As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Forums Secret Santa 2010 - LETTERS TO SANTA + PICTURES OF ARRIVED GIFTS

123457»

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got something really awesome. It was home made, it got to my roots and got me thinking even more about PAX and the kind of people I'm going to meet. WingedIllidan, unless you happen to be underage, you just got yourself a drink(s). Thank you SO much!

First, I think I won the "Biggest Box" contest
    5353592180_9d9d6bfcee_z.jpg

There was enough bubble tape to keep my girlfriend busy for days. I may be in trouble.
    5352989227_70b030f565_z.jpg

I may have also won the "Geekiest Gift Boxing/Wrapping" Award
    5353602616_8d2b8d78fa_z.jpg

There enclosed was a clear message
    5352990665_096c534e31_z.jpg

I chose plan B.
    Of course I read the message :) However it seems my iPhone failed to pick it up. I'll re-take a picture as soon as I'm not about to fall dead asleep from exhaustion.

There was also a cool card in a cool envelope
    5352990629_89d0dba135_z.jpg

With a cool card
    5352990765_5b1df5bf1e_z.jpg

That made Epic Level Music!
    5352990795_7cb8670b6f_z.jpg

Speaking of which, Winged got me closed to PAX by gifting me a signed album from Paul and Storm. Funny thing is that I got a Jocco Album before going to PAX 2010 and bought Zero Day (signed) though I did not see the show. I got to see Paul and Storm (never heard of them before) and we both laughed are asses off. This is way more appreciated than you could have thought I'm sure! It was one of the missing pieces to oen of the best trips I ever had.
    5352990831_dc91f75edb_z.jpg

Last but not least, a comple kit for Hard Drive Shuffleboard, complete with delux (though borked) 500 gig HD.
    5352990715_2cc59f7d77_z.jpg

5352990887_46c0c3a751_z.jpg

5353604114_0a6fcb0b80.jpg

5352990969_bb0cc39ebd_z.jpg

Finally, without spoilers!

5352990997_24507b6d5e.jpg

Thanks a gabillion WingedIllidan!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Figures that the one day I don't check my mail is when my Santa gift arrives. It was worth the wait, though!

Behold the bounty of my Sekrit Santa gift!
    Twilite, checking for hidden bombs or catnip:
    f156a823.jpg

Chock full of awesome!
    04a1899f.jpg

Off with their heads! I love papercraft kits (some day I'll put together the Howl's Moving Castle pattern that I have...yeah, probably not) so this is a wonderful thing:
    cb888894.jpg

Two books! Well, one book and one not-book. Mmm, Manga Claus with ninja elves and a journal! (well, kind of)
    aa85de0d.jpg

An audio book for when my eyes grow weary. Somehow, I didn't have a copy of this book yet!
    bd20817c.jpg

Two wonderful loose-leaf teas and a beautiful cup with a porcelain strainer:
    eac237dd.jpg
    dc740306.jpg

I didn't realize you could make an action figure look pixellated, or vice versa:
    5281bdd8.jpg

Here he is guarding the Black Dragon Pearl tea candle!
    86397874.jpg

Who is this awesome Secret Santa? An inscription inside the not-book reveals all:
    0e8d37b7.jpg

Finally, all together:
    d499d417.jpg

"Hey, get this stuff out of my box! Playing is srs bsns!"
    acfb8a38.jpg

Thank you so much, ZeroHourHero! This is far beyond what I expected and I love everything.
    I'm toasting you with a cup of Three Kings Mao Feng right now. <3

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    I got something really awesome. It was home made, it got to my roots and got me thinking even more about PAX and the kind of people I'm going to meet. WingedIllidan, unless you happen to be underage, you just got yourself a drink(s). Thank you SO much!

First, I think I won the "Biggest Box" contest

IMAGE BLOCK'D

Speaking of which, Winged got me closed to PAX by gifting me a signed album from Paul and Storm. Funny thing is that I got a Jocco Album before going to PAX 2010 and bought Zero Day (signed) though I did not see the show. I got to see Paul and Storm (never heard of them before) and we both laughed are asses off. This is way more appreciated than you could have thought I'm sure! It was one of the missing pieces to oen of the best trips I ever had.

