As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 3 Coming in November

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    jonny439 wrote: »
    This would have been unthinkable 2 years ago but I don't think IW is essential to making a good CoD game.

Good CoD game? :lol:

Now now CoD2 was glorious and will forever be my favourite with 4 a close second.

Black Ops will however be the last one I purchase. I'm not quite sure why I bought it either, its a lot of fun sure but I could just play Reach.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I enjoy the hell out of the gameplay in CoD for the most part, but the writing in MW2 was incomprehensible.

Like, in order to stop an invasion into the US they set off an EMP to cripple the russian army. Which is certainly flashy, but the US is way more reliant on electronics then the russians and would be far more devestated by such a ridiculous antic. There's dozen more where that fucking nugget came from.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think I've bothered with CoD past 4. Sounds like they're having fun milking the fanbase, though.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Modern Warfare 3... Single player I expect explosions, slow motion in some parts, every goddamn enemy shooing at me and only ME, endless waves of assholes untill I get to a spot on the map, more explosions, an on-rails segment or 7, and dying in the point of view of no less than 18 people.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So Modern Warfare 3... Single player I expect explosions, slow motion in some parts, every goddamn enemy shooing at me and only ME, endless waves of assholes untill I get to a spot on the map, more explosions, an on-rails segment or 7, and dying in the point of view of no less than 18 people.

you forgot enemies that look exactly like your allies, grenades thrown with surgical precision regardless of difficulty and oh yeah: Vehicles that seem to explode at random.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can't really say I ever bought a CoD for the SP so honestly I never was bothered by the plot or any of the SP gameplay tomfoolery.

I mean at the end of the day they were all just vehicles for explosions and nice setpieces while people fire off military lingo.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm calling the release date: 11/11/11.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    BUT I JUST BOUGHT BLACK OPS....

... Fuck

Activision has made their plans to whore out CoD until we're completely sick of it pretty clear for years now.

Seriously. How do people not get this by now? Activision's business model is to pick games to turn into franchises, hype them up, and and release moderately different installments annually until people lose interest. They have said this openly.
    I'm calling the release date: 11/11/11.

That would make it all the easier for me to take no notice, since it's the same day TES5 theoretically comes out!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But... all my friends have the latest COD and I NEEDS to play with them!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess this could be good, I loved SoF.

But, I think I will skip this one...

Especially after the last game of BO I played a few weeks ago. A guy knifed me from 5 yards away facing the opposite direction. Never again. Never again.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah no. Not being fooled into this crap again after the last two. And with battlefield 3 and Red Orchestra 2 on the horizon my multiplayer fps needs are covered without resorting to what will undoubtedly be a bug filled exploitfest that's somehow fucked on PC.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »

you forgot enemies that look exactly like your allies, grenades thrown with surgical precision regardless of difficulty and oh yeah: Vehicles that seem to explode at random.

You must've missed MW2 as well, going off your 'description' of MW games.

Edit: sorry, both of you missed MW2.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay? Yeah, no, fuck that. I hated MW2. They need to stop putting one out for every year to pump out money, and focus some effort on toning it to a great experience. You don't even need to spend 3 years on every game like Rockstar. Just at least 2.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Can't miss what you never wanted in the first place.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Can't miss what you never wanted in the first place.

So, since MW2 fixed all your complaints, you will assume MW3 is garbage because....you didn't want to play MW2?

Have fun being a silly goose.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    MW2's campaign was well done.

Not well written, obviously, just well pulled off.
    Hah, that cracks me up.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it safe to say that CoD has become the new counter-strike?

Dram on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    MW2's campaign was well done.

Not well written, obviously, just well pulled off.
    Hah, that cracks me up.

Yeah.

People telling the truth makes me laugh too.

Hahahaha.

The sky is blue!

Ahahahaha.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ITT People act like CoD is a terrible franchise and that they never enjoyed playing any game in the franchise.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The missions in MW2 were outstandingly put together. The favelas IMO was the outstanding one among the bunch.

If they did anything wrong, they turned down the difficulty too much.

But if the choice is between a bit too easy, and spending several hours on one checkpoint like I did with World at War (and to a lesser extent Black Ops), I'd prefer the slightly too easy.

adytum on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-EEPeyKd8

I was yelling at the screen

How can anyone play this bit and not love it

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the writers for MW2's plot basically just took a Tom Clancy novel and flushed any tiny semblance of plausibility they could find down the nearest toilet
    Have you ever actually read a Tom Clancy novel? They're more grounded than anything you will find in hollywood military films or a military first-person shooter.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ITT People act like CoD is a terrible franchise and that they never enjoyed playing any game in the franchise.

You and me both, jonny.

We missed that the title of this thread was "Hate on every activision title even if we haven't played one in the last 2 years."

You and me both, jonny.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Taste?

Taste seems a relevant factor.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Nah, CoD 1,2,4 were great. Then MW2 they turned every knob up to 11 including the "bullshit" knob. Black Ops might be ok now the PC version is just coming out of the payed beta they put out.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MW2 was all flash and no substance for me, I thought the multiplayer was leaps and bounds ahead of the first, but the longer I kept playing it the more it fell apart. It feels like a completely seperate group of people looked at Cod4, tried to reverse-engineer what made it so good, and failed horribly.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    glithert wrote: »
    It feels like a completely seperate group of people looked at Cod4, tried to reverse-engineer what made it so good, and failed horribly.

Yeah, W@W was pretty poop.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I enjoy the hell out of the gameplay in CoD for the most part, but the writing in MW2 was incomprehensible.

Like, in order to stop an invasion into the US they set off an EMP to cripple the russian army. Which is certainly flashy, but the US is way more reliant on electronics then the russians and would be far more devestated by such a ridiculous antic. There's dozen more where that fucking nugget came from.

On the other hand, running for cover from a rain of helicopters was pretty fucking awesome.

Arrath on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    glithert wrote: »
    It feels like a completely seperate group of people looked at Cod4, tried to reverse-engineer what made it so good, and failed horribly.

Yeah, W@W was pretty poop.

Well, it was, but that's not what I was getting at

glithert on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    the writers for MW2's plot basically just took a Tom Clancy novel and flushed any tiny semblance of plausibility they could find down the nearest toilet
    Have you ever actually read a Tom Clancy novel? They're more grounded than anything you will find in hollywood military films or a military first-person shooter.

This man speaks the truth. Tom Clancy, especially older Clancy stuff, is really well written. Most of the newer garbage that people associate with him isn't even written by him; it just has his name slapped on for marketing purposes. Most of Clancy's stories would make for a better plot than even MW1, and I thought MW1 had a pretty good plot.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I loved this as well. I dont care what happens in MW3 just as long as Price and Soap are back. :)

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Yay? Yeah, no, fuck that. I hated MW2. They need to stop putting one out for every year to pump out money, and focus some effort on toning it to a great experience. You don't even need to spend 3 years on every game like Rockstar. Just at least 2.

They do spend 2 years in development. Thats why they have two studies which release alternately.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ITT: people complain about a series they didn't actually play.

Hibernus on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought the MW2 multiplayer was fantastic if it wasn't for the hacking, and in turn the lack of dedicated servers. Completely ruined it for me.

The SP missions themselves were well thought out, they were just held together by a ridiculous story. And no, it's not a "popcorn movie", it's ridiculous.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Really, cause last time I checked shit exploded alot in MW2, the AI shot the fuck out of you through out the entire game, there were quite a bit of slow motion everytime you breached a door, the sniping from a heli in Gulag was pretty on-rail and so was the part with the Humvee, and I'm pretty sure you got the PoV death of the Ranger turned Spy, Roach and an astronaut in space.

So I don't know what version of MW2 you played where this shit didn't happen but I know damn well it happend in mine. MW2 is the BIGGEST BLOCKBUSTER MUTHAFUCKA OF FPS GAMES and the only way Activison is going to top it is to turn it up to 11 on 11/11/11.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought Black Ops had the best SP campaign yet. MW2 was garbage, mostly because of how revolting "No Russian" is even though you can skip it.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's right, terrorism is worse than government sponsored torture.

Wait what

Hibernus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »
    That's right, terrorism is worse than government sponsored torture.

Wait what

I'd say No Russian is worse.

The torture bit is bad, but it's a guy who's guilty as sin having information extracted.

No Russian is government sponsored murder of Russian civilians to catch a terrorist WHO YOU COULD CAP RIGHT THERE.

It's offensively stupid and what's more, if Russia went to the UN or something saying "Look at this." and wanted, well, ANYTHING from America, up to and including Alaska, THEY'D BE WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS.

This includes, by the way, acts of war. It's rotten business presented stupidly and dishonestly from any prospective.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like that a Private 1st class in the US Army is qualified for deep cover CIA operations because he can go through The Pit really fast. And that an Army General was in charge of the 30,000 Marines from Modern Warfare 1.

MW3 should have you being some sort High-speed super awesome ultra soldier in some Top top TOP secret team because you can walk through a door really fast while shooting up at the sky.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I only hope that Modern Warfare 3 brings back the return of Spec Op missions, with 4 player support, fuck it why not 8 or 16 player missions too?

Are you listening, Activision? Are you?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1