As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Es[chat]ology

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Someone in my class this morning tried to defend saying "woman is the other in all cultures and races on earth and maybe that's not a bad thing"

In a fourth-year women's studies class uuughp

Was he making the trollface?

No she wasn't but omg I love you. <3

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Someone in my class this morning tried to defend saying "woman is the other in all cultures and races on earth and maybe that's not a bad thing"

I don't quite understand that sentence.

Woman is the "other" in all cultures

Sorry guess I should have asked a question rather then just say I dont understand. What is ment by "other"?

It has quite a few meanings, but the one that I most often associate with the word is someone in an oftentimes subordinate role that is defined completely in relation to the dominating position in society, which, in the context of gender studies in East Asian and European cultures, often meant the male

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

Is that even true? I've got to think that there are cultures where gender isn't used as a divide, or men is the other. Just given the raw number of cultures out there.

I don't think it's true, I mean matriarchal societies do exist

but hyperbole is often used in arguments, maybe s/he didn't mean to say *all*, but rather "the western cultures that I have grown up in"

AFAIK there have been no truly matriarchal societies identified among all the cultures of Earth past or present. There are matrilineal societies, and societies with occasional female power figures, and societies where genders were effectively equal, but there have been done where women were more powerful than men simply by virtue of being women. At best, there might be modern matriarchal subcultures (like, say, femdom kink).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    "between the gene we scientists now know makes people eat coconut milk ice cream after fish dinner..."

goddamit that line kills me everytime
    Where is that from?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If there's one thing [chat] seems unified in is its love of Queen

all topics should be Queen based to keep the peace

I do what I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqqnXd8qoTM

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Stupid Denmark is leading in this handball game. SUCK,

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that my amygdala will activate at the sight of a lot of white men's photos, too.

Because frankly a lot of men trigger my anxiety in subtle but perceptible ways.

It's kind of been a problem for exploring the gay side of my sexuality.

sure

I think that's true -- I get nervous when I see a group of young men on my street at night, in general

but implicit bias is a very well-researched and very well-evidenced phenomenon, by many different modes of investigation including traditional psychological study (not evo-psych or brain imaging)

and how do these rule out cultural programming and in favor of an evolved biological response, given that in every society so far we commit those who look or act differently to an "out group"

seems tautological to infer it is an evolved response

I mean does it really matter

I didn't even initially evoke evo-psych this time

technically Feral brought it up

although I understand you also have issues with brain imaging studies, and fair enough

i think in the context of describing an evolutionary history, and whether or not an amygdala response is a biological inevitability to outgroup, the tautology of your explanation certainly matters

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    "between the gene we scientists now know makes people eat coconut milk ice cream after fish dinner..."

goddamit that line kills me everytime
    Where is that from?

linking it again because it is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-vnmejwXo

Arch on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Justin Beiber and His Totally Sweet Razor Scooter is the name of my band

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wish I had sound for that Arch. :(

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Should I be concerned I have an eye that's been twitching for like.. 4 hours now? Should I post in H&A and see how many "you've got cancer!" and "take a xanax from your mom's med cabinent!" posts I get?

Is it like a rapid irregular twitch of the eyelid

or is your eyeball actually twitching back and forth?

The former is a bletharospasm and is usually harmless.

The latter is nystagmus and... isn't necessarily harmless.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    linking it again because it is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-vnmejwXo
    Well I'm at work, so I can't watch that. Link it again tonight after dinner.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Thom, I am sorry but I do not understand your last question in the M&M thread.

I'm confused about the wording of the rule. Do I make the modifications for any power that has a status effect or toughness check, or a power that has a status effect and checks against toughness? An example would be Dazzle which has a status effect but it's a check against reflex.

Any power that originally involves a saving throw rolls a power check against the same save defense instead.
    Any power that deals damage (that would progress the damage track) rolls a damage check instead.

In the case of Dazzle, if I'm reading you right, you'd roll a power check against the target's Reflex save defense, instead of the target rolling a saving throw.

