As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] Beta Keys available in thread, next Beta event begins Feb 4th

• Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Normally I'm not real big on lore in these games, but some of the lore I've been reading about Rift is pretty cool. And some of it is a little wonky, too. I like the lore behind Mathosians, they're oddly the race that interests me most. Something about the dwarves doesn't look right.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    ^
    Also from mentioning the videos. Nothing makes me enrage quicker than hearing some nasally british fop mumble on about how "Like WoW, lawl WoW, etc WoW," FACEPUNCH!

See, on a PvP server, you get to kill these people =)

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would also appreciate a beta key if there are any available!

pentium166 on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That sounds pretty cool!

Gonna also try a necro cause I always like necromancers.

The only problem that I have with Necromancer's is that, if I remember correctly, the first pet you get is a DPS pet instead of a tanking pet, which was a rude surprise when I got it. You get a tanking pet rather fast if you're main-lining the tree, but I was just planning on using it as a 0 point pet spec. Other than that my brief time was Necromancer spells was pretty fun.
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Honestly, with the giant flood of beta keys being sent out, this week's beta sounds more like a stress test to me.

Which is not inherently bad, but based on my admittedly limited experience with the Age Of Conan stress test, very little playing of the actual game may be involved.

Eh, they handled 600/700ish players in a 40ish meter radius circle without crashing anything over the last few beta tests, so I wouldn't worry too much about server stability.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only person handing out keys D:

Or am I the only one with no life atm >.>;.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone messed around with the Chloromancer soul? I've been wanting a healer-through-damage forever now, with the closest I've found being a gobbo shaman in WAR. How exactly is the healing handled with chloromancy? Also, how well does it synergize with some of the other mage souls? I was taking a quick look at their soul-builder, but not knowing what I'm doing, I'm not sure where to even begin. I was thinking about a chloro/storm/archon build.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    From what I understand... they heal by doing damage.

Not much more complicated then that, honestly. Not looked at the tree much really.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »
    Has anyone messed around with the Chloromancer soul? I've been wanting a healer-through-damage forever now, with the closest I've found being a gobbo shaman in WAR. How exactly is the healing handled with chloromancy? Also, how well does it synergize with some of the other mage souls? I was taking a quick look at their soul-builder, but not knowing what I'm doing, I'm not sure where to even begin. I was thinking about a chloro/storm/archon build.

It essentially works like this: You have a few short cooldown short cast time (or, with talents, instant) heals for emergency situations, but most of your healing comes from Lifegiving Veil which heals everyone within a certain radius for half of all life damage you do (and a tiny fraction of all other types of damage). You are then given a few damaging spells, Radiant Spores (which gives allies a chance to heal themselves for however much damage they do), and some utility spells. You also get Synthesis, a buff that increases the healing Lifegiving Veil gives to a single person, and a few other life spells that work off of your Synthesis target, such as a spell that does less damage than its equal level counterparts but does much more healing to the buffed party member or a long CD ability that gives you mana when your Synthesis target is hit.

As for souls to go with it, I went with Elementalist/Archon. Archon is a natural mix, being a support tree, and Elementalist's 0 point tanking pet works well with your heals/Sythensis and creates essentially an unkillable pet for soloing.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »

Here's a link to a thread I made about Chloromancers vs. Clerics on the official forums: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?29486-Chloromancer-vs.-Cleric-as-a-main-healer-%28in-both-PvP-and-PvE%29

The gist, from the answers I got and some other threads, is that they seem to be good at a constant stream of AoE healing as well as some pretty solid numbers on a single target (i.e., the tank). Where they falter is when shit hits the fan. They have limited clutch heals, so you'll have to work pretty hard to save someone from the brink of death. They also don't have any direct heals that are not on a cooldown (IIRC), so when things get really hectic, you might be in trouble. Finally, they're quite a bit more squishy than a mail-wearing cleric with a shield, so there may be pvp issues. All in all, they sound like fantastic support healers, and they can probably main heal reasonably well. I've heard that numerous Chloros have successfully solo-healed every instance we've seen in beta so far.

