As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

sure

I think that's true -- I get nervous when I see a group of young men on my street at night, in general

but implicit bias is a very well-researched and very well-evidenced phenomenon, by many different modes of investigation including traditional psychological study (not evo-psych or brain imaging)

Fartacus on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Busy busy downloading neccessities for Freespace 2 open so I can play Blue Planet mod.

Got at least 5 tabs open. I'm confused.

WMain00 on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Fuck if I were a judge I would've let her get off with a few hundred hours of community service because A) she didn't really do anything that deserves that kind of financial shit and B) the community benefits.

Though, the judge is right, that sends the message it's okay to falsify records.
    o_O Being punished tells people that the behavior that brought on the punishment is okay? What the fuck?

In terms of "you only get community service because it wasn't really a bad bad thing to falsify this record." But not punishing her at all would be worse. I guess what Fart wants it us to say "it's okay you're black and want your kids to go to a better school, here's a cookie just don't break anymore laws, kay?" Is that it? Because I'm confused. She broke the law deliberately to get her kids in a different school district. Is it a crime to want your kids to have a better education? No. Is it a crime to falsify records? Yes.

Maybe if she pulled herself up by her bootstraps she wouldn't be in this predicament.

I think personally it's the jail time that does it for me.

In the sense that any kind of "harm" was done here, her kids were using up property tax dollars in a district where she didn't contribute.

Some sort of community service in that district is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.

Instead the state chose to deprive children of their parent.

Which is pretty sick.

So, hopefully the outrage isn't contained to [chat], and some actual aid goes to that family.

Galahad on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

I'd say that's probably likely yeah

Or that race was a part of the socioeconomic consequences that led to the person's arrest or the availability of resources to the person.

Or that people who aren't consciously racist had different perceptions of the suspect due to ingrained racial stereotypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOSL85ZMck

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I mean it's not super outrageous to suggest that we did evolve to not feel a lot of empathy for out-group members

of course that's going to manifest in physical neurological systems

how we identify "out-group" is of course environmentally contingent

I agree with this.

i slightly disagree with the strength of the data presented to confirm this at present however

and we must also take into account the H2 and the null (we did evolve to feel empathy for out group and we don't have an evolved response to out group members, respectively)

Arch on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Someone in my class this morning tried to defend saying "woman is the other in all cultures and races on earth and maybe that's not a bad thing"

In a fourth-year women's studies class uuughp

Was he making the trollface?

Silas Brown on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I get nervous when I see a group of young men on my street at night, in general
    Middle age is the point at which you stop seeing young people and start seeing youths.

japan on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    what have you done to your hair, promo???

Nerdgasmic on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone in my class this morning tried to defend saying "woman is the other in all cultures and races on earth and maybe that's not a bad thing"

I don't quite understand that sentence.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
    edited January 2011
    You know what does more damage to the cause of fixing racial inequality in the justice system Fart?

Claiming everything bad that happens to a minority is racially motivated.

So we should brush aside the truth because it's not palatable?

I mean, listen, I get that you can't yell "racism!" at a racist and change their mind. But this isn't a television ad or a protest or a lobbying effort, this is D&D. Obviously audience matters, but this is a reasonable audience to say these things.

Crying wolf. When you claim no minority in convicted of a crime without race being a factor you lose credibility when it really is the case that race was a factor.

ignore-list'd

Fartacus on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    liberals hating on other liberals

i love chat sometimes

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

Is that even true? I've got to think that there are cultures where gender isn't used as a divide, or men is the other. Just given the raw number of cultures out there.

Shivahn on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Who dat asian in your avatar

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

sure

I think that's true -- I get nervous when I see a group of young men on my street at night, in general

but implicit bias is a very well-researched and very well-evidenced phenomenon, by many different modes of investigation including traditional psychological study (not evo-psych or brain imaging)

and how do these rule out cultural programming and in favor of an evolved biological response, given that in every society so far we commit those who look or act differently to an "out group"

seems tautological to infer it is an evolved response

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Illinois is a horrible place to live because of their eavesdropping law.

Record a cop on tape? That's a 15 year sentence for you!

Fuck THAT SHIT and FUCK YOU Illinois.

What about company vehicles that have CCTV?

Recording of Audio with CCTV is frowned upon here. It rarely produces useful evidence and it has the potential to run afoul of actual wiretapping laws, rather then the Illinois AG's rather poor understanding of the law.

I didn't realise the law applied specifically to audio.

Speaking of CCTV I was wrestling with a DVD we got sent by a supermarket the other day. It was some GE system, and it apparently burns discs with a little autorunning viewer program that doesn't work on any modern version of Windows. I had to borrow the Windows NT box that the engineers keep hanging around because it has a serial port and a dial-up modem.

Most of the laws in the US on audio recording come from our wiretapping laws. In fact so do a lot of laws on hacking as well. And those laws were written in the 60's before CCTV was imagined. The upside is that they are actually pretty straightforward. The downside is that their wording allows them to be applied more widely then I think they were intended to be. And since violating those laws is a felony in most states, and a felony on the federal level, audio recording gets discouraged. And it's rarely useful information anyway.

And I'm guessing it's one of their Wavereader units. I really don't like the whole school of thought with the encrypted video.

Thomamelas on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

Or that race was a part of the socioeconomic consequences that led to the person's arrest or the availability of resources to the person.