Right, but at +5 or just the normal check?

Without having access to the book I'm going to guess normal.

The reason that +5 is in there is because Toughness save DCs against damage start at 15, not 10.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

I'd say that's probably likely yeah

Or that race was a part of the socioeconomic consequences that led to the person's arrest or the availability of resources to the person.

Or that people who aren't consciously racist had different perceptions of the suspect due to ingrained racial stereotypes.

And then, if the thief happens to be a HOT FEMALE....

Arresting her would be entrapment!

moniker on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    heh my cousin apologized

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is that even true? I've got to think that there are cultures where gender isn't used as a divide, or men is the other. Just given the raw number of cultures out there.

but hyperbole is often used in arguments, maybe s/he didn't mean to say *all*, but rather "the western cultures that I have grown up in"

AFAIK there have been no truly matriarchal societies identified among all the cultures of Earth past or present. There are matrilineal societies, and societies with occasional female power figures, and societies where genders were effectively equal, but there have been done where women were more powerful than men simply by virtue of being women. At best, there might be modern matriarchal subcultures (like, say, femdom kink).

I agree with this, I just was pretty sure some island cultures in the south pacific developed some matriarchal societies, but then again I studied this a while ago so I'm not 100% on this.

Anyway, the more controversial part of that student's statement, was the latter half, in my opinion. To me, it is an interesting position and arguable/defensible under a certain light, although not particularly smart to posit that in a god damn fourth year women's studies class

Eddy on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't quite understand that sentence.

Woman is the "other" in all cultures

Sorry guess I should have asked a question rather then just say I dont understand. What is ment by "other"?

It has quite a few meanings, but the one that I most often associate with the word is someone in an oftentimes subordinate role that is defined in relation to the dominating position in society, which, in the context of gender studies in East Asian and European cultures, often meant the male

My guess was it was some kind of submissive or lesser role but i wasn't sure and didn't want to make the leap. Honestly that is the first time i've seen other used in that context.

Thanks for the answer.

Also a woman in a woman's study class making an arguement that it might be ok to diminish women because everyone else does?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep4mRpmrkQ

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

and how do these rule out cultural programming and in favor of an evolved biological response, given that in every society so far we commit those who look or act differently to an "out group"

although I understand you also have issues with brain imaging studies, and fair enough

i think in the context of describing an evolutionary history, and whether or not an amygdala response is a biological inevitability to outgroup, the tautology of your explanation certainly matters

looking at your post a little more closely

are we talking about a biological predisposition to label people who look-different as out-group, or are we talking about a biological predisposition to behave a certain way towards culturally-designated out-groups?

for the record I'm advocating the latter

I just want to make sure we're not talking past each other here, but we might not be anyway

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

No no it was specifically an appeal to naturalism

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wish I had sound for that Arch. :(

there isn't much point without sound

but it is still funny to watch him point at things

Arch on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The closest thing you can get this world to Freddie live is a MIKA concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEPCsQ4608&ob=av2el

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

No no it was specifically an appeal to naturalism

Hahaha.

You take classes with some crazy people, Rivs.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know Dave Grohl is too good. I guess the only slight you can say is he's funny looking.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God damn it now I'm just browsing webpages about Lacan

french philosophers are bastards, the lot of them

except derrida, he seemed like a nice guy

wrong and ultimately ridiculed, but nice

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

are we talking about a biological predisposition to label people who look-different as out-group, or are we talking about a biological predisposition to behave a certain way towards culturally-designated out-groups?

I just want to make sure we're not talking past each other here, but we might not be anyway

okay see, i was thinking the first

alright yeah i think i got you on this then, although i need more evidence to claim a biological predisposition than just brain studies. but maybe it is there or something i don't know, i havent gotten TOO deep into it

(disclaimer: can't really cite psychological studies about this either- i am going to be a stickler here and draw a slightly arbitrary divide between psychology and biology, even though it engenders the mind-body dualism fallacy)

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    you're basically saying that odds are one person the arrested person deals with along the way is a racist or specifically tries to help minorities in those positions

I'd say that's probably likely yeah

Or that race was a part of the socioeconomic consequences that led to the person's arrest or the availability of resources to the person.

