As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dickwolves Tee missing from store?

XenocideXenocide Registered User new member
Hey guys, I just got paid and I was going to buy a Dickwolves T-shirt, but I can't find it in the store anymore, I had it saved to favorites, but there's nothing there now, and when I went to look for it on the store page it isn't there either.

Did I mess something up or something? Are you out of stock? I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't search to find any older posts that would have had info on it... :(

Thanks for your response in advance.

Xenocide on

• DekadenDekaden Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I am having the same problem, I was so excited to buy this shirt today too ... please get more in stock or whatever!!

Dekaden on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Let me ask our merch guru, Brian.

Älphämönkëy on
  • EntendreEntendre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone kicked up enough of a fuss about rape jokes to have it removed.
    Some people.

Entendre on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Asked Mike when he was drawing live, his response apparently (I missed it) was, "Good question."

Goose! on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    Asked Mike when he was drawing live, his response apparently (I missed it) was, "Good question."

He also drew a smiley face.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a dickwolf deficit

A dearth of dickwolves

MKR on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nothing against the shirt or those who would buy it, but where the hell would you wear a shirt that said "Dick Wolves" on it?

Carnarvon on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PAX?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Nothing against the shirt or those who would buy it, but where the hell would you wear a shirt that said "Dick Wolves" on it?

That's not something that's massively relevant to the purpose of this thread

Tube on
  • Mysterious GamerMysterious Gamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hope they bring it back i wanted one.

Mysterious Gamer on
    I am new to the Forum's, but long time follower of Penny Arcade so don't be a stranger :mrgreen:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KickhopperKickhopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The shirt was removed because someone was offended. Despite them making this comic aimed towards those offended.

I emailed Gabe and Tycho about it and this was their responce:

sne5E.png

Sad that a small group of people can make the guys that do jokes about pedophilia, rape, and fruit fucking bend to their will.

EDIT:
    She is now selling her own dickwolf shirt apparently: http://kirbybits.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/here-is-a-shirt-dickwolves-survivors-guild/

I wonder how legal that is...

Kickhopper on
    edited January 2011
    I don't think dickwolf is registered as a trademark.

Tube on
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think dickwolf is registered as a trademark.
    And parody is generally considered protected speech; see Suntrust v. Houghton Mifflin, for example. Even obviously derivative works can fall under the fair use doctrine.

My understanding is that they received tens of thousands of complaints, and that several notable industry figures planned to withdraw from PAX if the shirts stayed up. I'm sure we'd all love to know the specifics, but I doubt we ever will. All I've got is rumor.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited January 2011
    It was a small group of very vocal people. Not tens of thousands by any stretch. More like a couple dozen. BUT they were very upset and taking the shirt down made them happy. I would never remove the strip or apologize for the joke but if not selling the shirt means I don't have to fight with these people I'll do that.

I'm not super happy about it but it was the path of least resistance.

Gabriel on
    edited January 2011
    Not for nothing, Mike, but Jeff Roberts at RAD says differently: http://twitter.com/jeffatrad/status/30704306885763072

Themiscyra on
  • RagepyroRagepyro Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Registering to say one thing. Gabe, you should put the shirt back up.

It is a reasonably funny shirt, from a reasonably funny comic. Anyone with a modicum of sense will support you on the fact that the shirt is not making a joke out of rape, it is using rape as a way of portraying the suffering of NPCs in an MMO if they were real people, as well as the joke of 'MMO players do the bare minimum of work, rather than saving everyone'.

Don't bow to the demand of the few.

Ragepyro on
  • VarmdeftVarmdeft Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Gabriel wrote: »
    It was a small group of very vocal people. Not tens of thousands by any stretch. More like a couple dozen. BUT they were very upset and taking the shirt down made them happy. I would never remove the strip or apologize for the joke but if not selling the shirt means I don't have to fight with these people I'll do that.

Gabe, I registered to this forum just to make this post. I don't know if that will lend me more credence or detract from my post, but I feel I should say that outright.

