As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keynote Speaker Speculation Thread

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    My guess: Reggie
    Really close to 3DS launch and synergies would be ginormous in terms of "building buzz"

Other guesses:
    Randy Pitchford?
    Guillermo del toro?
    Souljah boy (see PATV)?

I would love to see Reggie speak in person. Plus Pokemon Black/White come out the Sunday before PAX and the 3DS shortly after.

And maybe he could give a 3DS to everyone attending the keynote, Oprah style :D

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just figured Wil wouldn't do it two years in a row. There hasn't been a 2 in a row keynote speaker for PAX yet has there?

If Kevin Smith or Nathan Fillion did it that would be awesome. I think I'd like to see either Cliffy B or Gabe Newell.

Well Kevin Smith is out. He is booked showing his new movie around the country starting in March. but Fillion would be a good choice.

yanksrul5 on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My guess: Reggie
    Really close to 3DS launch and synergies would be ginormous in terms of "building buzz"

Other guesses:
    Randy Pitchford?
    Guillermo del toro?
    Souljah boy (see PATV)?

I would love to see Reggie speak in person. Plus Pokemon Black/White come out the Sunday before PAX and the 3DS shortly after.

And maybe he could give a 3DS to everyone attending the keynote, Oprah style :D

I had the same idea. What better way to build buzz around the country than to give it to a horde of game opinion leaders immediately prior to release. Probably cost them a few hundred thousand though, and given that it's going to be sold out for the remainder of the year anyway, might be unnecessary.

schuss on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reggie would indeed be great but is he really a gamer himself? I just don't see him as someone who truly inhabits the gaming lifestyle himself. What about someone a bit more old - like Nolan Bushnell? Someone like that that has truly seen the entire lifespan of gaming would be really cool.

The Kevin Smith mentions remind me that Jason Mewes (Jay of Jay & Silent Bob) does his own speaking engagements now and he really is a gamer. In his podcasts he talks about being into action figures, painting miniatures, video games, comics and plays D&D as well.

I'm sure they'll pick someone awesome though - maybe Oprah.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really don't think we'll see Will back for a second year in a row, and as awesome and inspirational as his speech was last year, I think him doing the keynote again would detract from that specialness. Would definitely like to see him around the con though.

I agree, Reggie would be cool given the upcoming release, I don't know who oprah-esque he would be, but I'll cross my fingers and hope they pull a nvidia and give some epic loot to byoc.

Second pick would be Nathan Fillion, I just think he'd be a really interesting keynote.

I'd be kinda disappointed if it was any of the G4 regulars, since I'm sure they're already going to have their own panel/Q&A, and I can already see them talk about games every day.

Exodus1 on
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm thinking it's generally someone loosely related to gaming. Wasn't Ironlore in Boston? I think that Brian Sullivan might be a great keynote speaker.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now I want to go and listen to the first PAX East keynote again.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Now I want to go and listen to the first PAX East keynote again.

I did that earlier today :D

Halfazedninja on

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reggie would be cool, but we see enough of him at press conferences. That's where he shines.

Personally, I'm pulling for Peter Moore. The guy has always been incredibly interesting to me (President of SEGA, head of EA Sports, led thecharge with Xbox) , and he understands the gaming community. He's probably got some fantastic stories too...he was the one who made the call to kill Dreamcast.

DanUNG on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You've all been tricked! They're bringing back Uwe Boll!!! Mua ha ha ha ha!!!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited January 2011
    MJPM wrote: »

Don't even joke about that :evil:

Yikes...

Halfazedninja on

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MJPM wrote: »
    Do we get to challenge him to a boxing match?

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • hsofpn666hsofpn666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i would like to see alan alda. lets go hawkeye !!!!

hsofpn666 on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to see Nathan Fillion for one reason other then his geek cred; he's from my city!

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited January 2011
    hsofpn666 wrote: »
    i would like to see alan alda. lets go hawkeye !!!!
    Well, as long as we're throwing out people who have little to nothing to do with geekdom, I totally want Tina Fey. :P

Themiscyra on
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If the 60/40 ratio is to be believed then mathmatically speaking we are overdue for a female keynote speaker.

North on
    edited January 2011
    North wrote: »
    If the 60/40 ratio is to be believed then mathmatically speaking we are overdue for a female keynote speaker.

Then I totally vote for Felicia Day :D

Halfazedninja on

edited January 2011
    shows how geeky you are he did a science show for a few years that showd all aspects of science

hsofpn666 on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shows how geeky you are he did a science show for a few years that showd all aspects of science

One show? That's it? He's not exactly well known for that show.

Felicia Day is well known for being a geek and into at least one game (WoW). Nathan Fillion....well he's just awesome.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited January 2011
    yea but the show ran for 10 years it was on pbs

hsofpn666 on
  • DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only one that is still furious over Will Wheaton spoiling the ending to Dragon Age: Origins?

DJ Lushious on
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only one that is still furious over Will Wheaton spoiling the ending to Dragon Age: Origins?

SPOILER ALERT! :P

Halfazedninja on

• IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

...Scientific American Frontiers? Don't get me wrong, I love Alan Alda...but it's thanks to M*A*S*H. If we nominate people based on how long a science show ran...I think Mr. Wizard would win (please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that show!) Bill Nye the Science Guy ran for years too, but I'm not sure he'd be an entirely fitting speaker. Longevity does not necessarily equal relevance. :) All awesome people, but probably not the most fitting choices.

Felicia Day is another speaker I'd love to see too, although I have yet to watch the Guild. I should get on that sometime soonish.

Ixmasat on
    edited January 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »

Felicia Day is another speaker I'd love to see too, although I have yet to watch the Guild. I should get on that sometime soonish.

You need to get on that right now! That show's awesome!

Halfazedninja on

• runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory. He could have a sword fight with Wil Wheaton on stage.

runethomas on
    edited January 2011
    runethomas wrote: »
    Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory. He could have a sword fight with Wil Wheaton on stage.

Only if he did the speech in character :D

Halfazedninja on

edited January 2011
    And if PAX were SCIENCECON! I might agree with you. Actually, no, I'd still suggest that Bill Nye's a better speaker. :P I like Alan Alda too, but he doesn't have a lot to do with the PAX crowd.

Themiscyra on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i guess im probably the only one who would not want to see felicia day. past speakers have devoted years of their lives to making breakthrough/hugely popular games or have written books about being a part of gamer culture. Felicia day, while cute and geeky, just has a cult following because shes a woman who is avid and open about being a nerd and playing video games. (yes, i said it)

on that note, no clue who id want to be the keynote

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    And if PAX were SCIENCECON! I might agree with you. Actually, no, I'd still suggest that Bill Nye's a better speaker. :P I like Alan Alda too, but he doesn't have a lot to do with the PAX crowd.

Bill Nye might be a better speaker but if he were to pass out again, I don't think I'd be able to get past the shock of seeing my childhood hero collapse on stage.

I would love to see an indie dev deliver a keynote. This past year has seen an explosion in the popularity of indie games (see: Minecraft and Super Meat Boy) and the line between indie and mainstream is blurring.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Iron CurtainIron Curtain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would love to see an indie dev deliver a keynote. This past year has seen an explosion in the popularity of indie games (see: Minecraft and Super Meat Boy) and the line between indie and mainstream is blurring.

That's probably the best idea that ever came from this thread. Let's see if Gabe, Tycho and/or Robert are thinking what you're thinking...

Iron Curtain on
    edited January 2011
    That's probably the best idea that ever came from this thread. Let's see if Gabe, Tycho and/or Robert are thinking what you're thinking...
    Super Meat Boy was hardcore amazing! I would love to hear one of the devs speak.

BTW, how/why did the title of the thread change?

Halfazedninja on

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really it matters less on the background of the person and more their ability to speak to the geek in all of us. Wil Wheaton isn't a great keynote speaker because he was on Star Trek or because he made a blog - he's a great keynote because he's a good public speaker that is good at bringing out emotions from his listeners.

I would actually think either Sessler or Morgan Webb would be great - you can tell when they get on rants on their show that they would be good speakers. What about someone like Ron Gilbert or Tim Schafer? They'd be entertaining I'd think. Heck - I would even think it would be a great to hear Ed Boon speak and it's looking to be his comeback year to say the least.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Really it matters less on the background of the person and more their ability to speak to the geek in all of us. Wil Wheaton isn't a great keynote speaker because he was on Star Trek or because he made a blog - he's a great keynote because he's a good public speaker that is good at bringing out emotions from his listeners.

I would actually think either Sessler or Morgan Webb would be great - you can tell when they get on rants on their show that they would be good speakers. What about someone like Ron Gilbert or Tim Schafer? They'd be entertaining I'd think. Heck - I would even think it would be a great to hear Ed Boon speak and it's looking to be his comeback year to say the least.

Gilbert has already given a keynote.

schuss on
    edited January 2011
    Not for PAX East :D

Halfazedninja on

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not for PAX East :D

Yea but it'd be nice to have someone who isn't doing a repeat of a speech they already gave at Prime.

VisionOfClarity on
  • luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Again not really gaming but just pure geek representative. Leonard Nimoy is a local boy born here in Massachusetts. Along that line Salvatore would be a cool option especially where he's a geek writer, and works for a video game company who was again born raised in Massachusetts.

lucek on
  • Iron CurtainIron Curtain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lucek wrote: »
    Again not really gaming but just pure geek representative. Leonard Nimoy is a local boy born here in Massachusetts. Along that line Salvatore would be a cool option especially where he's a geek writer, and works for a video game company who was again born raised in Massachusetts.

If you're going along those lines, what sayest thou to Kasson Crooker (a.k.a. The Duke of Pannekoeken, formerly of Freezepop) keynoting? I don't think he'll do it (especially since Freezepop isn't one of the bands), but he has both experience as a member of a onetime PAX band AND a developer at Harmonix (which is what he is currently doing full-time).

Iron Curtain on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Michael Jackson! :3, wut?... ... too soon?

I know it's highly unlikely, but I Mr. Wheaton has my heart. Whenever he's up there on the spotlit stage, he sends chills down my spine when he speaks of the epic and awesomeness of PAX. So far, only one or two have gotten a lesser extent of that, but not as powerful :(. Gilbert is a close second though.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What about Nolan North?

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Random guess: