As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »
    What in the hell, why do I do it. Why do I look at official forums? I mean, gah.

The only reason I do such things is to look for Dev posts.

I looked in on a thread about raiding. Apparently someone from an eight man team had gotten disconnected and the game automatically put a random in his place. The random had been waiting an hour plus in the queue. When the seven asked him to leave so they could get their eighth person back (note: there is no way to do this. They had more of a chance of getting another random person in the queue then their missing mate, who would be towards the end of the queue), he said, essentially, "Ya know, I waited way too long, lets just do this." So the seven people did what any rational person would.

What's that? Leave, reinvite their teammate and begin anew, thus allowing the old instance to fill with other people from the queue and everyone continues happy? Shit no, they threw a hissy fit and refused to leave or continue with the raid until he left.

Its like a retard standoff that ends with people bitching on the forums with none of them asking why the game doesn't save the character status so the dropped member can log right back into the instance and continue after only a slight delay.

It was amazing. Siding with the premade apparently meant you were elitist, agreeing with the random meant you were defending a broken system and anything in between was trolling.

Docshifty on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welp, I hit 30. Haven't actually done anything besides run around the Hall of Doom at 30 finding quests yet, but I'll get to it tonight. Already planning my next Character. Mental/Hand Blast/Circe sounds fun.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What does the stars beside the Duos, PvP Legends, Areas and what not means? I'm thinking it means more chance of items drop.

samurai6966 on
    edited January 2011
    Supposedly it's the daily "recommendation" making it drop more loot.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What does the stars beside the Duos, PvP Legends, Areas and what not means? I'm thinking it means more chance of items drop.

I know doing the star duo gives you one mark of distinction in addition to two triumph, dunno about the others.

Docshifty on
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been wondering that myself, in regards to the Legends and Arena matches. I've been doing the stared ones and near as I can tell there is no extra bonus, besides really short queues since everyone is doing them.

Cururu on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does this game do friend keys or some such thing? I wanted to try this game out, but I'm pretty sure my comp is just on the edge of whether or not it could handle the graphics, and I can't spend $60 on something that may not even run properly. :(

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    Does this game do friend keys or some such thing? I wanted to try this game out, but I'm pretty sure my comp is just on the edge of whether or not it could handle the graphics, and I can't spend $60 on something that may not even run properly. :(

Yeah, but only boxed copies got a friend code, and I think most of us that got it in a store gave them away already.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just got done with the Aquaman mission Wonder Woman gives you and I swear; if I didn't love other parts of this game so damn much that mission would have been the end of this game for me. I hate dying so much to swarming enemies! Very much head+desk time, and this isn't the only mission that's had me doing that (i'm looking at you Sinestro!)

Still, I got it done, and since I leveled up I appear to have opened up the next level of Acrobat races which are my absolute favourite thing to do ever. Somehow, I don't know why, doing those races makes me feel like the last 3 panels in this image.

So yeah, definately a game that brings out conflicting emotions in me, which hasn't happened since WoW (which is a positive thing btw).

Euphoriac on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    So I just got done with the Aquaman mission Wonder Woman gives you and I swear; if I didn't love other parts of this game so damn much that mission would have been the end of this game for me. I hate dying so much to swarming enemies! Very much head+desk time, and this isn't the only mission that's had me doing that (i'm looking at you Sinestro!)

Still, I got it done, and since I leveled up I appear to have opened up the next level of Acrobat races which are my absolute favourite thing to do ever. Somehow, I don't know why, doing those races makes me feel like the last 3 panels in this image.

So yeah, definately a game that brings out conflicting emotions in me, which hasn't happened since WoW (which is a positive thing btw).

I did the GL missions last night, and the Manhunter in the Metropolis city hall was a motherloving bitch and a half. The GL NPCs were bugged so that they wouldn't really help, and the Manhunter itself does so much damage and heals itself that it took me a good 10 tries and 2 levels before I could beat it.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

I did the GL missions last night, and the Manhunter in the Metropolis city hall was a motherloving bitch and a half. The GL NPCs were bugged so that they wouldn't really help, and the Manhunter itself does so much damage and heals itself that it took me a good 10 tries and 2 levels before I could beat it.

