As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CREATE ON] LittleBigPlanet 2 - It's out! Let's make levels!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Little Big Planet 2?
littlebigplanet_2.jpg

So there’s this crazy new game called LittleBigPlanet 2, you may have heard of it. It’s the sequel to this awesomely innovative platform game where you can make your own levels. LBP2 has expanded on this and now you can make...well...anything. LBP is a physics, puzzle, platformer. LBP2 is a platform for games. Everything from platform levels, racing games to overhead shooters. Someone even made an FPS.

They've even linked in an awesome website over at www.lbp.me. You can check out what's going on with the community, see what levels are hot and add levels to your 'queue'. When you get to your PS3 they'll be waiting for you to play. Awesome eh? Just don't be put off by all the LittleBig Assassin Creeds, LittleBig Metal Gears and recreations of GreenHill Zone and Super Mario Bros 1-1, there's actually some amazingly original content out there.

Need some people to play with? Well here's a handy list of PSN names for you to add:
(PSN Name, followed by PA Forum Name)
SirGrinchx - Mr_Grinch
Italax - Italax
anoffday - anoffday
h4prlite - Crotchless Gorilla Suit
LutExIV - LutExIV
unintentional - unintentional
NickleDL - Nickle
Carb0nfire - Carbonfire
sojakfa - Shorn Scrotum Man
NailbunnyPD - NailbunnyPD
Captaindino - hatedinamerica
Toma84 - Toma
OrangeTroz - Braintrust
YamiNoSenshi - YamiNoSenshi
Metahybrid - Metahybrid

And how about some awesome levels to play? Have a gander at some PA Forum member creations!:
SirGrinchx - http://lbp.me/v/qqyhsv - Factory of Doom (PA Retro Comp) - LBP1
h4prlite - http://lbp.me/v/n1r5c - Temple of Wonder - LBP1
LutExIV - http://lbp.me/v/pd4dg - Sackboy's Castle Adventure pt 1 - LBP2
bsjezz - http://lbp.me/v/w0xg0d - Flying Monkey Examination Squadron GO! - LBP2
T3hJake - http://lbp.me/v/xhkk-4
Braintrust - http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?48072-Circus-Minimus-Maximus&p=766846
Braintrust - http://lbp.me/v/xt1z3z - Blue Unicorn Demo
Metahybrid
Donkey Show - http://lbp.me/v/xt6jj6 - The Fist of Craft Earth

Handy stuff by Darkravine - http://lbp.me/v/w4zfk6

Want adding to either list? Just send me a pm.

To help add to the above list we're going to have some level building 'competitions'.

Competition Time!

I'm open for suggestions for future challenges and changes to the 'rules'. However to kick things off, how about this as a start:

Rules:-
  • 2 Week dev time. Is this long enough being the game's just come out?
  • For each competition we’ll have a theme, picked by the winner of the previous competition.
  • Themes should generally be loose and not a ‘game-type’. For instance ‘over-head shooter’ isn’t a theme. If we keep to this rule it means hopefully we’ll have a nice varied spread each time and people who have no interest in a certain game-type won’t feel excluded, and people that like to experiment should have lots of scope too.
  • One level per challenge. No 100 level linked epics. If you want to expand on your idea then that’s great, but you’ll be judged on the level you submit.
  • Open development talk should be encouraged, if you’re stuck trying to get something on your level to work then ask!
  • Don’t worry if you don’t think your level is up to much, submit it anyway, that’s the only way you’ll improve!
  • When you've finished your level and you're ready to 'submit' it for play, just post a link in here to your lbp.me page and I'll add it to a section in the op.
  • Voting can be done by anyone reading here, not just those competing. When we're getting to the voting stage I'll also post a link in the general LittleBigPlanet thread to get opinions from there too.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner! Huzzah!

This week’s theme: Fairground/Theme Parks.

I've picked this because:

A) My honeymoon in June was to Florida and I’m still on a theme park high.
B) There should be lots of potential to try out the new tools. Lots of mechanical bits and pieces, opportunities to use sack bots, vehicles, funky camera angles and all sorts.
C) It should offer up lots of variety. How about an overhead ‘Zombieland’ style shooter? A whack-a-mole mini game? A rollercoaster race? Spooky haunted house style platforming? Multiplayer Bumper car game?

