As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Parks & Recreation]: And so we come to the end of all things.

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Parksnrec.jpg

Parks and Recreation has finally returned to Thursday nights at 8:30pm on NBC.

Characters that matter:

Leslie_Knope.jpg
Leslie Knope
Deputy Director of the Pawnee, Indiana department of Parks & Recreation. The eternal optimist, Leslie Knope thinks that government can do great things. Unfortunately, she oftens runs into obstacles in the form of reality and people who suck. She is played by Amy Poehler. At the end of Season 4 Leslie completed her run for a seat on the city council, narrowly defeating Paul Rudd.
vote_knope.jpg

Ann_Perkins.jpg
Ann Perkins
Ann is a nurse who started the series dating Andy and complaining about a giant empty pit next to her house. Now she's dumped Andy and is Leslie's best friend, often partaking in shenanigans with her. She is played by Rashida Jones. At the end of Season 4 she had a job as Attorney General for Pawnee... or something. She now works in City Hall so she can be near Leslie for hijinx, but she's also dating Tom because life isn't fair.

ronswanson-1.gif
Ron Swanson:
Speaking of canoes. Ron is the head of the Pawnee department of Parks and Recreation. Allow me to put it this way. Ron Swanson is so awesome that he can cut down a tree and carve an autoharp from its fallen trunk while simultaneously drinking enough Guinness to kill an ordinary, lesser man. He is also secretly a Jazz musician operating under the name Duke Silver. He is played by Nick Offerman who is, according to all reports, just as manly as the character he portrays. At the end of season 4, Ron remains exactly where he was when the season began, right down to the mustache.

449px-Tom_Haverford.jpg
Tom Haverford:
Tom is a selfish, sycophantic, angry little man with tiny woman feet. He is also damn funny and looks adorable in a raccoon hat. He is played by Aziz Ansari. At the end of Season 4 Entertainment 7wenty (Entertainment 720) and Jean-Ralphio are basically kaput and he has gone back to the Parks Department to work PR. He's also dating Ann Perkins because life isn't fair.

324633-01_large.jpg
April Ludgate:
April started the series as the student who was filming the mockumentary style that the show employs, but has since graduated to being employed by Ron as "The moat which keeps the angry disgusting peasants away from Swanson castle". She's played by Aubrey Plaza. As of the end of Season 4 she's married to Andy Dwyer and has convinced him to pursue a career in law enforcement because, you know, that will end well.

andy.jpg
Andy Dwyer
Andy started the series as a quasi-homeless layabout with two broken legs and a band that never performed. Now he's the shoeshine boy at a government office. So... there's that. He's played by Chris Pratt. At the end of Season 4 he decided to become a police officer. He's a kind-hearted yet incredibly dim young man.

small_Adam_Scott_mag_parks_recreation.jpg
Ben Wyatt
Became mayor of a small town at the age of 18. Bankrupted the town. Now some kind of budget manager who has been brought to Pawnee to fix the budget. As of the end of Season 4 he's crazy in love with Leslie Knope and is whisking away to Washington D.C. to try and be a political awesometron, he's also into Claymation for no adequate reason. He is played by Adam Scott

Chris_Traeger.jpg
Chris Traeger
Some kind of superhuman thing. Health nut, crazy for rules, doesn't eat red meat, and his heart is strong enough to pump jet fuel. He's been brought in as City Manager after the previous city manager grabbed Leslie Knope's boob and had a heart attack. At the end of Season 4 he was still broken up with Ann Perkins and was trying to get Pawnee healthy, but has adopted Champion the 3-legged Super Dog to help him heal. He is played by Rob Lowe.

Here's what you missed in season 4:
-Leslie was elected to the Pawnee City Council seat formerly occupied by Bradley Whitford
-Ben got offered a job in Washington D.C. working on a national campaign
-April informed Andy that he should totally go out and become a Police Officer
-April began to care. And stuff. Kind of.
-Chris and Champion the three-legged dog are totally BFFs
-Anne and Tom are dating. Quit your bitching.

IT'S ON BITCHES!

Here's an extended version of the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness sequence from the Season 3 Premiere.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/208819/parks-and-recreation-the-swanson-pyramid-of-greatness#s-p1-sr-i1

Taramoor on

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes! I am so glad that this show is back. For anyone who hasn't seen this before, I believe seasons 1 and 2 are still available on Netflix Instant Watch. Season 1 isn't spectacular (although it certainly has its moments), but Season 2 really knocks it out of the park.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah they're on Netflix Instant now, and well worth a viewing. Also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU

TomeWyrm on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness now set as my laptop's wallpaper, in the hopes that I will one day be a fraction as great as him. I already share his love of pretty dark-haired women and breakfast foods.

As reported in the Community thread, Parks and Rec got fantastic, series-high ratings last night. :^:

Hopefully, it can mostly hold on to those numbers in the coming weeks.

Captain Tragedy on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never heard of this show. It looks fantastic.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why did it take this long for us to have a Parks and Rec thread? This is nice.

I think Adam Scott and Rob Lowe should be in the OP, since both are series regulars, just food for thought.

