As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name That PC Game

AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
A friend of mine is trying to find an old PC game... It's from the Warcraft 2/Command & Conquer era and is a 2D RTS where a unit for one of the factions were warthog-men creatures riding bikes (or jet bikes). I know it's not much to go on, but I'm stumped and thought maybe someone might have an idea.

Avenrosh on

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr.Sunshine on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh my god, yes! I remember reading reviews on it back in the day. Going to track it down right now. Thanks!

Avenrosh on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Old Amiga game : Been asking a lot of places and no one has been able to help. You're a hawk travelling through a castle/maze filled with spike traps and crushing walls. When you die, it's really gruesome, you get turned into mush, impaled and other nasty things. It's been driving me crazy for about 12 years.

Waka Laka on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Old Amiga game : Been asking a lot of places and no one has been able to help. You're a hawk travelling through a castle/maze filled with spike traps and crushing walls. When you die, it's really gruesome, you get turned into mush, impaled and other nasty things. It's been driving me crazy for about 12 years.

I'm pretty sure I own this game, but I can't for the life of me remember what it calls. If I'm not beaten to it I'll check in the attic this weekend because you've got me curious now too!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've asked this a ton of places but never get an answer, I remember playing an old pc rpg when I was younger. Pretty typical rpg so it's hard to describe it from the tons that are floating around. I do remember a war between red and blue armies and you being forced to pick a side. There also might of been lizard men roaming about but I can't remember for sure.

Inkyblots on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I own this game, but I can't for the life of me remember what it calls. If I'm not beaten to it I'll check in the attic this weekend because you've got me curious now too!

Holy crap! You're the first person who even had the faintest idea about it. I've had lots of answers like "That Psygnosis game" but nothing solid. It's been haunting me for ages.

Waka Laka on
    edited January 2011
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I've asked this a ton of places but never get an answer, I remember playing an old pc rpg when I was younger. Pretty typical rpg so it's hard to describe it from the tons that are floating around. I do remember a war between red and blue armies and you being forced to pick a side. There also might of been lizard men roaming about but I can't remember for sure.

Everytime I think Lizardmen, I think Pool of Radiance. Can't remember about side picking though.

Depths of Peril also comes to mind, but whether or not that had Lizardmen I forget, there were things called "Moonclan" that looked... lizardmanish.

Waka Laka on
  • floatstarpxfloatstarpx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember playing the demo of War Wind... It was pretty good - I think it had a few original ideas that Warcraft 2 (which it would've been accused of 'copying', at that time) didn't have...
    but the name is awful - war *wind*? really. sounds like a fart battle simulator.

floatstarpx on
    Stick Unleashed - sticktacular stick battles, with vehicles, spaceships, wall-jump madness, multiple weapons and a built in level editor!! (co-op/vs 1-4 player X360)
    Also - I <3 Excruciating Guitar Voyage.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm trying to recall the name of an RPG on the Apple IIGS.

Heavily tile-based. Stores existed as tiles that opened up menus. Combat was 'run into enemy until one of you is dead', or if you are on a ship, "hit 'f', then arrow key".

The opening area of the demo / shareware module had a stream cutting through the upper-right, 3 shops (weapons, armor, and items), with the only available path being northward. One screen north (as I recall) there was a skeleton-infested building, with a locked door.

Anyone know?

Tamin on
    edited January 2011
    The only Apple2 Tile based RPG I played was The Magic Candle, I don't think it's that though.

Could also be Demon's Winter, but I never got a chance to see it played.

Waka Laka on
  • KaseKase Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Is this it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks3PHI2diuY
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agony_%28video_game%29
    Never played the game but I've had the soundtrack lying around for yonkers and remembered that it had an owl in a side scrolling shoot'em up

Kase on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Nah, Kase, that's not it, but it is a really great shooter! One of my favourite game soundtracks in the 90s.