And because I've picked the theme without taking a vote I'll offer up a prize IF we get more than five people competing.

Note:
Prize will be of little value, you'll probably hate it and it may or may not be poisonous.

Further note:
If people take absolute exception to the theme and want a change, then I'm happy to do that. If two weeks isn't long enough or is too long then we'll change that too. In fact if anything above doesn't satisfy then just speak up and we can change it round.

Submissions!

http://lbp.me/v/x8g-8c - Circus Minimus Maximus by Braintrust

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the Marvel kit worth it? Lots o' goodies and such?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am so in. I really need the direction and constraints that these competitions put on me, otherwise I would just sit in create mode attach rockets to things.

Count me in.

PSN: h4prlite

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am so in. I really need the direction and constraints that these competitions put on me, otherwise I would just sit in create mode attach rockets to things.

Count me in.

PSN: h4prlite

Same with me. I joined in a couple of the LBP1 competitions (or attempted to) but they were run on the tail end of the game's popularity. I'm hoping getting in close to release date will guarantee us a few people entering :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It is now as they say, "On like Donkey Kong".

OP, I would add one little cravat, the previous weeks winner should pick the next theme... Unless you guys are fond of this democracy thing.

PSN: LutExIV

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably not gonna participate in this just because I've already got ideas flowing over everywhere

I'll probably jump into the contests a little later though!

Speed Racer on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am down for doing this thing that we are doing

PSN: unintentional

unintentional on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

Thanks Mr_Grinch, I was meaning to start a new thread over the weekend, but then I got caught up in building stuff :P

Also,

Probably not gonna participate in this just because I've already got ideas flowing over everywhere

I'll probably jump into the contests a little later though!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be down for a contest, though I've got a few ideas of my own already cooking. I'll give it a shot anyway, since I can't seem to stop playing. PSN - NickleDL

Somehow this game has awakened some creative spark in me that I haven't had in a while. I guess that's sort of the point, but it's still surprising to me. I figured I'd have a couple things I wanted to try out, but generally I've never really delved deep into level creation tools for any game so I wasn't sure.

Also, would it be worth it to pick up lbp1 and go through the story mode to unlock stuff? Are there a lot of materials/objects that aren't available in lbp2?

e: As a side note, I just recently got the PS3, so I don't have too many psn friends. If you want to fudge around in create or co-op though the story to unlock some stuff, send me a request. Alternatively if you get a random friend invite from me, now you know why.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I love the smell of a new thread in the morning.

Thanks Mr_Grinch, I was meaning to start a new thread over the weekend, but then I got caught up in building stuff :P

Well, if you must blow off making a new thread for something....

...I have a feeling I may be blowing off large swaths of my actual life for this, actually.

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
    edited January 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    I'd be down for a contest, though I've got a few ideas of my own already cooking. I'll give it a shot anyway, since I can't seem to stop playing. PSN - NickleDL

Somehow this game has awakened some creative spark in me that I haven't had in a while. I guess that's sort of the point, but it's still surprising to me. I figured I'd have a couple things I wanted to try out, but generally I've never really delved deep into level creation tools for any game so I wasn't sure.

Also, would it be worth it to pick up lbp1 and go through the story mode to unlock stuff? Are there a lot of materials/objects that aren't available in lbp2?

e: As a side note, I just recently got the PS3, so I don't have too many psn friends. If you want to fudge around in create or co-op though the story to unlock some stuff, send me a request. Alternatively if you get a random friend invite from me, now you know why.

I keep meaning to friend you (and a few other people in the LBP threads), but I very much dislike that I can't send the request over the web :? SONYYYYYYYYYYY!

CarbonFire on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think

I think my Mario Sackbot works!

I still gotta add some programming for powerups and some enemy logic like when to kill him and such

but it works!

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    I think

I still gotta add some programming for powerups and some enemy logic like when to kill him and such

but it works!

I want to see it. Show it to me.