MOR IMAGE BLOCKS

Thanks a gabillion WingedIllidan!

No prob bro, glad you liked it, but I want the bubblewrap back... I accidently filled the remaining volume of the box with a cushioney compound. I also tried to address the box to The Year 3000 or the What If Machine, but the post office just laughed at me.. in creepy unison. D:

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cabsy wrote: »
    OK so time for a moral to this story, which is don't buy yourself shit near the holidays. Don't do it. Because then what happens is you talk A LOT about how you want something and amazon pretends you didn't get it and then you buy it for yourself and then you get your secret santa present and then, well...

aww, that sucks. usps lost one of your presents and then you already have one of the others. i feel like i...err, santa failed at their job. are you heading to pax east? if usps doesnt fix my forward address problem within the next week or two, im going to pick up another Yumbots and i can just give it to you in person if would like.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're welcome Mystral.

Note:

The Mate has the same caffeine as coffee. It hits a bit harder though I would advise against drinking it before bed. It does however have more vitamins.

P.S. I now notice I omitted some words on my inscription, due to lack of sleep when I wrote it. Namely "As it for me" should have been "As it did for me"

ZeroHourHero on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cabsy wrote: »
    OK so time for a moral to this story, which is don't buy yourself shit near the holidays. Don't do it. Because then what happens is you talk A LOT about how you want something and amazon pretends you didn't get it and then you buy it for yourself and then you get your secret santa present and then, well...

aww, that sucks. usps lost one of your presents and then you already have one of the others. i feel like i...err, santa failed at their job. are you heading to pax east? if usps doesnt fix my forward address problem within the next week or two, im going to pick up another Yumbots and i can just give it to you in person if would like.

Do not feel that way! If one Perry is awesome, two Perrys is awesomer. I am hoping to be at East, I have everything purchased except the plane ticket. Don't feel like you have to buy more yumbots just because the PO is stupid, though, you really did quite enough!

cabsy on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also the Where's Waldo book is a dead giveaway that it's him.

Yes, that did make me instantly think of him. Dunno why I then didn't connect that he was my Santa.

Thanks Qs!!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    Figures that the one day I don't check my mail is when my Santa gift arrives. It was worth the wait, though!

f156a823.jpg

Chock full of awesome!
    04a1899f.jpg

Off with their heads! I love papercraft kits (some day I'll put together the Howl's Moving Castle pattern that I have...yeah, probably not) so this is a wonderful thing:
    cb888894.jpg

Two books! Well, one book and one not-book. Mmm, Manga Claus with ninja elves and a journal! (well, kind of)
    aa85de0d.jpg

An audio book for when my eyes grow weary. Somehow, I didn't have a copy of this book yet!
    bd20817c.jpg

eac237dd.jpg
    dc740306.jpg

I didn't realize you could make an action figure look pixellated, or vice versa:
    5281bdd8.jpg

86397874.jpg

Who is this awesome Secret Santa? An inscription inside the not-book reveals all:
    0e8d37b7.jpg

Finally, all together:
    d499d417.jpg

acfb8a38.jpg

Thank you so much, ZeroHourHero! This is far beyond what I expected and I love everything.

Dude! Spreadin' the Tea[vana] love. Do you happen to work there, ZeroHourHero?

Twinkie on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah! My Santa package has arrived, but only a note was left behind by USPS! Hopefully my wife will actually answer the door the next time they come... and if not, I'll swing by on Saturday to pick it up!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Twinkie wrote: »
    Mystral721 wrote: »

f156a823.jpg

Chock full of awesome!
    04a1899f.jpg

cb888894.jpg

aa85de0d.jpg

bd20817c.jpg

eac237dd.jpg
    dc740306.jpg

5281bdd8.jpg

86397874.jpg

0e8d37b7.jpg

Finally, all together:
    d499d417.jpg

acfb8a38.jpg

Dude! Spreadin' the Tea[vana] love. Do you happen to work there, ZeroHourHero?

I do. In fact as I'm writing this Im heading out the door to get to work.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also the Where's Waldo book is a dead giveaway that it's him.

Yes, that did make me instantly think of him. Dunno why I then didn't connect that he was my Santa.

Thanks Qs!!