Edit: Also, warlock is an excellent secondary soul for Chloros. They can sacrifice health for mana and boost the amount of charge they get from spells, which fuels quite a few of nice Chloro abilities.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    ErragalErragal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Edit: Also, warlock is an excellent secondary soul for Chloros. They can sacrifice health for mana and boost the amount of charge they get from spells, which fuels quite a few of nice Chloro abilities.

Second tier warlock ability also gives instant cast procs, which is really powerful for chloro that has several longish cast time abilities. Lots of synergy between warlock/chloro, that's my planned healing build at release for sure.

Erragal on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only person handing out keys D:

Or am I the only one with no life atm >.>;.

Nah, I check back from time to time to see if there are any key requests that haven't been edited yet... I just haven't found many!

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Key obtained! Thanks muchly.

Sea of Thorns on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw how quickly this thread was moving. Now I'm rather interested. Got my beta key and downloaded the client the other day. My wife got a VIP key from a friend and applied it, but still hasn't gotten her "approval" so she can download the client too. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I've been messing with the talent calculator a bit, and what do you guys think of Archon/Chloromancer/Pyromancer?

one of the first Talents for Archons is +5% to fire damage, which benefits the pyromancer side, and someone said Archon goes good with Chloro too.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man my code must be like, under 5 uses now. I AM the fucking Keymaster.

Arthil on
  • Options
    YranYran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would definitely like to give this game a shake if anyone has a spare key.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • Options
    crewxpcrewxp Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    ditto on that!

crewxp on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The more I look at Necromancer the more I'm thinking maybe Mage instead of Rogue....

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so going cleric,

-the DPS stance for the justicar can AOE heal or single target heal reasonably well, yet it handels like a melee DPS spec. Love.
    -Three straight healing souls to mix and choose from? Yes please !!
    -I want to see the 31 point druid pet, the styer.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    I'm so going cleric,

-the DPS stance for the justicar can AOE heal or single target heal reasonably well, yet it handels like a melee DPS spec. Love.
    -Three straight healing souls to mix and choose from? Yes please !!
    -I want to see the 31 point druid pet, the styer.

This is pretty much where I was too, then I saw the Bard soul and my world came tumbling down. Looking at the videos from the other thread, Bards seem to be so awesome, and although I had complaints about the sound effects, on further inspection they are actually pretty good. Your music sounds off-key if you get attacked, and underwater everything is affected, even the music of the game. There's one exception to the sound effects, however, and is the root of why I hated them at first glance...
    The damn trumpets. Trumpets are never appropriate for anything except the circus.
    day9.gif

Why did they add the trumpets in? Why?

Paragon on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thought I might throw it out there, heres my VIP key (can be used 25 times), I figure it might as well get used.

TMRP-PE6H-Z2MZ-FRTT-GRKQ

Road Block on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Couple things

1) Could a Riftstalker/Bladedance/Bard work together or does bard not need to be on a tanking soul?

2) When you teleport around a sa riftstalker, can you control where you teleport?

Nyht on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Road Block wrote: »
    Thought I might throw it out there, heres my VIP key (can be used 25 times), I figure it might as well get used.

TMRP-PE6H-Z2MZ-FRTT-GRKQ

Used it thanks a bunch

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm thinking about running a Reaver/Riftblade/Paragon build for a decent melee DPS.

How important is min/maxing to the gameplay thus far?

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    1) You have three real options for rogue tanking: Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Bard, Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Ranger, or Riftstalker/Bard/Ranger. Bard and Ranger are nice support souls for tanking because of the hit points you gain - this is good because your shield scales based on your max hp - and for the damage reduction (6% flat reduction in ranger, 3% hit and crit reduction in bard). Early on, I suggest Riftstalker/Bard/Ranger because you really start benefiting from Bladedancer once you get your dodge and parry rates up, and you need around 23 points for that (plus at least 21 in Riftstalker, if not more, as your tanking base). Bard and Ranger are great with 8+ (all the way up to 20ish) and 8 points, respectively. This is true up to level 27, in my experience, at least.

