As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 PAX Forum Challenge Coin - ORDERS CLOSED. That's it!

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Love it. Beautiful. Can't wait to buy 'em!

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just chipped in. Can't wait to see the finished product!

EDIT: As to the comments about lack of video game references, at least there are the Pac-Mans (Pac-Men?), instantly recognizable symbols of video gaming culture.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The ones with the stencils look much more recognizable, and much better. I'd love to have this one as a set with my Prime one. :)

Heleor on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Definitely worth chipping in for....and i have!

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chipped in what I could. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Ixmasat on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Don't be too concerned about the small details. These image aren't fed directly into some kind of coin-making machine. They serve strictly as reference for the artists.

Arco: I only realized after responding to your response to my first reverse mockup post that your problem with the hand and steeple were that they were right up against the edge. This did bother me later, so I brought them in a touch.

:D:D:D:D:D Great minds. That makes me feel better. Fantastic job as always, dude.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks great! I just chipped in as well. Almost half way there! I'm also willing to throw more in if necessary. Though at this rate, I have no doubt that you guys will reach the $200 goal.

Thanks papaprinny for the great design and karmacappa for organizing the ChipIn for the die (and anyone else involved too)! Can't wait to order mine :)

MTSonic11 on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This coin is awesome! I can't wait to get one for me and another for my husband! Just chipped in what I could.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just chipped in myself. We're more than halfway to the mastering costs. Let's get it done!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One question, should we order the coins with upgraded protection?

At Prime, the company shipped them in small zip-loc bags. That was lame.

This time we have a couple of choices:
    Small PVC pouches. They're clear, but not really airtight or form fitting. The PVC pouches have a tongue that fits under a band on the back face to close the pouch, but that tongue tends to make it harder to see the back face of the coin. These are the default option.

Hard plastic capsules. The are clear, airtight, round, and fit to the coin fairly snugly. They cost about 8 cents a coin more, but will protect the coin better and provide protection against corrosion. They provide a fine view of both sides of the coin with minimum intrusiveness.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    8 cents each? I think we can splurge for the capsules.

PS - love the design. Looks great.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd gladly pay an extra 8 cents for the capsules.

Rdr on
    edited January 2011
    I don't mind paying an extra eight cents for the capsules.

ETA: Never mind, it cleared already. ChipIn donation sent. :)

Themiscyra on
    edited January 2011
    I've recieved coins with both pouches and in cases from people overseas, and the cases are much better, especially when you're going to be carrying them around on your person. the pouches get dirty very quickly sitting in a pocket.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    edited January 2011
    We're at 110 of 200. It probably will be up to 200 soon. If it closes before you can donate, you might consider just buying more coins. There is a benefit to large orders, and that's the fact that the factory will put more people on it, generally making it faster.

karmacappa on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Count my vote for the hard plastic as well. It seems like a very small amount of money for a lot more protection.

MTSonic11 on
    edited January 2011
    Hard plastic sounds like a win for me, I think 8 cents is pretty nominal when you consider what you'll be getting in return.

Ixmasat on
  • mountainblademountainblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the idea of hard plastic as well.

mountainblade on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am down for a coin like that. Awesome job.

Goose! on
  • SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chipped in for $10! Can't wait for the order... I will be buying two for sure and others in my party will be buying some too I think.,

SpiderSimian on
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I chipped in what was left in my Paypal account. Looking good guys.

ravemonger on
  • gmrchick73gmrchick73 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Awesome! Chipped in as well - less then $20 to go!

gmrchick73 on
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chipped in! Down to the last 10$!

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
    edited January 2011
    Tis done, the Chipin is complete!

karmacappa on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did we need to chip in to get one of these or will the be up for purchase after? Kinda missed the boat I think, not that I could get it right now anyway...

UEAKCrash on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Did we need to chip in to get one of these or will the be up for purchase after? Kinda missed the boat I think, not that I could get it right now anyway...

The ChipIn was just to get the die for the coins made by the company.

Buying of coins will be happening soonish.

Rdr on
    edited January 2011
    Once we get the artwork finalized, you will be able to contact USCC and set up an order for your coins. I would suggest you keep an eye on this thread, as there will be a limited window for you to order your coins. Once we get more information we will post it here.

karmacappa on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, I missed it! The Chip in came and went without my knowledge, eek!

The coin looks fantastic, well done!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also voting for the 8 cent hard plastic.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow! I was gone at Shmoocon this weekend and totally missed the obverse and the ChipIn! Oh well... Just imagine that I donated $10.

I like the obverse. Like, a lot. It still bugs me a little comparing it to the plain-edge (the border is implied), non-centered reverse, but I'll just be sure to look more at the 'heads' side.

I also vote for the 8 cent capsule, and will be buying at least 2 coins for myself - and probably more (depending on final price/coin) to make up for missing the ChipIn. Are we going to attempt to get coins purchased for Mike/Jerry/Khoo/etc? You can count me in for a few of those I guess.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    Are we going to attempt to get coins purchased for Mike/Jerry/Khoo/etc? You can count me in for a few of those I guess.

Why, YES. We did this for Prime 2010, and we would like to do it again this time. I am personally intent on providing one to Robert, as he is a super cool guy.

Okay, folks, I just finished talking to Eric at USCC. He has the mockups and all the verbal details. We also decided that the best thing to do to take care of the ear issue is to move the PAX East 2011 text to the left side, as such:
    paxeast2011challengecoi.png
    This gives Paul Revere's horse much more breathing room, allowing it additional prominence.

So here's the deal: Eric says he'll get back to me within the next couple of days or so with some art and a quote-per-coin. If it looks good, we approve and minting begins as soon as China is done with their new year.
    That's the problem, though. Normally this much time is sufficient for USCC to get coins out. But the Chinese new year has thrown a wrench in the gears. Eric says the best way to convince these guys to work fast and put a lot of people on the project is for a lot of orders to start coming in.
    To that end, once we get a quote and we approve the design, you folks are all going to have to call Eric at USCC and start placing orders. If enough of you do that, we stand a better chance of getting our coins sooner. So be ready to order soon, but not quite yet.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Gimme a phone number and a price and my order is ready to go!

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • BigBusinessBigBusiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. I love the idea man. The coin looks great, as it combines the idea of the Pax convention with the city of Boston. Keep it up, and hopefully we'll see it for sale there. I'd buy one.

BigBusiness on
  • SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To that end, once we get a quote and we approve the design, you folks are all going to have to call Eric at USCC and start placing orders. If enough of you do that, we stand a better chance of getting our coins sooner. So be ready to order soon, but not quite yet.

You can't order online? I don't normally like ordering things via the phone.

SpiderSimian on
    edited February 2011

USCC is better than most people with their over the phone orders. The main reason that i can see that we would need to put in phone orders is so they can push their manufacturers to make the coins sooner. Also it means only people with a connection to PAX can order them, not anyone with a whimsy of getting the coin.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    edited February 2011
    Wow. I love the idea man. The coin looks great, as it combines the idea of the Pax convention with the city of Boston. Keep it up, and hopefully we'll see it for sale there. I'd buy one.

These coins aren't intended to be sold. We want to keep away from the entire idea of "for sale" because PAX has their own official merchandising program. If someone wants one and orders are closed, you might give them a coin at cost, but if people are seen actively trying to sell these at PAX, it could hurt future community coin efforts.

They do orders via e-mail as well. Once they're open for orders, we'll give you the pertinent information.

karmacappa on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay folks, I made what I'm hoping will be the last change to the design.

After I moved the "PAX East 2011" text on advice of Eric, I was bothered by the positioning and size of the steeple and the other text on the coin face. So I just sent the following edit off to Eric. The symmetry of the assets are now much better, and the steeple no longer intrudes in the "PAX East 2011" text.

paxeast2011challengecoi.png

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Okay folks, I made what I'm hoping will be the last change to the design.
    Okay, yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but that steeple was bothering me a bit. Great alteration. I think I like this design a lot better.

Themiscyra on
  • fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The last minute change looks great! Love it. Setting aside cash for coins now. :)

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
    edited February 2011
    Wow! It didn't really bother me before, but the latest change makes everything seem more balanced. Well done - very eagerly awaiting ordering info. :)

Ixmasat on