As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Es[chat]ology

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Also is Japan around.

I want to celebrate with him the amount of haggis available today.

(because it's so good)

awesome Burns Supper of awesomeness is planned for Saturday night. Menu includes whisky, Scotch Broth, whisky, Haggis, neeps and Tatties, whisky, cranachan, whisky, Irish Coffees (with Scottish Whisky) and then death.

Seriously, guys, this is gonna be awesome and you should all be jealous.

(wait for Sunday's report that I accidentally gave us food poisoning and then you can mock me).

well

there certainly isn't enough whisky

and there is too much meat

needs less meat and more whisky

Arch on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey [chat]. I drank a lot of wine last night and watched the Joan Rivers documentary. It was great.

Is her documentary called "Plastic!"?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's this about big butts, now?

desc on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Helen Mirren looks good for her age, but she is 65. I mean, come on, guys.

Its like the conservatives who attack Pelosi and Clinton on their appearances.

They're older than my grandparents give em a break.

There was a slideshow of various political figures' high school photos floating around a few years ago. Cheney looked like a footbally bully, Bush looked like a pothead slacker, and Pelosi was drop-dead gorgeous. (Granted, she was dressed a little archaically, but still.)

Captain Carrot on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also is Japan around.

(because it's so good)

awesome Burns Supper of awesomeness is planned for Saturday night. Menu includes whisky, Scotch Broth, whisky, Haggis, neeps and Tatties, whisky, cranachan, whisky, Irish Coffees (with Scottish Whisky) and then death.

(wait for Sunday's report that I accidentally gave us food poisoning and then you can mock me).

What kind of meat are you using for Scoth Broth (if you say Beef you're dead to me)

stevemarks44 on
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »

we all like them and other brothers can't deny?

Arch on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

what i'm saying is that the existence of a crowd- wherein we're defining them as a group of people not necessarily bound by anything more than proximity- doesn't necessarily serve to reinforce the courage of its units

cops know they're in it together

if dave is in a pizza shop and witnesses a wrong (someone catching a beating, a robbery, whatever) carried out by a threatening figure... there's nothing to say that he'll think "well there are 5 other guys in here right now, i'm sure they'll back me up, now i feel safe enough to approach"

true

but in the video linked, many groups of people gathered who collectively started exhibiting aggressive and critical behavior towards the suspected thief

so, they did have something tying them together more than proximity

also people sometimes travel in groups of friends, especially at a park

Fartacus on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not really so into butts.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

implicit anti-black bias has even been demonstrated in most blacks

It's a pretty uncontested thing in research on the subject

if you live in America

you've been socialized to a lot of stereotypes about black people that influence your cognition whether you subscribe to them consciously or not

I'm not saying it makes you a bad person

But it is pretty damn well researched and evidenced. I'm comfortable calling it a fact in a common-language usage of the term, yes

I've recently begun reading Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye. That self-loathing found in ethnic minorities, which was probably even more magnified and cruel in the 1940s, is really, really upsetting. But that's the social web that we wove so tightly for millenia, I suppose. I think it's shifting a bit, but it'll take a long time to reverse, and it's not a sure bet that conflicting standards of beauty and aesthetics will ever be resolved.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited January 2011
    Hey [chat]. I drank a lot of wine last night and watched the Joan Rivers documentary. It was great.

Is her documentary called "Plastic!"?

No. Actually one thing that's really great about it is that other than a tiny bit where she talks about it, they don't even talk about her plastic surgery at all. The documentary is about her career as a comedienne, which is actually much more storied and interesting than you'd think.

stevemarks44 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus likes big butts and he cannot lie

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

more aggressive in chastising him, I mean

but also remember this was a public park is broad daylight, and most of the people approached him in a group, including several large crowds of 10+ people

it's not like a one-on-one confrontation in a dark alley

I'd just call the police and give them all the info. There is zero reason to risk ones self over someone elses property.

Yeap, me too. I would have called 911 on either of the two (and the fucking chick too for that matter) without even speaking to them.

I would absolutely not confront a potential criminal over someone else's bike.

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011

So you're more of a tip "Oops I'm sorry unless you liked it" kind of guy?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also is Japan around.

(because it's so good)

What kind of meat are you using for Scoth Broth (if you say Beef you're dead to me)

Our Scotch Broth is veggie, though if we were doing meat it would be lamb or mutton. For it is traditional.

BobCesca on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

we all like them and other brothers can't deny?

Indeed.

desc on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I saw a pretty cute curvy black girl at the hot springs last weekend.

Made me think of you, Fartacus. I think it was the day after you were hells of drunk in [chat] talking about big butts.

god I love butts
    Naked hot springs

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Did you lose a coin toss, Fartacus?

Because your name is pretty gross.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited January 2011

Yeap, me too. I would have called 911 on either of the two (and the fucking chick too for that matter) without even speaking to them.