Or that people who aren't consciously racist had different perceptions of the suspect due to ingrained racial stereotypes.

And then, if the thief happens to be a HOT FEMALE....

Arresting her would be entrapment!

The dude that was with his wife was hilarious.

"Honey she's clearly stealing that bike!"

"Shut up Marge, I'm just being friendly!" *winks at plant*

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    You know Dave Grohl is too good. I guess the only slight you can say is he's funny looking.

Did a concert for a group that thinks AIDS isn't real and the symptoms are caused by the TREATMENT for it.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Best Buy claims to have my game ready to pick up. If its not there I'm going to kill someone, with a plasma torch, while wearing my ishimura hoody. This crime will confuse the police.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    i saw mika play in a bookstore in nyc

his voice is amazing live

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    God damn it now I'm just browsing webpages about Lacan

french philosophers are bastards, the lot of them

except derrida, he seemed like a nice guy

wrong and ultimately ridiculed, but nice

I pulled out Lacan when I was arguing with jacob about survival horror last night lol

Speaking of, time to go get DS2.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should I be concerned I have an eye that's been twitching for like.. 4 hours now? Should I post in H&A and see how many "you've got cancer!" and "take a xanax from your mom's med cabinent!" posts I get?

Is it like a rapid irregular twitch of the eyelid

or is your eyeball actually twitching back and forth?

The former is a bletharospasm and is usually harmless.

The latter is nystagmus and... isn't necessarily harmless.

The first, eyelid is twitching like mad. High stress day and I had a really salty lunch, yuk. I'm imaging my blood pressure is a bit high right now from the stress itself.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Did a concert for a group that thinks AIDS isn't real and the symptoms are caused by the TREATMENT for it.

Damn... well damn. Can we write that off in the same vein that the concerts to benefit african poverty went to warlords who then murdered the shit out of people?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

alright yeah i think i got you on this then, although i need more evidence to claim a biological predisposition than just brain studies. but maybe it is there or something i don't know, i havent gotten TOO deep into it

(disclaimer: can't really cite psychological studies about this either- i am going to be a stickler here and draw a slightly arbitrary divide between psychology and biology, even though it engenders the mind-body dualism fallacy)

well I mean even if it is culturally-informed to discriminate against out-groups and exhibit higher tendency to deny them resources/exclude them from status and opportunity, it's a global universal

and implicit bias, regardless of its evolved-or-not origin is definitely a well-evidenced phenomenon

for the argument I was making I don't think anything was really contingent on the evolutionary nature of anything

and I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough to definitively state that out-group discrimination is an evolved tendency, though I certainly lean in that direction (I always struggle with plausible alternative explanations for complex behaviors that have existed with complete universality across all observed cultures and history).

Fartacus on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It occurs to me that Black Swan and The Wrestler are a lot alike

Aronofsky recycles

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

We should steal a bunch of babies and raise them in the wilderness away from society, keeping tabs on them in a covert manner

my hypothesis will be that they self-segregate

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Damn... well damn. Can we write that off in the same vein that the concerts to benefit african poverty went to warlords who then murdered the shit out of people?

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before and kinda expect we will again. Weird.

Anyway it was one of his bandmates that was into it, not him so sure.

Kagera on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did we mention that "other" has more of a specific meaning, especially in terms of feminism and comes from Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex?

(Sorry if it was mentioned, but pages have passed)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Aronofsky recycles

If only he'd do an entire movie with Marissa Tomei butt ass naked with jennifer connelly. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Aronofsky recycles

Yes Mickey Rourke doesn't go down on another wrestler.

This is why Black Swan is superior.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.