Yeah, well those stupid green ring-bearing buffoons aren't much use even when they stop bugging. I got lucky in my only successful run, and he didn't pay much attention to me, which meant I got to live long enough to kill him. Stupid stupid stupid.

Euphoriac on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, well those stupid green ring-bearing buffoons aren't much use even when they stop bugging. I got lucky in my only successful run, and he didn't pay much attention to me, which meant I got to live long enough to kill him. Stupid stupid stupid.
    That one was annoying. All they did the first time I tried was fly to the doorway...and recite their motto...the entire motto...slowly...as Manhunter caved in my skull. I did manage it in a couple more tries, but it required sneakiness, and I heal barrel, I think.

The one good thing about them is that you get a feat if you beat Manhunter with them all down.

Cururu on
    edited January 2011
    I feel very useless at 30. I can't seem to do shit on missions. The difficulty got ramped up a ton.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011
    On the subject of feats, what are those points used for?

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    On the subject of feats, what are those points used for?
    For every 100 feat points received you get one extra skill point to use on weapon or movement skills. And since feats usually come in incriments of 10, 25, or 50 points, it's rather easy to get quite a few extra without trying too hard.

Cururu on
    edited January 2011
    Ahhhhhh, I see.

......I thought they were some kind of 360 Achievement thing used only for bragging rights :oops:

TexiKen on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel very useless at 30. I can't seem to do shit on missions. The difficulty got ramped up a ton.

I feel the same. I'm a Controller, so I can't heal myself, and I can't take a lot of hits. For the solo-challenge missions, I can't do Poison Ivy at all, the boss fight destroys me. Robin > Adds > Robin > Big Guy, and by the time I get to the big guy I only have about half my health left, and when he summons those 5 or 6 little guys I'm done. I can jump around the room and roll forever and not die but I also never deal any damage.

The only way I can beat the Funhouse Challenge is to totally cheese Harley. I have acrobatics so everytime she comes at me with the hammer I jump on a pillar and stay there until she stuns herself, then I jump down and heal to full with this infinitely respawning health barrel.

I can't even do standard level 30 missions, for example the Brother Eye dungeon, just get my ass kicked...I do decent damage but I just take so much damage myself, it's ridiculous, and not having any healing + low defense makes me useless by myself in the long boss fights. It's pretty much at the point where any armor that has more Health and Defense than I currently have gets equipped regardless of what it means for my damage or stuns.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kemal86 wrote: »

I feel the same. I'm a Controller, so I can't heal myself, and I can't take a lot of hits. For the solo-challenge missions, I can't do Poison Ivy at all, the boss fight destroys me. Robin > Adds > Robin > Big Guy, and by the time I get to the big guy I only have about half my health left, and when he summons those 5 or 6 little guys I'm done. I can jump around the room and roll forever and not die but I also never deal any damage.

The only way I can beat the Funhouse Challenge is to totally cheese Harley. I have acrobatics so everytime she comes at me with the hammer I jump on a pillar and stay there until she stuns herself, then I jump down and heal to full with this infinitely respawning health barrel.

I can't even do standard level 30 missions, for example the Brother Eye dungeon, just get my ass kicked...I do decent damage but I just take so much damage myself, it's ridiculous, and not having any healing + low defense makes me useless by myself in the long boss fights. It's pretty much at the point where any armor that has more Health and Defense than I currently have gets equipped regardless of what it means for my damage or stuns.

Do you buy Soda Cola extremes?

I'm a 30 controller and have little trouble on the solo alerts and find i'm incredibly useful in groups as well.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
    edited January 2011

I'm a 30 controller and have little trouble on the solo alerts and find i'm incredibly useful in groups as well.
    There's actually no real reason to buy the Soder Cola Extremes. Once you hit level thirty the prize for the New Hero/Villain bounties quest is two of them. And, for some reason, taking out enemies in Legends matches counts (arena does too, but that makes sense) toward that total. Just stand next to the wanted poster, get into whatever PvP queue is hot, take out some enemies, and turn in your quest. You can repeat this as many times as needed. The best part is that you're earning Influence / Marks of Victory at the same time. The Influence in particular is useful since it can be used to buy very powerful weapons that are useful in both PvP and PvE.

