As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Justice League animated... ugh.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what needs more love in this thread? "For The Man Who Has Everything".

An adaptation of an Alan Moore story that Alan Moore actually approves of. That alone is an achievement.

Also, manly tears

Fun fact: The music playing as Dream!Krypton starts to shake apart is the same music used when real Krypton was exploding waaay back in STAS.

RMS Oceanic on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The way Mongul beats up Wonder Woman is pretty creepy

I mean he's so... personal about it.

Solar on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

An adaptation of an Alan Moore story that Alan Moore actually approves of. That alone is an achievement.

Also, manly tears

Fun fact: The music playing as Dream!Krypton starts to shake apart is the same music used when real Krypton was exploding waaay back in STAS.

Wow, I think that's even the same voice for Jor-El, and that inclusion of Brainiac in there is an excellent touch.

JLU took this whole 10 year cycle of shows that had very little ongoing continuity within and between them, and then suddenly found ways to connect them all, make them feel like one world, and revive the old stand alone stories to build the sweeping, major continuity that had never before been the way of telling stories in the DCAU (the entire Cadmus arc literally ties together every series, and brings back so many moments from past shows). I think that depth is why it's my favorite.

HadjiQuest on
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Add in the fact that Clark's ideal woman is a mix of Lana and Lois, and you've pretty much made every fan squee. (Not to mention the slip into Pa Kent from Jor-El for a moment.)

takyris on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    Best Flash moment in JLU:

"I have no idea who this is."

:lol:

It still counts!

Twice so, since Michael "Lex Luthor of Smallville" Rosenbaum did the voicework for The Flash, of course.

Wildcat on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have just finished watching "The Savage Time" arc.

Now that was funny to watch for a German :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Also, manly tears

I love that particular comic so much, and I was so overjoyed when I saw it in the series.

Like it was all I could do to shut up because I was watching it with other folks and wanted to gush about it so badly.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Justice League Unlimited is probably my favorite cartoon of all time

80% of this is due to both the Question and Suicide Squad episodes

holy crap yes

JLU Question is so awesome, and I didn't even know hardly anything about the Question before I saw JLU.

and the Suicide Squad episode is great too, especially because they brought back the Clock King for that one.

Multitudes of crap yes. The fact they got Jeffrey Coombs to do The Questions voice is mostly what made him for me.

And one of my all time favourite scenes in anything, animated or otherwise, is the Flash VS Brainiac-Luthor season finale. It's just pure hero gold.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously guys, the Flash is so great in this cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3A0CLjZUM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz26JnEMNT0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIn9IaUUeco

EDIT: Oh also, if you want slice of life stuff with the Flash, check out the episode "Flash and Substance."

BigBear on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Flash was the best of the bigger characters on the show. Supergirl was pretty cool too (she's really big in Japan).

TexiKen on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, the Galatea beatdown was so brutal.

Jintor on
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Flash was the best of the bigger characters on the show. Supergirl was pretty cool too (she's really big in Japan).

I really liked J'onn. I never felt like he got quite enough screen-time, and it seemed pretty clear that he veered wildly between "overpowered" and "nerfed for the sake of the plot", sometimes within the same episode, but Carl Lumbly's VO work was just wonderful. He was such a great quiet solemn spiritual figure.

(And when I had my wife watch the show, she started watching for J'onn's Thud of the Week -- the moment where the writers realized that an incorporeal super-strong shapeshifting telepath might break the plot, so he gets hit with a shock prod or something and goes thud for the remainder of the episode.)

That said, there was almost nobody that I didn't like of the core seven.

takyris on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was kinda meh about John Stewart for most the episodes.

Kyougu on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQ-h_2WGkw

Probably my favourite moment.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Argh! I forgot that one. That scene really was quite touching. A real hero doesn't just toss them in jail. A real hero double checks they are taking their meds!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Got me again Flash!"

Kyougu on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That earlier clip reminded me of how great the Ultra Humanite was in the series.

CyberJackal on
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has to be one of my favorite moment of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1CqCAc2fE

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Iirc Mark Hamil was the Trickster too right?

Jintor on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gank wrote: »

Argh! I forgot that one. That scene really was quite touching. A real hero doesn't just toss them in jail. A real hero double checks they are taking their meds!

I love that scene, but I didn't really like how Orion was treated in JL or JLU

MastaP on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Orion is way too important to be a reserve JL member, yeah

he belongs back on New Genesis

Centipede Damascus on
  • JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love Season 2 of Justice League. The fight animation improves substantially.

"Secret Society" in particular has IMO the best team vs. team fights in the franchise. If only for Sinestro actually making constructs with his ring.

"Hereafter" has short but sweet Grundy vs. Superman and Wonder Woman vs. Aquaman fights.

The one thing that bothered me about JLU was their overuse of the Seven Soldiers characters. Vigilante and The Shining Knight seemed so out of place in the series, with their weapons usually being relegated to TMNT status.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love Season 2 of Justice League. The fight animation improves substantially.

"Secret Society" in particular has IMO the best team vs. team fights in the franchise. If only for Sinestro actually making constructs with his ring.

"Hereafter" has short but sweet Grundy vs. Superman and Wonder Woman vs. Aquaman fights.

