As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I thought Bulletstorm might be fun, even if the dialogue makes you die a little inside.
    Holy crap.
    Finally tried the demo. The gameplay is pure fun. That rarely happens these days. Suddenly a day one purchase for me.

vamen on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is it even possible to die? I'm admittedly putting up scores that my grandmother could probably beat, but I've never died. Screen pulsing red, blood splatter, the whole works, but never death.

Cover is for the weak.

Also; the thumper is practically made for that room full of dudes that he had so much trouble with. 4x Voodoo Doll if you do it right.

I died. But I'm terrible at FPS games.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here are a few score tips:

At the elevator part, don't call it down right away and don't use the chain gun. What I do is flail gun one guy, screamer gun someone else (so they all start on fire), wait a second, then use the leash launcher to knock them all in the air. If I time it right, the flail will explode as they get launched and it's like 300 points per person. Then I wait at the switch and do it all again on the second group of guys. *Then* I hit the switch and clean up the 3-4 guys left.

Environment kills are worth a lot, but get extra points by wrapping them up with the flail gun first (so you get a shocker AND a sadist at the same time).

At certain points enemies will line up in a straight line. Overcharge the assault rifle and get an x-ray on them, even after the first one, they are worth a lot.

Make sure you use 6 total charged up screamers and 6 total leash launches, those get you a lot of points.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finally cracked that third star.

It turns out that lighting people on fire before you kick them into their buddies and explode them all racks up points pretty darn quick.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nice tips Ratsult. Finally managed to beat my friends scores thanks to them, ending up on 11k.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Broke 10,000. Feels good. Still pretty sloppy. I made a lil video of a playthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_JxzziXs14

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That looks super fun, but also like it would be much easier with KB & M. All the videos i've seen people seem to have trouble hitting anything accurately and reacting fast enough to chain moves together.

Also seems to be a bit of problem with the Crysis Beta, where everybody is complaining that it's like a sluggish CoD likely because they aren't using the powers.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know, me and my friends didn't have any trouble aiming and we could get some pretty good combos going..

And I don't think its because they aren't using the powers that it feels sluggish more the horrendous lag, almost everyone I've seen has been using powers.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I haven't felt hamstrung by the Xbox controls so far. I only play what few FPS games I do on the Xbox, though.

I'm not having any trouble landing a Grenade Gag or Gag Reflex basically at will.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I'm not going to bother playing this on a console. Every time I see somebody playing a console shooter I feel embarassed by how horrible the aiming is >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As someone who plays shooters primarily on the PC, it controls fine on the console. I prefer the PS3 pad over the 360 one, though I can aim and pull off trickshots just fine on the consoles.

It helps if you up the sensitivity and disable all the aim assists

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I haven't felt hamstrung by the Xbox controls so far. I only play what few FPS games I do on the Xbox, though.

I'm not having any trouble landing a Grenade Gag or Gag Reflex basically at will.

Yeah only issue I have is deciding which weapon to murderate them with. I hope the real game has this massive of a health bar as well.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Precision really isn't mandated here. Just throwing that out there.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Unless you really, really want to shoot someone in the asshole.

For an example watch Giant Bomb's quick look. Granted it was being played by Brad.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Mechanical wrote: »

Unless you really, really want to shoot someone in the asshole.

For an example watch Giant Bomb's quick look. Granted it was being played by Brad.

The guy playing on giantbomb was fairly poor, I mean he couldn't even get rear entry despite trying for it repeatedly.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am just going off some of the Giantbomb videos, plus a few others. It seems like the people playing have difficulty being in the right place to line mulitple enemies up, hit very small areas or hit enemies into environmental kills. All cases where precise control helps significantly.

As for Crysis, the original game felt pretty sluggish and generic until you learned how to use the powers properly i.e. speed launching off a rock into the sky then then strength punching a hut full of enemies to pieces. Maybe the many complaints are partly because lots of people haven't worked it out yet (it took me a while). The movement looks pretty much the same as in 1.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    With the giant bomb guy I can't trust someones opinion on controls when he immediately goes to the "I need a mouse" crutch. I mean this is also a guy who had to keep going to cover and waiting, this is not a game where you do either!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can we not have the whole pc fps vs. console fps debate here? Both are just fine.

As good as you think you are at fps games with a mouse, I guarantee there is someone better with a controller, and vice versa.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm just amazed at how consistently horrible some reviewers are at games when I see them actually playing the games they review.

Drake on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's why I usually just come here and ask you guys about the games. I don't trust reviewers.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Can we not have the whole pc fps vs. console fps debate here? Both are just fine.

As good as you think you are at fps games with a mouse, I guarantee there is someone better with a controller, and vice versa.

I agree, I just hate when someone is playing a console game and thats their complaint "Man I need a mouse." Ok then get someone at your stupid review site who doesn't and lets watch him play the fucking demo. I mean I'm no Ron Jeremy but I've gotten plenty of rear entries and its not impossible with a 360 controller.

It does put "difficulty" complaints into line when you see how bad reviewers are at video games.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Brad of Giant Bomb isn't bad per se, he just does this thing where he makes near baseless presumptions.

Like while playing the Bulletstorm demo, he did the Leash Thump move once, and the guy he did it against died because he hit a ceiling. This apparently told him that the leash move is a one hit kill, and didn't do it again until someone told him otherwise.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ahh makes sense, I mean he just didn't seem that knowledgeable, yet tried to act like he was. I guess it might have helped if that was a guided demo. Though its not like people can't just play the thing themselves and make their own choices.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My main problem is that it takes an act of will to switch back to the carbine to get points for it's weapon-specific kills when I could be lighting people on fire or tying them up and exploding them.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Brad of Giant Bomb isn't bad per se, he just does this thing where he makes near baseless presumptions.

Like while playing the Bulletstorm demo, he did the Leash Thump move once, and the guy he did it against died because he hit a ceiling. This apparently told him that the leash move is a one hit kill, and didn't do it again until someone told him otherwise.

TBH, I couldn't really tell what the hell was going on with the leash thump either. I actually found it by accident by holding the button too long, and when I did it I was in a closed room, so I thought it just murdered people.

For some reason it's really hard for me to tell what's going on in this game.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They go over it in the hilarious tutorial the demo opens with.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm just amazed at how consistently horrible some reviewers are at games when I see them actually playing the games they review.
    I'm a little late on this, but watching Ryan play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for TNT was one of the most painful things I have ever witnessed.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The demo was a little disorienting to me until I played through it a couple of times. The only other FPS I've really played in years is Borderlands, and the environments for that are much more sparse. There was definitely a feeling of losing track of where I was, and fumbling with controls.

But once I got the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tried the PS3 demo last night, and while the environment was fantastic, the gameplay IMO was fun but extremely repetitive.

adytum on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I tried the PS3 demo last night, and while the environment was fantastic, the gameplay IMO was fun but extremely repetitive.
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed by it too, but then again I hear the Unreal Engine doesn't always play nice with the PS3 hardware.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of the Gears of War aesthetic and tone, it's hard to put my finger on it.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Well its a short demo without the full item loadouts you'll have in the full game. I don't even think we have full skillshots, but primarily I think the gameplay is "see dudes, murder dudes in creative ways, one liner, eat a cheeseburger soaked in beer while playing with a rageon".

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed by it too, but then again I hear the Unreal Engine doesn't always play nice with the PS3 hardware.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of the Gears of War aesthetic and tone, it's hard to put my finger on it.

Well.. I thought the graphics and level design were inspired.

Gameplay wise, it seemed like a poor Borderlands imitation. But that impression could well be because it showed an extremely limited amount of the gameplay options.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But borderlands didn't you let pull guys towards you and kick them in slow-mo and shoot them in the balls!

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's equally likely that I'm just not creative enough in shooting mans in the balls and butt.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well borderlands for the most part and I'm a major fan, didn't have the kind of customization in murdering you get in this. There wasn't a gun that fired bolo grenades onto an enemy allowing you to then kick them into their friends before peforming a ground pound that sent them all flying to die in an explosion of death.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but everytime someone says repetitive in regards to a videogame, my gut reaction is "duh"

I mean, name one game that isn't repetitive. Every single one is. I think it comes down to is it fun repetitive or boring repetitive.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Maybe your just not sadistic enough.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The gameplay got repetitive in the gameplay trailers alone, this isn't surprising.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like it, but doesn't look as good, and doesn't play as good as Gears. No real surprise there. But the guns are pretty cool, I imagine some in the full game will be fantastic. Want to pick it up at some point, just prolly not full price.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    every time I discover a new 500 point skillshot I become excited

shocker was my discovery today

T4CT on