As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Haven't seen this answered...

If I'd like my second playthrough to be on Impossible (or whatever the hardest trophy-getting difficulty is), is there a certain difficulty I need to do on my first playthrough, or does completing the game on any difficulty unlock the hardest one?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Beating the game should unlock Impossible. Really I'd say if you are looking for 1000/1000 I'd do a normal playthrough to learn the maps. New Game + to Zealot so you start with better guns and more schematics. Then when you are ready to marathon the game do Hardcore.

Psychotic One on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I heard that the PC version's v-sync problems remain. Is this true?

Any general comments on the quality of the PC version? Graphics, AA, wide-screen fov, control remapping, etc.

Jimmy Marku on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man this game makes me feel like a total dumbass...

Chapter 5 boss:
    So he takes me out to space, and I die all the time. I've seen a video and it doesn't seem like I'm doing anything wrong. Yet i die everytime. There is a weakspot to this guy right?

EDIT: nevermind... i really am dumb, man i'm so not good at puzzles , i just want to shoot :(

parabola on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jesus fuck the end of chapter 2.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Jesus fuck the end of chapter 2.

I made it past that without dieing once, but
    not being able to move and having the screen cocked at such an odd angle
    depleted my medpack and ammo supplies something fierce.

Hedgethorn on
    edited January 2011
    oh my supplies are already gone

but hey at least the game didn't fail to fire all the triggers this time

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so is the multi as bad as everyone said? Has a 4 vs 4 PA game been played? Ill be picking up the game on Friday for the 360.

I've been really enjoying the multi so far. It's not the greatest thing in the universe, but it's a nice change of pace from all the fucking military FPS on the xbox. It gets super chaotic at times, but I never felt like I was getting cheap deaths. As a necro you don't NEED to wait every time for the spitter, you can easily rip shit up with the swarm. I wish people would realize that instead of bitching about spawn times.

I dislike the arbitrary unlock system though. Instead of unlocking more options, for the necromorphs it's mostly things like "Do more melee damage". Yes, great idea giving more experienced players even more advantage over newbies. I think everyone would enjoy the game a lot more if everything was unlocked from the start.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone got a key they aren't gonna use for the fucking "EA ONLINE PASS"? I'm literally red with rage here after finding out my 60 dollar-a-year Gold membership isn't enough anymore to get me online with EA's precious software for more than 2 days .

Allforce on
    edited January 2011
    Allforce wrote: »
    Anyone got a key they aren't gonna use for the fucking "EA ONLINE PASS"? I'm literally red with rage here after finding out my 60 dollar-a-year Gold membership isn't enough anymore to get me online with EA's precious software for more than 2 days .

Shouldn't a copy have come with the game?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm on GameFly.

Allforce on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the PC version bogged down with DRM? I want to get the game, but I'm already having issues with EA's servers in Mass Effect 2.

Toldo on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really enjoying Dead Space 2 so far, it's been an incredibly sublime ride, but uhhh... I'm not sure I'd still call this a survival horror game anymore. The reviews were all spot on, in that... the action's been ramped up and takes center stage in this game. It doesn't feel that scary. The scares are less frequent and you feel so empowered that the overall tenor is not the sort of frightful tension that I generally associate with the survival horror genre. And this is coming from a guy who was scared shitless of the original AvP and couldn't finish it. I'm a huge pussy. Dead Space 2 feels like a light-hearted romp in comparison. I dunno, am I the only one who's not getting scared?

Delta Assault on
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    honestly, the only game(s) that scared me, really scared me, were the Resident Evil remake (hated chained up scary girl) System Shock 2 and the Silent Hill series. Dead Space 1 never did it for me.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LIVE Tag: LanzAlentzia

Also: OP Needs more Dead Space iOS. I can toss some screenshots your way if you need and even a write up

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also debating: is there any reason to use the Zealot suit if I've got it? seems it only adds 15% armor and increases me to 15 slots

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    Also: OP Needs more Dead Space iOS. I can toss some screenshots your way if you need and even a write up

I just used Ultimanecat's OP since we hit 100 pages, so if you have something to add I'd be happy to put it in.

We're having a horrible blizzard and I just returned to my office after spending 2 hours going .5 miles down the road.

I may not get to play Dead Space tonight. :x

adytum on
    edited January 2011
    So what you'd be stuck in your office overnight? That sucks, adytum.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm planning on sleeping on the floor, yeah. I might venture out again in a few hours of if the building loses power. In the meantime there's electricity, heat, and indoor plumbing, and it's better than sitting in my car for 8 hours, turning it on and off to save my meager amount of gas.

Better, that is, until necromorphs start crawling out of the vents. :whistle:

adytum on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay so in chapter 6
    i am stuck at the room full of asshole raptors. i only have the plasma cutter and javelin gun. i know i'm supposed to stasis them and then take them down, but i have so little health all they need is two hits on me and i die. advice?

also had a funny death where i stuck one of the raptors on the head with the javelin, and then he did the arm-rip-headbutt-kill on me, with a unicorn horn to gore issac's head with. amusing.

Local H Jay on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    okay so in chapter 6
    i am stuck at the room full of asshole raptors. i only have the plasma cutter and javelin gun. i know i'm supposed to stasis them and then take them down, but i have so little health all they need is two hits on me and i die. advice?

also had a funny death where i stuck one of the raptors on the head with the javelin, and then he did the arm-rip-headbutt-kill on me, with a unicorn horn to gore issac's head with. amusing.

Always go for the legs on a charging Stalker, once they go down they can still crawl pretty fast but it buys you a second of stun time

Green on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reached chapter 10, all i can say is, goddamn

deveric on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay holy crap. PC people who have not messed with their settings and are getting low framerates: do this.