I have been a fan of Penny Arcade for years. You guys are one of the few webcomics I read on a regular basis, I find you consistently funny and clever. I also look upon your charitable work as something worth valuing even above volume of comedy you have produced for no charge.

On the matter of the dickwolves shirt though, I saw the comic and I thought it was funny. I was as surprised as you were at the apparent negative reaction of some people to it. As a comic that regularly jokes about murder, physical assault and sex with fruit, it just seemed like a odd sticking point. My only conclusion was that someone decided to stir up some unneeded drama about a funny 3 panel strip of a wolf person and a slave talking about dick wolves.

Like you I think I put this incident behind me month ago, but now with the removal of the dickwolves shirt, I don't find that as easy to do. I hate when people go out of their way to try and ruin other people's fun. That is very clearly what is happening here. I feel it is a violation not only of the principles of comedy, but also of people just trying to have a good time.

I would like to purchase a dickwolves shirt, not only because I find it funny, but because I feel it is a principled thing to do. I hope you decide to put that shirt back up for sale, if only because it would send a message that you can't bully comedy.

Varmdeft on
    edited January 2011

It was far from the path of least resistance since it only shows that you guys are willing to bend to pressure. This opens up groups or people to start harassing you whenever they don't like something on the site or store. You're showing these people that all they have to do is email you every day until they get their way. I happen to know two small groups of people on the internet that are very annoyed that the shirt was removed and they have started to email you, as I'm sure you are aware. They saw that all it took was constant pressure and so they intend to apply the same strategy to get the shirt back. In the future I hope you just ignore small groups like this since it's clear listening to them will hardly stop the problem, it will just create new ones.

Kickhopper on
  • Desolate_CheezDesolate_Cheez Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

Wouldn't the least resistance have been to ignore them as they hold nothing over you? I was so disappointed with this reaction, especially after your public address comic responding to the dickwolves backlash. I was actually really keen to buy a Dickwolves shirt before this whole debaucle, but now I want to purchase one more than ever because it sends a message. A message that censorship isn't acceptable on any level. I can't see why you would fold on something like this, you guys always touch on sensitive topics, while still remaining jovially uncallous. Bring back the Dickwolves T-Shirts.

Desolate_Cheez on
  • SoberIrishmanSoberIrishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like others in this thread, I registered purely to post here.

Deleting the shirt shows that you're willing to cave to pressure. How long will it be before you start removing strips for "being too offensive"? I thought your whole schtick was that while erudite and intelligent, the jokes were also somewhat offensive? The overwhelmingly negative reaction to Ms. Stanton's blog post about the shirt seems to confirm that more people wanted it to stay than wanted it removed.

SoberIrishman on
  • stinkaystinkay Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    registered a while ago, but I believe this is my first post.

grow some balls and put the shirt back up.

stinkay on
    stinkay.png
  • LandHawkLandHawk Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

If we wanted to, say, make our own Dickwolves shirts to wear at PAX, would that be allowed?

LandHawk on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like how the imagery in the Dickwolves survivors guild tee can be interpreted that a phoenix of the dead dickwolf is rising out of it. I would buy one if it meant I didn't have to support that horrible feminist.

JJ on
  • Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a little upset that I need to make this clear, but regardless: I do not support rape. It's a horrible, terrible thing and anyone that thinks any form of rape is good for anyone needs to have their shit slapped.

Regardless, censorship sucks, especially when it's something as silly as the concept of a dickwolf. Also, I really wanted to get a dickwolves shirt. So, yeah.

Yue Fairchild on
  • CleverkidsCleverkids Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    JJ wrote: »
    I like how the imagery in the Dickwolves survivors guild tee can be interpreted that a phoenix of the dead dickwolf is rising out of it. I would buy one if it meant I didn't have to support that horrible feminist.

lol when I saw that I thought it was a RESPONSE to that idiot.

I still don't get why she believes culture supports rape...

Cleverkids on
  • BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I totally just registered to comment in this thread, like quite a few others, but I just felt my personal point should be seen.

I could care less about the shirt. Its the pennant I care about. I wanted the pennant so bad. All she ever mentions is the shirt. Bring the pennant back. The only time anyone will ever see it is if they come into the person's house, and for some reason, I doubt the people that would buy it would welcome the people who are so obviously, yet stupidly, offended by the shirt. It is a weird shirt to wear around, for sure. The pennant would be far, far less offensive, because it is in your house. I thought the comic was great, and I've just been waiting until I had some extra cash to buy the pennant, and lo I find out that it has been pulled. Kinda sucks.

I just wanted to offer my 2 bits, but no one has brought up the net cast over the pennants as well.

Bigbluefoot on
  • ividyadogividyadog Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Registered just to comment in this thread as well.
    Dear Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins (note i'm not saying Gabe or Tycho),

WHY.
    POR QUÉ
    PER QUÈ

Yours faithfully, IvidyaDog
    (some guy who's read your strips for years)

That's it.

PS: That's it, really. I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been repeated twice or thrice (i know this is not an actual word, but it's handy), but I was not going to be quiet about it.

PS2: And why do i ask you WHY in 3 languages ? Because your explanation can't possibly be right. Or, if the worst of the multiple everchanging destinies just happened, you've dissapointed.

PS3: Not only me, not only some other readers who may agree with me, not only 88,1337% of the whole internet.

You've dissappointed yourselves, and you know it.

Ps4: by that i mean some ATW bitched (can i say b*tch in this forum?), and you just gave her credit.
    You took her seriously (and her groupies), and you just decided to run with your tail between your legs, and go all "ok ok, don't sue us" (scene dramatized, ok, i admit it).

Or, talking seriously, I think you dissapointed the spirit of your strips.
    Of penny-arcade itself.

Not that your strip encourages raping, or does absurd jokes on that topic. There are other webcomics that do that, and guess what? They keep doing it. I'd name some, but it's not the time or place.

Where's all that smart criticism to society and the world of videogames?
    Where are those news entries that I loved to read, where you noticed a delightful mix of connesseiur-ism and ... how to explain it? humility?
    Where's that edge on your strips, that made me smile every single time?

They are gone. They packed his things, and took the midnight train going nowhere.
    (if you started singing Journey, kudos to you)

Because, to sum it up, you gave up too easily.
    And now every single internet ATW that founds something offensive will spam you for days with some of their gang till you bend over and say thanks.

I know this probably won't beat any sense into you. You must be pretty immune to some anonymous guy complaining. I understand you. I have a blog, with some usual trolls, and I've been in the series of tubes for long enough to not hardly take some john doe complain seriously.
    And that saddens me even more. If i was a girl, and ATW'd, I'd still get more of you.

PS9: The only thing that'd solve this would be to :
    - restock dickwolfs
    - made a strip of a dickwolf eating a phoenix
    - release a t-shirt of a dickwolf eating a phoenix.
    - And write some cool "wall of text" news entry to apologise, i guess.

PS10: Heu caigut molt baix, al meu parer. Mai sabreu que us tenia en un pedestal, i que ara la magia , l'encantament, se n'ha anat. Sé que hauria d'escriure això en anglès i així ho entendríeu, però tinc poques esperances d'aconseguir-ho, i de que servís per alguna cosa.

PS11: don't mind PS10. Really, don't. Just wrote my 2 cents on my mother tongue. That's what I really think, and if you havent' noticed my Engrish, not native speaker.

PS12: In the event of this being a marketing stunt (trying to cover all bases), replace "dissapoint" with "bigger-than-the-universe dissapoint".

ividyadog on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know what ATW means. :(

MKR on
  • DekadenDekaden Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Wait a minute ... they took it down because of some feminist?

I thought you guys never bowed down to anybody!

Are you kidding??

BRING BACK THE SHIRT!

Dekaden on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dekaden wrote: »
    I thought you guys never bowed down to anybody!

Go look for the Strawberry Shortcake comic in the archives.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • suttreesuttree Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear Penny Arcade,

I was very moved by the above suggestion
    PS9: The only thing that'd solve this would be to :
    - release a t-shirt of a dickwolf eating a phoenix.
    and so felt compelled to register and post in these forums.

Indeed, I am working to design such a t-shirt along with several others:
    (1) A counter-T-shirt depicting a Phoenix bursting alien-style from the belly of a Dickwolf
    (2) A counter-counter-T-shirt with a Dickwolf defeating a Phoenix at ping-pong.
    and
    (3) A t-shirt of reconciliation marked with the image of the proverbial Dicklion having an ice-cool beverage with a Phoenix-Lamb hybrid.

I would post these designs here, but I am most concerned about a t-shirt related arms race we can ill-afford during these uncertain economic times.

I look forward to your correspondence - A Fan.

suttree on
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I registered several years ago just to gripe about this 'dickwolves' issue right now. I never found the strip to be funny, or even gathered any inclination about rape. It's just LOL Penny Arcade usual-ness. Nothing shocking, nothing controversial. The banner and t-shirt need to be in the store because the fans like it. Not because a few curmudgeons would rather smell a cum-fart than see a hint of rape in a cartoon. I am seriously surprised that Mike and Jerry bowed to so little pressure. This controversy isn't gonna make headlines, and what's the big deal if they lose a few dozen fans? It's pretty cut and clear that they never and will ever condone rape.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • rikarurikaru Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

Thank you Mike for your actions in removing the merchandise. I wish you weren't so vague in your reasons, but I understand, being in charge of a public presence like this is hard - you probably can't name names, and it seems that those who came forward in dissent won't make their presence known either.

I created this account a while ago (just before last PAX East) and while I'm not a regular commenter, I always felt like PA was a part of my global gamer community. I am lucky to have daily access to a number of awesome, talented game enthusiasts, game developers, and game researchers - many of whom read PA daily. I like your jokes, I like your sense of humor. Fruit fucker and DivX - funny. Dickwolves? Well, up until recently I watched a ton of Law & Order SUV and other Dick Wolf productions. Campy stuff, to be sure, so yeah, I laughed at the Dickwolves bit.

But then I started to reflect on what I'm seeing on my TV, my twitter feed, and the websites I frequent regularly: fear that is used for entertainment value, a heated political climate where you're either with us or against us, the protests in Egypt & Tunisia and their and my governments' actions, ... I'm feeling ill just thinking about all of the hate, vitriol, and venom I'm exposed to on a daily basis. I don't have anything particularly traumatic in my past, no more than most people I imagine, but yeah - I think I can empathize with someone who has trigger moments. I can also empathize with you, Mike, who is just trying to make people happy drawing funny shit for people to laugh at.

I'm going to be at PAX East, representing the organization I work for. I'll be on the expo floor for a couple hours a day, on my feet and explaining to your fans what my organization does. I'm not looking forward to PAX East. Especially now that some of your fanbase seems ready to declare this their 'Don't Tread On Me' slogan. That statement had a meaning I could stand behind. 'Dickwolves'? It's just a throwaway line that's been packed full of meaning by everyone's actions - a hateful, prideful, and hurtful banner some of your fans to rally behind, and for some to be embarrassed by.

I hope your community conducts themselves better in real life than they have been online. Yep, 'your community'. I'm not one of you anymore. It's no loss to you, Mike, or anyone else on this forum - I wasn't a very good contributor. I think I bought one of your t-shirts once, and a Cardboard Tube Samurai print as a gift for a friend. But I use an adblocker when I read your comic. So who cares, right? I'm what you call a 'bad user'. I don't subscribe to your views, I don't tell my friends to buy your stuff. I'm going to be the only one that feels the loss.

Sorry this was so long - I'm exhausted running a Global Game Jam site. There's a few people I work with, some local independent developers and some um, non-independent developers. There's a ton of students. And then there's a few random people I've never met before who've got nothing on their resume but a few skills and a love for games. I don't agree with these people all the time, I've got my ideas about games and what they should be, and they've got their's, but we're respectful of each other. I say some crude stuff, and when someone is offended, I apologize. When they offend me, I either get over it if it's major, or I tell them to lay off. And they apologize. It's all rather adult and boring. But we make some really cool shit, have fun, and I don't feel sick when I talk to them. That's my community.