The one thing that bothered me about JLU was their overuse of the Seven Soldiers characters. Vigilante and The Shining Knight seemed so out of place in the series, with their weapons usually being relegated to TMNT status.

I liked their characterisation though, like when Vigilante was helping Shayera and Vixen against the Thanagarians.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2011
    Also let's not forget the episode where Wonder Woman turns into a Pig and Batman sings "Am I Blue" to turn her back.

best

episode

ever

Solar on
  • JonGericJonGeric Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really like the JLA series...thought it used alot of the old story arcs well

JonGeric on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recently started watching all of these. I just watched the fight between Superman and Captain Marvel. I thought it was really funny; after the fight, Superman's like, "Obviously the Justice League will cover the damages," and he glances sidelong at Batman. Does Bruce bankroll the entire Justice League? Those moochers.

PolloDiablo on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How could anybody not like the episode where Supes was sent to the future to grow a beard and become a barbarian?
    That was the best episode of them all!
    takyris wrote: »

I really liked J'onn.

Whenever I read Watchmen, I always read Dr. Manhattan in his voice. This lead to me being incredibly disappointed when I saw the movie.

Dram on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All praise aside, the first season of Justice League is kinda bad

Especially considering how they just can't seem to figure out a way to make Superman and J'onn's powers work in the context of a group, so they always have to eliminate them first to make everyone go "oh man this is a serious threat he just took out Superman oh nooooo"

They just couldn't figure out how to balance an ensemble cast, in either action or story

They figured it out more and more as they went along, though. Season two is where it started to get good, and then Unlimited was even better

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you can't enjoy the Booster Gold episode in Unlimited there's just plain something wrong with you, accpet it and move on

Lol! Loved that episode, turned Booster Gold into one of the few DC characters I actually dig.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    takyris wrote: »

I really liked J'onn.

Whenever I read Watchmen, I always read Dr. Manhattan in his voice. This lead to me being incredibly disappointed when I saw the movie.

I did that, too.

And I read Rorschach as a mix between JLU's Question and Michael Gross in this B:TAS episode, as someone very quiet and structured, but still completely bonkers and not put together right. You know, like a real schizophrenic might talk.

And then that movie ruined it with the kind of over-the-top, "I'm crazy" gravely urban defender guy voice.

Basically, the DCAU set the standard on all adaptations for me.

HadjiQuest on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I found out much to my suprise and horror of how popular she was in Japan but then I do own some some figures and other items from there that are far better than some I have ever seen

Brainleech on
    edited January 2011
    Superman was perhaps my only issue with this show

I thought he was badly handled a lot of the time, especially in the earlier seasons

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I think they underplayed his civilian side too much, which meant that we got more of Superman as the icon rather than Superman as the multifaceted man of two worlds.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2011
    I just he kind of came across as an ass

Superman is supposed to be a nice, likeable dude. He's inspiring and heroic and all that but he is also a man who you can be friends with.

JLU Superman was more of a silly goose, and in the early episodes he constantly gets KOed at the beginning of the fight which is kind of lame (though they resolve a lot of that later on).

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »

I found out much to my suprise and horror of how popular she was in Japan but then I do own some some figures and other items from there that are far better than some I have ever seen

I didn't realize she was actually popular in Japan, I was just going by the Warlord episode where they were in Japan:

jlu2-3a.jpg

And the fat little girl kicks Stargirl in the shin.

TexiKen on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man I didn't realize there was a thread here for the sole purpose of riling me up...

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited January 2011
    you know, I actually like first season JL more now than I did when it first aired.

No, they're not MIND BLOWING HOLY SHIT stuff

But there's some cool shit in there. Aquaman cutting off his hand? And to think I used to not like that episode at all! In Secret Origins when J'onn is dragging that one alien into the sun by his tentacles, while one tentacle is still like...in his head. Ewwwww. Oh man, J'onn. You are the best.

There's lots of just...little things in each episode I appreciate. Like Flash zipping off suddenly and Solovar turning to GL and just saying "He's very fast."

Hahaha. Yeah, he is.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Iirc Mark Hamil was the Trickster too right?

Yes. It was a reference to his role as the Trickster on the old, and very brief live action Flash series. The costume on the episode is based on his costume from the series as well.

The_Trickster.0.0.0x0.280x280.jpeg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man this was a great show. It introduced me to the Green Lanterns, which I've been a fan of ever since.

Personally I thought that season 2 of JL was the best and Unlimited wasn't as good, but it was still a pretty great show.

I've got most of this show on DVD, I should really watch them again.

Terrendos on
    edited January 2011
    The four part Cadmus arc of Unlimited was AMAZING, especially Question Authority and Divided We Fall. Question going to confront Superman and then Luthor was so intense, I could watch those scenes alllllll damn day. And the fight in Divided We Fall, and really...everything. I liked a lot of those first two JLU seasons for how much they all connected with each other. And I like them more going back and finding connections I didn't notice the first time.

And and and, shit, watching that Justice Lords episode, A Better World and then the episodes following and thinking about the really subtle hints to the time loop that Question discovers, and the idea that Flash is the conscience of the league type stuff.

I could write a goddamn book on it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg