As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going to New York!

BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be in New York City from February 17th to the 22nd (roughly, don't know when I'm leaving yet), and I would like some suggestions on where to go. I'm planning on going to Nintendo World, seeing the 7 floor Toys R Us, maybe going up to the observation deck at the Empire State building, and maybe going to the Jimmy Fallon show (why not Daily Show or Colbert? Not sure.). What other things are cool/interesting?

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
Bartholamue on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hit the museums. The American Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Museum of Modern Art are all excellent recommendations.

Get a dirty water hot dog and a bag of chestnuts from a street vendor.

Go see a show. The TKTS booth at Times Square is always a good way to get tickets on the fly.

See some of the other notable stores. FAO Schwartz, Saks Fifth Avenue, and the flagship Macy's at Herald Square are worth window shopping at.

Have a meal at one of the many wonderful dining establishments across the city.

Pay your respects at Ground Zero.

Go to the real Little Italy - Arthur Ave. in the Bronx.

Head out to Flushing, Queens and see the landmarks of the World's Fair.

Take a carriage ride around Central Park, complete with warm blankets.

Go to Grand Central Terminal, and soak up the history. See if you can spot the tar patch on the ceiling!

Go to Ellis Island and learn about the immigrants who made the US what it is today.

I'm sure other people can suggest other things.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you like to drink, go to McSorley's on 7th St. between 2nd and 3rd. Oldest bar in the city. They serve two kinds of beer- light and dark. Order one of each, they're small. Keep drinking, or they will kick you out. By all accounts the place is pretty much exactly the same as it was 100+ years ago. You can see a bust of Jack Kennedy, old newspaper clipping from the Civil War, and wish bones caked in decades of dust left by soldiers going off to fight in WWI. Quite an experience. Highly recommended for the drinking enthusiast.

Jinn on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From someone who visited NYC in May - avoid Penn Station. It is the tenth circle of hell.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually kind of like Penn station. What's wrong with it?

CygnusZ on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Posted from http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18099519#post18099519

NYC:
    TMLMTBGB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMLMTBGB

Freaking. Brilliant.

And if you're not used to big city public transportation, Penn Station will seem like hell. Otherwise its perfectly normal.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    You can easily spend a whole day in central park. It's pretty spectacular.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's New York. Do everything.

Crimson King on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Visit the Ghostbusters Firehouse in Tribeca
    Go see the Daily Show, getting tickets is not difficult if you check the website frequently
    the MOMA and the MET are amazing.
    China Town

Take the Subway everywhere. It's awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Something I want to do and haven't gotten around to yet is to go check out the City Hall subway stop.

It was originally intended as the showpiece of the subway system, but is now closed to the public.

Apparently you can see it if you ride the 6 line to the end.

oldsak on
  • NPNP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't bother going to the top of the Empire State building, you're gonna waste a whole day waiting in line. Go to the top of the Rockefeller center instead, it's a lot better plus your pictures of the skyline will have the Empire State Building in them.

Oh yeah, and definitely go to Flushing. Go to Chinatown to wander around and perhaps buy some cheap counterfeit crap, but when it comes time to eat, if you want good authentic Chinese food go to Flushing, you won't regret it.

NP on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    go to the rockafeller/ Empire estate building on off-hours. I simply walked up to the elevator, no line. (monday 4 in the afternoon).

Brooklyn is amazing to see. I went there with one of the big apple greeters and it was one of the highlights of an amazing trip (check out the big apple greeter program btw, it's free!)
    While you're going there, cross Brooklyn bridge.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good luck on your trip, my wife and I went last summer and had a blast! Seriously, if I was young and single I would have started job hunting, that's how much I enjoyed NYC.

If you're planning on doing all of the touristy stuff, look at getting a CityPass. It's a good deal if you're planning to hit the major museums, statue of liberty, ESB; if you're not planning to use it all though it's probably going to be cheaper to get individual tickets to the different places.