Thanks for the laughs these years, and good luck with PAX East. I hope it's as awesome as last year.

rikaru on
    edited January 2011
    colawars wrote: »
    I registered several years ago just to gripe about this 'dickwolves' issue right now. I never found the strip to be funny, or even gathered any inclination about rape. It's just LOL Penny Arcade usual-ness. Nothing shocking, nothing controversial. The banner and t-shirt need to be in the store because the fans like it. Not because a few curmudgeons would rather smell a cum-fart than see a hint of rape in a cartoon. I am seriously surprised that Mike and Jerry bowed to so little pressure. This controversy isn't gonna make headlines, and what's the big deal if they lose a few dozen fans? It's pretty cut and clear that they never and will ever condone rape.

It's also pretty clear that those against the shirt aren't fans. If they were fans they would know there are dozens of way more offensive things in their comics to throw a fit about.

Kickhopper on
    edited January 2011
    Kickhopper wrote: »
    It's also pretty clear that those against the shirt aren't fans. If they were fans they would know there are dozens of way more offensive things in their comics to throw a fit about.
    I'm a fan and, well, it's probably no secret that I thought the merch was in poor taste. Loved the original strip, would have preferred it if the guys had just ignored the initial criticism rather than going on the offensive as they did. I wasn't going to boycott over it, and limited my criticism to a polite private e-mail, but I'm not going to shed any tears over the shirt going away, either. Sorry to those who feel deprived because they didn't get around to buying a shirt in the months-long window in which it was available.

Themiscyra on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to point out that I'm a massive Penny Arcade fan and I loved the original strip, but I think the shirt was a knee-jerk reaction and a mis-step. This isn't really the place to discuss it in depth, but I wanted to make sure that it was apparent that there are loyal fans who are not vocal about their dislike of the shirt but also not like the above vehement supporters of the idea.

I'm one of the people who's very uncomfortable about the idea of this shirt, but I'm also one of the ones you guys are talking about when you say 'don't buy it, then'. I didn't. That's about the extent of my discomfort.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In case you're not aware Gabe these assholes are having a gloating party all over their twitter accounts and there's even a male feminist asshole who's attributing all pax-goers to the KKK and using it as an opportunity to flirt with female feminist bloggers (certainly not the kind who fight for actual equality). I think you're really doing yourself a disservice by kowtowing to these kinds of people.

These people are basically doing this whole stunt to draw attention to themselves to fill whatever holes they have in their life, and using you to do so. Nothing they say will ever make your comic one with a pro-rape agenda, nor your t-shirt, so why bother caving in to their demands? Just filter their emails and let them rot.

Coldbrand on
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to take a moment, since we have a lot of new users in this thread, that this is an on topic forum and it is expected that users will act in a civil and adult way. We don't need to be throwing any insults around, for example calling people whose opinions we disagree with "assholes" "bitches" or whatever.

Tube on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    I want to point out that I'm a massive Penny Arcade fan and I loved the original strip, but I think the shirt was a knee-jerk reaction and a mis-step. This isn't really the place to discuss it in depth, but I wanted to make sure that it was apparent that there are loyal fans who are not vocal about their dislike of the shirt but also not like the above vehement supporters of the idea.

I'm one of the people who's very uncomfortable about the idea of this shirt, but I'm also one of the ones you guys are talking about when you say 'don't buy it, then'. I didn't. That's about the extent of my discomfort.

This is very well put.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to take a moment, since we have a lot of new users in this thread, that this is an on topic forum and it is expected that users will act in a civil and adult way. We don't need to be throwing any insults around, for example calling people whose opinions we disagree with "assholes" "bitches" or whatever.

Shall I refer to the guy comparing me to the KKK as a silly goose then? ;-)

Coldbrand on
This discussion has been closed.