Open Dead Space 2 and disable v-sync
    Download and install RivaTuner
    Open D3DOverrider from the RivaTuner start menu group
    add C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dead space 2\deadspace2.exe to the list
    Enable v-sync and triple buffering for it

Marvel at going from 30-40 fps to a solid 60.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really enjoying Dead Space 2 so far, it's been an incredibly sublime ride, but uhhh... I'm not sure I'd still call this a survival horror game anymore. The reviews were all spot on, in that... the action's been ramped up and takes center stage in this game. It doesn't feel that scary. The scares are less frequent and you feel so empowered that the overall tenor is not the sort of frightful tension that I generally associate with the survival horror genre. And this is coming from a guy who was scared shitless of the original AvP and couldn't finish it. I'm a huge pussy. Dead Space 2 feels like a light-hearted romp in comparison. I dunno, am I the only one who's not getting scared?

There's some shit in the last few chapters that will make your fucking blood run cold.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanz wrote: »
    LIVE Tag: LanzAlentzia

I'm enjoying it myself. Combat is a bit wonky, and I have a feeling they have purposefully kept powerups to a minimum to encourage buying some through the app, but otherwise it's surprisingly solid.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chapter 7
    I'm surprised they didn't fuck with you in the maintance hatches in the memory core. The second I entered one I immediately thought of Event Horizon and was waiting for Isaac to start flipping out again. I was expecting another Marker Nicole thing to occur.

Psychotic One on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chapter 7
    I'm surprised they didn't fuck with you in the maintance hatches in the memory core. The second I entered one I immediately thought of Event Horizon and was waiting for Isaac to start flipping out again. I was expecting another Marker Nicole thing to occur.

I know!

Green on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The SYSTEM SHOCK/BIOSHOCK, alone in an abandoned city/base full of corpses and monsters with a voice on the radio giving you instructions, pattern has been well-established and has few surprises for the player any longer. Which is why BIOSHOCK 3, by all indications, seems to be taking a serious departure from the standard situation.

Fairchild on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it me or are they handing out Power Nodes like candy? I'm 20 minutes into the game and I've already got 4 of them.

Edit: Make that 5 lol

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited January 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Is it me or are they handing out Power Nodes like candy? I'm 20 minutes into the game and I've already got 4 of them.

After that you really have to look and hunt for them. There is a glitch at the end of the game for infinite Nodes but for the most part you'll be buying for upgrading.

Psychotic One on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Survivalist or Zealot difficulty for the first play through? Quick, I need an answer!

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Play it on a harder difficulty

Believe me, around halfway through Chapter 4 on Zealot, the game shifts to "fuck your ass repeatedly" mode

Salvation122 on
    edited January 2011
    greeble wrote: »
    Survivalist or Zealot difficulty for the first play through? Quick, I need an answer!

Depends how hard of a time you had with Impossible on DS 1. If it was a challenge I'd recommend Normal or Survial for first run and then Zealot with New Game +.

If you are a bit of a masochist then Go Zealot. By the time you meet the new breed you'll be in a world of pain you'll enjoy.

Psychotic One on
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RandomEngy's RivaTuner info needs to be in the OP. The mouse acceleration issues from DS1 PC are gone, but the shitty vsync is still there.

Force Gun Review:
    This gun is amazing for just about anything that runs toward you. It can even obliterate multiple foes at once in short range. The secondary fire can is basically a short-mid range beam that has a piercing quality, goes through enemies. Are you the type of person that reflexively fires out of fear when something pops out of a vent in front of you? This is the gun for you.

A warning however. The range is atrocious, even on the secondary fire. It makes a shotgun seem like a sniper rifle. It is absolutely horrible in cutscene moments and can lead to some serious frustration, and not alone will you be murdered but the pacing will be as well. Be prepared to quickly switch to a more standard weapon (plasma cutter, javelin gun, pulse rifle) in the cutscenes.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Okay holy crap. PC people who have not messed with their settings and are getting low framerates: do this.

Open Dead Space 2 and disable v-sync
    Download and install RivaTuner
    Open D3DOverrider from the RivaTuner start menu group
    add C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dead space 2\deadspace2.exe to the list
    Enable v-sync and triple buffering for it

Marvel at going from 30-40 fps to a solid 60.

Good to know they haven't learned anything from the first game.

Coupled with the DLC not even coming to the PC, I'm wondering why this game is $10 more expensive.

Zxerol on
  • MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just started watching Dead Space: Aftermath, I'll let you know how it is when I finish it.

MannyTheManatee on
    edited January 2011
    I was curious what they'd do for the force gun's secondary since the pulse rifle now has a grenade launcher.

A short range linear attack is neat, but a bit of a nerf in my opinion. I could solve a lot of problems with the old force gun, but now it seems far more specialized.

Ultimanecat on
    edited January 2011
    Just started watching Dead Space: Aftermath, I'll let you know how it is when I finish it.

Supposedly it is terrible.

This is a screenshot of the CG portions:

deadspace_site.jpg

But do let us know.

Ultimanecat on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Question - a review I read said that ammo handled differently now, and you really need to equip all 4 gun slots and switch between them. Is this correct? I hope so, because while the plasma cutter is neato, I always felt like I was handicapping myself by even experimenting with other guns in DS 1.

-Loki- on
  • MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Supposedly it is terrible.

This is a screenshot of the CG portions:

deadspace_site.jpg

But do let us know.

The whole movie isn't in CG, thank god!

As also:
    First five minutes into the movie and one of the main characters is Stross from Dead Space 2.

I was wondering what his story was and how is was involved!

Hopefully his story is good.

MannyTheManatee on