As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Brian Cox. Everything is improved by Brian Cox.

This. And he needs to pistol-whip the next guy who says shenanigans.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We had Robocop also.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Brian Cox. Everything is improved by Cox.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fringe is awesome fun. It might be totally silly, but generally since season 2 it has improved leaps and bounds. That and I generally get the feeling the cast enjoys themselves.

Stop complaining about the whacky science. There's nothing else good on tv at the moment.

WMain00 on
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Disco11 wrote: »
    We had Robocop also.

That episode is one of, if not my favorite episode. I really need to buy season 2 and watch it again.

Shaggy on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking forward to this like whoa.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I am glad the V thread is getting bumped more than this. I am glad we have our priorities in the right place D&D.

Lady Eri on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Well I am glad the V thread is getting bumped more than this. I am glad we have our priorities in the right place D&D.

V is in new episodes right now.

Fringe is not.

Plus, half the people bumping V are bitching about the show.

mcdermott on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    last week Fringe Season 2 was $19.99 at Best Buy and amazon.

It was sold out at 3 different Best Buys I tried on Thursday. I got it from amazon, but the package was damaged so I asked for an exchange.

It's currently not shipping for 2 weeks because they're out.

I'm frustrated, but pretty happy for Fringe.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited January 2011
    Tomorrow people! I've already called in sick for work.

I told them I had raging shingles.

Lady Eri on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Are you one of the producers or something? You seem to take personal offence at every little slight to this program, imagined or not. People tend to talk more about series which are currently putting out new episodes.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Are you one of the producers or something? You seem to take personal offence at every little slight to this program, imagined or not. People tend to talk more about series which are currently putting out new episodes.

No, I have just lost so much. I have lost Better off Ted, I have lost Kyle XY, I have lost Kings, I have lost so very very much. I don't want to lose Fringe.

Lady Eri on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sadly, it's a dead series walking. Somebody in SE++ pointed out that the last Friday episode is called "Firefly". I hope this is an intentional quip.

That said, there's not much in the way of TV these days. Nothing seems to have filled the slots left by Lost or BSG.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Im not so sure about this series being dead. Moving it to friday really shouldnt hurt its ratings too bad since folks who watch it will likely follow it. Plus it moved during a big break, so its not like it just skipped around one week. If people are looking to see "when is fringe coming back!" they will know its friday.

If it can get the ratings it was pulling before, on a friday. It will live forever.

That being said, this show spoiled us with alternate dimension meta plot and I cant sit through monster of the week episodes anymore. If it doesnt involve sharply dressed bald men or alternate dimensions, I do not care.

Though the episode with the dead girl puppet thing was messed up in ways I cant unsee.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is virtually zero chance that it gets the same ratings on Friday as it did on Thursday. The question is how much will it drop?

Given all the new shows Fox is launching next fall I wouldn't be surprised to see Fringe canceled no matter how it performs.

dead souls on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I dunno, Fringe seems like a show watched disproportionately by DVR-savvy people who never watch anything live. If that's the case, the viewership wouldn't drop much at all.

Of course, if they ignore DVR in their calculations, then any loss of audience will look huge because it's ignoring a giant chunk of the most loyal viewers.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is true at least for me. I never watch anything live. Give me Tivo or give me death! ;-)

I just hope this show keeps going as its one of the best shows on TV and one of the few good sci fi shows left.

powersurge on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's just no way i'm going to be at home tonight. Fringe is one of my last shows too but I just have things to do.

It's so damn unfortunate.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    There are Fringe ads all over the XBL Dashboard. Fuck yes.

and Im still in awe of how many of the fans out there are just going on and on about how fucked it is. Kind of actually makes me side with the FOX execs that go "Well, what the hell do you want?"

They made an ad poking FUN at the fact you think Friday nights will kill it and said they want it to ANCHOR Friday nights.
    The show has been compared to the X-Files, and the X-Files was the last true success FOX had on Fridays, and theyve said that they want to duplicate that.
    They are pouring a TON of money into advertising that its on Fridays. Its on the XBL Dash, there's been a ton of promos on all the time.
    The DVDs were sold out everywhere, they get a ton of DVR views.
    JJ Abrams has said that FOX is very sincere about them keeping it alive.

I mean - I totally get that Friday's move doesn't look great, but compared to shows that either just never get an ending at all, get suddenly dropped with episodes that just never get aired, and various shows that have been fucked over at the last second - Fringe's move to friday could not be more heavily promoted and explained. SOMETHING needs to air on Friday, so they pick the cult following show with huge DVR numbers because who gives a shit when it really airs?\

It's just saddening to see it just referred to as "totally cancelled" and "almost dead" when that's blatantly not the case, and people who pop in to see if Fringe is worth checking out see its own FANS going out of their way to talk about its demise and may decide not to check it out.

I have it on decent authority that FOX is very, very close to giving it a season 4 and taking it from there. It really just needs to barely meet what it had on Thursdays. It needs to go out of its way to fail spectacularly to not get a season 4.

EDIT: HAHAHAHA the ad on the XBox Dashboard is the FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH SLOT ad. Thats what FOX is PAYING MICROSOFT to put on the dashboard. The REALLY CLEVER AD that says WE KNOW WHAT THIS LOOKS LIKE AND WE WANT YOU TO KNOW WE WANT THIS TO WORK. At the end they add a slate that pushes full episodes to catch up at Fox.com and the DVDs.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited January 2011
    It doesn't matter what it looks like point is people are doing shit at friday night at 9 o'clock

like i am waiting for a call and then i am going out in the next few minutes. i'm not going to change my plans around to watch fringe because hey saturday morning I don't have anything to do.

If it's thursday night i'm shutting down around 9 for friday morning. friday night i'm going out around 9.

that is why it is a death slot.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Like I am actually pleasantly surprised that I just so happened to have this bit of unplanned downtime. Because hey i'm watching Fringe!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    This episode is so good.

mxmarks on
    edited January 2011
    1.9, 12% up over the last episode, higher than thursday average. THANK YOU JEBUS

Lady Eri on
    edited January 2011
    best news ever.

mxmarks on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    This thread is the New Hotness.

The other one is Old and Busted.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The grocery store I go to has had apple fritters on display as you walk in for practically forever.

Should I buy them? I've never actually had them before. :|

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're part of the Pattern/Interdemensional war, don't fall for it...but while you're out track down everyone with a magic bullshit numbers box and tell them to repeat their viewing habits of last Friday. Thanks.

Xeddicus on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Funny story about the Nielsen ratings (sort of)
    I got home from break and my dad said "oh, by the way, those people who do those TV things called."
    I puzzled over this and finally said "Oh, the Nielsen ratings?"
    Dad: "Yeah, they want someone to do some kind of survey for them? I told them to call back when you were home."
    Me: "Okay." [mentally] "OH MY GOD I'M GONNA GET A NIELSEN BOX"

The next day, sure enough, the phone rings.
    Woman: "Hello, I'm from the Nielsen ratings. Do you have time to talk?"
    Me: "Yes!"
    Woman: "Are you a male?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Woman: "How old are you?"
    Me: "20"
    Woman: "Would you describe yourself as Latino or Hispanic?"
    Me: "No"
    Woman: "Thank you!" *click*

D:

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This thread is the New Hotness.

The other one is Old and Busted.

How dare you, sir!

nah, just joking. I knew it was coming. Changing the thread titles to fun food related gems was the best part. After that broke I just quietly waited for my end. Hopefully, these threads pick up steam so we can cap within a few months.

One thing that made me sad in this episode was Walter cracking a little bit more due his crossing overing so long ago. It's one thing to come to grips that many lives were messed up due to your actions, but it must be crushing to find out your actions crippled one of your heros.

tallgeeze on
    edited January 2011
    I got home from break and my dad said "oh, by the way, those people who do those TV things called."
    Dad: "Yeah, they want someone to do some kind of survey for them? I told them to call back when you were home."

D:

That figures. Another reason to hate the Nielsen company, those racist bastards!

And Walter shouldn't crack too much (if he hasn't cracked over everything already). Once you get to a certain point in unintended consequences it's more Shit Happens than What Did I Do?!.

Xeddicus on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

D:

ALWAYS SAY YES!

He didn't ask you if you ARE latino or hispanic, just if you describe yourself as Latino or Hispanic.

You couldn't just take one for fringe?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • DeForceDeForce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Posted this in the community thread, but I got a 1 week Nielson survey for the week of feb 14. Fringe will be on all 3 of my tv's and the repeat they show on saturday as well.

I'm gonna fringe SO HARD.

DeForce on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You represent us all quite literally.

Doesn't 1 nielson person represent 1,000 people or something?

tallgeeze on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1.9, 12% up over the last episode, higher than thursday average. THANK YOU JEBUS

It's great, but Fringe will be up against Supernatural for the first time this week.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited January 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    You represent us all quite literally.

Doesn't 1 nielson person represent 1,000 people or something?

It's something like one household represents 4,850 households or so. So per person is even more wacked.

Xeddicus on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

D:

You were probably just going to get a pamphlet that you fill out for a week. That's what I got when they called me a few months ago.

I don't think they liked my booklet very much. I don't watch anything live and very little the same week (let alone the same day) that it airs.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    I would lie so hard for a nielsen box.

Lady Eri on
    edited January 2011
    I'd...start watching live TV again after years of not turning it on for anything but consoles.

Xeddicus on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You guys think that, but I've been a Nielsen house and it's incredibly tedious, sucks all the joy out of your television viewing, they bother you constantly at your house, and then your favorite show gets canceled anyway.

Would never do again.

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011
    Really, you would have thought that digital TV would have brought around some kind of passive statistics system. Although I would imagine there would be an outcry from the ignorant and student about invasion of privacy.

Mojo_Jojo on