As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens Vs. Predator: Honey, why do you always want to press "E" from behind me?

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
> |

> SEARCH PA_DATABASE "AVP THREAD"

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER PERMISSIONS.

AN ADMINISTRATOR MAY HAVE DISABLED YOUR ACCOUNT.

PLEASE TURN THE COOLING UNIT BACK ON.

> CREATENEW "AVP THREAD"

IF "AVP THREAD" ALREADY EXISTS YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO RIDICULE.

CONTINUE Y/N

> Y

...................... DONE!

PLEASE TURN THE COOLING UNIT BACK ON.

> MOTHER, I'VE TURNED THE COOLING UNIT BACK ON!

THE SHIP WILL AUTOMATICALLY SELF-DESTRUCT IN "T" MINUS FIVE MINUTES.

> YOU... BITCH!

This is the thread for the games involving aliens, predators and the vs.ing thereof. Over three different games, it has proven impossible for us to all just get along.
aliens_vs_predator-front.jpg

The first game arrived in 2000.

It may or may not have a story, I honestly couldn't tell you because I played right up to the first point where you encounter one of these:

SHIIIIIT

for the very first time, turned it off and never played the single player campaign again. It was at that point when I decided to play aliens in all future games, online and off, and forget that the other races were playable by me.
252px-Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover.jpg

Another game came out in 2001.

This time around was different. There was a more developed story, especially for the marine. It relied more on building suspense and horror than hectic AAAAAGGHHHHH THEY ARE ALL COMING ALL THE TIME OH GOD. The aliens gained a life cycle, meaning you got to play the facehugger and chestburster for the very first time. The predators remained the most overpowered pieces of shit (not bitter). The multiplayer received a mixed reception. I personally found the different variations a shitload of fun. I always looked for race team/alien lifecycle games, because there was nothing more fun than raping other people's faces and potentially turning into a Queen.
Aliens_vs_Predator_cover.jpg

Then in 2010, another game, named the same as the... original...

Hopes were high, especially among the folks who preferred the original over the sequel. The team that had made the original game were coming back to make this one. Surely they would move things forward and things would be even more awesome. Well in a word... no. But it still has a lot of fun moments! Like stealth kill conga lines!

Unfortunately, since this game came out it has been tough to find a species battle. There's a lot of aliens fighting other aliens which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, nor does it encourage that teamwork necessary to herd the other players into a trap room full of your fellow xenomorphs.

So let's talk about the AvP series!

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First one, I have finished the marine campaign on normal, thanks to the patch that allows free saving and BALLS OF STEEL, giving me the ability to summarize the plot.

The plot: The company is an asshole, and fire solves all problems. There. You're up to speed.

Also, the ending is rather odd. The marine shoots a Queen out an airlock, and has an exit route from the doomed overwhelmed ship he was sent to investigate. But gasp!

There is an ordinary Alien above him! How can he, with his dozens of guns and experience killing aliens by the droves, stop it? HORROR!

Silly, I call it.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really should play the marine in the latest game at least, even though the alien campaign was pretty crap.

The worst part of any of these games? Playing the marine in AvP2, walking through the eggs in suspension. "Be careful. They're frozen, but if you step too close they might still open."

Then, press a few buttons mandatory for progressing.

"Okay, that shut down the suspension. Run like hell!" D:

Uh no. How about I destroy every fucking last one of those eggs from the safest distance possible, say, the opposite side of the room? Then I can continue!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At Uni, the original AvP reminded me games can be freaky even in a house full of blokes.

Every room you went in had a dude huddled in a blanket dimly lit by his big fat CRT jumping every time he heard a beep-beep-BEEEEEP.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really should play the marine in the latest game at least, even though the alien campaign was pretty crap.

The worst part of any of these games? Playing the marine in AvP2, walking through the eggs in suspension. "Be careful. They're frozen, but if you step too close they might still open."

Then, press a few buttons mandatory for progressing.

"Okay, that shut down the suspension. Run like hell!" D:

Uh no. How about I destroy every fucking last one of those eggs from the safest distance possible, say, the opposite side of the room? Then I can continue!

Yeah.

Oh, do you know what's great in the first one? Survival mode.

Just one marine V. an endless horde of aliens, with no goal beyond a high score, and no ending beyond a grisly death. Managed to get an unstoppable run going once or twice that only ended when I got bored. Felt badass then.

