As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAGFest Jamspace PART III

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
We've done it at PAX east and PAX prime 2010, SO WHY NOT AGAIN? The JAMSPACE is coming back to PAX! Reused information below (cause I'm LAZY).

Jamspace Attendees:
(post what you play and songs you know to be added to this list!)
  • HelloTheFuture
    Instrument: Guitar
    Songs: Still Alive, Mario, anything with a basic chord progression.
  • NickTheNewbie
    Instrument: Piano
    Songs: Secret of the Forest, Undersea Palace, Ruins of Kishgal, "Chord Change" by camel
  • MTSonic11
    Instrument: Drums
    Songs: She'll figure it out as she goes along.
  • MJPM
    Instrument: Vocals and egg shakers. Yeah, baby.
    Songs: Whatever he knows!
  • RainbowTunnel
    Instrument: Vocals, Piano
    Songs: Still Alive, Pokemon
  • Frugus
    Instrument: Guitar
    Songs: A blues riff in E, watch him for the changes and try to keep up, ok?
  • Binary1230
    Songs: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Katamari, Mega Man, Mario, Zelda, etc.
  • TdarTURbo
    Songs: Captain Falcon Theme F-Zero GX, Kirby Superstar Gourmet Race, Tetris Theme, Blink 182, Ben Folds
  • Hangover_Glory
    Instrument: Vocals
    Songs: hard rock/metal genre
  • Hippowithwings
    Instrument: Bass
    Songs: Mega Man 2, The Megas, punk rock (Op ivy, Minor Threat, Misfits, etc.)
  • chrismsx
    Instrument: Rap vocals
    Songs: Freestyle, plus originals.

What is Jamspace?
Jamspace is an area where anyone who has any idea how to play an instrument is invited to come up and play music, and anyone who doesn't is invited to watch. The main focus is usually video game music, so you're guaranteed to hear classic stuff that you know and love all weekend.

What equipment is provided?
Almost everything you could ever need. We provide the lighting, amps, guitars, basses, pianos, and drums, and then you provide the talent. You're welcome to bring your own instrument as well. We don't have any violins or saxophones or the like, so when someone brings one of those in, it always gives an unexpectedly awesome result.

Who's allowed to play?
Anyone. Can you play some stuff on the piano? Go ahead. Do you have a backing track that you'd like to play guitar over? Be our guest. Are you in a full band that wants to play a mini set? The stage is yours. Do you want to meet other musicians and jam with them? Jam away.

This can't possibly end with good results...
You'd be surprised! MAGFest has had a Jamspace at itself for the past 4 years, and provided a jamspace for other conventions as well, including PAX East and PAX Prime. Musicians always seem to find a way to come out of the woodwork and entertain everyone. Here are some great examples:

Duke Nukem performs Freebird -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZUWm8ouX8

Metroid Metal drops in for a couple songs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOIZO_Ywqg

Knife City during the chiptune showcase-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jk1hcu3z_U

Mega 64 forums doing....... something? -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEvO3arNXM

Holy shit that's awesome
Yeah it is. Jamspace will be going the whole weekend at PAX , so make sure to stop by and enjoy (or make!) some music.

Will there be any scheduled performances?
The scheduled performances are listed below. Assume open jam time up to a half hour before and after to allow for setup time.
Friday chips (11:00 am - 2:00 PM) -
Cathode Rays
Oxygenstar
Active Knowledge
Animal Style
Bit Shifter

Saturday chips (11:00 am - 2:00 PM, with special chip presentation at 10:00 am):
Danimal Cannon
AdamGetsAwesome
Zen Albatross
Br1ght Pr1mate
Smiletron

Saturday Night (5pm-8pm):
BrentalFloss
Armcannon
Powerglove.

Sunday chips (11:00 am - 2:00 PM):
7th Gear
Facundo
Shortsleeves
Disasterpeace
glomag and Corset lore

The Jamspace at PAX is provided by MAGFest, which is a video gaming and video game music festival hosted just outside Washington, DC. The date and location for MAGFest X have not yet been announced.

NickTheNewbie on

• Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sweet! I love Jamspace, and wish I could play an instrument to perform with. Well, I can sing if I know the song.

Also, Metroid Metal's Jamspace set was AWESOME! That was my video of them in the OP. I'll be on the lookout to see when the bands or other below the radar folks show up. Brentalfloss has said he may make an appearance!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you! Jamspace was my favorite place to hang when I needed a breather last year. And I was constantly impressed by the quality of music being made.

Trion on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can't wait for this. I wanted to go last year, but I couldn't seem to find the place. But this year for sure! I really want to sing Still Alive....

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    After having recently sung Creepy Doll karaoke with JoCo in attendance, I'm ready for anything! Once I figure out what my filming schedule for the Community DVD will be, I'm up for it. Now, to get some shaker eggs...

MJPM on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MJPM wrote: »
    ...Brentalfloss has said he may make an appearance!

If his set is anything like at MAGfest, make this a must see! (If only for the adventures of MoistMan.)

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of the reasons I'm sad that Anamanaguchi won't be at this year's PAX east is because I was hoping for a chance to see Knife City here... Bah!

