As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the week 5-23-07

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    i have to be honest.
    marvel zombies traumatized me a lil and made me sick to my stomach the first little bit.

but its awesome that we can have the ultimate enemy now.

I've never understood what type of zombies they are. Why can they operate without a brain? They maintain their intelligence, but can't stop eating people? Also, why can the Wasp stay alive with just a head? I only read the hardback trade of it, which doesn't really tell much in the way of how it happened.

Langly on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Langly wrote: »
    delphinus wrote: »
    i have to be honest.
    marvel zombies traumatized me a lil and made me sick to my stomach the first little bit.

but its awesome that we can have the ultimate enemy now.

I've never understood what type of zombies they are. Why can they operate without a brain? They maintain their intelligence, but can't stop eating people? Also, why can the Wasp stay alive with just a head? I only read the hardback trade of it, which doesn't really tell much in the way of how it happened.

It's some kind of zombification that serves as an improvement over the conventional human form. At least, that's what Reed said before infecting his entire family with it (except for the kids, whom She-Hulk had eaten).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's what I'd consider a good start.

Crimsondude on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Woah woah woah. Can they transport to other dimensions with those frogs or are those fucking
    Galactus powered zombies in the 616 universe?

Plus can 2 Galactus exist at the same time?

DarkWarrior on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think they can live without a brain. Cap was missing part of his, but he seemed fine. But when it was all being removed by the Red Skull, he looked much more injured. Wasp's body was useless, but her head was fine since her brain was intact. I assume if they'd ever found Hawkeye's head, he'd be okay too.

And, they seem to retain more intelligence the more they've eaten. When they're well fed, they're able to concentrate on planning things, and some feel remorse for their actions. But, as they get hungrier, they seem less and less itelligent and human.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Woah woah woah. Can they transport to other dimensions with those frogs or are those fucking
    Galactus powered zombies in the 616 universe?

Plus can 2 Galactus exist at the same time?

Well at the end of the origional Zombies:
    Galactus shows up and the super zombies decide that thats alot of food. So they all try to take him down, and do. Then I don't remember weather Galactus's powers gave them the power to go to other universes and feed their hunger or if it was Zombie Reed fixing his interdimentional Device from way back when we first saw the zombies.

Bucketman on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are we really questioning science in a comic book

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Geebs wrote: »
    Iceman and Shadowcat went out in Ultimate X-Men, I'm pretty sure.

And I don't think they actually got together so much in the movie, either.

Actually Iceman was (and is still? don't remember) dating rogue, he kissed kitty once but that was it.
    The kiss was actually in a deleted scene. They took it out because it made everyone who watched it uncomfortable. Because Ellen Page looks like she's twelve.

It was so hard watching that movie.
    I was all "She's like 19! I'm (at the time) 21! Not creepy at all! WHY CAN'T I FIND HER HOT, GODDAMNIT!"
    So I guess it's a good sign. It means I'm not a pedo.

The Muffin Man on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Legacy

R2-FUCKING-D2

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Legacy

R2-FUCKING-D2

(no one cares)

Garlic Bread on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Legacy

R2-FUCKING-D2

(no one cares)

Oh man...don't stand by me, Keith. I don't wanna be in the blast zone.

Owenashi on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Actually Iceman was (and is still? don't remember) dating rogue, he kissed kitty once but that was it.
    The kiss was actually in a deleted scene. They took it out because it made everyone who watched it uncomfortable. Because Ellen Page looks like she's twelve.

I was all "She's like 19! I'm (at the time) 21! Not creepy at all! WHY CAN'T I FIND HER HOT, GODDAMNIT!"

I can't find her hot for an entirely different reason.

Preventative maintenance. D:

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

Huh?

The first movie I saw her in was Hard Candy, so there's my reason.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

Huh?

The first movie I saw her in was Hard Candy, so there's my reason.

"Preventative maintenance" is a phrase she uses to describe removing Jeff's testicles.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So more Madman apparently came out. I haven't read it yet, but that is a moment of the week for me.

DouglasDanger on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really liked when Humbug turned into the Guyver in Heroes for Hire. That was neat.

Spectre-x on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's some kind of zombification that serves as an improvement over the conventional human form. At least, that's what Reed said before infecting his entire family with it (except for the kids, whom She-Hulk had eaten).
    Improvement = no lips and your flesh rots and you look like shit?

Butler on
  • TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Butler wrote: »

To be fair, he'd just gone insane from seeing She-Hulk eat his children.

TylerXKJ on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Butler wrote: »

As I recall, the 'improvement' was that they basically barely needed to consume energy, were functionally immortal, etc.

It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but it did fit with the attitude of the FF in the original UFF/Zombie cross-over.

mattharvest on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Re: The last page of Cap:
    Who is that that wants to kill Tony? I mean, a lot of people are pissed at him, but who is that guy?

Also, nothing to contribute this week, I didn't have any books to pick up.

Me Too! on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Who is that that wants to kill Tony? I mean, a lot of people are pissed at him, but who is that guy?

Winter Soldier.

Mai-Kero on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Winter Soldier.

Formerly Bucky

Fencingsax on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Winter Soldier.

Formerly Bucky

Currently badass.

Mai-Kero on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate it when they do that. Winter Soldier is not going to kill Tony F****** Stark. He has a movie coming out.

graizur on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They have enough time to resurrect him before the movie.

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2007
    Yeah but they should have just tried to convince me that WS was just going to wreck his s***. That I could believe for at least a couple of seconds. I mean Tony can make him choke himself with his own cyborg arm. It's silly. It's the type of anger worship that happens in comics all the time. IE: Batman, Hulk, Punisher etc

graizur on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Yeah but they should have just tried to convince me that WS was just going to wreck his shit.

