As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeons] and the Keepers who love them.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    something i just remembered, i fucking LOVED that level select/graphic thing they had in DK1, that slowly burned and got corrupted as you progressed and took over the towns/whatever, that was my desktop wallpaper for an age. Anybody got it? I'm pretty sure its just sitting there on the DK1 CD.

"Happydale.

Every day, the little children of Happydale bring home-made treats to their teachers in their little, beautific schools, and then skip home to nourishing meals served by smiling parents. They are content in this little idyllic burg, and go about their happy, carefree lives with nary a thought of mischief.

Disgusting.

[Paraphrased, of course, since I can't find the actual text, but damn - I loved that map, too.]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    something i just remembered, i fucking LOVED that level select/graphic thing they had in DK2, that slowly burned and got corrupted as you progressed and took over the towns/whatever, that was my desktop wallpaper for an age. Anybody got it? I'm pretty sure its just sitting there on the DK2 CD.

here it is, but tiny and shit, anybody do any better?

dungeon_keeper_2.jpg
    dungeonkeeper1024.jpg

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    need corrupted version!

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't have, sadly.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But that's...

Dungeon Keeper 1.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    But that's...

Dungeon Keeper 1.

Yeah, pretty sure that's 1 since I recognize it and I never played 2

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's 100% Dungeon Keeper 1.

And it was awesome.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Really, I'm just bummed that the Bullfrog name and legacy met such an unfitting and unworthy end. It's tragic. But this was during EA's king of the world superdouche era in hindsight, and Bullfrog certainly wasn't the only casualty (RIP Origin Systems).

Ah well.

Alas, poor Origin. I knew her, Zxerol.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Possessing flies was trippy.

I was disappointed with how possession worked until I got to the third or fourth level and possessed a Demon Spawn. I then realised that the poor quality of the flies and beetles was because they have compound eyes, rather than the limitations of my computer.

Blew my child mind, that did.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Eversmile...."

hamdingers on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Cozyton..."

Glal on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Waterdream Warm..."

valiance on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    But that's...

Dungeon Keeper 1.

Yeah, pretty sure that's 1 since I recognize it and I never played 2

This is number 2.
    dungeonkeeper2013_640w.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, 1 was better in terms of map...

Icemopper on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

No contest really.

DK2 was an unfortunate victim of early 3d models.

captaink on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    captaink wrote: »

No contest really.

DK2 was an unfortunate victim of early 3d models.

It looked better than the sprites in DK1, though. If you recall, they were badly, badly pixelated. They looked terrible. I think the only thing that looked good was the layout of the dungeons.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The sprites would have been fine were it not for the size increase that came with levelling.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some Something Awful forums goon 'acquired' Dungeons early and posted a review. Normally I don't like it when this happens, but in this case, I am glad.

The game sounds awful. You can't dig tunnels except to connect already existing rooms. You don't build rooms like in DK1/2, but conquer existing ones. No hatcheries or lairs or prisons or anything interesting, just rooms of various type that unlock creatures and traps. You lure heroes in and kill/capture them as they try to escape to maximize your gain.

Ultimately, sounds like they emulated the look, humor, and style of DK and dumped the gameplay for something simpler and a bit like DOTA.

Too bad. I'll go buy Amnesia.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dammit, it was a wonderful dream, why did you have to wake me up...? T_T

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dungeons Thread - In Memoriam

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I heard about the same from another early-reviewer. Not worth a purchase.

:(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, that's a real bummer. This definitely sounds like it's not for me.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Er...

I'm kind of intrigued by the words "a bit like DOTA" in conjunction with a dungeon building game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rejoice guys, it's not like DK1/Dk2!

That's what you wanted right, all you haters out there. Well thanks, it sucks.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Er...

I'm kind of intrigued by the words "a bit like DOTA" in conjunction with a dungeon building game.

Well apparently there isn't much dungeon building at all... more dungeon... walking? You only discover rooms, you can't actually create them.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man my favorite thing in DK was elaborate dungeon planning.

captaink on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That and planning and building elaborate death traps centered around narrow hallways and generous use of boulder traps.

see317 on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    see317 wrote: »

That and planning and building elaborate death traps centered around narrow hallways and generous use of boulder traps.

Traps were useful...and profitable. Both because of the gold that dropped from what they killed and the gold that could be made from selling off the traps themselves.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, an updated DK with more advanced trap placement like in Evil Genius would be the most amazing damn thing.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    With the voice though! It has to have the voice!!!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best thing about Dungeon Keeper was the planning of your dungeon.

Even if it did trigger somewhat of an OCD response in me when I spent hours carefully digging out tons of 6x6 rooms and accidentally dug a hole into one of the rooms.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    With the voice though! It has to have the voice!!!

Your dungeon is built on a slant. Angry minions cannot play marbles...

Dram on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The best thing about Dungeon Keeper was the planning of your dungeon.

Even if it did trigger somewhat of an OCD response in me when I spent hours carefully digging out tons of 6x6 rooms and accidentally dug a hole into one of the rooms.

That free play dungeon in DK2 - every room a 5x5, and every square dug out except those needed for walls. Traps in every corridor and imps everywhere, the maximum number I could have without mana drain. All creatures Level 10, one of everything including the good guys.

No invasion could even get past my front gate, thanks to the fifteen or so Fear traps and Lightning traps finishing off anything immune to them.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would feel bad for the guys spending so much time and effort on a game that will be dismissed by many (including me), but I am rather baffled by some of their design decisions. Why make so many references and callbacks to DK/DK2 while not trying to emulate the gameplay? It would have been much easier to make an enhanced version of Dungeon Keeper 2 which is exactly what the fanbase they are directly appealing to wants, and instead we get this... thing.

I just can't help but feel that many people's experience with the game will be tarnished by disappointment that it is not at all what was advertised.

Vic on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I discovered this thread about 5 minutes ago and skimmed it to the last page. Probably the fastest excitement to disappointment thrill ride I've ever taken.

And now I need my fix. Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 don't run on my computer at all, but I do notice that GOG has Evil Genius for $10. How was that game in comparison? Worth a buy?

Hevach on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh now I remember how pissed off I was when I found my DK2 disc all scratched to hell and gone. Dammit.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Falx wrote: »
    Ugh now I remember how pissed off I was when I found my DK2 disc all scratched to hell and gone. Dammit.

I wallowed in self-pity for a few days after my DK1 disk shattered in the disk drive. I was so horribly disappointed.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Falx wrote: »

I wallowed in self-pity for a few days after my DK1 disk shattered in the disk drive. I was so horribly disappointed.

Most appropriate sig.

I remember buying DK 1 at launch and fucking loving it, but after a week it just stopped working on my computer for some reason. Evidently, I wasn't tech savvy enough to fix the problem, so I had to take it back to the store. I don't think I've ever been more depressed about a game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have bought DK2 three times in my life.

I think the fourth is approaching (my third disc was lost when I moved out of home)

DK2 is, for me, what Deus Ex is to a lot of people. Anytime I think about it, even briefly, I ahve to reinstall it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hevach wrote: »
    I discovered this thread about 5 minutes ago and skimmed it to the last page. Probably the fastest excitement to disappointment thrill ride I've ever taken.

And now I need my fix. Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 don't run on my computer at all, but I do notice that GOG has Evil Genius for $10. How was that game in comparison? Worth a buy?

Evil Genius was kind of like DK with all the OCD and none of the fun.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.