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ...yay! We spent alot of downtime between panels just hanging out in Jamspace, and something fun was always going on. I kinda hope it is in a slightly bigger space this year, though.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know the organ part to "chord change" by camel, and am desperately seeking people who know guitar/bass/drums for the song. Any takers? I can also do a big of Kishgal from Ys 6, secret of the forest from chrono trigger, and undersea palace from chrono trigger.

While we're at it, please list what instruments you play, and what video game/real songs you know, and everyone can keep a running tally of the musicians to keep a lookout for during the weekend!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    HelloTheFutureHelloTheFuture Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Yo!

I want to play in Der Jammerspace!

Will anyone come and watch me and/or jam with me if I come?

Also I know the guitar part to Still Alive... and SMB... and like most everything (it's just I, IV, V, right?)

I sing on the internet every week. Here is an example!

HelloTheFuture on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yo!

Also I know the guitar part to Still Alive... and SMB... and like most everything (it's just I, IV, V, right?)

Saddened that I have not heard you until now. Now I'm a fan :D.

MJPM on
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So looking forward to this.

ravemonger on
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I must visit Jamspace this year, even just to watch for awhile. I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to get up and play though. I haven't played my real drums in awhile and don't know any video game music. I could possibly rock out a few real songs though.

I'm getting more and more into the geeky subculture music lately, so from one geeky girl to another, you have my support, Hello. As PAX gets closer, I'm sure you'll have more fans who will come out in support if you let them know what time you're planning on being out there.

I actually just bought tickets last weekend to JoCo with Paul & Storm. He's playing in Annapolis in May *does happy dance*.

Regardless, I missed MAGFest again this year since I didn't want to go alone. It's shameful since I'm fairly local and I have no excuse that's worth it's weight ;)

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yo!

Hey blue! It's me, nick, the mag promo/PR guy. Glad to hear you'll be able to make it up.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I planned to stick around more than I did last year... And boy, if only I knew that I could hop on stage!!! If people don't mind a blues-ish player of course :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What do you play, frugus?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What do you play, frugus?

Nothing solid anymore.

I used to play tons before, managed to end up in a show once, etc. Since then I've only been practicing basic riffs and scales. I'm still very decent but I mostly improvise nowadays. If other people knew how to play blues in E I could definitely bring something to the table.

I'd tell you to send me the chords to whatever you want me to play but I doubt I'll have any time to rehearse for March.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What about instruments? :P

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What about instruments? :P

That would be the guitar :)

Give me a decent bass line and I can handle myself if needed.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    binary1230binary1230 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HEY EVERYONE THIS IS DOM

Yea I'm one of those Magfest losers. I also run the jamspace and play music. I am also bringing THE KEYTAR this year.

I can jump in for anyone's videogame music requests or whatever, I'd love to jam on stuff like:

- Chrono Trigger, baby. Anytime, any song.
    - Final Fantasy
    - Katamari
    - Megaman anything
    - anime stuff like Cowboy Bebop
    - Mario, Zelda, metroid
    - anything else

binary1230 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fact: Dom knows every song in the universe, and some outside the universe.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was wondering about the specifics of the drum kit. Like what it has cymbals wise, how many toms, double bass or not, etc. Might toss some stuff together with a few friends as it sounds like a fun place to jam.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I was wondering about the specifics of the drum kit. Like what it has cymbals wise, how many toms, double bass or not, etc. Might toss some stuff together with a few friends as it sounds like a fun place to jam.

We've requested a normal pretty basic 5-piece drumkit rental, it probably won't have double kick on it. However, we might end up having to use digital drums (decently nice Roland V-Drums) due to rental logistics, we're not quite sure yet. If you have a double kick, feel free to use it when you're playing, that's fine.

Once I know the specifics on the gear I'll post them up

-Dom

binary1230 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yo!

OH wait I didn't realize who you were til I saw your profile pic. I saw a bunch of your pre-magfest comments go by on our twitter and was hoping to catch up and jam some stuff at Magfest, but was too busy with concert junk to do so.

We have a crew of like, 8 people, that can do Still Alive, and also I have a new TC helicon voicebox thingy that can do the autotune style voice effects if we wanted to go that route.

(Or, if JoCo decides to drop by Jamspace, THAT's what we're doing hah.)

At any rate, definitely come say hi to us when you're hanging around jamspace.

-Dom

binary1230 on
  • Options
    TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is my first time Attending a PAX. I can only like play a couple gaming songs on the piano.

I want to hear Captain Falcon's song from F-Zero GX "Forever he will be my hero."

TdarTURbo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    binary1230 wrote: »
    HEY EVERYONE THIS IS DOM

I can jump in for anyone's videogame music requests or whatever, I'd love to jam on stuff like:

- Katamari

You can play Lonely Rolling Star?

TdarTURbo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TdarTURbo wrote: »
    This is my first time Attending a PAX. I can only like play a couple gaming songs on the piano.

I want to hear Captain Falcon's song from F-Zero GX "Forever he will be my hero."