2) 1 puts you straight forward, a couple to the target (some front, some behind), and one takes you back to a previously set location, if it is in range.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This game wasn't even on my radar until I saw how quickly this thread was moving. Now I'm rather interested. Got my beta key and downloaded the client the other day. My wife got a VIP key from a friend and applied it, but still hasn't gotten her "approval" so she can download the client too. :P

So download the client on your account on her machine, so when she gets the E-Mail it is already done.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

TMRP-PE6H-Z2MZ-FRTT-GRKQ

My gf and I snagged this, thanks for posting.

Is PA gonna try to do some guild stuff/testing in this beta phase?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^
    Also from mentioning the videos. Nothing makes me enrage quicker than hearing some nasally british fop mumble on about how "Like WoW, lawl WoW, etc WoW," FACEPUNCH!

Agreed.

I understand WoW is a baseline nowdays for comparing MMOs... but I fully hate how any new MMO has its general chat just flooded with that stuff.

If I was to have a hand in making an MMO, there would be a chat filter. Abbreviations of other MMOs would be on the list of words to either filter into something else or just cause that chat line to not be displayed.

Text on my screen doesn't bother me, I dont use ignore lists at all like some toolbags who brag about putting people on ignore... its just text after all, no need to focus on it. I just hate how useless most general chat systems are in relation to the game I am playing because its just WoW discussion. I like WoW, and when I wanna talk about it I'll go play it. But alot of the social interaction that used to happen in MMOs seems to be drowned out with these same old conversations.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

TMRP-PE6H-Z2MZ-FRTT-GRKQ

Used this one as well, thanks.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I've been messing with the talent calculator a bit, and what do you guys think of Archon/Chloromancer/Pyromancer?

one of the first Talents for Archons is +5% to fire damage, which benefits the pyromancer side, and someone said Archon goes good with Chloro too.

I might reconsider adding Chloro to that mix. From my understanding, Chloro really only works if you dedicate your whole character to it. Non-life damage spells barely heal for anything through Chloro talents, and meanwhile, you're gutting your Pyro damage by combining it with a bunch of Chloro talents. If you want a good Pyro build, take a look at Pyro/Elementalist with just a little bit of Archon. If you're leaning towards Chloro, try replacing Pyro in your build with Warlock or Necro.

This is, of course, assuming you're trying to min/max a little bit. If you just want to be a fireball slinging, healer mage, then by all means. :^:

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have the client downloaded and assuming this runs at all on this old heap (it's iffy) then I'll probably run Cleric of some form. I was thinking Inquisitor/Druid/Warden or Shaman/Druid/Warden.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

TMRP-PE6H-Z2MZ-FRTT-GRKQ

Used it as well. Thanks!

Dedian on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man my code must be like, under 5 uses now. I AM the fucking Keymaster.

Hey there. I hear you're looking for the Gatekeeper. :winky:
    Yes, I know someone made the joke last thread.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm loving the look of Necromancer/Warlock. They support each other very well with the bonuses to DoT's and Death damage. Just not sure about a 3rd Soul.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    I'm loving the look of Necromancer/Warlock. They support each other very well with the bonuses to DoT's and Death damage. Just not sure about a 3rd Soul.

I just threw in a dominator 0-point soul for the free metamorphis.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To add more to the 'alpha notes are beta 5 patch notes', the Rift Podcast confirms that the public grouping function for Rifts outlined in the questionable alpha notes is coming in beta 5. They also talk about how they're fixing solo queue vs group queue in Warfront's, as well as several different Warfronts.

-edit-

CTF Warfront at level 30

'Battle For Point Scion' at level 50. They're saying that BFPS will be great for PvPers and PvEers, since you'll be fighting the Guardian/Defiants as well as NPC Plane of Death people. They make it sound like doing PvE stuff, such as killing a boss, will help out with the PvP stuff. The description of BFPS is like AV, just instead of gathering scraps to upgrade NPCs you gather things to unleash Rifts on the enemy faction. They also call it the 'land war on Asia', remarking that the map is huge but it's broken up since you're fighting in a town. It's 20 v 20. The BFPS (the Warfront) will be open launch day, but Port Scion, the actual area, will be a post-release patch (it sounds like it's a raid thing they're going to add on to move the story of the world forward).

