As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    It occurs to me that Black Swan and The Wrestler are a lot alike

Aronofsky recycles

If only he'd do an entire movie with Marissa Tomei butt ass naked with jennifer connelly. I'd buy that for a dollar.

If they were both younger, sure.

What no

MR. AARONOFSKY, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN

desc on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh ffs! The boiler was repaired today and worked a solid 3-4 hours before replicating the previous fault. This makes it a week without a boiler that works for more than a couple of hours

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral: I don't drink anything with caffeine in it.

Have you been getting good restful sleep? I know I get eye twitches when I've gone a couple of days with only less than 4 good hours of sleep.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems typical of America that the answer to "so what happens if you have a life-threatening condition and need crucial medicines to stay alive" is "it's complicated and there are a lot of cracks to fall through"

Senjutsu on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

This went about the way I expected, but I wish they had selected a black actor who matched the white guy in size and stature, rather than age.

Because honestly, the black actor cut a much less intimidating figure. Race surely plays a part here, obviously, but the black actor is simply scrawnier, less physically imposing, and that plays into it as well.

People would have been less emboldened, I believe, if the black actor had been as large as the white actor.

Perhaps, but alternatively maybe they would have been even more aggressive because he would have fit more the stereotypical image of a young black male criminal

in either case I agree it would have been better to try to equalize those differences

Fartacus on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    How would it work if you have HIV in America?

Who pays for your medicine?

Actually, how's it work for anyone that's chronically ill? How do you pay for your meds and food and stuff?

I presume it depends on your insurance. I have a dreadful feeling without insurance you pay everything yourself.

Problem is I can't imagine any insurance company paying for HIV medicine for any extended length of time. They'd go bankrupt.

Government is the only organisation I'd trust doing right by chronically ill people.

Daxon endorses death panels.

AKA Insurance Review boards.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I hear potassium deficiency can cause some twitching.

So shove those bananas down your through like you're a closeted sailor on shore leave.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011

Aronofsky recycles

in an interview he said that originally they were going to be part of the same movie.

Dynagrip on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    no holocaust denial, please

Organichu on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »

Aronofsky recycles

If only he'd do an entire movie with Marissa Tomei butt ass naked with jennifer connelly. I'd buy that for a dollar.

What no

I even have a twist, after an hour of wet hot sex between the two of them, Helen Mirren joins in. Bam motherfucking oscar caliber.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also the more I am reading and following this Samon fMRI paper, the less convinced I am becoming about fMRI in general as being indicative of anything

Arch on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jakarrd wrote: »

Have you been getting good restful sleep? I know I get eye twitches when I've gone a couple of days with only less than 4 good hours of sleep.

Probably less than 7 hours the past two days. Though I usually have no trouble. I think it's probably the stress as it happened about halfway through today right after release went out and calls poured in about new features.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jeepguy: yeah, good thinking. It's not exactly a scientific experiment. Also, I don't know how selective they were with editing there, or how obvious the cameraman was.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »

Aronofsky recycles

What no

If I wanted to watch old snatch I'd go through my Guy Ritchie collection

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

Holocaust denial, DENIED!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also is Japan around.

I want to celebrate with him the amount of haggis available today.

(because it's so good)

Leitner on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I'm honest, the artwork in the L4D comic wasn't very good.

The dialogue was top notch though.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2011

I hear potassium deficiency can cause some twitching.

So shove those bananas down your through like you're a closeted sailor on shore leave.

potassium deficiency OR sodium overload can both cause twitching, if i recall how nerves work

Arch on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How would it work if you have HIV in America?

Who pays for your medicine?

Actually, how's it work for anyone that's chronically ill? How do you pay for your meds and food and stuff?

I presume it depends on your insurance. I have a dreadful feeling without insurance you pay everything yourself.

Problem is I can't imagine any insurance company paying for HIV medicine for any extended length of time. They'd go bankrupt.

Government is the only organisation I'd trust doing right by chronically ill people.

Daxon endorses death panels.

AKA Insurance Review boards.

Nah, I support the government sponsored death panels.