Waka Laka on
  • floatstarpxfloatstarpx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OH! this just made me remember another RTS game..from around that time.. I only had the demo.
    It was almost set "indoors", 'coz it was kinda mazey, with pitfalls - and quite grid like.. and there were golems, and you could change their form (block, walking, etc..).. I have no idea what the name was - but it was really good!

floatstarpx on
    Stick Unleashed - sticktacular stick battles, with vehicles, spaceships, wall-jump madness, multiple weapons and a built in level editor!! (co-op/vs 1-4 player X360)
    Also - I <3 Excruciating Guitar Voyage.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, while we're trying to figure these things out:

Arcade brawler. 3D. You're a T-Rex. Never got a home port and no license, as far as I know, released in the very late 90s, I think.

chiasaur11 on
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Arcade brawler. 3D. You're a T-Rex. Never got a home port and no license, as far as I know, released in the very late 90s, I think.

Savage Quest?

Waka Laka on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Savage Quest?

Sounds right. Thanks.

chiasaur11 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OH! this just made me remember another RTS game..from around that time.. I only had the demo.
    It was almost set "indoors", 'coz it was kinda mazey, with pitfalls - and quite grid like.. and there were golems, and you could change their form (block, walking, etc..).. I have no idea what the name was - but it was really good!

Blood and Iron? D&D RTS where golemns were both your basic foot troops and could transform into pillars or blocks to generate mana to summon more units/buildings.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    The only Apple2 Tile based RPG I played was The Magic Candle, I don't think it's that though.

Could also be Demon's Winter, but I never got a chance to see it played.

Neither of those. I'll see if I can throw together a semblance of the first area from memory.

Here we go:
    tempg.jpg

The reddish bits are the shops; blue is a river, green is normal terrain; gray are mountains, yellow is the small structure I mentioned; Black denotes a given 'area'.

It's far from perfect, but it might jog a memory or two.

Tamin on
    edited January 2011
    Fuck, now that does jog a memory. I've seen this somewhere. I'll ask a friend of mine who knows more about Mac games.

Waka Laka on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's one I need figuring out.

Some sort of strategy game on the SNES, there were barbarians, and those barbarians turned into knights, and I think you could rise and lower the land. The buildings I remembered being able to build were houses and castles, and that's it.

Kadoken on
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »

Some sort of strategy game on the SNES, there were barbarians, and those barbarians turned into knights, and I think you could rise and lower the land. The buildings I remembered being able to build were houses and castles, and that's it.

Populous?

Tamin on
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey! I've got one too! Survival Horror game for the PC, old, graphics Silent Hill 1 era, i only played a demo of this game, im pretty sure it was a french developer, you were in a haunted house type place, but you were also on some sort of reality tv show. There were TV's around the house and a presenter spoke to you. 3rd person survival horror, pretty sure the lead character was ginger and had a beard.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, so Penny-Arcade is notoriously good at this game. I have a slightly different challenge.

I used to play an old Mac game called either "Danger Swamp" or "Danger Swamps". Google seems to turn up no official record of it, only other people posting about it on other forums. You played a stick figure running to the right of the screen, jumping on platforms and shit, fleeing a giant greenish wall that chased you.

If anyone can find any video of this game for nostalgia sake, or any kind of official record of it, that would be awesome.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    someone should keep the OP updated with Game descriptions/which forum member described the game and which ones have been solved, that would be cool

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I only remember this game very vaguely. It was a space exploration game where you would go around to various planets and explore. You could also meet aliens in space and talk with them. Sometimes the alien's dialogue was written in a separate booklet that came with the game that they'd tell you to refer to. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think when you were exploring planets, it was possible to actually enter into the alien ruins and the game would turn into a 3D dungeon crawl. I distinctly remember my brothers getting the coordinates for an alien armory, going to that planet and then raiding it for futuristic weaponry. I also remember that the dialogue booklet's very last entry was a joke entry about how the the universe is doomed because you read ahead.

Any guesses?

EDIT: It's a PC game that would have run on an XT computer in CGA graphics. I think it was probably a game from the late 80s to early 90s... probably post Starflight.

CygnusZ on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I only remember this game very vaguely. It was a space exploration game where you would go around to various planets and explore. You could also meet aliens in space and talk with them. Sometimes the alien's dialogue was written in a separate booklet that came with the game that they'd tell you to refer to. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think when you were exploring planets, it was possible to actually enter into the alien ruins and the game would turn into a 3D dungeon crawl. I distinctly remember my brothers getting the coordinates for an alien armory, going to that planet and then raiding it for futuristic weaponry. I also remember that the dialogue booklet's very last entry was a joke entry about how the the universe is doomed because you read ahead.

Any guesses?

EDIT: It's a PC game that would have run on an XT computer in CGA graphics. I think it was probably a game from the late 80s to early 90s... probably post Starflight.

I have no idea but it sounds awesome and I want to play it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey! I've got one too! Survival Horror game for the PC, old, graphics Silent Hill 1 era, i only played a demo of this game, im pretty sure it was a french developer, you were in a haunted house type place, but you were also on some sort of reality tv show. There were TV's around the house and a presenter spoke to you. 3rd person survival horror, pretty sure the lead character was ginger and had a beard.

Sounds like The Devil Inside.

reVerse on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

Populous?

Or Powermonger.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Any guesses?

I have no idea but it sounds awesome and I want to play it.

Probably megatraveller.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Any guesses?

The "dialogue in a separate book" part reminds me of the Gold Box games, which featured a 1st-person dungeon-crawling element; are you thinking of the Buck Rogers version of them?

Elvenshae on
  • Wraith KingWraith King Registered User new member
    I'm looking for the name of a game i used to play on my computer. you are stranded on an island and you have to collect supplies to survive and get rescued. you can find tools and cut wood to make a shelter, you can collect rocks to make an S.O.S. sign in the sand, you have to pick berries or fish. everything you do takes time and you only have a certain amount per day, and you have to be back in your shelter by sundown or else you die. you can make all kinds of stuff and farm the land to grow crops and build a boat and stuff, but you have to go find supplies and stuff and slowly build to all this. I cannot remember what it's called and it's really bugging me, i want to play it again. the graphics are pretty simple and i'm not sure when it came out but i played it in early 2000's. any help would be appreciated.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Schiffbruch. I also enjoyed this game in the past.

Maclay on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    Wow, usually every game in these kind of threads are found out within a few posts. This is the first time I've seen questions go unanswered, except for mine. I used to play a lot of indie shareware games from the old AOL Games section, they've disappeared off the internet.

• wubuponwubupon Registered User new member
    Ok here's one that has been driving me insane. it's first person from around the early 90s, more like myst style graphics. I remember you are in a room like a laboratory with a bunch of video screens in front of you and some tesla coil type stuff and you click around but if you click in the wrong place or something (i dont remember what triggers this, i was really young when i played it.) some guy pops up on the screens and says "do it... Do it! DO IT!" and his eyes get all weird, then it cuts to a POV video of you sneaking out of a closet to the foot of someone's bed, then it cuts and all you hear is screams, then you see a severed appendage (forgot which one). Good luck.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I remember ads in a game informer from the early 90s for a myst-style game that fits that theme, but I never got to play it. Heck if I can remember what it's called.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is not the Frankenstein game with Tim Curry, is it?

There was also Zork Nemesis.

• tburris83tburris83 Registered User new member
    I have been trying to figure out what this pc game was called. I think it came out back in the 90's. You were either a space explorer or an astronaut stranded I think on an alien planet. Im pretty sure you started out as a woman, I cant remember if you had the option to change your character or not. You had to solve puzzles to open things and levels. I remember one puzzle where you had to match the keys to the matching holes, maybe match up musical tunes or crystals. It's hard for me to remember because I am thirty now and I was like fourteen when I played it. I really need help figuring out what this game is called so I can play it and get it out of my head!!! :)

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The Dig would be my first guess, although you don't play as a woman. But alien planet and matching tunes & crystals fits.

Yeah. There was a woman in the team, but you played as Boston Lowe. It is a must play.

This discussion has been closed.