And if it does work, you should package it up and release it. You'd get tons of downloads if you promise people improved jumping physics for their levels. Internet famous!

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    I think

but it works!

I want to see it. Show it to me.

And if it does work, you should package it up and release it. You'd get tons of downloads if you promise people improved jumping physics for their levels. Internet famous!

join me and check it out!

my plan right now is to try and also make Mega Man and Sonic sackbots and release all three of them together.

Speed Racer on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh. So this new thread is specific to creating and/or competitions? I’m not complaining, I was just hoping that we’d get a LBP2 thread that had an updated OP with a list of everyone’s PSN names (maybe with links to their lbp.me page so we can see their recent activity and hearted levels/players) and links behind their name pointing to all their created levels. Personally, even though I don’t have the time or creativity to make my own level, I don’t mind reading through everyone’s creation questions in the generic LBP thread, but if that playing/creating combo thread sounds too convoluted to everyone else, then this format would be better. I just wish the OP of the generic LBP2 thread would come back or we get permission to close it and make a new one.

I have a feeling all the conversation about the game will just move over here anyway, so this discussion may be moot.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    edited January 2011
    where do you go in the game to see the levels that you've queued up with lpb.me? I can't find it anywhere.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    where do you go in the game to see the levels that you've queued up with lpb.me? I can't find it anywhere.

I believe it's in the community section. Though for me, when I sign in with levels in my queue, I usually get a popup when I get to my pod that tells me I have levels waiting. So magical!

Also, do I have you on my friends list Speed? I could have sworn I did, but then I remember never seeing you online, so maybe I don't :oops:

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    Huh. So this new thread is specific to creating and/or competitions? I’m not complaining, I was just hoping that we’d get a LBP2 thread that had an updated OP with a list of everyone’s PSN names (maybe with links to their lbp.me page so we can see their recent activity and hearted levels/players)

I'm happy to change it if that's what everyone wants. I just didn't want to crap on the other thread. I'll work on an updated op etc and chuck the competition stuff at the bottom and update it every two weeks.

Mr_Grinch on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm tempted to get this just so that I can make a crazy basketball game like from the commercial.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Huh. So this new thread is specific to creating and/or competitions? I’m not complaining, I was just hoping that we’d get a LBP2 thread that had an updated OP with a list of everyone’s PSN names (maybe with links to their lbp.me page so we can see their recent activity and hearted levels/players)

I'm happy to change it if that's what everyone wants. I just didn't want to crap on the other thread. I'll work on an updated op etc and chuck the competition stuff at the bottom and update it every two weeks.

Thread with an updated OP > Thread where OP hasn't been active for three months.

But yea, I don't think the OP needs to be super detailed or anything, just maybe have PSN IDs and perhaps a list of links to PA levels (both competition and ones you think should be on the list)

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011

Thread with an updated OP > Thread where OP hasn't been active for three months.

But yea, I don't think the OP needs to be super detailed or anything, just maybe have PSN IDs and perhaps a list of links to PA levels (both competition and ones you think should be on the list)

I'll do it tomorrow when I'm at work. God Damn I love this game, I'm feeling the same love I did when I first played the beta. Incidentally I also can't believe that the level I published IN the beta is still there. I love MM.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011

I believe it's in the community section. Though for me, when I sign in with levels in my queue, I usually get a popup when I get to my pod that tells me I have levels waiting. So magical!

Also, do I have you on my friends list Speed? I could have sworn I did, but then I remember never seeing you online, so maybe I don't :oops:

you've joined me in lbp2 more than once! I'm on there as mushpie

Speed Racer on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will try and get something made up. This'll be as good a place to start as any to try and figure out how to actually use the logic and stuff.

I just need to try and find time for it.

The theme is probably going to stump me more than anything. Just because it'll require a certain "feel" that I'm going to struggle to hit.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited January 2011

you've joined me in lbp2 more than once! I'm on there as mushpie

Oh derp derp. :rotate:

CarbonFire on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'll do it tomorrow when I'm at work. God Damn I love this game, I'm feeling the same love I did when I first played the beta. Incidentally I also can't believe that the level I published IN the beta is still there. I love MM.