Y'know, the ones manned by doctors and health professionals that have actual souls and want to do right by people.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »

This went about the way I expected, but I wish they had selected a black actor who matched the white guy in size and stature, rather than age.

Because honestly, the black actor cut a much less intimidating figure. Race surely plays a part here, obviously, but the black actor is simply scrawnier, less physically imposing, and that plays into it as well.

People would have been less emboldened, I believe, if the black actor had been as large as the white actor.

Perhaps, but alternatively maybe they would have been even more aggressive because he would have fit more the stereotypical image of a young black male criminal

in either case I agree it would have been better to try to equalize those differences

Hahaha yeah because if there is a large dude stealing something I'm going to be more aggressive if he's bigger then I am. Yeah fucking right.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »

right, and i understand you didnt invoke evolution specifically and am thus going to plead Dobzhansky and implicit bias given our conversations yesterday.

sorry you went over my head there

oh neat

Fartacus on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Holocaust: denied.

Senjutsu on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Daxon is unjailed! I've never seen that avatar before!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Jeepguy: yeah, good thinking. It's not exactly a scientific experiment. Also, I don't know how selective they were with editing there, or how obvious the cameraman was.

still interesting though, but these were my thoughts as well

also i am reminded of that video where the guy played really loud drums at night and got people to tell him to stop, but when he broadcast a really loud taped argument that sounded violent

no one helped

Arch on
    edited January 2011

If I wanted to watch old snatch I'd go through my Guy Ritchie collection

This works best if you said "Guy Ritchie's home movies."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011

Hahaha yeah because if there is a large dude stealing something I'm going to be more aggressive if he's bigger then I am. Yeah fucking right.

more aggressive in chastising him, I mean

but also remember this was a public park is broad daylight, and most of the people approached him in a group, including several large crowds of 10+ people

it's not like a one-on-one confrontation in a dark alley

Fartacus on
    edited January 2011
    T: fart

yeah the titular quote is what i was going for with that statement

Arch on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    If I'm honest, the artwork in the L4D comic wasn't very good.

The dialogue was top notch though.

i hated that thing. felt forced and really was just unnecessary. i also i didn't like the entire premise.

Dynagrip on
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

He's insitutionalized, he'll either go back to jail or be swinging from a beam.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

OK. Holocaust approval from here on out.

Couscous on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

also i am reminded of that video where the guy played really loud drums at night and got people to tell him to stop, but when he broadcast a really loud taped argument that sounded violent

no one helped

I can't help but look at this from an economist's standpoint for some reason

My mind has gotten so sick of all the psychological and philosophical discussion over Kitty Genovese I guess

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

OK. Holocaust approval from here on out.

This is gold.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

That's the only avatar I've ever had on these boards.

I'd hazard a guess that you've only just seen it cause you arrived to [chat] when I was newly jailed :P

I might be getting a new avatar soon though, and a new name by virtue of Tube's thing-a-ma-jiggy he hosts every now and then.

Daxon on
    edited January 2011

but also remember this was a public park is broad daylight, and most of the people approached him in a group, including several large crowds of 10+ people

I'd just call the police and give them all the info. There is zero reason to risk ones self over someone elses property.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    eddy that reminds me

you are doing an economics degree yes?

or have one already?

Arch on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think Russell Brand may have really slept with Helen Mirren.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jakarrd wrote: »

Probably less than 7 hours the past two days. Though I usually have no trouble. I think it's probably the stress as it happened about halfway through today right after release went out and calls poured in about new features.

Quite possible. I know the sleep is generally the part that activates my twitch. Stress only serves to activate my mouth and make observations that a greater man would have just zenned out.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear Fartacus,

Did you intend on having everyone refer to you as Fart? Does it bring levity to your day or displeasure to your disposition?

With Great Concern and Well Wishes,

DUE

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

that doesn't matter all that much

crowds are notoriously useless in situations that they perceive might offer them individual harm

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    Everyone always talks about kitty being murdered, no one ever mentioned how she was dressed or the signals she was throwing out. Just saying.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.