I'm just glad you mentioned the PA Series. I grabbed a second one when they pre-ordered them, on the good chance that the secret santa would want one. Which my wife clearly pointed out the problem of what to do with a second dvd if you didn't ask for it... BUT I WAS RIGHT!!!

And don't worry, it just was those 3 things. (that sounded better in my head)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ArtemisArtemis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay my gift has finally arrived!!!
    A Letter from Santa?!?
    2aaep9y.jpg
    Translation:
    Dear Artemis,
    Allow me to apologize for my horrible handwriting.
    Anyways, you've been very good this year and when I first read your letter to me I knew I had to get you the Gryphon Hatchling. I actually made it for you on 11/18 but thought I should give it to you closer to Christmas. I do hope you weren't anxious and already bought yourself one!
    Aside from the Grypho, I threw in some old 360 games I don't play any more and don't want to give to Gamestop to be ripped off. I ask that you do the same when you're done with them.

Merry Christmas!
    -Rdr

LOOT has arrived! Right click to open!
    IMG_20110114_110826.jpg

Whats this isnside???
    IMG_20110114_110933.jpg

Its a World of Warcraft Gryphon Hatchling, how did you know it was just what I wanted santa???
    IMG_20110114_111044.jpg

Close up!
    IMG_20110114_111100.jpg

Whats this? It comes with an in-game pet too?!!!
    IMG_20110114_111121.jpg

Awesome!!!
    PaxGryphan.jpg

Father and son!!!
    PaxGryphan2.jpg

Thanks again Santa, awesome gift!!!

Artemis on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Artemis wrote: »
    A Letter from Santa?!?
    2aaep9y.jpg
    Translation:
    Dear Artemis,
    Anyways, you've been very good this year and when I first read your letter to me I knew I had to get you the Gryphon Hatchling. I actually made it for you on 11/18 but thought I should give it to you closer to Christmas. I do hope you weren't anxious and already bought yourself one!
    Aside from the Grypho, I threw in some old 360 games I don't play any more and don't want to give to Gamestop to be ripped off. I ask that you do the same when you're done with them.

Merry Christmas!
    -Rdr

IMG_20110114_110826.jpg

Whats this isnside???
    IMG_20110114_110933.jpg

Its a World of Warcraft Gryphon Hatchling, how did you know it was just what I wanted santa???
    IMG_20110114_111044.jpg

Close up!
    IMG_20110114_111100.jpg

IMG_20110114_111121.jpg

Awesome!!!
    PaxGryphan.jpg

Father and son!!!
    PaxGryphan2.jpg

So glad you finally got it! Still sucks that you didn't get it the first time around with the extra loot though.

That Gryphon is insanely cute and its so soft! My roommate's fiance didn't want me to ship it out haha

Rdr on
  • ArtemisArtemis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    A Letter from Santa?!?
    2aaep9y.jpg
    Translation:
    Dear Artemis,

Merry Christmas!
    -Rdr

IMG_20110114_110826.jpg

Whats this isnside???
    IMG_20110114_110933.jpg

IMG_20110114_111044.jpg

Close up!
    IMG_20110114_111100.jpg

IMG_20110114_111121.jpg

Awesome!!!
    PaxGryphan.jpg

Father and son!!!
    PaxGryphan2.jpg

So glad you finally got it! Still sucks that you didn't get it the first time around with the extra loot though.

That Gryphon is insanely cute and its so soft! My roommate's fiance didn't want me to ship it out haha

Haha, yeah its super soft! Thanks again! This was an awesome Christmas!!!

Artemis on
    edited January 2011
    A Letter from Santa?!?
    2aaep9y.jpg
    Translation:
    Dear Artemis,

Merry Christmas!
    -Rdr

IMG_20110114_110826.jpg

Whats this isnside???
    IMG_20110114_110933.jpg

IMG_20110114_111044.jpg

Close up!
    IMG_20110114_111100.jpg

IMG_20110114_111121.jpg

Awesome!!!
    PaxGryphan.jpg

Father and son!!!
    PaxGryphan2.jpg

That's strange, we got the same gift :o....
    Santa4.JPG

Except I don't know who my santa was :(

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A Letter from Santa?!?
    2aaep9y.jpg
    Translation:
    Dear Artemis,

Merry Christmas!
    -Rdr

IMG_20110114_110826.jpg

Whats this isnside???
    IMG_20110114_110933.jpg

IMG_20110114_111044.jpg

Close up!
    IMG_20110114_111100.jpg

IMG_20110114_111121.jpg

Awesome!!!
    PaxGryphan.jpg

Father and son!!!
    PaxGryphan2.jpg

That's strange, we got the same gift :o....
    Santa4.JPG

Except I don't know who my santa was :(

Did you by any chance also get some 360 games in the box? lol

Rdr on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD....

'cause I killed them with mah army
    166340_10150133529091449_650986448_7565106_2533339_n.jpg

That book is freaking hilarious, btw

Thanks, Snifit!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    proXimity wrote: »
    ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD....

'cause I killed them with mah army
    166340_10150133529091449_650986448_7565106_2533339_n.jpg

That book is freaking hilarious, btw

Thanks, Snifit!

Glad you like it, Prox!
    :D

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So what's the final verdict? Did everyone get their presents?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we are still waiting on two

Edit: both are currently in transit though. :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • clickpictonyclickpictony Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After Ky13 and my absolutely wonderful, week-long winter getaway to San Francisco earlier this December, we were left crying in each others arms over my... debilitating condition. Afterward though Santa found some great literature to help me to cope with this terrible affliction. Santa really is wonderful, looking after me and my soul-mate Kyle.

MyPenis.jpg

Hugs and kisses Little Bear.

clickpictony on
  • ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After Ky13 and my absolutely wonderful, week-long winter getaway to San Francisco earlier this December, we were left crying in each others arms over my... debilitating condition. Afterward though Santa found some great literature to help me to cope with this terrible affliction. Santa really is wonderful, looking after me and my soul-mate Kyle.

MyPenis.jpg

Hugs and kisses Little Bear.

No problem Papa Bear. =)

ky13 on
    Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
    edited January 2011
    Wowowowowowow!!!!

I was finally able to get to the Post Office today to pick up my Secret Santa present that arrived last week! It's AMAZING!

I'll be uploading pictures and such tonight after work! I was totally blown away! Thank you so much Santa!!!

VThornheart on
    edited January 2011
    Here we go!

I got a package, but my wife didn't come to the door to sign for it so I had to get to the post office to pick it up... which sadly meant I couldn't get it until I was home while they were open. But here we go!
    2011-01-19125122.jpg

Inside of the box, a shiny red wrapping...
    2011-01-19125317.jpg

Inside of the wrapping, a big present!
    2011-01-19125355.jpg

Inside of the present... more presents!
    2011-01-19125418.jpg

And even MORE presents! ... these ones have a familiar weight to them, I feel like I've held objects like this before...
    2011-01-19125451.jpg

Whoa! SNES games! Totally awesome RPGs! And Final Fantasy III too!!!! YES! I'll be playing these for sure!
    2011-01-19125606.jpg
    2011-01-19125616.jpg
    2011-01-19125626.jpg
    2011-01-19125634.jpg

What's this? It's an envelope that has character buttons in it from FF VI! So awesome!!
    2011-01-19125722.jpg

And lastly... wow! I've never seen anything like this!
    2011-01-19125845.jpg
    2011-01-19125908.jpg
    2011-01-19134710.jpg

Where'd you get that? It looks like one is a walkthrough, the other... looks like possibly an art book for the game? They're totally awesome and unique, I love them!

Thank you so much peetsnack! You rock so many socks! Wow! =)=)=)

VThornheart on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Simple words can not possibly describe how jealous I am right now.

Here we go!

I got a package, but my wife didn't come to the door to sign for it so I had to get to the post office to pick it up... which sadly meant I couldn't get it until I was home while they were open. But here we go!
    2011-01-19125122.jpg

Inside of the box, a shiny red wrapping...
    2011-01-19125317.jpg

Inside of the wrapping, a big present!
    2011-01-19125355.jpg

Inside of the present... more presents!
    2011-01-19125418.jpg

And even MORE presents! ... these ones have a familiar weight to them, I feel like I've held objects like this before...
    2011-01-19125451.jpg

Whoa! SNES games! Totally awesome RPGs! And Final Fantasy III too!!!! YES! I'll be playing these for sure!
    2011-01-19125606.jpg
    2011-01-19125616.jpg
    2011-01-19125626.jpg
    2011-01-19125634.jpg

What's this? It's an envelope that has character buttons in it from FF VI! So awesome!!
    2011-01-19125722.jpg

And lastly... wow! I've never seen anything like this!
    2011-01-19125845.jpg
    2011-01-19125908.jpg
    2011-01-19134710.jpg

Where'd you get that? It looks like one is a walkthrough, the other... looks like possibly an art book for the game? They're totally awesome and unique, I love them!

Thank you so much peetsnack! You rock so many socks! Wow! =)=)=)

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
    edited January 2011
    Aye <3 It was awesome! In fact, I'm looking forward to snuggling up to some Secret of Mana when I get home. I don't think I ever actually beat it as a kid.

VThornheart on
    edited January 2011
    Was that everyone? Is this wrapped up with 100% happy faces? :3

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    waiting on one more, having some hiccups with UPS.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Was that everyone? Is this wrapped up with 100% happy faces? :3

I will purposefully frown to flout your optimism!

:[

Twinkie on
    edited January 2011
    Guys, I'm sorry that this may end the thread on a sour note, but I think it's my duty to give a fair warning should we do this next year.

If you are from the US and you plan to ship something to Canada, do not use FedEx.

I did not mention how it was a killjoy to do business with them, but they were quite inflexible about their delivery methods. They have a standard 3 strikes attempt method of delivering your package, at which point they will send it back to the sender. Unfortunately they will not let you change the delivery address for convenience without sending a 10$ charge to the sender. The only solution I had was to do a good road trip to their loan depot center near the airport to pick up my package. That was a little while ago now. For those who ask why I did not have it shipped to my work address, we were on the verge of moving our offices and it would not have been possible to predict where and when any package should be delivered.

Today I got a 60$ bill through the mail for obscure importing customs issues. I did not get a warning when I picked up a box and this is the first time I'm hearing about it. I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning but I don't expect I'll manage to get out of ignoring a bill for customs.

I can afford it so it's not a major issue. I do not hold my Santee responsible in any way what so ever. I'm not asking for anyone to foot the bill the billet either. Just saying, watch yourselves when you use FedEx.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    K, in response to the desire of one of our own to not end on a bad note, I present to you the following:

Wrapping Photos!
    2011-01-11_18-04-56_453.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-19-59_212.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-23-35_554.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-30-49_191.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-35-28_249.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-37-53_689.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-45-52_474.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-55-25_148.jpg
    2011-01-11_18-58-01_845.jpg
    2011-01-11_19-00-05_251.jpg
    2011-01-11_19-00-31_407.jpg
    2011-01-11_19-00-43_87.jpg
    2011-01-11_19-05-35_493.jpg
    2011-01-11_19-08-22_555.jpg
    People usually post photos of themselves unwrapping. This the opposite of that. It is ironic because the photos posted are not what would normally be posted. The humor is in the irony. The metahumor is me explaining why the humor is humorous.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a rather large amount of familiarity when it comes to cross border shipping. Next year I will throw a guide together to help our neighbours to the south.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited January 2011
    After calling customer services I found out a few interesting things. Again, this thread is (almost) dead and Decius says he'll look into mentioning a few things in the future, but I thought it would be worth mentioning it none the less.

1- For reasons such as Income Taxes, Duty Taxes and so on, no one can send money or values worth $Texas via the mail and just say it's a gift. Any package sent as a gift has actually a maximum allowed value before customs kick in. I don't remember the exact value that limit was but I think it was around 50$, which is about what you can spend in 24 hours when going over the border. Coincidence? I think not. Any packages sent otherwise are automatically subject to some kind of customs tax.

2- Shipping companies will sometimes take care of the customs charges for you when the package crosses the border. Practical really, except for the extra fee they may impose on you. However it is in your right to refuse this fee, at which point you have to make demands/explain that you will be taking care of such fees yourself at a customs office which can be (usually) found in any big city. In my case the total amount to pay has dropped to a very small fee.

And just in case he did not read it the last time, I never considered my Santee to be responsible for anything. In fact, he was too generous :) I'm still listening to Paul and Storm CD as I'm getting ready for PAX East.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png