Cururu on
    edited January 2011
    Oh and if anyone's wondering, I found a vendor outside the S.T.A.R. Labs building that offers skin styles for a few thousand each. And here I was thinking we were stuck with the default much like powers... :D

Euphoriac on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you think the game's too hard, go tot he item tab then R1 over to stats. check if your defense (usually around 500-1700) is in the negavites.

mine's -5 right now. some people have gotten -100 defense. this can be fixed via restarting sometimes.

in short, there's a new glitch and maybe that's why you're all getting your asses whooped

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spoilering parts of the quote tree for huge.

I haven't been using the Extreme colas and am not sure how much a difference it could make, for example, fighting the last phase of Poison Ivy against the giant tree + spawns of 5-6 sprout adds, they could take away my entire health bar before the cola comes off cooldown unless I spend the entire cooldown defending/rolling. It is entirely possible I just totally suck at the game. Pretty much my choices in combat feel limited to either:

1) Stand still and attack / move and attack. I do decent damage but my health just drops, and since I have no self healing and the cooldown for colas is so long it feels like every time I take damage I'm digging myself in a huge hole I won't be able to get out of, makes everything super stressful.

2) Defend / roll around the room. I try and avoid as much as I can, stalling in hopes the boss stuns itself (like Harley) or switches to a different target like a friendly NPC. Don't do any damage while doing this, and if I attack, my movement speed becomes gimped for 5 seconds or so which prevents me from getting away again. Usually do this while waiting for sodas to come off cooldown, but it takes so long to whittle down the boss this way, and I go through so many sodas as well. I've just been using all the sodas I stockpiled while leveling at this point and I'm pretty sure once I run out I'll go broke if I have to continue this strategy.

I'd like to mention that this only started at level 29 and 30. While leveling up I felt like I totally dominated everything and never really had any problems (One boss in a solo mission gave me trouble). I certainly feel that either there is a tangible jump in difficulty at level 29 and 30, or that the game didn't do a good enough job as I approached 30 with giving me enough gear upgrades for the challenge that was coming.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It often takes me at least a couple attempts to do the Ivy challenge on my controller, but I can usually manage the last fight (eventually) if I bring a defensive power loadout, use controller mode, and take my time with it. Doesn't hurt that I took flight on that character, giving me a fairly cheesy way to take out the waves of little guys with a Mass Levitate, as well as giving me easier access to the restoration barrel at the top of the tree. The worst part about it is how the enemies will often bust restoration barrels if they get near them, which can make the attempt a whole lot harder.

Dizzen on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not having as much fun at 30 with my hand blasting sorcerer. I rerolled an acrobatic gadgetry archer and the first 12 levels have been about four times more enjoyable than leveling my sorcerer.

Acrobatics is just godly on a PvP server. Wall grapple = safety from ganking 30s.

Morvidus on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tried nature shapeshifting route to 8, seemed so-so

Then I made another dude in illusion up to around 8. I went for the disguise ability, but after that opening, i cant do much.

Then I made Ice and chose Storm powers. WOW. FUN!!! I am really enjoying him with his big 2H weapon. I made a Knight costume and have a big axe and stuff. I chose Flight too because I didnt try flight yet. Seems neat, but travels kinda slow. I am enjoying the Storm powers and they seem really strong. Almost took a level 8 down while I was level 5.

FlipprDolphin on
    edited January 2011
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

I have a friend code still

:)

FlipprDolphin on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ALRIGHT GUYS READ ME

Wont be long until I put the new OP together, so if there is -anything- you want me to add to it please PM it to me. Not like I can't edit it afterwards, but still.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I present to you.... Dapperman!

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-26-2112160.jpg

My Villain on whatever the name of the server is where we have our PVE Villain group.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited January 2011

Then I made another dude in illusion up to around 8. I went for the disguise ability, but after that opening, i cant do much.

Then I made Ice and chose Storm powers. WOW. FUN!!! I am really enjoying him with his big 2H weapon. I made a Knight costume and have a big axe and stuff. I chose Flight too because I didnt try flight yet. Seems neat, but travels kinda slow. I am enjoying the Storm powers and they seem really strong. Almost took a level 8 down while I was level 5.

