As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 3 Coming in November

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    This is from a SP point of view (i barely play multiplayer).

Quite simply, the gameplay was tense yet fun. Especially my veteran run. I never felt that the AI was being cheap and when i died it was usually my own fault. Especially with grenades.

Now there's a lot of criticism about the friendly AI but i thought they were good too. Not amazing but they were never not helpful to some degree, Hell they even saved my arse on a few occasions too.

And the whole "your team mates never push forward" argument is stupid because if they did push forward then there would be nothing for you to do. You could just sit back and let them wear the opposition down. My only criticism is the never ending waves of bad guys. That did get annoying after awhile.

Feel free to rip MP apart because i don't play that.

Good thing you "only criticism" wasn't in MW2 then, right?

Seriously. People need to quit saying this as this was a problem in CoD4, not MW2.

You do realize that you are incorrect, and there are endless waves of enemies during the Favela fight, yes?

EDIT: Portions of the Favela fight. If you don't keep moving, they just keep spawning.

Fawst on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Quite simply, the gameplay was tense yet fun. Especially my veteran run. I never felt that the AI was being cheap and when i died it was usually my own fault. Especially with grenades.

Now there's a lot of criticism about the friendly AI but i thought they were good too. Not amazing but they were never not helpful to some degree, Hell they even saved my arse on a few occasions too.

And the whole "your team mates never push forward" argument is stupid because if they did push forward then there would be nothing for you to do. You could just sit back and let them wear the opposition down. My only criticism is the never ending waves of bad guys. That did get annoying after awhile.

Seriously. People need to quit saying this as this was a problem in CoD4, not MW2.

Really, that wasn't in there?

I thought the bad guys stopped coming because i had pushed forward to the next section. Not because i had killed everyone.

Karl on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fawst wrote: »

You do realize that you are incorrect, and there are endless waves of enemies during the Favela fight, yes?

EDIT: Portions of the Favela fight. If you don't keep moving, they just keep spawning.

No. It wasn't.

My sig stands correct once again.

Burtletoy on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If this is a prequel I'm not sure we'd really see much of Soap. He didn't meet up with Capt Price until CoD4, ja? I suppose we could follow him around before he got sent to join up with SAS though.

Anyway, I look forward to MW3. I've pretty much enjoyed playing the CoD MP since I started in CoD4. I've had DAYS worth of playtime (definitely multiple weeks over CoD4-BlOps) having fun shooting mans with PA duders, even with the bullshit glitches and such. Honestly, all I really hope for this time around with IW v2 is a beta (teehee, hahaha, bwahahaha, choke, gasp) and patching after release (i.e. look at how Treyarch's handling patching+communication for BlOps).

iTunesIsEvil on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fawst wrote: »
    I think that since after punching the guy with glass in his mouth he quickly turns around and joins you in a tactical escape, all the while talking perfectly normally, as if nothing happened to his mouth, negates the "shock" of the torture. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as "No Russian." Not even close.

Agreed in that the writing of the scene thereafter was to put it best, kind of shitty, given that the character in question could form words so easily. His joining you makes a certain amount of sense though: you do still want him alive in some form, the newcomers with guns are going to kill all of you.
    Burtletoy wrote:
    I shot all my tubes at the people in No Russian, and it pretty much screwed my for the riot shield cops under the planes at the later parts of the level.

People actually think No Russian was bad? It's like, did you never once play a GTA game?

OH NOES, SOME CIVILIAN PIXELS DIED.

Which misses the point almost entirely. This is not about arguing that the violence is real, but that the concept of the violent acts in and of themselves as ethically immoral on their own terms should not really be debateable...

It's like, sure we've played GTA games. That doesn't mean the actions of the characters are any less reprehensible from an Augustinian point of view, and that such things are most likely put in games to provoke both controversy and hopefully some thought about what is being done by the protagonists/player.

Keep in mind I'm also the same person who advocates leaving C4 with people in Last Stand/Second Chance as a goodbye card. :)

Note: Not going to keep on with this as this isn't the D&D area, though. I do hope that there's something like both of those in MW3, although I doubt at this time I will purchase it.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    Wasn't the first mission in CoD4 called "Shoot sleeping people on a boat"?

Burtletoy on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »
    If they put dedicated servers in for the next COD, I think it would fix most complaints about the game. EA did it, why can't you Activision?

