As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CREATE ON] LittleBigPlanet 2 - It's out! Let's make levels!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Get data out how?

And can't you already make a self-playing piano with the sequencer?
    Well, the idea is more the piano is just a visual for it, the idea being I could hook up any music synthesizer and get an appropriate piano animation.

You can do that. Tags and Object Changers and (I think) Movers can be placed right on the sequencer, just like sounds.

even if they can't be placed on the music sequencer you could just sync up a music and gameplay sequencer.

Speed Racer on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should be picking this up in the next few days. Man, I cant wait to go back and fix all my old levels to be decent.

Mr Pink on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Working on a sackbot enemy right now and I'm having 2 problems:

1) I want the sackbot to patrol until Sackboy gets close to him and then to chase him until Sackboy gets out of range. I can make it switch from patrol to chase mode no problem, but I don't know how to make it revert to patrol mode once I leave it's detection radius.

2) Is there any way to make a sackbot damaging to touch without giving it a visible effect, or would that involve a lot of dicking around with impact sensors?

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Italax wrote: »

1) I want the sackbot to patrol until Sackboy gets close to him and then to chase him until Sackboy gets out of range. I can make it switch from patrol to chase mode no problem, but I don't know how to make it revert to patrol mode once I leave it's detection radius.

2) Is there any way to make a sackbot damaging to touch without giving it a visible effect, or would that involve a lot of dicking around with impact sensors?

Not sure about number 1, but for number two you could have the player being controlled by a sackbot that falls apart when an impact sensor on it is triggered by an enemy.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011

Not sure about number 1, but for number two you could have the player being controlled by a sackbot that falls apart when an impact sensor on it is triggered by an enemy.

That's what I was thinking of doing, but in the end I've just shoved an electricity effect onto one of the enemies because it kinda works with them.

Is there a way to get sackbots to spawn with creatinators and make it impossible for the player to pick that creatinator up? I wanna give an enemy a projectile but I don't wanna let the players have it. I might just try using an emitter instead.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finally aced everything, and I think I've grabbed everything that doesn't require co-op.

Getting the rest would be a lot easier if every random player didn't refuse or time out when I try to connect.

I need more stuff to build with!

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nickle wrote: »
    Finally aced everything, and I think I've grabbed everything that doesn't require co-op.

Getting the rest would be a lot easier if every random player didn't refuse or time out when I try to connect.

Ditto on the timing out. I'm not that far through the story yet to worry about getting the Multiplayer stuff.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ooh ooh add me to the OP please! PSN: captaindino

I might try to make something for the contest, we'll see how I feel about it. I'm still trying to ace a bunch of levels and get stuff I've missed.

Plus, I've got a really neat versus level idea that I started last night that might take up all my time if I get inspired or something.

hatedinamerica on
    edited January 2011
    okay, starting to play with the acceleration now

I have a completely weightless square with zero damping. It's got a mover set to a speed of 1.0. It can't move unless the acceleration is greater than 10%.

In fact, even when set to 100 it needs an acceleration of at least 11% to move.

Deceleration can never be more than acceleration.

At 11% acceleration and a speed of 1, the square took 3.55 seconds to cross the first standard block, 1.5 seconds to cross the second, 1.15 to cross the third, and one second to cross the fourth. In other words, by the time it reached the end of the third block and the beginning of the fourth, it was at its maximum velocity of 1 block per second. so it went from 0 to 1 in 6.2 seconds, which comes out to a rate of acceleration of about .16 blocks per second per second.

boosting the mover's speed up to two but keeping the acceleration at 11%, it once again takes exactly 6.2 seconds to reach both the fourth block and the speed of 1 second per block. This even holds if we set the speed to 100. In other words, the acceleration setting is completely independent of the velocity setting, which might seem counterintuitive based on the fact that the acceleration has a percentage sign next to it!

so, now upping the acceleration to 12% and the speed back to 1. it took only 4.6 seconds for it to reach 1 block per second this time, meaning the acceleration is about .22 blocks per second per second. Doing it again with 13% acceleration, it went from 0 to 1 in 3.6 seconds, or it had an acceleration of .27 blocks per second per second. This got boring but it looks like it's safe to assume that every percentage point adds approximately .05 to the acceleration, with a minimum of .16 blocks per second per second at 11%.