You can check out the podcast's thread here. They also say you can't actually 'level up' your PvP soul until you're level 50. At that point, you'll gain a second XP bar which Prestige will unlock. They also talk about Valor; it sounds exactly like Resilience except that it's a 'core' stat, so it will go up as you level. I don't know much about Resilience, though, so there might be some difference.

-even more edits-

Oh, so this is strange. They talk about alpha, which most people know about as their still-NDA'd full level server for friends/family/testers, but he talks about 'Omega' which is the same thing but focused on PvP. Is this normal for MMO's?

Jeez, this podcast has a ton of stuff. World PvP wise, they talk about 'Super' Wardstones in the open world that, if killed and an item from them returned to your side, will give you massive PvP benefits. They expect for these to become world PvP hotspots. As for low level ganking, they talk about how they haven't normalized much, so if a level 50 wants to roll into a low level zone and attempt to gank they can easily be swamped by level 20s, and those 20s will get some pretty nice rewards (but a level 50 attacking would get pretty much no reward at all). They don't plan city sieges, but the 'bosses' of each city are pretty beastly anyway. There are no 'kill this leader' achievements, but they do have other odd things, like an achievement for dueling a player in an enemy city. Midgame quest hubs are close to one another, where as end game quest hubs are shared, so it's implied about how even on a PvP server you may have to chose if you want to start something in a quest hub for fear of locking it down.

-edit 3-

Last bit of open world PvP stuff: Apparently, while you can't steal items from enemy players that you've killed, each player will have their own loot table depending on their gear and what zone they're in. The example they give is looting an epic bow off of an enemy player's corpse. As for the stress test, Abigale (a community manager) mentions that they have extra servers on standby in case the numbers go higher than expected, but she couldn't divulge how many they have.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I has a beta key?

I'm really interested in trying this out. It's been a long, long time since there was an MMO with this much character build customization. I love me some variety!

Typically, I'm a warrior type, but in my last D&D campaign I played as a bard and fell in love. I'm totally giving bard a shot in this.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh, so this is strange. They talk about alpha, which most people know about as their still-NDA'd full level server for friends/family/testers, but he talks about 'Omega' which is the same thing but focused on PvP. Is this normal for MMO's?

He implies that Alpha and Omega are the names of the alpha servers, with Omega being the pvp one.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I got randomly invited to the beta without preordering, which is pretty cool. Next event starts tomorrow, pretty excited!

I am a bit worried though. I figured I'd write this up and then read the thread, giving me something to do right now, so if we've talked at length these 4 pages about these, ignore me completely.

A lot of the things in this game, since I have started researching it, have looked really, genuinely cool. I like that they have public quests, the class system is obviously really compelling, but there's a couple big concerns I have.

First, is it very gear based?
    And second, are they doing anything to maintain balance between the two factions?

It's always been my experience that dual-faction PvP is the worst because the factions inevitably get imbalanced, usually by a large margin. Is it too early to tell?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rend wrote: »

First, is it very gear based?

Not sure how it breaks down at max level, but so far it seems kind of like WoW, at least with regards to PvE. I'm not sure how PvP is.
    Rend wrote: »
    And second, are they doing anything to maintain balance between the two factions?

It's always been my experience that dual-faction PvP is the worst because the factions inevitably get imbalanced, usually by a large margin. Is it too early to tell?

They don't have any class differences, so nothing there. Each race has its own abilities, but most of them seem to be very minor differences/have roughly an equivalent ability on the other side. The only stand out one is the Kelari (and that's only because of massive synergy between a do more damage with crits passive and an auto-crit active), but I believe the devs have stated that they plan on toning it down. As for numbers, the beta makes it seem like the Guardians will be somewhat outnumbered, but this is just a beta. We'll have to see when it comes to live how the players will split.

SimpsonsParadox on
This discussion has been closed.