Black Ops has dedicated servers on PC, but you don't get to host your own, you have to rent it from a specific provider. And despite all the talk pre-release about how they were going to make the PC version the best, they forgot to implement a way of letting friends be guaranteed to be on the same team.

Peewi on
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to echo earlier posts... bring back Spec Ops.

I've had a lot of fun playing those with friends. I say expand them. Go up to higher numbers of players required. Give me a mission where I need 3 men on the ground and one in a Blackbird calling out orders. Give me another along the rooftops where we, as a group, need to get in, secure a prisoner, and get him out alive. There are lots of fun things you could do with team-based missions.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait complaining about the torture in Black Ops?

Thats a feature of Splinter Cell Conviction

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The torture bit in Black Ops made me roll my eyes. Machismo. Testosterone.

Kowloon was probably the best level of the game, though.

adytum on
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really wish they would move forward with the series, instead of always moving backward timelime wise. I prefer high-tech guns that have cool gadgets on them. I also agree they need to beef up spec ops a lot and make it 4 player. The poster that suggested someone operate a aircraft/tank, that would be a awesome start.

For multiplayer I hope they really look at MW2 and figure out what ruined the experince(OMA,knifing, nukes) and work that out. I enjoyed the MW2 a lot even though it was broken as hell, so I hope they can expand on the good parts at least. I admit I hardly touched the CoD4 MP, so I couldn't tell you what made that a solid MP game. Just seriously, stop moving the timeline backwards.
    Let me use the SAS models in CoD4.

Tridus1x on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The real controversy in MW2 is that when you end up fighting in a DC suburb all the civilians magically dissappear.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited January 2011
    CoD / Left Behind crossover.

adytum on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to echo earlier posts... bring back Spec Ops.

I've had a lot of fun playing those with friends. I say expand them. Go up to higher numbers of players required. Give me a mission where I need 3 men on the ground and one in a Blackbird calling out orders. Give me another along the rooftops where we, as a group, need to get in, secure a prisoner, and get him out alive. There are lots of fun things you could do with team-based missions.

This. Spec Ops, for me, was really the shining jewel of MW2 and I was disappointed it wasn't revisited in Black Ops. Although more achievements or leader boards could help, I guess.

Plus, Jaunty and I managed to actually 3-star a good many of these too, although we often turned them into "Spec Oops" most of the time. But man those were fun times.

DietarySupplement on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The real controversy in MW2 is that when you end up fighting in a DC suburb all the civilians magically dissappear.

I assumed they'd have all been evacuated by then?

Karl on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I assumed they'd have all been evacuated by then?

How convenient.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just played MW2 up to Wolverines! this weekend and actually payed attention to the time markers on the side. Yeah no concempt of time in that game since the US gets invaded in like the third day after the tutorial mission.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, there's a whole lot of butt-hurt in this thread. For example:
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Hibernus wrote: »
    ITT: people complain about a series they didn't actually play.

I pretty much disregard any post made by someone I don't recognize from the CoD thread.

Yep, that's it. Close up shop guys, this here thread is for the COD fans only.

(If you dig in deep enough, you can maybe find a thread in 07 were I busted some nuts praising COD4. Does that count or does my membership lapse? Maybe I need fill out a renewal form? Ah, fuggitaboutit. Too much work and I'm lazy.)

Look, Modern Warfare 2 had its ups and downs, like any title: it gave us customizable kill streaks (and took the concept one step too far); it introduced a whole ton of new weapon attachments, but some were badly implemented (Thermal Scope, right? Why the fuck is snow bright white? derp derp derp); it was the first title to introduce the concept of evolving perks (unfortunately, they also introduced Mr. Fantastic knife-lunges, and the possibility of zero fall damage -- all rolled up into one fucking perk); it introduced a ton of bonus map content (too bad they raised the price to 50% the original value, the maps were far too large to be exciting, and were hideously designed from an objectives standpoint); Infinity Ward gave us a ton more weapons (but amped up their accuracy so much that recoil effectively ceased to exist -- the bullet spread on an ACR looks like a goddamned dinner plate, even from across the map).

So, yeah; ups and fucking downs.

I'll be honest; I absolutely fucking hated Modern Warfare 2. I seriously consider it the biggest dissapointment of my adult life, and I'm including Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in that statement. It was severely flawed, and it dialed back player skill by a remarkable amount, as players no longer had to deal with issues like weapon sway, recoil, or even reload times (10 second reload on an RPD, which becomes 5 seconds with SoH, but you can refill your weapon completely with OMA Pro while getting all of your equipment and ammo back in 3 seconds -- wow, really?).