I'll probably never make a level, but I can always use more LBP friends.

PSN Name: BFicky

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Count me in for this competition. I like the idea of a theme park theme. I already have a few ideas.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I reserve the right to jump in on this competition if I feel the urge, but I'm more than likely going to hold off until next one.

A theme park level does sound fun, though.....hrrrmmm. We'll see.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited January 2011
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I reserve the right to jump in on this competition if I feel the urge, but I'm more than likely going to hold off until next one.

A theme park level does sound fun, though.....hrrrmmm. We'll see.

Yeah, if I wasn't neck-deep in my current level, I'd definitely be interested in this category. Lots of potential, especially for minigames and the like.

CarbonFire on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does the Circus count as part of the theme? That way we can have lions and elephants and that would be super rad.

Also, mutant clowns.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited January 2011
    Italax wrote: »
    Does the Circus count as part of the theme? That way we can have lions and elephants and that would be super rad.

Also, mutant clowns.

I have been to many THeme Parks and Funfairs which have had a circus, so I'd guess so :)

Also someone should make this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1869637971?bctid=704706701001

Someone more skilled than I.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011
    Op update with PSN names and also some levels I picked out by searching lbp.me for PA PSN names. If you don't want your level on there please let me know and I'll take it off. I haven't tried any of them because I'm at work.

Carbonfire, is your PSN name just "Carbonfire"? Sorry if it's in your sig but it's blocked at my work!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011
    reposting this in this thread since we're trying to make a clean break here:
    speaking of movers, does anyone have some concrete info on how they work?

from what I understand, the number you set is a velocity that the mover's set to. the acceleration setting controls how fast you get up to that velocity if you're moving slower than it, and the deceleration setting controls how fast you slow down to that velocity if you're moving faster than it.

the issue is that the units are confusing! I think that the speed is measured in standard blocks per second but I haven't tested it yet. The acceleration is just bizarre though. I believe that 100% acceleration means that you instantaneously change to that velocity, but if that's the case then presenting the numbers as percentages doesn't make any sense. 50% is "half as slow" as 100%, but how can you take twice as long as 0 seconds to reach the assigned velocity? It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Also, question about voice recording. The tutorial on magic mouths says that you can use a headset to record vocals, but can you also just use a microphone? I don't have a mic, but I do have a Rock Band USB microphone. I don't have it here currently or I'd just check myself.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Op update with PSN names and also some levels I picked out by searching lbp.me for PA PSN names. If you don't want your level on there please let me know and I'll take it off. I haven't tried any of them because I'm at work.

Carbonfire, is your PSN name just "Carbonfire"? Sorry if it's in your sig but it's blocked at my work!

Theres a zero in there. Carb0nFire. :^:

Also, got weapons mostly working on my level, along with a pretty slick dash mechanic. Now all I need to do is:

- Finish the Health System
    - Work on the spawn mechanism
    - Work on the enemies
    - Create an intro (possibly with a Blast Radius-like Menu system....maybe)
    - TESTING!

CarbonFire on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My guess is no, but is there any way to get data to come out of a music synthesizer? It would be very convenient for making a self playing piano...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    My guess is no, but is there any way to get data to come out of a music synthesizer? It would be very convenient for making a self playing piano...

Get data out how?

And can't you already make a self-playing piano with the sequencer?

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    for what it's worth I just tested it, and the speed on a mover is in fact measured in standard blocks per second.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    actually... it seems like it's approximately in standard blocks per second. Close enough that you can assume that it is, but it seems like there might be a few milliseconds of delay or something.

Speed Racer on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Get data out how?

Well, the idea is more the piano is just a visual for it, the idea being I could hook up any music synthesizer and get an appropriate piano animation.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I won't be making any levels, but I wouldn't mind being added to the list of players. PSN is in sig.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited January 2011
    Get data out how?

Well, the idea is more the piano is just a visual for it, the idea being I could hook up any music synthesizer and get an appropriate piano animation.

You can do that. Tags and Object Changers and (I think) Movers can be placed right on the sequencer, just like sounds.

CarbonFire on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I get added to the PSN list? My PSN name is sojakfa

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png