As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rifts - Chapter 1 : BAH! The Midwest!] Release the Kraken!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And we're waiting on Void Slayer again, right?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Void Slayer and Gaddez.

Darn slackers.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Athren Aims for the trailing cycle, hoping to catch the trooper off-guard.

He misses (9) the machine, the bolt of energy fading into the air behind it.

I am afraid I have no useful spells right now, and that was my last shot this turn. Sorry for the delay just haven't had the time to post something.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited January 2011
    It's alright. Magic in Rifts tends to be much more useful outside of combat anyway.

You're our ace in the hole for avoiding fights. ;)

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    Next level I am completely invisible in natural environments, and at level 7 I can resurrect for a paltry 60 PPE. Mystics, Biomancers, warlocks and to a lesser extent other magic classes actually improve with experience.

Right now I can make you a backpack or a nice living tree chair. And I had a Globe of daylight to pull on those vampires so I feel pretty cool. They would have shot me but still.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    It's alright. Magic in Rifts tends to be much more useful outside of combat anyway.

You're our ace in the hole for avoiding fights. ;)

And for doing all the dumb post-combat brokeness later on...

Rifts Mage: "Kay Mr. GM - I trap one of the dying guy's souls. I, like, bind it to my will and stuff."

GM: "Uh. Okay."

Rifts Mage: "I then spend the next few hours constructing a horrible golem from the corpses of the dead people & their equipment, and I animate it with the bound soul. It's... let's see... it's immune to most damage, it bio-regenerates 3d8x10 mega-damage per round, the fingers of it's right hand are all boom guns, it pukes clusters of plasma grenades..."

GM: "Fuck you guys."

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Aww I was just gonna get all the pirates together every night for a steal your PPE hand-holding to make them magic wooden clubs.

Then try and contact my clan and get them all magic tattoos. Hey that's a good post juicer class, you wont be as good as someone who got them at 6 years old but it might be worth considering.

Void Slayer on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I'm gonna need to get more attacks because I've been refreshing the thread like mad even though I'm already done for the round.

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    I only have 8 this round. :(

We're still waiting on Gaddez, huh?

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    We are. :/

I'll give him another couple of hours, then we'll just skip him.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    I screwed up my computer.

I'll try to stay caught up.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    K, we're just moving ahead without Gaddez.

The CS soldier on the Kraken drops her sidearm as the shot from Deimos's weapon slams into her back. She slowly spreads her arms out and otherwise lays still.

"Kay. I surrender. Don't shoot me."

Her tone suggests she's saying that through gritted teeth.

Her wingmate, meanwhile, wasn't prepared for his bike to make a violent veer to the right under Josh's control and is tossed from his seat. He skips off of the pavement and into the ditch while bellowing obscenities. Perhaps distracted by the dismounting of the squad leader, another 2 bikers are caught blindsided by Mace's railgun and Jim's plasma ejector; their machines smashes to the Earth and blend into a rolling ball of fire.

The remaining CS cycle counter-attacks against the SAM, firing off a volley of four plasma mini-missiles; Mace fires into the cluster of warheads and hits two of them, the resulting explosion destroying all of the weapons before they can hit him (Mace, I took the liberty of using up 2 of your attacks to destroy the incoming volley of missiles).

The Kraken's bumpy journey towards Chicago continues, and more airborne guns are soon trained on it...

The three SAMUS units are now 1.5 miles out from the Kraken. They are not old model units! They are "Striker" SAMs - the same model used by Mace! One minion will be acting on Initiative 10, one minion will be acting on Initiative 13 and the captain, with normal MDC and defensive maneuvers, will be acting on Initiative 17.

Additionally, 2 miles out AHEAD of the Kraken is a now visible Black Lightning gunship!

That kind of hardware is supposed to be reserved for the Tolkeen front or defensive barricade around Chi-Town; this might be an ominous portent...

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Is that the last of the skycycles, then?

What's the initiative lineup look like?

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    INITIATIVE ORDER

1. Striker SAMAS (Initiative 17)
    2. Josh (Initiative 16)
    3. Jimmy (Initiative 16)
    4. Mason (Initiative 14)
    5. Lucy (Initiative 13)
    6. Striker SAMAS Minion (Initiative 13)
    7. Striker SAMAS Minion (Initiative 10)
    8. Athren (Initiative 8)

Feel free to post your actions out of order (they'll be resolved in the proper order, though), and give me an idea of what defenses you intend to use if attacked.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Also there is still a crew on the Kraken, correct? They weren't all blown to smithereens on the back of the trailer?

