As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat] 4.0.6 broke stuff. Some care, others mock them for it. Film at 11

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you don't have the traveler's tundra mammoth, it's definitely worth it for vendor access anywhere you can mount. Well, if you use that toon for any kind of farming at least.

Lars on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    I find Archaeology only a mild nuisance rather than a sanity-draining hellchore if I have podcasts to listen to while to do it.

Sadly, I've almost exhausted Marc Maron's podcast backlog.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This evening I hit 450 in archaeology from farming eastern kingdom on my death knight, 1500 troll fragments stored and my third solve pops the Zin'Rokh. I'm still in a state of shock...

Numi on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Numi wrote: »
    This evening I hit 450 in archaeology from farming eastern kingdom on my death knight, 1500 troll fragments stored and my third solve pops the Zin'Rokh. I'm still in a state of shock...

Congrats!
    You dirty, no-good, sand-sucking, sonuva ...
    But seriously, congrats.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had 1500 NE fragments saved up when I hit 75/450, did not get the trinket. Oh well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I find Archaeology only a mild nuisance rather than a sanity-draining hellchore if I have podcasts to listen to while to do it.

Ugh, no. I know I'll be crucified for saying it, but I have a strong dislike of pretty much anything zombie-related. So tired of zombies.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Ugh, no. I know I'll be crucified for saying it, but I have a strong dislike of pretty much anything zombie-related. So tired of zombies.

http://www.illegal-art.org/video/wizard.html

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://www.radiolab.org/

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go for this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/

The best podcast out there and amazingly apropos.

shryke on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fuck you! I'm on my 65th solve and no sword D:.

And by that I mean grats you silliest of geese.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks and I know how you guys feel, having burned throw 1400 fragments on my paladin with bupkis to show for it. Troll archaeology is it's own special kind of hell.

Numi on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd kill for an aggregator like they have in Runes of Magic.

Then again, if they had those, I'd probably tailor every single one of my weapons to look like the molten fists that drop off trash in Hyjal (the BC raid instance, not the zone).

So many awesome models that are totally fucking wasted.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Step 1: Do the Earthen quest line in Deepholm until you get to "Rescue the Stonefather... and Flint" quest and leave it in your quest log uncompleted
    Step 2: Fly around Needlerock Chasm picking up masses of uncontested Heartblossom and Cinderbloom any time you feel like it
    Step 3: Puppet

Thank you! I was able to actually get enough herbs to MAKE something with Inscription. >.> Now I shall live in Deepholm forever.

Aurin on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay for abusing quest mechanics!

Astale on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks and I know how you guys feel, having burned throw 1400 fragments on my paladin with bupkis to show for it. Troll archaeology is it's own special kind of hell.

You people don't know what hell is until you've tried Tol'Vir. 1400 troll fragments? Pfft! By the time I finally got the Vial of Sands recipe from my ninth Canopic Jar, I had over 3500 fossil and 8000 night elf fragments leftover after I had gotten all of their rares.

grrarg on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Where do you live, i wish to ki-congratulate you personally.

Arrath on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    grrarg wrote: »

You people don't know what hell is until you've tried Tol'Vir. 1400 troll fragments? Pfft! By the time I finally got the Vial of Sands recipe from my ninth Canopic Jar, I had over 3500 fossil and 8000 night elf fragments leftover after I had gotten all of their rares.

And what do you do with the leftover?

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aurin wrote: »
    Step 1: Do the Earthen quest line in Deepholm until you get to "Rescue the Stonefather... and Flint" quest and leave it in your quest log uncompleted
    Step 2: Fly around Needlerock Chasm picking up masses of uncontested Heartblossom and Cinderbloom any time you feel like it

Thank you! I was able to actually get enough herbs to MAKE something with Inscription. >.> Now I shall live in Deepholm forever.

Honestly I hope more people do this because then it means the herbs are gathered and get a chance to spread across the rest of the zone instead of accumulating in that phase.

Opty on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    grrarg wrote: »

And what do you do with the leftover?

Solve as many commons as possible now they're buffing the gold they vendor for in 4.06 (Up to 1k gold for some)

-SPI- on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking at the partial price list on mmochump, most of the night elf and fossil commons still vendor for 10g or less.

The one that vendors for 1k is a "rare" (because it does not show up until 450+ skill) dwarf common. The next highest listed ones (100-180g) are also "rare" commons, dwarf and nerubian. Nothing to get excited about for all the time required, but of course, they do not have data for the Tol'Vir commons yet. For all the time it takes just getting Tol'Vir sites to spawn, their commons should vendor for a minimum of 5k gold.

Edit: On second glance, they do have some of the Tol'Vir commons listed. In most cases they DOUBLED the vendor value, from 90s to 1g 80s or 1g to 2g. What. The. Fuck.

grrarg on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am still only at 120 or so in Arch ... should probably dig around some more on occasion.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why is archaeology so dull? They had plenty of feedback on all of the other professions to know what people might want. Flying for ages to get to randomly-spawned digsites for an hour to recieve a random common artifact, with a small chance of a decent item/fun thing doesn't even sound good on paper. If they had a wowbook amount of lore for each object, and you only got each one once, that would be fun, you could tick them off, and it'd feel less random.

It's also a pain that it's not practical to do whilst levelling, because the dig sites are in odd locations spread out over a continent, but then when you're high enough to do it, the first 450 skill levels are utterly pointless and just a horrible grind.

Why am I still planning on bloody digging when I get home from work. It's like spade-crack.

TPSou on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty much how I feel about Arch as well, and why I've basically given up on it. I used to only do it while waiting for my DPS queue, now I just fly around picking herbs.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man arch is annoying if you don't have 280+ flying too. Was doing it on an alt and hoooly shit.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, due to some quest shenanigans in Hillsbrad, I managed to get the Alliance AV faction on my reputation tab. It was hilarious last night to be questing and suddenly see "You are now hated with the Stormpike Guard."

Sure enough, I now see "Alliance Forces" and "Stormpike Guard" on my rep tab, right above "Horde" and "Horde Forces."

Samphis on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think tanking my first heroic stonecore aged my about 5 years.

I'm all for difficulty, but not when failing to an effect once wipes the whole fucking group because of a damn instakill effect leaving you feeling guilty as fuck as you just failed and wasted the time of 4 other people.

Fuck Ozruk. My blood presure has increased 10 fold just from that fight.

Wipe 1: Was expecting a fancy spell effect for the shockwave, turns out he does fuck all and you have to watch the cast bar.

Wipe 2: Ran through him too early??? and he shockwaved the whole group.

Wipe 3-4: Didn't get through him in time even know I swear to god I was watching that cast bar like a hawk.

And that's not mentioning the times I completely blanked on the firepool on Slabhide, the wipe on Corborus (although that apparently wasn't my fault) and get a boulder to the face on Azil.

Just... fuck, man. I'm going to go take up smoking. I even made sure I had done it on normal and watched the tankspot video guide for it, and that did fuck all.

Ed: The rest of the heroics arn't like this though, right?

Right?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was trying to talk my guild's DK tank through Heroic BRC over the weekend. Steelbender nearly made him quit the game (it didn't help that the pug hunter was giving him bad advice). I ended up having to switch off my mage and onto my paladin to demonstrate how to tank it.

He hasn't done Ozruk yet, and I'm afraid to see how that's going to turn out.

Nobody on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand what you guys are complaining about. First you complained that you couldn't find a group, so blizzard gave you LFD. Then you complained that your queues were too long, so they gave you Archeology. They also made hunting for resource nodes more exciting, too!

c'mon guys. Quit looking gift horses in the mouth.

belligerent on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »

I'm all for difficulty, but not when failing to an effect once wipes the whole fucking group because of a damn instakill effect leaving you feeling guilty as fuck as you just failed and wasted the time of 4 other people.