This may not be exactly right, because it's actually really hard to get any more granularity than I already have, which is insufficient for working out the acceleration beyond those numbers. It's probably workable as a rule of thumb though?

one thing worth pointing out is that it looks like acceleration may partially be based on size? The square I used was the size of a standard square, but at one point I tried to shrink it down for some boring reasons. with the acceleration at 100% it took the same amount of time as the big square to reach the end of the track, but with the acceleration at 11% it took an extra .2 seconds, in spite of the fact that it was lined up with where the bigger square's far edge would have been. So take that into consideration I guess.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone play this with a headset on multiplayer? I'll be down for some online sack boy shenanigans tomorrow night and Thursday night (GMT) if anyone's about.

Mr_Grinch on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fact that it takes longer though doesn't make sense, unless the force applied to the block is somehow tied to its mass.

One way to test it would be to make a bunch of different-sized blocks, give them all the same mover values, and then see how long it takes each to reach the same distance.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited January 2011
    I'm having a hard time making this circus look like a circus :(

Italax on
    edited January 2011
    I'm having a hard time making this circus look like a circus :(

Remember, lots of primary colors (especially reds and yellows), stars and lots of tents.

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    Fat stripes are good for a circus too

Speed Racer on
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn, I was just going to use the contests to focus my level creation and get my feet wet for the stuff I really want to tackle.

I'm currently doing storyboards for the cinamatics I plan on using. I also spent the better part of sevral hours last night making the rides in my theme park actually work realistically.

So much for "getting my feet wet".

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Almost done with the basics of the level. All that's left is cutscenes, and sprucing it all up so it doesn't look like the lame template it currently is. Anyone have any basic advice when it comes to doing big cutscenes? Like, things to watch for?

Also, add me to the OP.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »

Ditto on the timing out. I'm not that far through the story yet to worry about getting the Multiplayer stuff.
    I was having the same problem, but it's been a lot better for me the past couple days. I'm not sure if Mm did something with the servers or something or if it was coincidence, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited January 2011
    maybe someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having

I'm working on the jumping ability for my sackbot. for now I'm tweaking how high he jumps when he's standing still. I want him to be able to jump a height of five blocks, and I want the jump to take 1 second, one going up and one going down. I also want how long you hold the x button to control just how high you jump.

The obvious way to do this to me was to set gravity so that falling from a height of five blocks, you'll hit the ground in point five seconds. Then make the "jump" a mover with 100% acceleration set to 10 blocks per second, activated by a timer which goes for .5 seconds and which gets reset by releasing the x button. The problem is that, even when the mover is turned off, sackboy retains momentum from it and gets shot up a bit higher than he should. Reducing the power makes the jump slower, and reducing the timer while upping the power gives you less control over the jump height.

The idea I've got for the time being is that when the timer runs out it triggers a dampener for a split second that instantly kills all of your inertia before letting gravity take hold. strictly speaking this works, but it's a sloppy solution that makes the jump less fluid-looking, as though sackboy's hitting his head on something, and what's worse is that it temporarily takes away your ability to maneuver horizontally. Anyone got something better I could use?

One idea I'm thinking of, is that to my untrained eye, it seems like mario's jump height is set to a specific number of tiles. The speed of his jump is also not uniform, it slows down due to the force of gravity. You would get a similar effect if you made hitting the jump button instantaneously trigger a very powerful mover and just let sackboy's momentum carry him up to the correct height, but you'd lose the ability to control how strong the jump is. so, my solution is to have multiple movers. Mario looks like he approximately moves upward at 15 tiles per second for the first three tiles, then drops to 10 tiles per second while crossing the second tile, then finally takes .2 seconds to go through the final tile before he starts to drop. The acceleration could potentially be a more continuous value than that but at the very least this seems correct. If it is, I could possibly have three movers that trigger; one which goes for .2 seconds and rockets you up the first three blocks, then a slower one which lasts for .1 second while you get through tile four, then finally one that lasts for .2 seconds that eases you up to your full height before letting gravity do its work. Essentially, simulate the effect of deceleration due to gravity.

