As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See, while I'm put off by the shameless immaturity, I have to respect that it knows what it is and they're going for it all-out. There's plenty of games that want to be taken seriously and claim to be highbrow and mature, but are doing so to an audience of 15-year-olds. Bulletstorm here knows exactly how serious it is, and doesn't care if you're offended by its brazen childishness. Like it or not, at least it's honest.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bear with the video. What they describe sounds really awesome.

Really

Awesome.

This is front page on PA. I can't believe no one is talking about this. I think I'm looking forward to this over any other shooter coming down the pipe.

Drake on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, when this game comes out, there needs to be a PA group set-up.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    This is front page on PA. I can't believe no one is talking about this. I think I'm looking forward to this over any other shooter coming down the pipe.

There are some (seemingly) really good upcoming shooters and I really have no idea which I want the most. There's this, Brink, Crysis 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Duke Nukem Forever. Personally I'm not that excited about Duke, but I want those four others roughly equally.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So there's going to be a demo tomorrow.

I'm very much looking forward to nether regions kills.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The demo is awesome, game handles well and the hit detection, weapons and intensity of the visuals is great, but I wish I could map that run/sprint to left stick instead of the A button, I don't like having to take my hand off the right stick for any button that needs to be held instead of merely pressed. Hopefully the full game will have fully customizeable controls... I found the Alt control option to be better than the default one that was presented initially.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It takes a little getting used to actively looking for ways to creatively slaughter while being shot at, but once you get a groove going it's easy and fun to become a berserker-packing man-and-a-half, kicking enemies to dust and then blowing up the dust just to be sure.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, no PC demo?

Klash on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Score, 10440, rank 409. :D

And I still got a good ways to improve.

EDIT:

Make that rank 135, score 11640. x_X
    I found the beer.

But Goddamn, this is going to be a day 1 for me. And yeah, the acting is corny, but it's not trying to be something it's not. I think it's perfect for what the game's all about. Sadistic massacre.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whats your guys secrets for high-scores? Any skill shots you've seen that take some setting-up? I think I hit like 6500 as my top score but I see the Global boards have guys sitting at 18K+

This might be the first game I buy new in a while.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    User the thumper. 3 times before the resupply, and 3 times after. I like to set em on fire with the flair, thump them in the air, and then pick em apart with the magnum. That bumps me up a bit. And with the tube section, use it there too instead of the minigun or just using the elevator to wipe em out.

Get vertigo bonuses and Voodoos too. And don't forget leashing the door in the beginning with an enemy under it.

Oh, and the booze. Just after the electric cable part. By the way, touching the cables loses you score.
    ...yeah. :(

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blah its only available for XBL gold right now and isn't up on PSN yet.

Lep on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And XBL is down right now...so I couldn't upload my latest score. Shit. ><

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    So, no PC demo?

No, and if it bothers anybody then the devs find that amusing as all get-out.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok, XBL back up, and rank... 57! 12kish score.

Takes some damn precision to get some of these combos down.

Also, I found that your score is lowered for 2 reasons.

A) You took damage, and you lose points based on the the lowest amount of health you had at any one time.
    B) You paused. Yep, if you pause once, you lose a chunk of points. No more loss after the first pause of the level.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those bastards!

Up to like 7600, and I KNOW I'm getting hit so thats not helping. Where's the booze at exactly and what does it do?

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh lord, I'm stopping.

14.5k, rank 12. If I keep going I'm going to kill myself from insanity or sheer disappointment.

The booze is after the swing electric cables that shock you and are incredibly hard to dodge, and just before the next room with enemies. It's just to the left of the hole in the wall that leads to the room.

Drink it and you get drunk, REALLY drunk. And every kill is worth 100 extra points. It lasts about 10-15 seconds.

My shining moment was just before the fallen elevator tube. Before I went in I prepped the flare on the revolver, then equipped the flail. I made a mad dash and slid to the elevator call button behind the cover. I waited, another, and another came down the shaft. When there were about 8-9 of them, I took a deep breath, brought my gun around the wall, and fired a bola right into the middle of the pack.

Then I switched to the revolver and fired a flair into the same thug who just received his gag order. Then I leashed, held the button, and slammed down the thumper throwing each and every one of them into the ceiling. It was a moment later that the timer on the first bola finally ran down, and exploded in the middle of all of them.

That little ditty got me 2200 points in a single explosion.

I think I'll just end my demo career as #12 in the world. Can't wait for the real thing!

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is way more fun than it should be. I'll be damned if this doesn't appeal to the inner psychopath.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So, no PC demo?

I don't get it. Is there a technical reason for this? Why would my being chaffed at being slighted, be amusing?

I kinda wanted to put boot to face to bullet to butthole.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, no PC demo?

I don't get it. Is there a technical reason for this? Why would my being chaffed at being slighted, be amusing?

Don't ask me, ask CliffyB.

As for why there's no PC demo, same excuses as always get offered up I imagine, lack of resources blah blah...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The demo is awesome, game handles well and the hit detection, weapons and intensity of the visuals is great, but I wish I could map that run/sprint to left stick instead of the A button, I don't like having to take my hand off the right stick for any button that needs to be held instead of merely pressed. Hopefully the full game will have fully customizeable controls... I found the Alt control option to be better than the default one that was presented initially.

