As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed by Media Molecule - Will be a FULL GAME creator

1131415161719»

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do what you want, even if it's already been done. Just because you think it's better than yours doesn't mean everyone else will think so. I'm working on a space level and I'm sure that's been done no less than a million times.
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Whoa man. this game is going to eat my life. I played LBP and had a few levels, but this is... Well, it's just super. I finished the story levels, went through the tutorials to learn the new features and now I'm ready to rock.

I think a level contest is just what I need. I have some really great ideas I want to try out, but i want to bang out a starter level or two to get my feet wet. A level contest would get me focused in the right direction I think.

Also, aside from level contests I think a movie contest would be pretty cool as well.

I want to get in on a contest as well. Let's see. It's the end of January, almost February. We could do winter levels, Valentine's Day levels <3. Any other ideas?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boom! Competition time, in a fresh new thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18090667#post18090667

Also sorry to Anoffday, I just saw your post now. I'm happy to change my suggested theme if people would prefer :)

I started a new thread in the hope that the title would attract a few more people.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'm seriously surprised there isn't a 'LBP2 is out now' thread. I actually forgot the game was out until my neighbor bought it.

Now I'm starting to see the commercials on TV though.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's unfortunate about the Randomizer not working properly.

As soon as I did the tutorial for it I thought "Hello, random loot tables for monsters in an RPG" but I guess that'll have to wait.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how is the jumping in this game? A lot of the times LBP1 was very frustrating because it felt really floaty to me, and making precise jumps was exhausting!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    So how is the jumping in this game? A lot of the times LBP1 was very frustrating because it felt really floaty to me, and making precise jumps was exhausting!

It's identical

with logic though you can basically program whatever jumping you want into the game. I just finished making a sackbot that controls like Mario from SMB1.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welp, finished the main game. now to start with the creator and picking up all the stickers and stuff I missed.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

It's identical

with logic though you can basically program whatever jumping you want into the game. I just finished making a sackbot that controls like Mario from SMB1.

Boo! Oh well, I guess it adds some sort of challenge to the game that otherwise wouldn't be there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just made my first miniboss for my first level.

I'm making a Contra hard cops inspired one, since it's not too long for the Contra game to hit the XBLA (and PSN??).

A sequencer lets the miniboss shoot to the right, activate a randomizer to either walk, jump, or jumpwalk to the right, shoot to the left and either walk, jump or jumpwalk to the right. Repeat. A simple enough basic boss to get me into it.

Its still a little bit wonky however, as for some reason the random-logic attached to 3 different 4 seconds walk/jump/jumpwalk Sequencers seems to turn itself off even when I've set the minimum and maximum offtime from the random-logic to zero. I've set the ontime to 4 seconds, but that does not seem to help. After the first sequence, the timing is wrong. Gonna search the code tomorrow to see where I've done something wrong.

Second problem is the head of the sackbot the player is controlling. As of yet, the only thing I added was a bigger jump with a quicker drop. I never meddled with the rotation of the second stick, but when I'm not pressing a direction with the second stick, the sackbot looks to the left. Very annoying and a mystery why.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One thing I'm trying to fix

Mario falls from a height of 80 pixels, or 5 tiles, in .5 seconds. To make Sackboy fall that fast, the gravity's gotta be ratcheted up to 270%.

When he falls that fast, upon hitting the ground he gets sort of stunned and can't move for a split second. I've tried introducing a mover set to 0 that turns on briefly when you touch the ground but that doesn't seem to help.

The next idea is to mess with the antigravity thing. I don't think that'll work though. Assuming it's true to its name it makes the object it's touching act as though a lighter force of gravity were acting on it, when what I actually want is for it to give the sackbot less mass, since that would make it fall at the dame speed but not land as hard.

In the big picture it's not a HUGE problem but I'd like to avoid it if I could.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Mario falls from a height of 80 pixels, or 5 tiles, in .5 seconds. To make Sackboy fall that fast, the gravity's gotta be ratcheted up to 270%.

When he falls that fast, upon hitting the ground he gets sort of stunned and can't move for a split second. I've tried introducing a mover set to 0 that turns on briefly when you touch the ground but that doesn't seem to help.

The next idea is to mess with the antigravity thing. I don't think that'll work though. Assuming it's true to its name it makes the object it's touching act as though a lighter force of gravity were acting on it, when what I actually want is for it to give the sackbot less mass, since that would make it fall at the dame speed but not land as hard.

Could you upload a picture with the code? Have you tried using more friction with a higer gravity?

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    looking for 3 other people to get the x3/x4 stuff in two of Eve's Asylum levels. it's all i need to 100% the game!

psnid is fenikuman, add meeee

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think the servers are working better. I've connected to a couple people tonight with no problem. I was finally able to get a couple levels 100% that I couldn't before because I needed a second sackperson. I also met a cool guy who was running around as Daxter while I was Jak. Of course we had to pose for a picture.

8x6i42.jpg

anoffday on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Could you upload a picture with the code? Have you tried using more friction with a higer gravity?

what about a material tweaker? Might be something in there you can use.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    IIRC, when you use a material tweaker on a sackbot the only thing you can actually tweak is whether or not it's grabbable.

looking at mario again, I've actually noticed that if you hit the ground with horizontal momentum he slides a bit. if hitting the ground triggers a horizontal mover temporarily that might solve the problem for me

thinking about it now though that's actually gonna be pretty complicated to do right

The best thing is that even with all the crazy logic I've got the sackbot still only takes up the first tick of the thermometer.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    StuntofthelitterStuntofthelitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I solved the randomness thing, but with some caveats.

When I got home a bit ago I was able to do some testing. Figured out how the random seed is being chosen, and how to take advantage of that. From what I can tell the seed is set on the moment of creation (with a few exceptions that are interesting but not helpful to solving this problem). So placing them in level results in the lack of randomness. Emitting one has the same problem, assuming it's always emitted at the same time.

Solution? Have it emitted based on a variable outside the scope of the level (ie the player). The time the emitter is spawned isn't set in stone that way, which results in a different pattern each time. So it works, but that would mean you'd have to emit your whole deal at once (which could be prohibitively bullshit at times).

Solution to THAT? Wireless communication! rather than having a randomizer on your circuit, have one unique tag sensor hooked to each distinct output that you'd normally have going from the randomizer. Make an invisible piece of hologram wit ha circuit, containing the randomizer hooked up to tags keyed to those sensors. Have that holo emitted in the range of the chip with those sensors. Voila. IMPORTANT: make sure that emitter is triggered in a way that it will not be at a set time. Player sensor, part of a grab circuit somewhere, etc. As long as the player is triggering it (and it isn't just a player sensor over the entrance) you should have the sequence be different each time.

Much more work than if the randomizer did its job. It isn't foolproof and definitely requires more planning than just being able to plop a chip down that magically makes things random. From what I can tell though, it WORKS. Which is more than the damned bit we have now does. There are a few circumstances where this won't be ideal, but it should solve most of your randomness issues, at least until the preexisting tool (hopefully) gets patched.

Stuntofthelitter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    good to hear I was on the right track with suggesting you emit a randomizer hooked up to tags!

obviously it's bullshit that you have to do that but it seems like a pretty simple solution at least.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also, carbonfire

going back and looking at mario again, you actually have approximately the same amount of maneuverability as he does

if you hit right and a at the same time and hold right until mario lands, he travels four tiles

sackboy makes it about three and a half

I think what you're actually perceiving is that sackboy does it more slowly'

Once I've got his jumping speed worked out I can replace his air controls with movers that let him get around more quickly in the air

speaking of movers, does anyone have some concrete info on how they work?

from what I understand, the number you set is a velocity that the mover's set to. the acceleration setting controls how fast you get up to that velocity if you're moving slower than it, and the deceleration setting controls how fast you slow down to that velocity if you're moving faster than it.

the issue is that the units are confusing! I think that the speed is measured in standard blocks per second but I haven't tested it yet. The acceleration is just bizarre though. I believe that 100% acceleration means that you instantaneously change to that velocity, but if that's the case then presenting the numbers as percentages doesn't make any sense. 50% is "half as slow" as 100%, but how can you take twice as long as 0 seconds to reach the assigned velocity? It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also, carbonfire

going back and looking at mario again, you actually have approximately the same amount of maneuverability as he does

if you hit right and a at the same time and hold right until mario lands, he travels four tiles

sackboy makes it about three and a half

I think what you're actually perceiving is that sackboy does it more slowly'

Once I've got his jumping speed worked out I can replace his air controls with movers that let him get around more quickly in the air

speaking of movers, does anyone have some concrete info on how they work?

from what I understand, the number you set is a velocity that the mover's set to. the acceleration setting controls how fast you get up to that velocity if you're moving slower than it, and the deceleration setting controls how fast you slow down to that velocity if you're moving faster than it.

the issue is that the units are confusing! I think that the speed is measured in standard blocks per second but I haven't tested it yet. The acceleration is just bizarre though. I believe that 100% acceleration means that you instantaneously change to that velocity, but if that's the case then presenting the numbers as percentages doesn't make any sense. 50% is "half as slow" as 100%, but how can you take twice as long as 0 seconds to reach the assigned velocity? It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Yeah, movers are going to have to be implemented if you're truly going for near mario-quality movement. I honestly haven't played with simple movers enough to know how their units relate to player movement (I've been dealing exclusively with vehicle stuff :P). But I'm sure you'll get it.

What I saw thus far was most impressive.

Also....why are we posting in this thread, when we have a perfectly serviceable new thread that Mr_Grinch kindly provided to us?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've just updated the op in that thread and chucked in a few levels and PSN names, so feel free to move on over.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135734

I'll be sure to keep the op up to date with PA levels and everyone's PSN name. I'll also update the competition theme every two weeks :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am waiting until I'm with my girlfriend to start story mode so I've been playing around in creation mode instead. I never got into it in LBP, but this time I pushed past the initial learning curve barrier and wow... This is so fun. I look forward to playing all of your levels and sharing my own.

Some creation noob questions:

How do you get items to suspend in midair? (Prize bubbles, clouds, etc) Is it possible? I've been able to do workarounds for the most part but my clouds are extremely hazardous.

I can't get emitters to launch my ninja stars at anything but a 45% angle to the right. While this is making my level pretty hilariously difficult, I'd like to figure out how to rotate the launching angle.

How do you link a player trigger to an emitter? I assume there is some kind of invisible linking wire tool but I can't find it. The goal here is to start up the ninja star emitters only once a player has walked through a certain area.

Can you use KBAM in creation?

Thanks!

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay guys, if anyone wants to check out my first level it's called Flying Monkey Examination Squadron GO!

it's pretty simple, but i put a bit of extra time into polishing it up so it shouldn't be a trudge to get through. it's pretty cool how much you can do with the creator, and how quickly it all comes together. the improvements over the original are subtle yet very very important to quick, functional editing

anyway. play my level! it's rad. mega rad.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Queued it.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Added it to the op of the shiny new thread

*cough*

(I know we haven't hit 100 pages but the op seems to have vanished and we need somewhere to collect all your awesome levels and PSN names)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lbp.me is so choice

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, we need to move over to Grinch's thread. It has info in the OP as opposed to this one which is basically just a preview of LBP2.

Maybe we can just get a mod to lock this one?

anoffday on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the reason that the lasers in my game ended up having a predefined sequence that gets more sadistic as time goes by....the randomizer. I originally wanted random discharges, but found that the thing is totally useless for most things (to me). So, design goals changed. Worked out better in the end, honestly.

I'm actually kind of annoyed by the whole randomizer thing. I can think of things that I would use it for, but tons of things I CAN'T do that I was looking forward to doing. Why they didn't have the random seed not be fixed and actually give us a randomizer is beyond me. Pretty much the only thing I've been disappointed with in this game.

Sony's hardware doesn't support true random numbers.

I kid.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SnerkySnerky call me trick the c is silentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

From my experiments it seemed like the Decceleration was how long it takes the object to return to 0 velocity after the input goes low, 100% being instant-stop and 0% being no-braking.

(...Uh, sorry for the late reply, you probably already figured this out.)

Snerky on
    EYDHoqw.png