As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    For what product(s)?

Paper RPGs?

Non-specific, but all my knowledge is pretty much D&D so if they pick me up it will probably be for that or anything I can study up on. I can learn systems rather rapidly.

Incenjucar on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

i ain't gon' change mah rugged ways for you

Dynagrip on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galahad wrote: »
    Dogs are basically permanent toddlers.

People react towards cruelty to dogs as they would cruelty towards a human toddler,

and they should.

And some react harder towards cruelty to dogs than they would towards a toddler.

And they are called PETA.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    hmmm

i am reading these "amygdala response (visualized by fMRI) to skin tone etc" papers

and given that they were able to get a positive fmri response from a dead fish in response to stimuli

i think i need more conclusive evidence of incipient unconscious racial bias

Clearly the entire animal kingdom, both living and dead, hates black people.

Duh

Daxon on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    The people in that article? PROBATION

The lady trying to give her kid a step up? TEN DAYS IN JAIL.

Seems the people in that article stole from a person rather than the government. Though they still got slapped with the fine. You seem angry that some people get jail and others don't.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    hmmm

i am reading these "amygdala response (visualized by fMRI) to skin tone etc" papers

and given that they were able to get a positive fmri response from a dead fish in response to stimuli

Duh

well that makes

a striking amount of sense

Arch on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    You know what does more damage to the cause of fixing racial inequality in the justice system Fart?

Claiming everything bad that happens to a minority is racially motivated.

So we should brush aside the truth because it's not palatable?

I mean, listen, I get that you can't yell "racism!" at a racist and change their mind. But this isn't a television ad or a protest or a lobbying effort, this is D&D. Obviously audience matters, but this is a reasonable audience to say these things.

Except you aren't saying something reasonable or true. Something that is reasonable and true is that racial bias subconsciously effects everybody and this is especially inappropriate in criminal justice situations. That determining school district funding on the basis of real estate values promulgates a class divide or requires vast districts with lots of busing in order to subsidize poor areas. That our educational system sucks in general and needs to be addressed in a large variety of ways. You're not saying that, you're saying that all white people (rather than all people generally) are racist and that this lady's only crime was loving her kids too much.

moniker on
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records.
    o_O Being punished tells people that the behavior that brought on the punishment is okay? What the fuck?

In terms of "you only get community service because it wasn't really a bad bad thing to falsify this record." But not punishing her at all would be worse. I guess what Fart wants it us to say "it's okay you're black and want your kids to go to a better school, here's a cookie just don't break anymore laws, kay?" Is that it? Because I'm confused. She broke the law deliberately to get her kids in a different school district. Is it a crime to want your kids to have a better education? No. Is it a crime to falsify records? Yes.

Maybe if she pulled herself up by her bootstraps she wouldn't be in this predicament.

I think personally it's the jail time that does it for me.

Kagera on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been betrayed by my immune system.

Not only has it allowed a cold to make a potent comeback, but also apparently allowed said cold to call in reinforcments of the sinus variety.

It's entirely possible I ejected a portion of my frontal lobe upon waking up this morning. >_<

HappylilElf on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

Clearly we evolved to hate black people because during hunter-gatherer times...

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2011

People react towards cruelty to dogs as they would cruelty towards a human toddler,

and they should.

And some react harder towards cruelty to dogs than they would towards a toddler.

Let's be fair to be PETA, though. Dogs are pretty much 100% more adorable than toddlers.

Daxon on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Illinois is a horrible place to live because of their eavesdropping law.

Record a cop on tape? That's a 15 year sentence for you!

Fuck THAT SHIT and FUCK YOU Illinois.

What about company vehicles that have CCTV?

Recording of Audio with CCTV is frowned upon here. It rarely produces useful evidence and it has the potential to run afoul of actual wiretapping laws, rather then the Illinois AG's rather poor understanding of the law.

I didn't realise the law applied specifically to audio.

Speaking of CCTV I was wrestling with a DVD we got sent by a supermarket the other day. It was some GE system, and it apparently burns discs with a little autorunning viewer program that doesn't work on any modern version of Windows. I had to borrow the Windows NT box that the engineers keep hanging around because it has a serial port and a dial-up modem.

japan on
    edited January 2011

and they should.

Let's be fair to be PETA, though. Dogs are pretty much 100% more adorable than toddlers.

And don't whine as much.

Kagera on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Y'know what place is pretty great? Canada. Y'all are welcome up here any time, just leave your crazy shit behind.

Give me a job and I will.

Oh I'll give you a job :winky:

you can be my chauffeur!
    Cool. Should I just show up in Toronto at 8 am tomorrow?

First I need to know if you're qualified. Do you know Kung Fu? Do you have your own leather chauffeur's outfit? How do you feel about crime fighting?

Goddamnit, that job should be mine! Give me that job, Fluffy!
    lelouch-geass.jpg

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011

and they should.

yeah i mean i would never eat a dog

a toddler?

maybe

Arch on
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

*stab*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

Duh

well that makes

a striking amount of sense

The only remaining mystery is why black people don't hate black people. And if they do, how do they suppress this self-hatred long enough to reproduce?

Daxon on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

You should probably word your statements a little (actually, a lot, because we are adults here) less dramatically.

"Race plays an issue, even if only subconsciously, any time a person of color stands trial" is a good statement.