Add on top of all that infinite noob tubes, Reed Richards, shotguns as fucking secondaries (and their range is 3x what it was in CoD4), SMGs with damage ratings so consistent that it's a 3-hit kill, regardless of range (40-35, IW, really?), and the Tactical Nuke (which gave assholes even less of a reason to go for objectives in non-Deathmatch gametypes), and you've got probably the most poorly designed and implemented game I've ever played.

The direction that the Single Player story took was shockingly bad. I mean, terrible. It made absolutely no sense under even the most cursory of examinations. Having said that, it was also a lot of fun. I still have no idea why I had to infiltrate an oil rig and save hostages within the context of the story, but it was fun. Storming the Gulag was fantastic. When Soap gives Price his pistol back, and everyone in TF141 is confused, because they have no idea who "Soap" is ... that's just a cool moment.

Infinity Ward made a good action movie: no plot, but it's saved by the fact that it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Their multiplayer though ... that's just awful.

I'm not going to talk shit about MW3 though; not until I've at least seen it in action.

milk ducks on
    edited January 2011
    But it sure was more fun than Blops.

Burtletoy on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Black Ops continues to be tremendously fun for me.

Modern Warfare 2 was fun for about a week, then I wanted to break my disc with a hammer and throw it out in the woods.

milk ducks on
    edited January 2011
    Actually, the campaign in MW2 was quite engaging right up until it went pants at the end, which somewhat retroactively ruined the rest of the game.

I guess I judge games differently, I don't take the MP into account at all.

adytum on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Didn't you go out and re-buy Blops recently? If MW2 was more fun, why not keep playing it?

Ganluan on
    edited January 2011
    I had a blast with MW2's MP; even with all of the issues.

Not sure how Brutle or Scat had fun with it though. What with their negative accuracy ratings. :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »

Didn't you go out and re-buy Blops recently? If MW2 was more fun, why not keep playing it?
    Everyone's playing BlOps, and (just guessing here) Brutle likes playing with PA people? I can't think of any "regulars" who have stuck with MW2 over BlOps.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree with a lot of what milk ducks wrote but despite it's flaws I had fun with MW2. I hope MW3 can learn from BLOPS like BLOPS learned from MW2.

jonny439 on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, but they were all bad. (Also smuggling nuclear weapons for crazed dictators)

Mechanical on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Yeah, but they were all bad. (Also smuggling nuclear weapons for crazed dictators)

Well, you see, this is the problem with terrorists. They're really inconsiderate when it comes to people's schedules.

I would have let them wake up, but we were in a hurry to be somewhere.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait complaining about the torture in Black Ops?

Thats a feature of Splinter Cell Conviction

Keep in mind that SC: Conviction was also terrible.

Dram on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Mechanical wrote: »

Well, you see, this is the problem with terrorists. They're really inconsiderate when it comes to people's schedules.

I would have let them wake up, but we were in a hurry to be somewhere.

I still thought that was bullshit. I don't even remember them being armed.

(Btw, I liked MW1 much, much more than MW2)

Kadoken on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If this game doesn't have a railgun....

joshgotro on
    edited January 2011
    What then, josh?

What then?

Burtletoy on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think i'll stick with Blops for a while before making the jump.

MW2 was fun but came with so much bullshit.

101 on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, why you gotta go spoil a torture scene for me? I was riveted - riveted - by the memoirs of Alec Mason - I mean Alex Mason - Australian - I mean American - war hero, currently strapped to an electric chair while his interrogators kindly helped him work through his PTSD. Seriously, this shit was edge-of-your-seat-Roger-Ebert-thinks-it's-art stuff.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    I really wish they would move forward with the series, instead of always moving backward timelime wise. I prefer high-tech guns that have cool gadgets on them.

Fuck yeah. Give me some prototypes and shit. Also give me my SCAR back.

Oh, and a multiplayer level with water I can swim in. That'd be neat.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering that 4 took place in 2011, I think it's safe to say you can still have your fancy high-tech weapons.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2011
    I probably won't play it.

joshgotro on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like black multi models if their faces aren't covered up.

(I say this, being white, because there's not too many black people in the military according to military games apparently.)

Kadoken on
    edited January 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    h8r

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    h8r

h8rs

joshgotro on
  • HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Snow shows up white on thermal scopes during the day.

So ehhh

Hibernus on