As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I won't pretend to know the specifics, but apparently pc demos can be used to crack the games and get them on torrent sites faster. So that's a pretty big incentive not to make one right there I guess.

Darlan on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    I won't pretend to know the specifics, but apparently pc demos can be used to crack the games and get them on torrent sites faster. So that's a pretty big incentive not to make one right there I guess.

Release a demo the day of the game's release then. Not everybody buys a game day one and it's a fair compromise.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PC demos are a pain in the ass to get out the door before shipping. Generally the console-specific bugs get fixed first and then when they're in certification you do the PC-specific bugs since all you have to do to get a PC game out the door is put it in a box. There's probably no PC demo because the PC market is small (comparatively) and it's just not done yet.

zilo on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The game is fun, the graphics are great and the dialogue makes me embarrassed to play it in front of my wife. Seriously, Epic? Poop hole?

It always makes me shake my head when a game is all RAWRMATUREAUDIENCESONLYMOTHAFUCKARAWR!!!! It's like it's designed to be played in secret by a little kid whose dad happens to be a gamer.

Dad: "Now Billy, you aren't allowed to play any of the games on this shelf up here. And don't look at those DVD cases, either."

Billy: "Challenge accepted."

I never turn on language filters, but if this game had one, I think I would. I have nothing against swearing when it feels natural. But this is just a pathetic attempt at being badass. It fails miserably.

Fawst on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It really is meant to be over the top and immature. Shamelessly so. There are so many games that try to be highbrow and mature and grown-up only to feel the need to appeal to the adolescent audience by making the abnormally attractive female lead/assistant strip down to her underwear or punctuating its dialogue with 'realistic' language. At least Bulletstorm knows what it is and where its audience lies. No, I don't expect I'll be buying it, but I appreciate its honesty.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Played through the demo a couple of times now. It's the crazy bullshit you can pull off that keeps you coming back. Like lassoing a mine around a dude and then kicking him into a pack of his buddies, then thumping them into the air for a massive explosion.

In my two playthroughs, though, I've already hit the "running up an invisible stairway with no way down" bug, a la Mass Effect 2. Does not bode well.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand the complaints about the dialog, but I guess I'm just too busy lighting faces on fire while kicking dudes off cliffs. Maybe I just don't hear it over the crazy shit I'm doing.

After all the "GRIM DARK SERIOUS" shooters we've had recently, I'm glad to get my hands on a 'Crank'-styled game that's just goes "fuck story, fuck trying to be art, go shoot some dudes in the craziest way you can think of". Shadow Warrior meets Vanquish, if you will.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Number 29 on the leaderboards. Jesus this is addicting.

Mechanical on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, just beat the demo. This game is batshit retarded, and for some reason that is intriguing to me.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2011
    Tried the demo last night, and while I still don't think it's the kind of game I'll be buying (reminds me a lot of The Club, and I'm just not one for chasing high scores), I was surprised by how fun it was. Also found both myself and my girlfriend laughing along at the over-the-top-ness of it all.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When is the PSN demo coming out?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Now that the demo is out and all, can anybody give those of us without the drop?

How's the mechanics? Regenerating health, cover, iron sights? Do we get to hold all the weapons at one time? Does every weapon have an alt fire?

I'm craving here, people. I need information.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    Now that the demo is out and all, can anybody give those of us without the drop?

How's the mechanics? Regenerating health, cover, iron sights? Do we get to hold all the weapons at one time? Does every weapon have an alt fire?

You have regenerating health and lots of it. All guns in the demo have a zoomed in aim though its not always useful. All the demo weaps have an alt fire, which is usually a souped up shot. Its bug fuck nuts and I loved every god damn second of it.

I also love the adolescent humor they are going for here. Its like taking the testotersone of a gears of war, taking out anything serious and then throwing in a lot of penis humor for shits and grins.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

You have regenerating health and lots of it. All guns in the demo have a zoomed in aim though its not always useful. All the demo weaps have an alt fire, which is usually a souped up shot. Its bug fuck nuts and I loved every god damn second of it.

I also love the adolescent humor they are going for here. Its like taking the testotersone of a gears of war, taking out anything serious and then throwing in a lot of penis humor for shits and grins.

Dick-tits.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2011
    Exactly. And its hilarious to hear it coming from Stephen Blum. Second game where's he's got to do that (first one being Mad World) his voice really fits with the "Don't give a shit" vibe they have.

I'm sure this will be a blast to play multi as well, chaining together new and horrific ways to murder people.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Dick-tits.

and if that doesn't help, it is like the Mountain Dew extreme crew from the Harold and Kumar movie decided they wanted to make an FPS.. (same style knowing itself humor and then embracing it and taking it over the top like store kayaking)

EXTREME! POOP-HOLE! 35534 points!

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not once have I doubted the humour. I wouldn't dare blaspheme against such funtimes.

I just needed to hear those magic words: "alt fire all day, erryday". I need to know that PCF are still completely out of their minds and slap things together to make ultimate weapons of doom.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited January 2011
    Well again look at the previous postal 2 game to see where the game creators sense of humor lies. Twisted.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Not once have I doubted the humour. I wouldn't dare blaspheme against such funtimes.

I just needed to hear those magic words: "alt fire all day, erryday". I need to know that PCF are still completely out of their minds and slap things together to make ultimate weapons of doom.