That seems like it could work but it's making a lot of assumptions about how mario works, mostly that he instantenously decelerates at certain points along his jump instead of having a continuous decelerating effect that would be more in line with real-world physics.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Fat stripes are good for a circus too

Fuck this is what I was missing.

Looks much better now.

Italax on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fact that it takes longer though doesn't make sense, unless the force applied to the block is somehow tied to its mass.

The force is determined by its mass, I think.

It seems that the game figures out how much force is needed based on the object's mass and the mover's speed values.
    Try attaching a mover to a hologram, then bolting the hologram to a small solid object. The hologram won't be able to move, even at high speed values, because the force from the mover is so low.

In other news: this thread makes me extremely sad that I don't have enough time to do anything with this game. :cry:

Tig on
    edited January 2011
    Think I've added everyone to the op that's asked, please prod me if I haven't.

Going to be playing some more of story mode tonight if anyone would like to join me. It's my first play through though so don't expect me to know the ins and outs of level!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011
    that idea I posted didn't seem to work. It just sort of compounds the problem.

I really wish that there was a way to make it so that movers didn't ignore the influence of gravity. I'm pretty much stumped here. It seems like I need two mutually exclusive things to happen to make this jump function right.

This might be something I need to shelve for the time being. This was a ridiculously complicated idea to jump into right away. I am still pretty jazzed that I made all the logic work to give you different heights for when you jump while standing, walking, and running through.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    that idea I posted didn't seem to work. It just sort of compounds the problem.

I really wish that there was a way to make it so that movers didn't ignore the influence of gravity. I'm pretty much stumped here. It seems like I need two mutually exclusive things to happen to make this jump function right.

This might be something I need to shelve for the time being. This was a ridiculously complicated idea to jump into right away. I am still pretty jazzed that I made all the logic work to give you different heights for when you jump while standing, walking, and running through.

What if you ignore gravity entirely, and make your own with movers?

And sometimes it does help to shelve things for a while to think about it. Don't want to burn yourself out just working on one concept for weeks :)

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    yeah I thought about that. The problem is that either the math I did when working out what percentages represent what accelerations on the movers was wrong, which is likely, or I would have to set the acceleration way higher than what you're actually allowed to. acceleration due to gravity is a hard thing to emulate with a mechanic designed primarily to set certain velocities.

I do have one more idea though that I haven't tried yet. The reason he doesn't lose momentum when jumping is because the acceleration is set to 100%. That means two things. The first is obvious: an object moving slower than the set speed will instantaneously move at the assigned speed when the mover is activated. The second is that as long as the mover is activated, you can never go slower than the assigned speed. The solution then, might be to have the jump button activate two movers. One which goes off for just a split second and has the right velocity set to 100% acceleration. The other has the same velocity but set to 0% acceleration, so that the object's weight can cancel out the mover over time.

That actually might give some more insight into how the acceleration works. Maybe the actual rate of acceleration is constant, and what the setting changes is the minimum speed of the object, expressed as a percentage of the set speed, and when the mover activates it instantaneously jumps to that speed then accelerates as normal

oh, wait, no, I forgot that changing the speed doesn't affect the rate of acceleration. Oh well.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    I got bored and tried to make Pacman.

And now I have an idea for a bouncing character and I'm going to go and do that. This game is so great.

Edit: Oh god I actually got it fucking working. Now I have a character that will jump twice his height into the air if he jumps immediately after landing from a previous jump. I need to tweak it maybe so I can get a little bit more horizontal momentum into the jump, but apart from that it works fucking perfectly. Gonna try and create a triple jump now :o

Annoyingly, it also works as kind of a pseudo-walljump. I managed to get round that by butting an tag impact sensor on the sackbot and a tag on every wall I don't want him walljumping up.

For anyone interested, here's how it works:

Sackbot with a Remote Control Controlinator

First thing is an impact sensor with a Inverted Input, so it's active when sackboy is in the air. This leads into a counter with a limit of one, so the counter fills whenever sackboy is in the air The counter leads into a forwards/backwards timer set to 0.1 seconds.

There is another impact sensor that tells when you're on the ground. This resets the counter back to 0. This impact sensor and an impact sensor set to a tag both going into a XOR gate, which goes into an AND gate along with the 0.1 second counter.

