As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum search for TLA

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
Looking through help and advice, wanted to pick up on some sql and php material if there was any, but the function doesn't let you search for keywords less than 4 characters long.

Could you possibly drop that to 3 characters? If not, I'll just trawl through by hand, but damn that's a lot of topics :p

devoir on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    If they did that, then they would have to start indexing words three characters long. And damn, that is a lot of words.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm willing to not be able to egosearch if it means the DB server won't be brought to a screeching halt every time someone tries to search for a 3 letter word. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    if you want to search for something with less than 4 characters, search for "XXX*"

for example, "php*" works.

Edit: because * acts as a wildcard

LewieP on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the workaround.

devoir on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm pretty sure you used to be able to search for three letter words. There was someone with a three letter name (TDL, I think) who used to talk about his ego-searching.

I'm assuming it would take a bit of coding to avoid indexing words like "and" or "the", though, which might be why we don't have it in the new forums.

japan on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you used to be able to search for three letter words. There was someone with a three letter name (TDL, I think) who used to talk about his ego-searching.

I'm assuming it would take a bit of coding to avoid indexing words like "and" or "the", though, which might be why we don't have it in the new forums.

It might only be there because it hasn't come up before. vB's defaults are probably more strict than PHPbb's.

MKR on