As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI thread with totally outdated OP

• Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Here's my UI .

If you're happy with it and it's functional by all means do what you want, but a few comments:

- It looks like you have just about everything you need keybound. If so and you want to clean it up you really don't need to have all the buttons on the screen. You just need to know when stuff is off cooldown, for that you could use something like SexyCooldown, ForteXorcist, Cooldowntimers, or anything similar depending on what you like. I still keep maybe one or two small bars visible with OmniCC to know when some things are off cooldown (mostly my primary bar where I have common things and yeah, still helps for Enhancement, plus random vehicle crap) but otherwise most stuff is just hidden. You could also get ButtonFacade and make sure all the various buttons that you do show (some people just like a bunch on there no matter what) either look cleaner or are all consistent. You can bind everything either on hidden Dominos bars, or something like Bindpad/Spellbinder which I find a lot easier.

- You've got different textures on everything. Quartz, Unit Frames, Healbot, Grid, Recount, nameplates, DBM, etc. (I think each one is different, or close). Those can all be configured to use the same bar and border textures giving everything a cleaner consistent look. Tinytip can have its textures/borders set too but I don't see one in the screenshot.

- You can get all the fonts consistent too through addon config. You could also get Fontain which will change the font of most everything to be the same.

- Your target of target (or whatever that is) clips your map. That would drive me nuts :)

- MinimapButtonBag is pretty awesome and rolls all the minimap buttons into one. There are other addons that do similar things to clean that up.

- I think those are default nameplates? If you got everything else to a consistent texture you could get a nameplate addon to make that the same too.

Most of that stuff is cosmetic which you may or may not care about, but I find things looking nicer/more clean is a nice touch and easier to look at. You might want/need SharedMedia or something similar for more texture/border/font options.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Because this thread needs more UI pics.

Always open to critisim / sugestions

The quest objectives has since been moved under the buff bar.

Target goes to the right of grid, but honestly 99.8% of my target watching is in grid boxes anyway.

WoWScrnShot_122110_194411-1.jpg

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Here's my UI .
    Suggestions
    I don't really care about font/texture consistency. Certain textures are specifically different in order to be visually distinct and pop.

Due to continuous spec changes/profession changes so far this expansion my bars have actually been undergoing a lot of change which is why absolutely everything is shown. That awkward-as-fuck buff icon under my target-of-target and the map clipping issue are because my focus and target share the same settings and I did a quick hack fix so I could see Al'Akir's buff stacks while managing his adds for that fight. Lots of little things like that are why my bars are still in flux.

I'll take a look at that minimap button mod and you've reminded me to get a new nameplate mod after that tragic bit of time in WotLK where they were completely broken and I had to delete mine. Thanks.

JAEF on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's weird getting attached to addons for no real reason

I started using azcasting bar when ecastingbar wasn't updated. now ecastingbar has been updated (some time ago but I just looked through the last month or so of updates on curse) and I almost want to go back even though the only change would be that it would take 5 minutes to set up. they come out the exact same in the end.

weird.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my-ui.jpg

I mostly prefer UI's to make things easier for me to see, rather than do and to eliminate clutter on the screen. Outside of combat, all that information in the center of the window goes away.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Pretty much just Macaroon and Docking Station.
    H8laX.jpg

edit: ...as soon as Dropbox unfucks itself.

editedit: rehosted.

Echo on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    it's weird getting attached to addons for no real reason

I started using azcasting bar when ecastingbar wasn't updated. now ecastingbar has been updated (some time ago but I just looked through the last month or so of updates on curse) and I almost want to go back even though the only change would be that it would take 5 minutes to set up. they come out the exact same in the end.

weird.

I should really get something better than x-perl for unit frames

but I've always used it, ever since I started using add ons :(

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have too much poop on my screen and I need a nice place to keep a big fat grid for healing:
    xcnb4z.jpg

FortExorcist is already clipping over IceHUD annoyingly but I like it there to track my CDs. I really need to put grid or something in there, maybe make my action bars much smaller?

Walt on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WoWScrnShot_012211_160045.jpg

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yarrr, that font would drive me nuts.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    everything italic, all the time oh god

e: my head is now tilting 7 degrees to the right ahhh

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's for extra super emphasis that he can use all the time.

Just like this.

ALL DAY EVERY DAY

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    my-ui.jpg

I mostly prefer UI's to make things easier for me to see, rather than do and to eliminate clutter on the screen. Outside of combat, all that information in the center of the window goes away.

I really like this setup. I may have to steal it. What addon is it you're using for the hp in the centre?

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Stew_Stick wrote: »
    my-ui.jpg

I really like this setup. I may have to steal it. What addon is it you're using for the hp in the centre?

IceHUD - Health bars
    TinyDPS - Top left corner
    Chatter - Chat window
    Dominos - ActionBars
    TitanBar - General information at bottom

I customized mine a lot though using dogtags to get rid of mana/rage/energy bars. Less clutter when all I need is a number under my hp.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here you go UI thread. My shiny new UI setup (note: caster form in feral spec for illustration purposes only, normally I would just destroy that mob). Grid would be above the focus frame on the left, and Omen goes in the bottom right corner.
    wowscrnshot012211170107.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stew_Stick wrote: »
    my-ui.jpg[img][/img]

IceHUD - Health bars
    TinyDPS - Top left corner
    Chatter - Chat window
    Dominos - ActionBars
    TitanBar - General information at bottom

I customized mine a lot though using dogtags to get rid of mana/rage/energy bars. Less clutter when all I need is a number under my hp.