It's probably too late, but you might want to see if you can get tickets to climb to the crown on the Statue of Liberty. They just re-opened it about a year and a half ago, and it's a great (if exhausting) experience. You're not going at the height of tourist season like we were, so they might still have some tickets available.

Learn the subway system. It's not hard, and a week long subway pass is probably the cheapest way to get around town. It's definately cheaper than taking cabs everywhere.

mjn6172 on
    LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mjn6172 wrote: »
    It's probably too late, but you might want to see if you can get tickets to climb to the crown on the Statue of Liberty. They just re-opened it about a year and a half ago, and it's a great (if exhausting) experience. You're not going at the height of tourist season like we were, so they might still have some tickets available

Yep, you're right. It was too late to take the ferry there, but my friend is going there, so maybe I can get her to take pictures.
    NP wrote: »
    Don't bother going to the top of the Empire State building, you're gonna waste a whole day waiting in line. Go to the top of the Rockefeller center instead, it's a lot better plus your pictures of the skyline will have the Empire State Building in them.

Good advice, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know I was going to Central Park, but I didn't know about the Museum of Natural History. That place seems pretty cool. I'll see if my friend wants to go with me.

Bartholamue on
  • NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've lived within 1/2 hour of NYC my whole life and I've never really enjoyed the crowds in the city's hot spots. First time going, you should definitely go to all the tourist areas, but if you feel like going somewhere more low key, I'd suggest heading over to Brooklyn. If you're of age, there are some pretty good bars there. My personal new fav being the Barcade. It's a bar AND an arcade (who'da thought, right :P). There you'll find a dozen or so authentic 80's arcade machines ranging from Joust to Guantlet, all for only a quarter. After we're done at Barcade, my friends and I will usually walk over to The Alligator Lounge, where they give you a free pizza for every drink you order.

If the bar scene isn't your thing, there are still plenty of small shops and resteraunts to go to in Brooklyn. And there's almost always a concert playing somewhere, whether it be midi music or a famous rock group.

After all is said and done, visit as many of the tourist places as others have said, they're still fun to go to. And Chinatown is still one of my favorite places to go, despite it being one of the most crowded. There's just so much wacky stuff to be seen.

Nanaki on
    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    When I was visiting there was not a single human in line for the Empire State Building. From exterior to top in five minutes. It might be worth at least checking the place if you're interested, because it was pretty spectacular.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    When I was visiting there was not a single human in line for the Empire State Building. From exterior to top in five minutes. It might be worth at least checking the place if you're interested, because it was pretty spectacular.
    Yeah, going in the non-tourist months, there's never a line of more than maybe 20 minutes. It always bugs me when people say don't go to the top of the Empire State Building, it's like saying don't go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, If I'm going to the Empire State building, it will most likely be Friday morning/early afternoon. I don't think there will be that many people waiting in line if it's in February.

Bartholamue on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right by the Empire State building: if you like comics, hit up Jim Hanley's Universe, right on 33rd Street-- I hesitate to say they have everything, but damn near. And they have some wicked sweet deals and sales.

It is my favorite comics shop in New York City and has the best staff. (and I've been to them all)

Other stuff in that neighborhood is a little touristy, but JHU is fantastic.

tapeslinger on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mudville 9 Saloon or The Patriot for drinking. I love the Tribeca area for hanging out and eats.

mrt144 on
    edited January 2011
    There's a place in Tribeca called Bubby's that has fantastic breakfast and delicious pie. Also Mexican hot chocolate, which is delicious. It's also like, a block from the Ghostbuster's Fire House.

Just saying.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another good place to grab a beer:
    Ginger Man

60+ beers on tap, over 100 in the bottle. Comfy leather chairs, knowledgeable waitstaff, great bar.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited January 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Another good place to grab a beer:
    Ginger Man
    Looks like a really cool place. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'll keep it in mind.

Jim Hanley's Universe; Yes, I'll go there. I should've said that I love shopping.

Bartholamue on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Mudville 9 Saloon or The Patriot for drinking. I love the Tribeca area for hanging out and eats.

man, if you're touristing, are you really gonna recommend the patriot

really

i've been to both those places, they are fun, but they are not places i'd want to go if i were visiting a city

much rather would go to places in les/village/east village/williamsburg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

man, if you're touristing, are you really gonna recommend the patriot

really

i've been to both those places, they are fun, but they are not places i'd want to go if i were visiting a city

much rather would go to places in les/village/east village/williamsburg

Yes. I love slumming it and given the high prices of booze in NYC the Patriot is a bargain. Should I have recommended Fiddlesticks instead? ;-) I mean, when I go to a city I like finding a place to call my own and settling in at night. I don't particularly enjoy going to touristy bars.

And fuck Williamsburg unless it's Brooklyn Brewery on a Friday night. I live in basically a low rent version of Williamsburg called Capitol Hill in Seattle. I need a vacation from those fucks.

mrt144 on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The empire-state building is horrible in the winter.

Dress for the arctic. Expect the wind to dry the tears you shed from the cold into ice.

Definitely make your way to Grand Central, walk from there to near TImes Square. Close enough for you to get the impact without having to deal with the people. You'll pass the Library, which is awesome, and you'll be able to get to anywhere else in the city relatively quick.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Really?

Man, New Yorkers are so jaded. I loved Times Square. It was amazing. I even went into the Toys R Us there. On a Saturday. The week before Christmas. And it was awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We aren't jaded, we just prefer to avoid large concentrations of you people.

Deebaser on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't like people from Nebraska stepping on my kicks son.
    lol, nah. Being in a crowd of people stopping to take pictures every two seconds sucks, 'specially when you have things to do. Times Square is just lights and theaters. I'm not saying not to go there, but there are better city-sights to see. For example if I recognize a spot from a movie, I'll go back and have a picture "in scene".

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I mean, I get it... but seriously, for a TOURIST to visit New York and not go see the things that make New York worth visiting (as opposed to the things that make New York worth living in) is just crazy to me.

Also, have I mentioned the Ghostbuster's Fire House? Because seriously... that was cool.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh I agree, tourists should have fun doing touristy things.
    And thanks for the heads up on the Ghostbusters firehouse. According to google maps it's less than 2000 feet from me. I should probably check that out. :)

I always thought it was way uptown or in the bronx. Tribeca really isn't all that much like a demilitarized zone.

Deebaser on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lets go deesbaser

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2011
    (OT)
    Hows about next week during lunch/happy hour?

I got class at 6 today and taking Raz shopping at C21 tomorrow.
    (/OT)

Deebaser on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Walk around midtown and stop and eat in the first semi-shady place you see. It will taste awesome.
    Goto the apple store just so you can look at the glass cube.
    Correction:

Goto H&M and buy like 30 hoodies you can wear at once. Shits cold son. Shits cold.

projectmayhem on
    edited January 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    Dress for the arctic. Expect the wind to dry the tears you shed from the cold into ice. .

I'm from Edmonton. Our winters go down to -30C, and that doesn't take into account our wind. I think I'll be okay :)

I think I have a rough idea on what I want to do. Thanks guys!

Bartholamue on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    Really?

Man, New Yorkers are so jaded. I loved Times Square. It was amazing. I even went into the Toys R Us there. On a Saturday. The week before Christmas. And it was awesome.

It is definitely something to see. Not exactly where I want to be in a snowstorm after the holidays trying to find a taxi for eight hours so I can just get the fuck home already, but when you have no fixed destination, it is pretty awesome.

riz on
    edited January 2011
    riz wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Really?

It is definitely something to see. Not exactly where I want to be in a snowstorm after the holidays trying to find a taxi for eight hours so I can just get the fuck home already, but when you have no fixed destination, it is pretty awesome.

Christmas/NYE in NYC is one of the best things ever and it's the reason we try to go every other year.

mrt144 on