This AND gate feeds into another counter, which lasts for 0.2 seconds. This counter leads into an AND gate with the jump button from the controllinator. This last AND gate going into a upward mover, set to be as powerful as you want the jump.

Italax on
    edited January 2011
    Oh, and if you guys haven't played it yet:

Legend of Zelda Dungeon #1

This shows some of LBP2's real potential as a game-making engine. It's not a sorta-kinda remake, it plays almost exactly like the original Zelda.

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    yeah that Zelda level was neat. I was surprised it made Mm's Picks since it was copyright infringing

there were a few niggling things that bugged me about it but overall it was definitely impressive.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Bah, having to rig up a custom set of checkpoints for my sackbot since they can't use the regular ones.

Italax on
    edited January 2011
    Alright I've got this working to an acceptable degree I think. What I ended up doing was having it so that pushing the X button shot you upwards, but releasing it both turned the mover off and turned on another mover pushing downwards with the same speed and acceleration for a split second, which has the effect of canceling your vertical momentum without touching your horizontal momentum. It's not perfect but it essentially works.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Alright I've got this working to an acceptable degree I think. What I ended up doing was having it so that pushing the X button shot you upwards, but releasing it both turned the mover off and turned on another mover pushing downwards with the same speed and acceleration for a split second, which has the effect of canceling your vertical momentum without touching your horizontal momentum. It's not perfect but it essentially works.

Sounds like a better workaround than the Dampener thing. Can't wait to see it applied to an actual level.

Have you gotten around to improving air control yet? No rush ;-)

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011

Sounds like a better workaround than the Dampener thing. Can't wait to see it applied to an actual level.

Have you gotten around to improving air control yet? No rush ;-)

Not yet but honestly I don't know how much there is to improve. at least with a standing jump Sackboy can make it just as far as mario can now. It might be that the floatiness was just the fact that he wasn't jumping up as fast as he should have been, which is resolved now. I dunno though I'll tinker with it.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    I think I must be the only one, but I'm getting a little bored of the story mode and much preferred LBP1 in that respect. I love me some platforming, which is the main reason I bought it (and the main type of level I'll be building) but the last however many worlds I can remember have been pretty tedious side scrolling/upwards scrolling shooters. It's all very charming but it feels a little like a collection of mini games.

I'm on the caterpillar one and I'm finding it tedious. I think I must be broken.

::edit:: Huzzah, after saying that I'm now on a platforming level.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011
    yeah the asylum has lots of cool platforming

also, I just introduced custom air controls to mario. It had a much more dramatic effect on how it feels than I was expecting, it looks to me like it works really well now. Right now it only works for stationary jumps but when I get back from work it's basically just a matter of copy pasting everything onto my other two jumps.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    yeah the asylum has lots of cool platforming

also, I just introduced custom air controls to mario. It had a much more dramatic effect on how it feels than I was expecting, it looks to me like it works really well now. Right now it only works for stationary jumps but when I get back from work it's basically just a matter of copy pasting everything onto my other two jumps.

Yeah, air control (IMO) is almost as important as jump height. Very glad to hear it's working well :^:

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    welp I just locked myself out of my car and popalock can't get here for over an hour so I guess I got time after all

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    What are you using for better air controls btw? I'd be interested in having a fiddle around with my sackbots air movement as well.

Italax on
    edited January 2011
    What are you using for better air controls btw? I'd be interested in having a fiddle around with my sackbots air movement as well.

First, I made an AND switch with two inputs. One is the dpad from the controllinator that receive's the player's actions, and the other is an impact switch which turns on whenever you touch a surface tagged as "ground." This makes it so that whenever you jump, you no longer have horizontal movement controls.

Then, I made an advanced mover that gets turned on when you leave the ground and push left or right on the dpad, and hooked the same dpad up to it as the one I did to the AND switch. Then it's just a matter of tweaking the speed on it until it works how you want it to.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm, should be pretty simple to put into mine now then since I already have it set up to say when it's off the ground or not.

Italax on
    edited January 2011
    They really need to allow you to post comments and reviews directly on lbp.me

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2011
    I have been trying community levels today. There are some god awful ones.

Although someone made hungry-hungry hippos. That was worth it just for the laugh.

Italax on