Which songs can you play on piano? I'll add you to the list.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Captain Falcon Theme F-Zero GX
    Kirby Superstar Gourmet Race
    Tetris Theme

non videogame

Blink 182
    What's my Age Again
    All the Small Things

Ben Folds
    Zak and Sara

TdarTURbo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TdarTURbo wrote: »
    binary1230 wrote: »
    HEY EVERYONE THIS IS DOM

- Katamari

You can play Lonely Rolling Star?

Yep, I can play that one. Actually I spent a bunch of time a few weeks ago customizing the absolutely perfect square wave lead on the keyboard I'm bringing just for that song. And, one of our crew coming along can sing it in japanese as well.

binary1230 on
  • Options
    Hangover_GloryHangover_Glory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know, it's great to be able to jam with fellow gamers. In my experience, we're some of the most talented artistically.

Typically I sing more along the hard rock/metal genre, so if anyone's looking for a vocalist for that errant non-game related tune, I could be the man for the job!

Hangover_Glory on
  • Options
    HippowithwingsHippowithwings Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I plan on spending most of late friday/saturday night in the jamspace. I had an amazing time jamming out with everyone last year.

Ill be playing bass and while I know lots of songs, no one listens the basslines anyways so I can jam with whatever :P

However, if anyone wants to play anything off the Megaman 2 soundtrack, anything by the Megas (an impromptu Megas cover moment would be amazing) or any punk rock jam (Op ivy, Minor Threat, Misfits, etc.) I would be pretty psyched.

Also BUMP for great justice.

Hippowithwings on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So we had planned on putting together a short metal inspired video game medley for this, but time constraints of actually getting together (two band members live 3 hours away) and the desire to play D&D on one of those days instead caused us to abort the idea.

It would've been cool though, sorry bros. Looking forward to hearing everyone else jamming though!

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    chrismsxchrismsx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I rap and I have an original track called "Pokemon Rap Battle".... I actually love the mix of live instruments and rap, so I'd love to do that but I doubt I could get someone to learn my song in enough time. I also freestyle. I'd actually like to collab with someone and do an impromptu Jam session with me freestyling with someone playing video game music or anything for that matter.

chrismsx on
  • Options
    br1ght pr1matebr1ght pr1mate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    VvHmH.png[IMG].--. .-'. .--. .--. .--. .--. .`-. .--. :::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\ ' `--' `.-' `--' `--' `--' `-.' `--' ` Boston8Bit Presents: A seriously awesome 3-day chiptune showcase March 11th, 12th & 13th at PAX East 11am - 2pm, Jamspace Featuring: Bit Shifter, Smiletron, Animal Style, Glomag, Oxygenstar, Br1ght Pr1mate, Disasterpeace, Active Knowledge, AdamGetsAwesome, Zen Albatross, The Shortsleeves, Danimal Cannon, 7th Gear, and Special Guests TBA Visuals by: Invaderbacca, EMDash, Batsly Adams & Friends Hide Yo Kids/Wife .--. .-'. .--. .--. .--. .--. .`-. .--. :::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\ ' `--' `.-' `--' `--' `--' `-.' `--' ` For more information and updates and stuff, check out the event page:[/img]http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=199116210100365

br1ght pr1mate on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On the PAX Gaming Schedule, Knife City is also listed. Do you guys know anything about that? I would be PSYCHED if Luke is going to be at PAX

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    br1ght pr1matebr1ght pr1mate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    initially he was in the lineup, but since anamanaguchi isn't playing mainstage, they wound up putting together a tour instead, so no knifecity :( ( clarificationfor those who dont know: luke/knifecity is the drummer for guchi)

similarly the event lists sabrepulse and 8bitbetty, both of whom are unable to make it in for pax, the above schedule is the official updated artist list. AND HEY WE'VE GOT 15 OF THE BEST CHIPTUNE ARTISTS IN THE WORLD SO ITS GOING TO BE DAAAAAAAAANG AWESOME

br1ght pr1mate on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Breaking the limits of the standard PAX forum post!!! It's gonna be awesome.. def, in for Bit Shifter.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Any of the chiptuners happen to have a modded gameboy they would be willing to sell at the show? Looking to get into proper chiptune (not just emulated like I have been) but I'm a bit hesitant to try the mods myself. I'm sure with the relatively cheap nature of gameboys, they are piling up for some.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    initially he was in the lineup, but since anamanaguchi isn't playing mainstage, they wound up putting together a tour instead, so no knifecity :( ( clarificationfor those who dont know: luke/knifecity is the drummer for guchi)

similarly the event lists sabrepulse and 8bitbetty, both of whom are unable to make it in for pax, the above schedule is the official updated artist list. AND HEY WE'VE GOT 15 OF THE BEST CHIPTUNE ARTISTS IN THE WORLD SO ITS GOING TO BE DAAAAAAAAANG AWESOME

This makes me a Sad Panda...

MJPM on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Updated OP with jammers and concert schedule.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    McRibsMcRibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to create an account to get in on this action! I'm a semi-professional local hip-hop artist and would love to come and perform a few songs, like 3 or 4 nothing crazy.

Will a time to perform be assigned or is it open mic after the showcases?

McRibs on