Awesome, thanks.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I still need to find a way to use dogtags to remove the 0/0 that shows up if the mob doesn't use anything at all though. It's a nitpick, but it bothers me sometimes lol.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    that's right italics

I guess that really detracted from any other reaction my ui might have gotten

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the locations of your buffs and currencies seem kind of strange, but whatever works for you, of course

is there any way you could color code the buff bars? that might be neat

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fixed up my UI today after hating that I didn't have a decent one:

WoWScrnShot_012311_183018.jpg

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love your personal and target frames

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I love your personal and target frames

Thanks, and it's also the exact same setup for pet and party, except those are just smaller in height compared to personal and target.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, you know what I miss about Vanilla?

Discord Unit Frames, Discord Action Bars. Those two mods made happier than any other UI I have used since.

I downloaded pitbull, and it just isnt the same - I want to separately configure my target, focus, and own health bars but it just wont let me do it. For example, I do not want to see my on buffs and debufs on my character bars - I just want to see them on my focus and target. Pitbull just configures it for all frames, regardless. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good UI mod that will let me do this, or am I SOOL?

I think you'll like Shadowed Unit Frames. The look and feel of Pitbull with a lot of the annoyances of Pitbull either removed or handled. You can most definitely resize each individual frame to fit your needs.

I loved Discord, but I don't see how Dominos is any worse. I love it 100 times better because I'm not moving individual bars by individual pixels to get them to line up properly (that kind of stuff always irks me). And I love SUF and even XPerl so much better than Discord UF. Again, this goes to ease of use.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want to separately configure my target, focus, and own health bars but it just wont let me do it. For example, I do not want to see my on buffs and debufs on my character bars - I just want to see them on my focus and target. Pitbull just configures it for all frames, regardless. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good UI mod that will let me do this, or am I SOOL?
    Pitbull allows you to do this. You can assign different "profiles" to each unit frame (self, pet, party, etc.) so that they are all identical or each one has its own customization. Last time I tried SUF it just didn't have the customization options to let me set up unit frames how I wanted them. Pitbull is a bit involved, but is hands down the best in terms of complete customization.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    pitbull is amazing

Variable on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah pitbull can basically do everything you could ever want your unitframes to do. Not exaggerating.

I do think the 4.0 GUI is kind of a step backward, though. I like that they let you duplicate layouts between frame categories, but the whole thing is just really counter-intuitive to use, and it still has the problem of a lot of config options being in really weird, obscure places.

Plus the tag editing window is tiny and that's annoying.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There are certainly some things that could be labeled better or put in less obscure subcategories but for the amount of different customization options it has, it's surprisingly approachable.

JAEF on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wowscrnshot012511165053.jpg

one I'll have a ui I'm perfectly happy with

one day

Shabooty on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been saying that for 6 years.

Walt on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need to take a screenshot of mine one of these days. Also figure out how to fit grid into it, assuming I'm going to heal raids.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There's something about HUDs that I just don't like. I don't like something filling up my screen around my character..Feels weird when there is something there.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    started playing wow again back in december after not playing since pre-bc

wowscrnshot012411004025.jpg

I don't know how you guys can stand having so much shit on your screen. especially putting the giant black bars at the bottom to put stuff in, it cuts out so much of your view!

HUD only shows when I'm hurt or in combat or targeting

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I used IceHUD for a while, but in the end I decided I didn't like the way it displays information other than health/castbar (buff/debuffs, shards, cooldowns, etc.) It just felt really cluttered.

What do you guys use to mod your minimaps? I recall that I used to have a mod that would let you modify/move the texts for zone, coordinates and so on, but I can't remember what it was or find it again.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    See I don't have that much information on my screens and the majority of stuff I do have is streamlined into the bar on the bottom that way the entirety of my screen that isn't a bar is completely clean so I can see everything.
    E: I use sexymap cause all I have to do is select SimpleSquare preload and I'm done with it.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I used IceHUD for a while, but in the end I decided I didn't like the way it displays information other than health/castbar (buff/debuffs, shards, cooldowns, etc.) It just felt really cluttered.

What do you guys use to mod your minimaps? I recall that I used to have a mod that would let you modify/move the texts for zone, coordinates and so on, but I can't remember what it was or find it again.

I use sexymap

it's surprisingly sexy

Variable on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here is what I use:

wowscrnshot012511201831.jpg

I like it.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey I had some addon for picking quest rewards and such last time I played that just gave a rough item score based on weighting stats and can't find anything simple like that on curse now or remember what it was called. Anyone got any ideas?

L|ama on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EquivalencePoints? I think it's been broken for ages. It's not really necessary with the changes to stat allocation, though.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I just looked at the second post and saw that. I basically just want anything that removes the thinking from picking quest rewards and such though, largely so I don't get so upset about throwing away my fancy purple shit for vastly better greens.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the rule for cata is that pure stats, and therefore higher ilevels, are better than ratings

other than that, just pick the stuff with the highest vendor price

Nerdgasmic on