Also gave good opportunities to play with the arsenal. Got to love the Smart Gun.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The motion detector was unnerving, but not nearly as much as the telltale scribbling scratching of the huggers

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh AVP 2010, everyone hates you but me. Ok probably not everyone, even though you deserve it.

I could have tolerated all the stealth kill garbage in multiplayer if it wasn't fucking impossible to find a match, ranked or otherwise.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Oh AVP 2010, everyone hates you but me. Ok probably not everyone, even though you deserve it.

I could have tolerated all the stealth kill garbage in multiplayer if it wasn't fucking impossible to find a match, ranked or otherwise.

Oh you could occasionally find matches as long as you didn't mind endless stealth kill conga lines and alien on alien combat

No matter what you think of the 3rd AvP's singleplayer, they botched the multiplayer worse than either of the other two games

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The worst/best thing about the motion detector was the fact it was set off by everything but the freaking aliens. Although my experience is only limited to AvP2 so I'm unsure if it was the same in the first game and most recent one.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2011
    It would detect aliens for sure, it's just that they were so fast that they were usually eating your brains before the detector went off, and then you were paying attention to other things besides your motion detector. I'm pretty sure there's a mod to extend the range.

It was even worse in the AvP2 expansion. The corporate marine you played got a 360 degree motion tracker but it was limited to half the range of the regular marine. Which made it totally worthless.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The scanner worked fine in the first one. Mostly.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I really liked the demo, only problem was that I had to talk people into grouping up, humans and predators vs aliens, or 3 groups, or aliens and predators vs humies.

I didn't buy the game because of the low review scores.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    No, it worked fine in the first one. Mostly.

He said he only had experience with the second one. The tracker was great in the first, I agree.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    playing the first 2 AvP games as a marine is terrifying, just the constant beep beep beep beepbeepbeep "oh god there something there" *opens fire* its just a pipe swinging.
    The latest AVP as a marine is easier and kind off annoying. its literally going from one group of marines that die as soon as you meet them to another. although one group is fun as they have all the sentry guns set up the doors are wielded and reinforcements are coming, then the reinforcements arrive find the way past is blocked by rubble just as a horde of aliens comes and kils everyone and the game is like RUN AWAY!! which is pretty much what you want to do as a marine all the time

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    No, it worked fine in the first one. Mostly.

He said he only had experience with the second one. The tracker was great in the first, I agree.

Fair point, I was unclear, when all I meant to say was the great in the first one bit.

Also, it's no wonder your guy is the survivor in game 1, considering his run speed could get the gold at the olympics. Seriously, if the name tag had said "Garrick, J." I would not have been surprised.

It's actually nice. You want to run like hell in every single encounter, the game obliges.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aliens: Biologically superior to every other race, every limb capable of mutilating, facehuggers

Predators: Technologically superior to every other race, near-invisibility, massive constitution

Humans: Good at wetting pants, fair at running away, delicious

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not even a mention of the Atari Jaguar game, eh? That was like, one of only two or three good games for the system, from the same developers of AvP '99 and 2010.

(There was a Capcom AvP arcade beat-em-up, wasn't there? I remember plunking a few quarters into one back in the day. Or maybe it was an just an Aliens machine.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved the first AVP, loved the second... and the third one just seemed so... bleh. Watching Helloween, Helloween, LP the third one was boring.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Colonial Marines game?

Akilae on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    THere are multiple Alien arcade games (mostly light gun games), and the Capcom AvP beatemup.

The AvP Jaguar game may have been good back when it was new, but it hasn't exactly aged well

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    THere are multiple Alien arcade games (mostly light gun games), and the Capcom AvP beatemup.
    l

Their was a also a AvP beat em up for the SNES. It was pretty mediocre though.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember enjoying the Konami Alien Arcade game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr1Qjx39RJU

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Redlance wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    l

Their was a also a AvP beat em up for the SNES. It was pretty mediocre though.

I bought it for SNES when I was younger, thinking it was a port of the arcade game. So much disappointment, words cannot describe. D:

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, an entire area dedicated to facehuggers in the AvP 2010 Marine campaign!

Fuck you too, Rebellion!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, an entire area dedicated to facehuggers in the AvP 2010 Marine campaign!

Fuck you too, Rebellion!

Is it really that much of a problem, since you're playing as the only marine badass enough to punch Drones to death and grab Facehuggers out of the air?

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The worst is all the
    Androids
    you have to fight later on.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait, you can grab facehuggers?