There aren't cat silencers in the demo, but you get three weapons, an assault rifle thats alt fire is a charged up like one hit kill. A grenade launcher that I frankly forgot had an alt fire because its like a grenade bolo launcher that wraps grenades around dudes, and a pistol thats alt fire is some type of flare gun. You also have your energy whip that can be used to drag dudes too you, or you hold down its fire button and you set of an explosion that sends everyone flying for you to murder in creative ways in the air (once launched much like kicking a dude they are slowed down for maximum fuckery).

In the demo you find a beer and get "intoxicated" which screws up your aim, but gives you a bonus for killing dudes while wasted, also you can get poisoned and get a similar score modifier.

The enviroment is riddled with things to fuck guys up with in the small section, electrical current, exposed rebar, and even an elevator. Definately seems like variety is the key to life here.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Exactly. And its hilarious to hear it coming from Stephen Blum. Second game where's he's got to do that (first one being Mad World) his voice really fits with the "Don't give a shit" vibe they have.

I'm sure this will be a blast to play multi as well, chaining together new and horrific ways to murder people.

He was also the angry old general dude with the bionic arm in VANQUISH.

NotYou on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    NotYou wrote: »

He was also the angry old general dude with the bionic arm in VANQUISH.

The best part is the main basically sounds like he's imitating that voice the whole time. It's like listening to two earthquakes flex at each other.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Something I realized pretty quickly: if you only play the demo level once, you're not going to see the fun in the game. You'll be disoriented, confused and pretty much stick to just shooting things vanilla.

Play it at least 3 times. It's short (only 6 minutes or less), so multiple plays are easy to do. The first time, learn the mechanics. The second time, switch it up a bit. Do more kicking, do more leashing, use the environment. Third time, start to go crazy and brutalize some dudes. If by the third run you're not ripping shit up with a grin on your face, then it's probably not the game for you.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    edited January 2011
    If you can explosive bola a dude, kick him into a pack of his buddies, thumper them all into the air and then watch as they explode in a ball of gore and points without giggling like a madman you should probably check yourself into an old folks home.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Tank Dempsey IN SPACE.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2011
    Spike Spiegel apparently didn't die, he just got roided up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Giant Bomb Quick Look of the demo

This game looks shit hot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2011
    I like when people play a demo, and seemingly are really bad at it. I'm 2 minutes in and this giantbomb guy is pussying it up hiding behind cover.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    Is it even possible to die? I'm admittedly putting up scores that my grandmother could probably beat, but I've never died. Screen pulsing red, blood splatter, the whole works, but never death.

Cover is for the weak.

Also; the thumper is practically made for that room full of dudes that he had so much trouble with. 4x Voodoo Doll if you do it right.

OptimusZed on

• Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    With all the crazy things going on in the demo, I hope they put a part into the game where you can do things bullies used to say in the 80's.

Like a "rip off their head and pee down their throat" option or something outlandish like that.

Just seems like it would fit right in.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is it even possible to die? I'm admittedly putting up scores that my grandmother could probably beat, but I've never died. Screen pulsing red, blood splatter, the whole works, but never death.

Cover is for the weak.

Also; the thumper is practically made for that room full of dudes that he had so much trouble with. 4x Voodoo Doll if you do it right.

I'm sure it is, but I didn't. And he couldn't hit a dude in the ass for the life of him, but I got that and "first in last out." Which I'm terrified of what that means considering where I was shooting a guy when I got it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011

Cover is for the weak.

I'm sure it is, but I didn't. And he couldn't hit a dude in the ass for the life of him, but I got that and "first in last out." Which I'm terrified of what that means considering where I was shooting a guy when I got it.

That one comes from hitting a guy, and then liking him so much that you kill him last.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So this is great fun, but my score sucks.

Whuts up with that?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Whuts up with that?

Try eating some bacon before trying again

Turkey on
    edited January 2011
    I finally beat my first run's score. I think I've just been dicking around too much.

That, and I figured out that the second trigger pull on the flail triggers the explosion. Far more useful now.

OptimusZed on

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok. I had heard about this game, but didn't know there was a demo. How long has it been up?

Anyway, downloaded it while I was at work, came home and and just tried it out. I've only been through once, but wow it's fun. Kicking a guy into electrical wires was probably the funnest kill, but I'm sure there's way more just in the demo alone.

Environmental kills in any game are just fun. I use to love playing the Punisher game on Xbox.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best part is the main basically sounds like he's imitating that voice the whole time. It's like listening to two earthquakes flex at each other.

I'm writing this down, because that simile is awesome.

Zxerol on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Turkey wrote: »

Whuts up with that?

Try eating some bacon before trying again

Good idea!

om nom nom

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2011

Cover is for the weak.

That one comes from hitting a guy, and then liking him so much that you kill him last.

Man thats awesome, so kill order matters? Sweet. I guess I wasn't lying to sully.

I can't wait till the full game unlocks the list of kills you've done so you can see exactly what it means.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I played the demo for the first time today at my local game store. People were giving me weird looks when I was all "WHOOOOH!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!" Among various other interjections mixed with prepositions regarding the enemy's battered body.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited January 2011
    I have noticed I felt more angry? Or hyped after playing the demo, its definatley not something I'd play before having a sit down dinner with my inlaws.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net