Or that people who aren't consciously racist had different perceptions of the suspect due to ingrained racial stereotypes.

oh okay

even more broad than I thought you meant.

impossible to disagree, not that I was anyway

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Witchdr wrote: »

Woman is the "other" in all cultures

Silas Brown on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    liberals hating on other liberals

i love chat sometimes

Prvng how less racist you are than other liberals is like the liberal Olympics

nexuscrawler on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    I mean it's not super outrageous to suggest that we did evolve to not feel a lot of empathy for out-group members

of course that's going to manifest in physical neurological systems

how we identify "out-group" is of course environmentally contingent

I agree with this.

i slightly disagree with the strength of the data presented to confirm this at present however

and we must also take into account the H2 and the null (we did evolve to feel empathy for out group and we don't have an evolved response to out group members, respectively)

Works for me.

Also arousal in the amygdala doesn't necessarily imply an aversive response. It usually does but we can also see it in sexual arousal, among other things.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know what does more damage to the cause of fixing racial inequality in the justice system Fart?

Claiming everything bad that happens to a minority is racially motivated.

So we should brush aside the truth because it's not palatable?

I mean, listen, I get that you can't yell "racism!" at a racist and change their mind. But this isn't a television ad or a protest or a lobbying effort, this is D&D. Obviously audience matters, but this is a reasonable audience to say these things.

Crying wolf. When you claim no minority in convicted of a crime without race being a factor you lose credibility when it really is the case that race was a factor.

ignore-list'd

/sigh

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011
    man that john cleese clip is fantastic

Arch on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »

Is that even true? I've got to think that there are cultures where gender isn't used as a divide, or men is the other. Just given the raw number of cultures out there.

I don't think it's true, I mean matriarchal societies do exist

but hyperbole is often used in arguments, maybe s/he didn't mean to say *all*, but rather "the western cultures that I have grown up in"

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nothing really matters

anyone can see

nothing really matters

nothing really matters to me

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited January 2011

I love it

Feral on

edited January 2011
    I get nervous when I see people on the street at night when I'm alone

but then I live in a questionable neighbourhood, in a part of the city panned by the other districts as 'criminal', and had to deal with a race war when I was in highschool

so, umm

yeah

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2011

I love it

i am watching it for the third time and i cant stop giggling at it

Arch on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sorry guess I should have asked a question rather then just say I dont understand. What is ment by "other"?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I get nervous when I see a group of young men on my street at night, in general
    Middle age is the point at which you stop seeing young people and start seeing youths.

I have not hit that point yet, I hope I never will.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqV1HIRsfVY&feature=related

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

What? The other were cool. All sneaking around the island, wrapped in mystery and shadows.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    165393_10150123605921967_586946966_7681841_4424659_n.jpg

hatersgonnahatex.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

I'm confused about the wording of the rule. Do I make the modifications for any power that has a status effect or toughness check, or a power that has a status effect and checks against toughness? An example would be Dazzle which has a status effect but it's a check against reflex.

Any power that originally involves a saving throw rolls a power check against the same save defense instead.
    Any power that deals damage (that would progress the damage track) rolls a damage check instead.

In the case of Dazzle, if I'm reading you right, you'd roll a power check against the target's Reflex save defense, instead of the target rolling a saving throw.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

I don't think it's true, I mean matriarchal societies do exist

but hyperbole is often used in arguments, maybe s/he didn't mean to say *all*, but rather "the western cultures that I have grown up in"

If that's the case, specifying "All cultures and races" in the area "earth" seems a bit silly.

Shivahn on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should I be concerned I have an eye that's been twitching for like.. 4 hours now? Should I post in H&A and see how many "you've got cancer!" and "take a xanax from your mom's med cabinent!" posts I get?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most of the laws in the US on audio recording come from our wiretapping laws. In fact so do a lot of laws on hacking as well. And those laws were written in the 60's before CCTV was imagined. The upside is that they are actually pretty straightforward. The downside is that their wording allows them to be applied more widely then I think they were intended to be. And since violating those laws is a felony in most states, and a felony on the federal level, audio recording gets discouraged. And it's rarely useful information anyway.

And I'm guessing it's one of their Wavereader units. I really don't like the whole school of thought with the encrypted video.

I have become very interested in the various laws that govern CCTV and covert recording since I have started considering wearing a helmet cam.

Happily, there seem to be no restrictions on doing so, however much various people seem to think that there is.

japan on
    edited January 2011
    If there's one thing [chat] seems unified in is its love of Queen

all topics should be Queen based to keep the peace

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOSL85ZMck

And then, if the thief happens to be a HOT FEMALE....

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2011

sure

and how do these rule out cultural programming and in favor of an evolved biological response, given that in every society so far we commit those who look or act differently to an "out group"

seems tautological to infer it is an evolved response

I mean does it really matter

I didn't even initially evoke evo-psych this time

technically Feral brought it up

although I understand you also have issues with brain imaging studies, and fair enough

Fartacus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

I'm confused about the wording of the rule. Do I make the modifications for any power that has a status effect or toughness check, or a power that has a status effect and checks against toughness? An example would be Dazzle which has a status effect but it's a check against reflex.

Any power that originally involves a saving throw rolls a power check against the same save defense instead.
    Any power that deals damage (that would progress the damage track) rolls a damage check instead.

In the case of Dazzle, if I'm reading you right, you'd roll a power check against the target's Reflex save defense, instead of the target rolling a saving throw.

Right, but at +5 or just the normal check?

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    "between the gene we scientists now know makes people eat coconut milk ice cream after fish dinner..."

goddamit that line kills me everytime

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.