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    Well, since the SAMAS are still out of range of even my longest gun, I guess I'm going to put the skycycle onto the Kraken for recovery later.

Josh mentally guides the now-riderless skycycle into the Kraken, carefully parking it and locking it's systems down so as to be sure it'll be there when he can get to it. He continues jogging next to the Kraken, scanning the skies.

"Somebody with a long gun needs to take out the engines on that SAM. If he can't fly, he can't catch us. Which would be good, because we've got some major firepower coming from the front."

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Also there is still a crew on the Kraken, correct? They weren't all blown to smithereens on the back of the trailer?

Correct; there is still a crew, but they're considered out of action for now. Most of them are just lying low and/or firing wildly into the air, panicked and confused.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    given that there is nothing to shoot at for me. gonna go defensive, try to avoid and or shoot down any ordenance headed my way.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    edited January 2011
    I would like a 24 hour weather report for the nearby 1000 foot radius area, I figure it can at least tell what kind of weather we expect coming up. I am doing this cause I think I am out of attacks, stupid primitive weapons. I may be working from the wrong set of combat tables though.

Void Slayer on
    edited January 2011
    The average temperature for the immediate 1000 foot region will be 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius). Average wind speed will be about 5 kn. No precipitation to be expected.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    The remaining CS cycle counter-attacks against the SAM, firing off a volley of four plasma mini-missiles; Mace fires into the cluster of warheads and hits two of them, the resulting explosion destroying all of the weapons before they can hit him (Mace, I took the liberty of using up 2 of your attacks to destroy the incoming volley of missiles).

Thats just fine. I like staying alive, thank you very much.
    The three SAMUS units are now 1.5 miles out from the Kraken. They are not old model units! They are "Striker" SAMs - the same model used by Mace!

Uncool. Thise suits are badass. I should know, I'm in one of them!

Now I'm just yakking because I can't do anything for the rest of this combat round.

Steelhawk on
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Correct; there is still a crew, but they're considered out of action for now. Most of them are just lying low and/or firing wildly into the air, panicked and confused.

"One of you come here and hog tie this sow before I kill her."

If none of the crew does, I know what I'm doing next round.

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    What are we looking at for attacks remaining in the party?

I have 5 left.

OptimusZed on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got 6 left if I'm not mistaken. (1 Attack, 1 dodge) Dammit, have to look up Boom Gun stats tonight once I'm off work.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    I quick check of my character sheet says I have 5 attacks per round and spent 4 of them so far. I have one attack left. Thats one more than I thought I had.

Steelhawk on
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    I've got 6 left if I'm not mistaken. (1 Attack, 1 dodge) Dammit, have to look up Boom Gun stats tonight once I'm off work.
    I was counting the action for this round. So I think we have the same number left.

Next round I'll have more, since I lost one to Telemechanical Operation. :P

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I quick check of my character sheet says I have 5 attacks per round and spent 4 of them so far. I have one attack left. Thats one more than I thought I had.

You should have 2 attacks left still, Mace; you have 6 total attacks while piloting your SAMAS.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011

RG-IS Rapid Acceleration Electromagnetic Rail Gun

Range: 2 Miles
    Damage: 3d6x10 MD
    Payload: 100 Rounds
    Weight: 867 lbs
    Limitations: Must engage anti-recoil system as a free action or the shot will be wild (the Kraken might be adversely effected by the firing of the weapon)

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    (the Kraken might be adversely effected by the firing of the weapon)

Your point being.....?

Lucy stands, planting herself firmly on the rear deck of the Kraken, fixing her supports in place. (hooray free action)

"A long gun says you...." She purrs over the comm, stowing her double-up away and then fluidly grabbing her Boom Gun off her back, "Boom baby says I....." She takes aim with the weapon, "Clear the breach boys!" Then she fires at the lead SAM, giggling with girlish delight as the weapon bucks in her grip, mini-thrusters roaring and metal squealing as her suit fights to stay upright while she sends a hail of hot metal death at the pursuing flyers.

To hit:
    3d6+3=14

Damage for if I hit:
    3d6*10=110

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    Zed, could you make a Dodge roll for me, please?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »

You should have 2 attacks left still, Mace; you have 6 total attacks while piloting your SAMAS.

Yes! I forgot the extra from Boxing!

Steelhawk on
    edited January 2011
    Zed, could you make a Dodge roll for me, please?

3d6+7=20

Boom.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    is there any negative effects on my enhanced senses due to the very loud boom gun being shot less than 150 feet to my left?