Wipe 1: Was expecting a fancy spell effect for the shockwave, turns out he does fuck all and you have to watch the cast bar.

Wipe 3-4: Didn't get through him in time even know I swear to god I was watching that cast bar like a hawk.

And that's not mentioning the times I completely blanked on the firepool on Slabhide, the wipe on Corborus (although that apparently wasn't my fault) and get a boulder to the face on Azil.

Just... fuck, man. I'm going to go take up smoking. I even made sure I had done it on normal and watched the tankspot video guide for it, and that did fuck all.

Right?

Ozruk really isn't that bad once you get a handle on him. He's really only got two moves, and you just dance with him. I tend to tank right in the middle of the tunnel.

As soon as you see Ground Slam casting, run through him and pull him up the tunnel a few feet.

As soon as Paralyze hits, start running the other direction (away from the group, pulling him back down the tunnel a few feet).

Ground Slam, run through and back up the tunnel.

That's pretty much it. Both GS and Shatter have long enough casts to avoid pretty easily.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand what you guys are complaining about. First you complained that you couldn't find a group, so blizzard gave you LFD. Then you complained that your queues were too long, so they gave you Archeology. They also made hunting for resource nodes more exciting, too!

When all my nodes stop fucking spawning in either Wintergrasp or Feralas/Silithus, I'll stop bitching. You get either all north or all south, nothing in between. So you get your five nodes from the south, only to get one or two up north, and no others. So you fly up there. In the meantime, more have spawned in the south, so you have to complete it all in the north only to have to fly all the fuck back south. Rinse, lather, repeat.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I have a similar deal going in with Twilight Highlands. I dinged after basically doing the beginning stuff and unlocking the dailies and stuff, so I stopped. And i've noticed I get a ton of nodes regardless of how many folks are there mining.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When all my nodes stop fucking spawning in either Wintergrasp or Feralas/Silithus, I'll stop bitching. You get either all north or all south, nothing in between. So you get your five nodes from the south, only to get one or two up north, and no others. So you fly up there. In the meantime, more have spawned in the south, so you have to complete it all in the north only to have to fly all the fuck back south. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I've found the Uldum/Hyjal portals to be a wonderful convenience for such things.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nyht wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if I've been doing Heroic Lady Naz "wrong" from the Heroic Throne of the Tides. Usually, when the gets to phase 2, we CC the two caster adds and I tank the big guy. Been doing this successfully since I first started doing the dungeon. Run it with guildies usually but on occasion when I HAVE to LFD, I get thrown in it and have done fine enough with this philosophy.

Last night was a bit different. I come into the dungeon already on the Lady Naz fight. They ask if I know the fight, I say yes, and we get ready to go. They remind me to kite the big add and pick up one of the casters too while we were still in phase 1. This was partly my fault for not asking how THEY did it but I told them I've never had to kite the big add before. They say fine, whatever (three of them were in the same guild, 2 dps and a healer). I also ask why we dont just cc the extra add too since we had the cc to do it and they ignore me. Phase 2 hits, they cc one and gripe about the other so I quickly pick it up and pop anti magic shell along with ice bound fortitude. My health started going down about as usual but I noticed unlike past times I wasn't getting healed nearly as well. Soon I end up dead on the ground, even after a vampiric blood, rune tap and some self heals from lichborne (I"m a DK, blood tank).

The three guildies, after the wipe, go on to assure me of my awfulness and to go learn how to play Cataclysm and play my class. Usually when the "l2p noob" thing comes out of someone's mouth, they automatically lose any credibility I might have given them. However I decided to look it up and sure enough, some people do seem to kite the big guy and leave a caster add running about.

My guild healer along with the past pug healers never complained about healing me in the past, be in that fight or others and usually my tank/healer relationship seemed pretty solid. Its easy for me to write it off as a bad healer/guild/group kind of thing but now I'm curious if its a common thing to kite the big guy or if most people just tank the guy and avoid tornadoes as we do and then proceed to pick up the last 2 from CC's ville. I'm not looking to make anyone's dungeon harder, I've just never had an issue with the fight before now (when it comes to the adds. Still people standing in the geysers/not bothering with interrupts).

(Probably mainly a question to other tanks as well as healers out there)

Those guys were morons. You don't need to kite the big add and the only time you leave a caster up is when you lack 2 CCs (which is sounds like you had). Them blaming you for doing your job correctly just further points to them being complete failures.

All that being said, that whole dungeon can go to hell. I hate it. Not as much as Stonecore, but it still sucks.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Right?

some guildies were talking about this last night.

one of the biggest issues with Cata right now is the heroics have a pretty broad range of difficulty. there are a few that are super easy. others that are just about right, and stonecore which is pretty much raid difficulty.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    edited January 2011

so what was the game plan for this? save up all troll fragments and use others for leveling and then when you hit 450 just start solving them all hoping you get the epic pop?

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quest mobs with damage shields can fuck right off. 830 damage per ret aura swing? 1300 damage from molten armor? Oi.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archeology is likely the way it is because its the bastard neutered stepchild of Path of the Titans.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Paths_of_the_Titans

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Right?

There has been some good advice already, but let me throw in my experience with that boss also.

NEVER face him towards anyone else. When I pull him I Grab him and put my back to a wall (Usually the wall on my right as we are looking at him before the pull). When he starts to cast Shockwave, I circle around him to the right so my back is facing down the hallway he is in. When he casts Paralyze (You will glow green for a second and your characters animations will freeze for a half second) then I run to the other side of the hallway (The Left wall as you are looking at him before the pull). When he casts shockwave I circle to my left and put my back down that hallway again. Rinse and repeat.

After the 3rd or so Shatter, he will start to Shockwave right after. Just be aware and able to move down the hallway when he starts to cast that to avoid it.

I think EVERY Tank had a tough time with him on their first Stonecore run. Other fights that can be frustrating for first timers are the First 3 bosses in Grim Batol(First boss is positioning to be able to grab troggs well, second boss is remembering to get away when he switches weapons, third boss is being aware of where fire elementals are spawned). Also The first boss in Tol'vir is annoying to me, he casts those mines so often and sometimes they blow up with no warning at all. Steelbender was honestly only difficult when I was letting the stacks fall off, and even then became easy when I realized I should not pay attention to the adds that are spawned if it does fall off. Second boss in Throne of Tides will wipe you if you go in cold, just watch a video on it and it should be easy for you.
    Nobody wrote: »
    I was trying to talk my guild's DK tank through Heroic BRC over the weekend. Steelbender nearly made him quit the game (it didn't help that the pug hunter was giving him bad advice). I ended up having to switch off my mage and onto my paladin to demonstrate how to tank it.

Speaking of your Paladin. We may be trying to go to To4W tonight at around 8pm EST. I may need a second Tank, would you be able to fill in if my other Tank is unable to log in? Keep in mind I may have to find a couple healers too, but I'm trying to go. so bad.

Buddies on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just strafe out of Ozruk's hitbox and the shockwave is no problem. Running through him gets you killed because you can be tagged by his hitbox or he will do stupid stuff like turn around and wipe the group.

He's the only hard fight to tank in Cata Heroics and only because his shockwave mechanic is so slapdash.

Walt on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buddies wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

Speaking of your Paladin. We may be trying to go to To4W tonight at around 8pm EST. I may need a second Tank, would you be able to fill in if my other Tank is unable to log in? Keep in mind I may have to find a couple healers too, but I'm trying to go. so bad.

hrm, I don't see why I shouldn't be available, I don't have anything planned for tonight. Gonna need to read up on the boss fights though.

Nobody on
This discussion has been closed.