Uh, that is what we are supposed to believe. I dont think anyone citing that page actually thinks Tony is going to die. But we are all looking forward to Bucky trying.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Yeah but they should have just tried to convince me that WS was just going to wreck his shit.

Uh, that is what we are supposed to believe. I dont think anyone citing that page actually thinks Tony is going to die. But we are all looking forward to Bucky trying.

I do not enjoy watching people fail. I know it sounds strange. Seriously, no sarcasm. When I read some character saying with an angry face "I am going to go do the impossible" I don't root for the underdog.

graizur on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I do not enjoy watching people fail. I know it sounds strange. Seriously, no sarcasm. When I read some character saying with an angry face "I am going to go do the impossible" I don't root for the underdog.

Dude its a classic comic set-up for a hero. He's gonna get a CHANCE to kill Tony and 1.) he won't take it because he'll either decide Tony isn't worth it, or 2.) he'll finally come to a moral understanding and decide it isn't the right thing to do and walk away. Neither of those involve Bucky failing, nor do they involve him actually killing Tony. And I'm sure there are other scenarios with similar outcomes that I'm not thinking of.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

You aren't unique, most people read these books to see the hero triumph, not fail. Seriously, no sarcasm.

That whole post is one huge contradiction. They are the underdog if they attempt to do the impossible. You don't like the hero to fail, but you don't root for him either?

I hate to tell you, but one of the most prevalent characteristics of a comic book hero is that they will take on all odds to stand up for themselves or others. It's more than a little weird to expect someone like Captain America to weight the odds and make a rational decision about fighting super-villains. I know I wouldn't enjoy reading him say "You know, fuck the fate of the universe, I'm not going to risk my neck fighting Thanos today." If that's what you're looking for, you're invested in the wrong genre.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Iroh wrote: »

You aren't unique, most people read these books to see the hero triumph, not fail. Seriously, no sarcasm.

That whole post is one huge contradiction. They are the underdog if they attempt to do the impossible. You don't like the hero to fail, but you don't root for him either?

I hate to tell you, but one of the most prevalent characteristics of a comic book hero is that they will take on all odds to stand up for themselves or others. It's more than a little weird to expect someone like Captain America to weight the odds and make a rational decision about fighting super-villains. I know I wouldn't enjoy reading him say "You know, fuck the fate of the universe, I'm not going to risk my neck fighting Thanos today." If that's what you're looking for, you're invested in the wrong genre.

It has nothing to do with Winter Soldier's odds of winning (though I did mention his robot arm etc) more to do with Tony Stark/Iron Man being a Marvel cash cow with a movie coming out AND his low odds.

graizur on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It has nothing to do with Winter Soldier's odds of winning (though I did mention his robot arm etc) more to do with Tony Stark/Iron Man being a Marvel cash cow with a movie coming out AND his low odds.
    Actually, on this note. How much of a cash cow? How many people bought Spider-Man comics because of the movies? I sincerely doubt that killing off Iron Man and replacing him with Gleep the Iron Monkey would make more than the tiniest of ripples on anyone's radar unless they were reading the comic already.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Actually, on this note. How much of a cash cow? How many people bought Spider-Man comics because of the movies? I sincerely doubt that killing off Iron Man and replacing him with Gleep the Iron Monkey would make more than the tiniest of ripples on anyone's radar unless they were reading the comic already.

Exactly. The Spider-Man 3 ad campaign only reinforces it. They went so far as to nearly dedicate a new story arc in the comics to drum up interest for the movie, but the movie did nothing to encourage people to start buying books.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Iroh wrote: »

Exactly. The Spider-Man 3 ad campaign only reinforces it. They went so far as to nearly dedicate a new story arc in the comics to drum up interest for the movie, but the movie did nothing to encourage people to start buying books.

That is a good point. Besides existing (that is making the name famous) what COULD a movie do to bring people to the comic?

graizur on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Giving away a good single issue story with each ticket purchase wouldn't hurt. I mean, when I went to see The Punisher, I got a copy of his first appearance in Spider-Man, and I asked myself, "What the fuck is Marvel thinking?" Why give audience members some crappy Punisher story starring the Jackal and Spider-Man, which did not fit the tone of the movie at all, rather than a good single issue of Punisher MAX or Ennis' early Marvel Knights stuff? Something modern, that doesn't make audiences think of comics as just another diversion for children and developmentally stunted man-boys.

Urgh.

Munch on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Giving away a good single issue story with each ticket purchase wouldn't hurt. I mean, when I went to see The Punisher, I got a copy of his first appearance in Spider-Man, and I asked myself, "What the fuck is Marvel thinking?" Why give audience members some crappy Punisher story starring the Jackal and Spider-Man, which did not fit the tone of the movie at all, rather than a good single issue of Punisher MAX or Ennis' early Marvel Knights stuff? Something modern, that doesn't make audiences think of comics as just another diversion for children and developmentally stunted man-boys.

Urgh.

Would've been a little confusing again. Punisher MAX and movie Punisher are still polar opposites.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I went to an early screening of Hellboy and was given a single issue containing the one shot story "The Corpse." It was awesome (and I dug the movie too) so I bought the first couple Hellboy trades later that week.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Synthetic Orange on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate it when they do that. Winter Soldier is not going to kill Tony F****** Stark. He has a movie coming out.

Holy fuck you are seriously the most idiotic poster

It's a character in a comic book universe. He wouldn't say, "Well I would like to kill Tony Stark for causing my best friend's death, but he has a movie coming out in the real world so I guess I'll just give him a stern talking to!"

I mean, do you think before you type things?

Garlic Bread on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey guys, Tony Stark is gonna be in a movie soon. I guess that means he can't be in stories, because you know it would be pointless. Because he is gonna be in a movie.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!