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited January 2011
    Tooled-up as it may be, the old tanker wasn't designed to absorb the recoil from a weapon like the Boom Gun. The section Lucy is bracing against crumples as if struck by God's own fist, and the whole trailer jacknifes violently to the right; Josh backflips in his 'mech to avoid being steamrolled into the ground. The hitch keeping the unit attached to the tractor snaps, and occupants, tires and equipment are thrown onto the road & into the ditch as it goes into a roll. It stops upside-down in a heap of twisted metal.

Clankswagger pulls a u-turn with the tractor and starts barreling toward the survivors, hollering, "YA' CRAZY GITS! WE D' NAUGH HAVE TH' LUX'RY T' BE DOGGIN' 'ER! CLAMBER ABOARD OR B' LEFT T' LADY FATE!"

Deimos and Athren were among the lucky aboard the Kraken's trailer - they both leapt & tumbled out of the vehicle with no injury, though the deafening roar of the Boom Gun left them dazed and, well, temporarily deaf - along with Big Jim, Mace and Josh. Lucy was not so lucky; she couldn't disengage the pylons securing her to the bed of the trailer in time, and her suit is currently trapped in the wreck.

The half of the crew that weren't mega-damage D-Bees and the subdued CS pilot were all killed.

In the sky far away, the 'SAMs break formation as the rail gun projectile zips their way; it buzzes by the leader's head (Dodged!). The leader's wingmen fire off volleys of plasma missiles - one at Big Jim's cycle, the other at Mace - trying to scatter their targets. The missiles are shot out of the sky by plasma bolts & rail gun fire before they can hit their targets (Jim and Mace used 2 attacks to shoot the incoming missile volleys).

The trio then zips ahead, closing to 1600 feet and readying their rail guns.

Lucy sustained 6 Mega-Damage, and her Glitter Girl suit sustained 8 Mega-Damage. She is trapped in the wreckage of the Kraken's trailer and must surrender the rest of her attacks for this melee and the next one digging herself out of the debris. On the plus side, she can't be shot at.

Mace and Josh are deafened for 3 minutes, while Big Jim, Deimos and Athren are deafened for 5 minutes. While deafened, you are at -8 Initiative, -3 to Dodge and -3 to Parry.

The first melee is nearly finished - The SAMAS suits used their remaining actions to close distance while they were out of everyone's weapon ranges.

Jim has 1 attack remaining, Josh has 5 (fuckin' juicer). All other party members are out of actions.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Totally worth it for the effect. Since I'm not in combat with Supernatural beasties however, I'm pulped in my suit if I'm reading that right.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    Totally worth it for the effect. Since I'm not in combat with Supernatural beasties however, I'm pulped in my suit if I'm reading that right.

No; your body armor absorbed the damage.

Also: I am eternally grateful that we were playing this game on a forum; I had to page through 3 different fucking books to resolve that collision. I'm pretty sure that would've killed the game right there.

Fucking Rifts.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Thank the maker. Still totally worth it for the sheer havoc.

Lucy fired the gun, and as the thrusters roared, her world went upside down, metal howling and screaming in protest as it twisted around her, then darkness.

Gunfire, the distinctive whine of missiles.

"Move it you lazy she-dogs!" She ordered the squad. Frontline missions were the worst, the biggest chance someone wouldn't be coming home. She braced in place with the gun, loading crew ready. She blew apart a rank of soldiers, her troop's smaller grade (but not much less devastating) fire chewing up the remnants of the advancing enemy. She ducked back behind cover, energy beams whizzing past. The armor could handle the hit, but why mar the paint job over something so silly? She heard a loud thrumming overhead.

"Gunship!" Came the call over the comms....

Lucy snapped awake, buried in a coffin of her own design, like queen of old. She shook out the cobwebs with a growl and began booting up the Gigi's OS again. The machine faltered briefly. She smacked the side of the cockpit and she roared to life, began to bend the metal holding her in. She hoped the others were alright....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    well one action left, and if they are within firing range I wanna nuke the guy who just shot at me, I really don't like people shooting at me. As we are off my original path do I need to roll a new attack? and can I get a forward description?

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited January 2011
    Not to nitpick, but doesn't powered armor and the like have sonic dampeners and whatnot to protect against really loud noises on the battlefield?

Jim & Josh: GO GET 'EM!

Steelhawk on
    edited January 2011
    shooting the leader. had to reroll due to the fact that a called shot requires two attacks, which I don't have.

Jim fires off a shot at the lead suit. He really didn't like being shot at.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor