular, which can be good and bad. Bad for queue times, for sure.

Speaking of queues, I sincerely hope they are better at fixing that kind of thing than Blizzard, which really shouldn't be difficult seeing as Blizzard cares fuck all as long as they earn money from people server transferring.

Paragon on
  • blitzmutblitzmut Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    i would be eternally grateful if someone were to give me a VIP access code to the RIFT closed beta. I'll be your tank, healing bitch, whatever you want - indentured MMO servitude if you will. Just PM me and I'm all yours
    further thanks will come in in-game bjs

blitzmut on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My current experience of the PVP server:

Higher level characters can't kill anyone that hasn't specifically flagged themselves for PVP and based on the last four betas level 1-27 let's you chose whether or not you are PVP-flagged. Certain zones (non-starter ones, 20+ zones) will automatically flag for you for PVP but I've so far never been attacked by opposite faction players. They might change this but I doubt they'll open up grief scenarios where higher level characters teleport to lower level zones.

Shanadeus on
This discussion has been closed.