I have been freaking out and using explosives if necessary to keep them at a distance. You mean I can melee facehuggers?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, you can grab facehuggers?

I have been freaking out and using explosives if necessary to keep them at a distance. You mean I can melee facehuggers?

I don't think you can melee them, but you will automatically grab attacking facehuggers and toss them away at the cost of one block of life.

Of course, if you have only have one block of health left when the facehugger lunges for you... D:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so my freaking out stratagem is sound

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad to see there are fellow AvP fans here. I haven't played AvP 3 yet aside from a demo way back when on the 360.

Apparently, thanks to some dumbass Vista bug on my machine, I can't install AvP, along with any Apple/Quicktime software and other weird things like Borderlands.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad to see there are fellow AvP fans here. I haven't played AvP 3 yet aside from a demo way back when on the 360.

Apparently, thanks to some dumbass Vista bug on my machine, I can't install AvP, along with any Apple/Quicktime software and other weird things like Borderlands.

Upgrade to 7, it is everything Vista should have been

Then play AvP and AvP 2, and I guess AvP 3 if you are bored after that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Upgrade to 7, it is everything Vista should have been

Then play AvP and AvP 2, and I guess AvP 3 if you are bored after that

Agreed on 7.

It's like XKCD said. Hardly Hitlery at all!

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I got AvP 2010 the Friday of the week it came out and waited, no exaggeration, twenty minutes to find a match. I got in and basically did nothing but die as soon as I left the spawn point.

Played through the single-player just enough to complete all the campaigns and haven't picked it up since. Such a shame, it had potential.

Whatever happened to the other Aliens game Sega was doing? The RPG?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I got AvP 2010 the Friday of the week it came out and waited, no exaggeration, twenty minutes to find a match. I got in and basically did nothing but die as soon as I left the spawn point.

Played through the single-player just enough to complete all the campaigns and haven't picked it up since. Such a shame, it had potential.

Whatever happened to the other Aliens game Sega was doing? The RPG?

The RPG was deep sixed.

The other FPS? No idea.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Around the time DNF was release, Gearbox reassured everyone that their game was still on.

Personally, I liked AvP3. There was a lot of little things wrong with it. The thing that pisses me off, though, is people saying the Alien controls weird. Did they even play the game? I had no problems movin' around, and when the demo was around (since you can't get a full game MP match under any circumstance, ever), I was all about the stealthing around. Hiding in girders, sticking to walls, jumpin' marines and back stabbin' predators.

Basically, I like AvP3 because the demo was so rad. Campaign was alright, but it was really short and really easy. Also glad cloaking didn't burn energy. I wouldn't object to a sequel, given the cliff hanger endings. Just needa polish things up.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recall there being some kind of AvP RTS game. Anyone know what platform it's on and whether it was any good at all? I recall seeing footage of it somewhere but can't remember the name of it.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I recall there being some kind of AvP RTS game. Anyone know what platform it's on and whether it was any good at all? I recall seeing footage of it somewhere but can't remember the name of it.

How would that even work? Aliens play a RTS game, Predators play a FPS game?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AvP: Extinction, yes. For the original Xbox and PS2.

It was garbage, but it did at least produce this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t7S64c9Wk

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Haha that commercial is the best.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you guys are ever interested in holding private matches, let me know. I have AvP2010 for the 360. I could get one more to join as well.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AvP 2 never really did it for me. I'm an AvP 2000 kind of guy. For me story lines just get in the way of enjoying the multifaceted carnage that AvP 2000 does so well. Also there's just something about the lighting in the first one that the Lithtech engine doesn't do as well. I'll always consider AvP 2000 a masterpiece of atmosphere.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Around the time DNF was release, Gearbox reassured everyone that their game was still on.

Personally, I liked AvP3. There was a lot of little things wrong with it. The thing that pisses me off, though, is people saying the Alien controls weird. Did they even play the game? I had no problems movin' around, and when the demo was around (since you can't get a full game MP match under any circumstance, ever), I was all about the stealthing around. Hiding in girders, sticking to walls, jumpin' marines and back stabbin' predators.

Basically, I like AvP3 because the demo was so rad. Campaign was alright, but it was really short and really easy. Also glad cloaking didn't burn energy. I wouldn't object to a sequel, given the cliff hanger endings. Just needa polish things up.

Maybe we can get a Monolith sequel, which will clean up the story and remove the maze like maps, much like AvP2 did for the first one.

elliotw2 on