Aww c'mon man I just logged off! Stop inspiring me! I've been playing most of the day already.

What a nice day though. Spent most of it collecting Briefings and Collections from around Metropolis and the HIVE moonbase.

So much stuff to do that just...works. I'm worried this is leading to burnout, which HAS happened before on many occasions (usually when the free period runs out). Fingers crossed!

Euphoriac on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't want to take any shape shifting powers on my character that is capable of doing so because they re not thematically appropriate for my character. May have to remake with some other power set, but nothing that is available strikes my fancy for that one.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of Shapeshifting, is that subset a dps set? Or do they still consider Shapeshifters to be healers since it is part of Nature?

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah... Turns out the reason I felt useless in missions was because I was trying to do the group missions. Kinda sad. I had no problem with the actual solo challenge maps except for the stupid Robin one. I just really suck at that one. Got myself some epic boots off Supergirl though.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ahhhhhh, I see.

......I thought they were some kind of 360 Achievement thing used only for bragging rights :oops:

You're not alone. The gamespot reviewer completely failed to realize that achievements are DCUO's form of AA at 30. O_o

tdewey10 on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder what new power sets will be introduced in the future. I've heard that Light will be one in a Green Lantern expansion, but I'd also like to see electricity. And MORE CITIES.

Ceno on
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there are large areas that don't have anything in them now, so they have plenty of room to expand in the current world. I'd kind of like to see them flesh out the current stuff a bit more before moving onto other cities and such.

MasterofPupets: my brother and I ran into that same problem hero side. We "thought" we were doing a quest continuing the batcave/brainiac storyline, but instead we walked into the 8-man raid dungeon. I'll just say this: those swarms of robots were not kind.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
    edited January 2011

Aww c'mon man I just logged off! Stop inspiring me! I've been playing most of the day already.

What a nice day though. Spent most of it collecting Briefings and Collections from around Metropolis and the HIVE moonbase.

So much stuff to do that just...works. I'm worried this is leading to burnout, which HAS happened before on many occasions (usually when the free period runs out). Fingers crossed!

The funniest thing is when he does his ice powers with his 2H weapon. Someone go make a LARGE character, ice, and 2H weapon. I think its the 2nd power in storm, some ice blast thing.

Looks like his is whacking off when he does it, REALLY REALLY funny. The power shoots from the top of his weapon, which is pointed towards the enemy, and he is like pumping the weapon or something.

Hilarious

FlipprDolphin on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Speaking of Shapeshifting, is that subset a dps set? Or do they still consider Shapeshifters to be healers since it is part of Nature?

Shapeshifting is no more focused on DPS than Plants. Perhaps less, actually (especially since Plants has Impaling Thorns, a really expensive but powerful ability). To put it simply, plants have more direct healing, while Shapeshifting is less direct.

As far as healing related abilities go, Plants have five. Blossom, Bloom, and Cross Pollination are the obvious ones. While in healing mode, Savage Growth produces Pheromones, while Harvest consumes Pheromones and heals those who had them. (However, those latter two are fairly lousy for their healing effects, especially considering Harvest's casting time. Supplementary at best).

For shapeshifting, you've got up to six healing abilties, depending on how you count them. Metabolism heals the team over time, and Regeneration (a supercharge move) restores both health and power for the team over time. There's also Swarm Shield, which protects the caster and one teammate. In healing mode, Roar will heal those in its area of effect (as well as the character using it). Insectoid Form boosts some healing stuff (though it is kinda buggy at the moment, pun not regretted). And Hive Mind is a group buff that strongly boosts healing.

Dizzen on
  • ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The instance queues are completely borked. They always say 0-5 minutes and an hour later I still won't be in. It's been two days since I've been able to do an Alert and I've been playing a LOT.

ffaristocrat on
  • ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WolveSight wrote: »
    there are large areas that don't have anything in them now, so they have plenty of room to expand in the current world. I'd kind of like to see them flesh out the current stuff a bit more before moving onto other cities and such.

I expect to see a lot of the bottled buildings get unbottled over the next few months.

ffaristocrat on
    edited January 2011
    Someone invite me into the pvp hero guild

name: iskall

FlipprDolphin on
This discussion has been closed.