What you said though makes it sound like colored people are incapable of criminal acts, and we just ship them all off to gulags to get rid of them. That's Michael Moore level of hysterical ranting and does your cause no good whatsoever.

Man why are people getting that vibe from what I said?

Listen though, it is dramatic.

We live in an apartheid system in which 1 in 9 black men between 18 and 24 is incarcerated

One in nine.

The criminal justice and education systems in this country are built in such a way to dramatically and reliably deny resources and opportunity to African Americans, and maintain patterns of generational poverty

That is what these systems do

it is not dramatic to point that that literally every conviction of a black person in America is tainted by this system, even when the person in question is actually guilty, because how they are sentenced and treated on release are part of this discriminatory system, and even their committing of the crime in the first place cannot be disentangled from this system that enforces such dramatic inequality

Fartacus on
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

no no

i think daxon had it right

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

I'm confused about the wording of the rule. Do I make the modifications for any power that has a status effect or toughness check, or a power that has a status effect and checks against toughness? An example would be Dazzle which has a status effect but it's a check against reflex.

Thomamelas on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I'm off to my horribly long unemployment seminar thing. Later folks. You all have a good day. <3

Incenjucar on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records.
    o_O Being punished tells people that the behavior that brought on the punishment is okay? What the fuck?

In terms of "you only get community service because it wasn't really a bad bad thing to falsify this record." But not punishing her at all would be worse. I guess what Fart wants it us to say "it's okay you're black and want your kids to go to a better school, here's a cookie just don't break anymore laws, kay?" Is that it? Because I'm confused. She broke the law deliberately to get her kids in a different school district. Is it a crime to want your kids to have a better education? No. Is it a crime to falsify records? Yes.

Maybe if she pulled herself up by her bootstraps she wouldn't be in this predicament.

I think personally it's the jail time that does it for me.

If that's it, I think we can agree then. There's no reason for jail time (unless it was time served) in this case.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2011
    Biological essentialism is the best 'cism.

Silas Brown on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    hmmm

Eh

I mean it's not super outrageous to suggest that we did evolve to not feel a lot of empathy for out-group members

of course that's going to manifest in physical neurological systems

how we identify "out-group" is of course environmentally contingent

Fartacus on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    THIS JUST IN: MINORITIES HAVE NEVER COMMITTED A CRIME EVER.

MORE REVELATIONS AT 10

Hey big surprise that's not what I said

listen Styrofoam no offense but I'm not sure you have the intellectual tools for the sort of debate we try to carry out here

like you seem pretty pathologically incapable of actually reading, internalizing, and then evaluating someone else's argument without turning it into a moronic parody

It's not productive, and it's not persuasive

a little self-examination is in order, I believe

I'm sad this is too tall to be sigged.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    hmmm

*stab*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-vnmejwXo

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Flashing me the sharingan won't work, Mori

I've deactivated your trap card 8-)

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Makin retro (non microwave) popcorn.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When you claim no minority in convicted of a crime without race being a factor you lose credibility when it really is the case that race was a factor.

I'm comfortable saying that race is always a factor.

That doesn't mean that a given person convicted was innocent, but it does mean that at some point in the process - arrest, interactions with DAs or PDs, severity of charges, terms of the plea bargain, likelihood of taking the plea bargain, likelihood of being offered mental health treatment, going to jury trial, jury selection, etc. - race influenced the course of events in some way.

you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

I'd say that's probably likely yeah

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ohhh what did Ohio do this time?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    oh man oh man the salmon paper is published now

Arch on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

In terms of "you only get community service because it wasn't really a bad bad thing to falsify this record."
    So "not a bad bad thing" is the same as "okay". Got it.
    bowen wrote:
    Is it a crime to want your kids to have a better education? No. Is it a crime to falsify records? Yes.
    Is it in the state's best interest that she be sent to prison and have a felony on her record, thus crippling her future and that of her children? No.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2011

and they should.

And don't whine as much.

Exactly, dogs only make an adorable yelping/whimper that makes you want to hug them until everything's better.

:(

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    Someone in my class this morning tried to defend saying "woman is the other in all cultures and races on earth and maybe that's not a bad thing"

In a fourth-year women's studies class uuughp

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Flashing me the sharingan won't work, Mori

I've deactivated your trap card 8-)

051_yugi_shocked.jpg?w=550

Silas Brown on
    edited January 2011
    I mean it's not super outrageous to suggest that we did evolve to not feel a lot of empathy for out-group members

of course that's going to manifest in physical neurological systems

how we identify "out-group" is of course environmentally contingent

I agree with this.

Feral on

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jesus Christ.

Just watched the latest episode of Castle.

Wow...just wow.

BobCesca on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    THIS JUST IN: MINORITIES HAVE NEVER COMMITTED A CRIME EVER.

MORE REVELATIONS AT 10

Hey big surprise that's not what I said

listen Styrofoam no offense but I'm not sure you have the intellectual tools for the sort of debate we try to carry out here

like you seem pretty pathologically incapable of actually reading, internalizing, and then evaluating someone else's argument without turning it into a moronic parody

It's not productive, and it's not persuasive

a little self-examination is in order, I believe

I'm sad this is too tall to be sigged.

Sig it in a spoiler.

(I make no comment as to whether you should or should not sig this, I am just making the general observation that you can sig tall things in a spoiler)

japan on
This discussion has been closed.