As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using PS3 to display Hulu: What's the best method?

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
So my wife and I are doing our best to kill our cable and phone package this year, and we're considering trying out a Netflix/Hulu Plus streaming combo, but I'd also love to get regular Hulu visible on my HDTV. I tried out the PlayOn PC software, but it chokes the only PC we have in the house, a netbook. We have a much better iMac desktop, but that's also only accessible via wireless, which I've read will degrade the signal a good deal versus going wired.

Is there any Mac software that can somehow get vanilla Hulu content onto the PS3 and my HDTV, like how PlayOn works? Or am I better off attempting to cobble together or borrow a cheap media center PC and just connecting it to my TV that way? Any other tips or suggestions for streaming content are greatly appreciated, I'm not really much of a PC guy anymore. :P

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    We have a much better iMac desktop, but that's also only accessible via wireless, which I've read will degrade the signal a good deal versus going wired.
    What specifically are you talking about here?

edit: Sorry I didn't realize the Mac was streaming to a console, this all makes sense now.
    I've succesfully streamed various higher resolution video across my regular old network. I say try it, you could always try a wireless N router if it would solve your problem.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, uh... if you are planning on getting Hulu Plus, and the TV is connected to the PS3, what Hulu content isn't accessible already? I only tried out Hulu+ for a month but it seemed to have all of the same content as the web browser version?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People are using Squid to mask the PS3's browser ID to access Hulu through the browser. I used to just play Hulu in the browser before Hulu started bocking everything.

An ATOM based nettop with an ION GPU can work well as an HTPC. Just make sure it has Win7. If you build your own system you can have it double as a DVR. And Windows Media Center has native Netflix support & WebTV. There is also a plug-in that will auto load and switch to the Hulu Desktop software. Mix in the Zune software and it will auto download pod casts for you.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The cash you'd spend on cobbling together even a cheap HTPC would buy you over a year of Netflix and Hulu Plus access, both of which run natively on the PS3, so that's not really a reasonable option unless you wanted it for other uses (like recording network TV).

I'm not sure what software options are out there for Mac streaming though...

a5ehren on