When you sprint like that, you have some turning ability with the left stick. I hate "a" to sprint too, but with limited turning radius you don't really need it on the left stick click.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    NerdyHeritageNerdyHeritage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game was pretty much going to be a day one purchase for me, before the demo.

After the demo, I am wondering if I can swing a day off even though PAXe is around the corner.

NerdyHeritage on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS: 0775 9129 1567 Black: 3267 4422 1986
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I didn't have much interest in this until I gave the demo a try. It certainly has my attention now.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, no PC demo?

As for why there's no PC demo, same excuses as always get offered up I imagine, lack of resources blah blah...

See, when other developers give a middle finger to PC gamers, they at least try to make up a bullshit, PR excuse. Bleszinski just goes straight to "QQ moar" territory like a champ.

I like how later on his Twitter feed, he brings up how it's coming on Steam, as if to tell off the grumpy PC gamers who inevitably complained. It's like bragging "We're selling it on Wal-Mart, assholes, stop complaining!" Total non sequitur.

Of course, he also then said EA marketing should be given raises for the Dead Space 2 mom ad, so I don't know why I'm giving a cursory consideration to anything that comes out from his virtual mouth.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Of course, he also then said EA marketing should be given raises for the Dead Space 2 mom ad, so I don't know why I'm giving a cursory consideration to anything that comes out from his virtual mouth.

What are you talking about, the Dead Space 2 mom ad is the most brilliant piece of video game marketing since the Dragon Age "sex and violence" campaign.

God that was probably the same people responsible for both.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I get that Bulletstorm's over-the-top machismo is supposed to be ironic, which is why I don't mind it at all. But CliffyB strikes me as someone who takes its blatant bullshit completely straight at face value.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I get that Bulletstorm's over-the-top machismo is supposed to be ironic, which is why I don't mind it at all. But CliffyB strikes me as someone who takes its blatant bullshit completely straight at face value.

It's not really ironic. It's over-the-top for the sake of being over-the-top, not because it's making fun of the fact it's over-the-top. If that makes any sense.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I don't think it's supposed to be ironic.

I think it's just supposed to be purposefully over the top gratuitous.

Tried the demo. Controls and everything are wonderful.

I just, personally, really cannot stand the atmosphere and attitude of the game.

Give me the mechanics in something a little less coarse and in your face and I'd be all over it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Give me the mechanics in something a little less coarse and in your face and I'd be all over it.

Madworld?

I don't know what it is about this game. Every time I see footage I just see it as Madworld with guns. And colors. I guess it doesn't help that Blum is the main character in both.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can respect any game not up it's own ass in seriousgrimdarksavedauniversDRAMA. Hopefully this will be a tasty appetizer for DNF.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like that this game thinks cover is for the weak. Should be good warm up for DNF and then Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. To a Space Marine...cover is that thing you have to stomp through to ram your chainsaw sword throug Ork Face.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, no PC demo?

Oh. Cliff. So long as it isn't PCF being pounces, I don't care. Its not secret that Cliff is a pounce. I can't think of a title related to Epic since Jazz Jackrabbit, that I cared about in the least.

Seriously, they need to get that to GoG. I'd kill for Jazz Jackrabbit.

Klash on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Word has it that DNF is going to be 17 hours long. Any word on how long this thing of beuaty will grace our screens?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz Jackrabbit is freeware I think, along with the rest of Epic's old games.

I got 686th place, with 10600 points on my best run. I'm really liking the lots of health you have, and the nice meaty weapons that you don't have to look down the sights for at all.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm at 493 last I check with a little under 13K.

EDIT: Holy crap, the PMC is a railgun on secondary.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Word has it that DNF is going to be 17 hours long. Any word on how long this thing of beuaty will grace our screens?

I'm thinking this won't be too long of a game. Maybe 6-8 hours to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tried to run through the demo, but I clipped through a wall and ended up outside the world on my first run. Couldn't get back in and didn't really feel the need to restart the level. Mediocre shooter, IMO.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tried to run through the demo, but I clipped through a wall and ended up outside the world on my first run. Couldn't get back in and didn't really feel the need to restart the level. Mediocre shooter, IMO.

I would really reccomend trying again. I found it very fun.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh. Cliff. So long as it isn't PCF being pounces, I don't care. Its not secret that Cliff is a pounce. I can't think of a title related to Epic since Jazz Jackrabbit, that I cared about in the least.

Me too. When I first read that Epic put their games up on Steam I was very disappointed to find that it was only the Unreal games and not anything from before then.
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Jazz Jackrabbit is freeware I think, along with the rest of Epic's old games.

I know that Tyrian and One Must Fall 2097 have been made freeware, but I haven't heard of anything like that with Jazz Jackrabbit.

Peewi on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, no PC demo?

Wow that is seriously dickish. Why can't we have a demo? I'd say it's more important for users to have a PC demo than a console demo simply to be able to see if their computer can run the game well. Console demos spur sales, PC demos do that and let us know if we can even play it. The game is supposed to be setup for 3D, so I'd at the very least like to see how well the 3D looks and runs on my system before dropping 50-60 bucks. It's not a crime to not have a demo, but it is to rub it in our faces that consoles get it and we don't.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/