Not Jerry though.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lasts night show. Was greatness X 100. I cant believe I am able to watch this, Community and 30 rock all in one night.

projectmayhem on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Parks and Rec is the only show on TV even in Community's pantheon of hilarity. Top three funniest characters on TV:

1. Ron Swanson
    2. Troy Barnes
    3. RON SWANSON.

Because a Swanson always counts for 2 regular men.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That was one hell of a basketball game.

Dehumanized on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The full Swanson Pyramid.

Spoiler'd for hugeness.
    pyramid.jpg

Taramoor on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The full Swanson Pyramid.

Spoiler'd for hugeness.
    pyramid.jpg

I love that Romantic Love is sandwiched between Chicken Protein and Deer Protein. Right where it belongs.

Kiwi on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Skim Milk: "That's right, it's on here twice. Avoid it."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    Intensity: "Give 100%. 110% is impossible. Only idiots recommend that."

Taramoor on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When you see into Ron Swanson's own workshop - that is one of the best moments.

Also the Swanson Pyramid of greatness is one of the best things I've ever seen on television.

Property Rights: They Exist. Do not let them be taken away from you.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited January 2011
    (Maybe) my favorite Season 2 quote from Ron
    "I accidentally told them what you're doing in an attempt to save some government jobs. It's been a very strange day for me."

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So glad this show is back. Ron Swanson is the greatest character ever. It's even better that Nick Offerman is bascially Ron Swanson in real life too.

quovadis13 on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    (Maybe) my favorite Season 2 quote from Ron
    "I accidentally told them what you're doing in an attempt to save some government jobs. It's been a very strange day for me."
    My favorite: "We can't have raccoons for the Christmas thing. They'll hunt the kids for sport."

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nick-Offerman.jpg

Hoz on
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    Nick-Offerman.jpg

That is the most unnatural thing I have ever seen.

Taramoor on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Nick-Offerman.jpg

That is the most unnatural thing I have ever seen.

Somehow, he manages to have a mustache while clean-shaven.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited January 2011
    "Yes, my mother's name was Tammy. Why do you ask?"

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really do love this show, especially when the entire cast is just playing off each other (or ripping into Jerry).

One of the best parts of the show are the completely inappropriate and un-PC mur(in)als celebrating Pawnee's unsavoury history. It's like a 1 minute laugh for a few seconds screentime.

Bad Kitty on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    The new opening credits are so adorkable <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXNDJnwpvig

Opium on
    edited January 2011
    That reminds me of this:

ron_swanson_3_by_tallychyck-d36q57o.jpg

Taramoor on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    This is wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAwN-kdrHo

This should be #1 on every record chart in the universe

Opium on
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I love this show, and it's all because of the amazing chemistry between the cast members. Knope and Swanson are the funniest duo on television right now.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    pyramid-jumbo.jpg

Opium on
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdXDnO5pNg

Warning: Naughty language.

Taramoor on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so glad that this show is back, and that it actually has its own thread this year. Good work, Taramoor.

Last year when I poked in, I always had to defend it from haters in the short-lived NBC Thursdays thread. After all the attention community got here last year, I'm glad Parks and Rec is finally getting some more of its own.

HadjiQuest on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad to see that season 3 is picking right back off where season 2 left, comedy-wise. This is great.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This show is the biggest turnaround from "Oh god, no. No, I do not need a second Office. No thank you." to "Holy shit its the best" in history for me. I am so glad this was on Netflix so I gave it a whirl, and absolutely love it.

I will say though, I was kind of suprised that Brandanowitz is actually gone. I figured he'd be hanging around at his new job, but it really seems like he's actually gone, which is unfortunate. I just re-watched the one where they make the mural again, and he was such a great addition to the cast. The way he made his "totally safe" art was hilarious.

"Its an old man feeding birds. Absolutely no stance on anything."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Opium on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    This show is the biggest turnaround from "Oh god, no. No, I do not need a second Office. No thank you." to "Holy shit its the best" in history for me.

I watched the first episodes when the show premiered and yeah it just felt like an office rip off. I gave up on it until I caught a few episodes of the second season and good hooked.

Kyougu on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fact they kept Tom as the referee just because he had his footlocker uniform still on was marvelous.

Glad to see this really found it's stride and I'm very happy about Rob Lowe sticking around for another season - he is a solid character.

Torso: Thick and impenetrable.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Opium wrote: »
    This is wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAwN-kdrHo

This should be #1 on every record chart in the universe

this is great

Fartacus on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually have always wished that the Parks and Rec opening was a clip from a full song. It's so catchy.

Fartacus on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Glad to see this really found it's stride and I'm very happy about Rob Lowe sticking around for another season - he is a solid character.
    Is he on board for he full season or just a few episodes? I'm getting conflicting results on this -- some sources say he's a guest star, while others say he's a series regular. He's in the opening credits but not in the season 3 cast photo, so that's inconclusive as well.

tumblr_lfe321pYLf1qgtavqo1_500.jpg

Opium on
    edited January 2011
    So, tonight on Parks & Recreation

-Leslie gets the flu
    -Andy and Ron have bonding time.
    -Tom goes to the spa.

Taramoor on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SUPER STRAW!