Seriously, I've called the cops to report crimes or weird shit ain't no thing. I don't confront or hang around. Just call the fucking po po and be done with it. So many wackjobs that could turn a "Hey are you stealing that?" into a fucking blood bath.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Also is Japan around.

(because it's so good)

Our Scotch Broth is veggie, though if we were doing meat it would be lamb or mutton. For it is traditional.

I'm going to put Mutton in it while you're not looking.

But seriously scotch broth is awesome and you're awesome for making it.

stevemarks44 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else surprised Fartacus isn't black?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think Fartacus is a brilliant name.

Silas Brown on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

what i'm saying is that the existence of a crowd- wherein we're defining them as a group of people not necessarily bound by anything more than proximity- doesn't necessarily serve to reinforce the courage of its units

cops know they're in it together

if dave is in a pizza shop and witnesses a wrong (someone catching a beating, a robbery, whatever) carried out by a threatening figure... there's nothing to say that he'll think "well there are 5 other guys in here right now, i'm sure they'll back me up, now i feel safe enough to approach"

true

but in the video linked, many groups of people gathered who collectively started exhibiting aggressive and critical behavior towards the suspected thief

so, they did have something tying them together more than proximity

also people sometimes travel in groups of friends, especially at a park

ah, i didn't watch the video, pardon me.

Organichu on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

So you're more of a tip "Oops I'm sorry unless you liked it" kind of guy?

Oh hey I'm plenty into that. Just not really obssesed with the size of a woman's gluteous maximus

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also is Japan around.

(because it's so good)

well

There is actually such a thing as vegetarian haggis.

It is not in any way similar to actual haggis (which makes perfect sense, when you think about it), but it is actually really quite good.

japan on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Its like the conservatives who attack Pelosi and Clinton on their appearances.

They're older than my grandparents give em a break.

There was a slideshow of various political figures' high school photos floating around a few years ago. Cheney looked like a footbally bully, Bush looked like a pothead slacker, and Pelosi was drop-dead gorgeous. (Granted, she was dressed a little archaically, but still.)

Wow, Nancy Pelosi was absolutely beautiful when she was younger. And she majored in political science, what a surprise

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    hey arch

so I agree that fMRI isn't always treated with the necessary skepticism, especially by the media (again I think it's important to distinguish popular response from professional procedure)

but what do you make of studies like this, then: http://www.physorg.com/news196508066.html -- which demonstrate strong, statistically-significant predictive power based on brain imaging?

If it doesn't signify anything, doesn't it stand to reason that fMRI would struggle to predict anything accurately? Also, I can't help but think of the fMRI imaging efforts where scientists have attenuated fMRI to determine successfully what images or letters people are picturing in their brains

of course in both cases we're talking about researchers using relatively sophisticated statistical techniques, so presumably they're using best practices along the lines recommended in the salmon article,

but personally I don't read stuff like that as "fMRI is bunk" so much as "be careful because it's not hard to mess this shit up."

Fartacus on
    edited January 2011

Seriously, I've called the cops to report crimes or weird shit ain't no thing. I don't confront or hang around. Just call the fucking po po and be done with it. So many wackjobs that could turn a "Hey are you stealing that?" into a fucking blood bath.

I called the cops on a drunk driver once. Watched the cop pull her over too. My friends called me a narc but I felt really good about myself. Shit was dangerous, she was swerving.

stevemarks44 on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Dude, have you seen her bikini photos? She looks good for 35. I'd hit that moldy taco any day.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also the broth was made with ham stock. It isn't veggie.

japan on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Isn't haggis like "here we cooked a sheep inside of itself"

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2011

I've also called the cops on neighbors having what sounded like a domestic dispute.

I get really sick of people trying to use statistics as proof of what I would do.

You don't know me.

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011
    fartacus

i expect that you will send me scans of the new bank... ledger

(please)

Organichu on
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Also is Japan around.

(because it's so good)

well

There is actually such a thing as vegetarian haggis.

It is not in any way similar to actual haggis (which makes perfect sense, when you think about it), but it is actually really quite good.

i

what

is

Arch on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But seriously scotch broth is awesome and you're awesome for making it.

We have it quite a lot; it's one of our regular 4 or 5 soups. Probably because japan is Scottish.

BobCesca on
    edited January 2011
    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else surprised Fartacus isn't black?

No, because black people don't have tons of white guilt exploding out of them constantly. :wink:

Regina Fong on
    edited January 2011

I called the cops on a drunk driver once. Watched the cop pull her over too. My friends called me a narc but I felt really good about myself. Shit was dangerous, she was swerving.

Your friends are fucking idiots. Drunk drivers are god damn dangerous.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You don't know me.

I know you. I've seen your downstairs mix-up.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited January 2011
    what confuses me about that bike theft video is

well

there's nothing that precludes me from stopping that robbery and also fucking her stupid

they are not necessarily exclusive ends

Organichu on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

That jpg must weigh in at 1GB.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.