As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

State of the Union thread - Tuesday (January 25th) at 9 PM

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are there more webstreams besides the White House one? I'll be in class until 9PM and won't have time to hunt them down myself beforehand.

enc0re on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    C-SPAN's is usually pretty good.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would imagine that most of the major news outlets online will carry a stream. The quality of the stream may differ from place to place.

I intend to watch it on msnbc simply because that's the channel on my tv i have memorized

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh good god I was being dumb. I had my mind all wrapped up and thought it was Tuesday already.

Boy was I confused when I couldn't find any stream after coming home.

enc0re on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it is tuesday

MKR on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    will we have a YOU LIE moment this time?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only heckle I will accept would be Kanye West rushing the podium and interrupting the President.

So on a more serious note: what's the deal with the two rebuttals? Did Bachmann just decide to go all mavericky or something and run an unsanctioned one, or did the GOP feel they needed to run with two?

kildy on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    will we have a YOU LIE moment this time?

I kind of doubt it after the Giffords incident, but you can never be sure...

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    The only heckle I will accept would be Kanye West rushing the podium and interrupting the President.

So on a more serious note: what's the deal with the two rebuttals? Did Bachmann just decide to go all mavericky or something and run an unsanctioned one, or did the GOP feel they needed to run with two?

I think Bachmann has gone rogue on this one. I suspect this is part one of her "run for President" plan, a prospect which makes me giggle uncontrollably so I try not to think about it.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yea, the Bachmann one is not GOP-sanctioned. Should be good for the SotU blooper reel.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Yea, the Bachmann one is not GOP-sanctioned. Should be good for the SotU blooper reel.

Which actually makes it the more interesting one.

This should be a fun night, folks! Get the popcorn ready! (but not right now, it will be cold and nasty before the SotU starts).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When are the GOP rebuttals scheduled to take place? Right after the SotU takes place or what?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Hill wrote:
    Only one television network — CNN — plans to air Bachmann's response to President Obama in its entirety, which she'll deliver separately from the official Republican response. She will make her remarks to the Tea Party Express, which will live-stream her speech on its website.

NBC, CBS, ABC and the Fox broadcast network won't air Bachmann's address, according to spokesmen.
    GOP aides are unhappy with the decision, because it risks making the opposition look conflicted -- as if the two are trying to upstage one another -- muddling GOP efforts to offer a unified response.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised MSNBC isn't running her speech, if only to get Mathews' hate-boner all worked up on live TV again.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised MSNBC isn't running her speech, if only to get Mathews' hate-boner all worked up on live TV again.

Matthews is in the shop getting some cogs changed.

MKR on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

YOU ARE NOW ALL THING OF CHRIS MATHEW'S HARD ON

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure if any opposition speech will be better than watching Bobby Jindal's political rise come to a dead stop on national television a few years back.

I sill think Bachmann's handlers will keep her mostly under control, but who knows? Maybe not!

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure if any opposition speech will be better than watching Bobby Jindal's political rise come to a dead stop on national television a few years back.

I sill think Bachmann's handlers will keep her mostly under control, but who knows? Maybe not!

I don't watch rebuttals, what was so bad about Jindal's speech?

Also, any bets when debates come he's called Pee-OOSH Jin-DAL instead of by nickname?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Also, any bets when debates come he's called Pee-OOSH Jin-DAL instead of by nickname?

He was pretty much Howdy Doody.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

He was pretty much Kenneth the Page.

Fixed.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On my god, I can't un-see it now bum.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Remember when the Iraq press guy spent a half hour talking about how the Iraqi army would roll over the invaders?

Like that, but as Elmer Fudd with a speech coach.

MKR on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Also "Why are we wasting money researching volcanoes?" and then WPowkaslspaklzaoKrigstein blew up.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It always stuns me how ill-informed conservatives are on scientific research.

"Why are we wasting money studying fruit flies!?"

In a speech at a place where people were being helped by fruit fly research.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    It always stuns me how ill-informed conservatives are on scientific research.

"Why are we wasting money studying fruit flies!?"

In a speech at a place where people were being helped by fruit fly research.

The volcano thing was just funny though. If there is a god, that was totally god watching the speech, doing a spit-take with his drink of choice, and phoning in a proper response.

But yeah, mostly it was him having absolutely no charisma while trying to be his most charming "you should get to know me and like me" pre-presidential run speech.

Bachmann.. I'm not sure what I think of that. She's basically running her response in the perfect place: direct marketing to the only people it will play well with. It's not going to play much to the base (they won't see it), and won't play much to liberals (again, won't really see it/care), and only really risks being terribly stupid and trying to wedge the tea party away from thinking they're republicans. If anything, the GOP should be helping her write it to make sure it's not either crazy as hell or divisive among their base.

I guess the cynic in me sees value in direct marketing crazy shit to people who want it, if you can keep it out of the spotlight from everyone else.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you're a fan of the crazy, CNN has decided to air Bachmann. Because journalistic standards are for losers.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not going to be home until around 10 tonight, so I'm going to miss big swaths of this.

Hopefully I can find a replay stream on the internet after the fact.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you're a fan of the crazy, CNN has decided to air Bachmann. Because journalistic standards are for losers.

If almost no one else is doing it, I can see why they would. Hell, if nothing else it gives them practically the first shot at any hilarity that crops up.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ut oh. Apparently the main piece to the SOTU tonight is a 5 year budget freeze on discretionary spending.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    galenblade wrote: »
    Ut oh. Apparently the main piece to the SOTU tonight is a 5 year budget freeze on discretionary spending.

How big of an idiot is Obama?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I'm going to say its pandering.

I'll hold judgment until its done.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I feel this may be a heavy drinking SotU if that's accurate.

kildy on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm going to say its pandering.

I'll hold judgment until its done.

I'm really hoping that's a sop he'll be throwing, and not something he's going to actively try for.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's kind of irrelevant as this Congress isn't going to allow increases in spending anyway. Decreases in revenue sure, but not so much with the increases in spending.

And obviously no one will remember the promise when the 113th Congress is seated, hopefully with considerably more liberals.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bush said we were going to go to mars in his SOTU address too.

So wait until stuff actually happens.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No. He shouldn't even be saying it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

No. He shouldn't even be saying it.

ok....

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I usually look forward to political speeches and the like. I even watched every Bush SotU even though I didn't like his presidency. However I'm just not looking forward to some centrist platitudes and reaching across the aisle. Does anyone else feel this way?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I usually look forward to political speeches and the like. I even watched every Bush SotU even though I didn't like his presidency. However I'm just not looking forward to some centrist platitudes and reaching across the isle. Does anyone else feel this way?

Pretty much.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, pretty much.

lonelyahava on
This discussion has been closed.