As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Concept Shit start

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Artist's Corner
Redo-in my game portfolio. I will be doing 2 creatures, 2 characters, 2 environments, and 2 environment props. They will all have a full render and front-side sheets. All from the same universe.

Currently the only real concept art work I have done is under NDAs, so I cannot put them in my portfolio.

roughs and one finish
creature1.jpg
creature2.jpg
pirategirl.jpg

going to start on the guy next. Hopefully I can have all of these done by the end of feb.

wakkawa on

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Damn wak. I've always wanted to see some more of your concept work, ever since I saw that chick in the pink mech armor. This is beautiful, I can't wait for your future posts!

Edit: That first creature is great, I can imagine that in any major action game/rpg or movie, like srsly.

ninjai on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The female character is really good. Super wikid!
    And although i like where the creature is going, this rough 'concepty' technique looks forced and un natural for you. Am i right, or am i right? Right? Right! Right! :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    WCK i donno, they look like every other wakk rough i've seen.

It would be cool to see a few variations on the outfits of the characters, just for funsies.

I sorta want to know more about your fake game universe, as I've been putting eyes all over my shit too! Do you have an idea you're going on, or are you just trying to connect them visually?

Iruka on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    female character's torso seems squished to me. I think giving her a slightly longer neck would help out.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah thats pretty much how I start all of my pictures. Just a mass of chunky lines. They will be rendered out fully like the girl.

There really isn't a story to go along with it. Just trying to keep the visuals consistent through-out. A Sky-Pirate RPG look.

The neck does seem a bit short looking at it now, thanks :D

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    is... is that a vagina beak?

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Molybdenum wrote: »

i thought it was a vag-eye-na

Also, wakka, i'm not an expert at anatomy, i recently studied one of vilppu's videos on the hips, and could it be that this girl's hips are a bit too round at some areas? perhaps a small indent where the side abs hit the upper pelvis?

anyhoo, still looks awesome though.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know there are only a couple of roughs and one finished piece, but I'm not getting a sense of the universe yet. Do you have a clear, written idea or story (a goal!) for what these are for? Or are you just kind of speed painting right now and seeing what comes out? I know my art skills are at a 1 and you're at a 92, Wak, so I might be completely crazy, but I'm not really seeing a unity for the pieces yet. Maybe that will come across when the other pieces are finished, so I could be completely wrong.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those are pretty stunning. If you're looking for games jobs, maybe some roughed turned arounds of the character would be worth while. Right now I guess you're just looking for quantity considering you have quality accomplished at such high levels!

Jekht on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    He already said hes going to do front and side.

Sky pirates sounds pretty cool, I encourage you flex your creative muscles and try and give stuff just a little more meat and back story, It'll actually help connect things. It doesn't have to be intense, just a few choices here and there.

I know it really depends on the game, but half naked chicks for no reason, for instance, seem sorta old fantasy game to me. Sometimes having a solid idea of what you are going on helps you find the standards and make a really interesting twist.

Iruka on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The beak looks VERY tortoise style to me, which instantly makes it seem pretty real and possible. Beautiful work... sorry I don't have any real criticism.

streever on
  • Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The pelvis area of the girl looks really weird to me. I don't know if it's because it's too round or too pointy. I can't really put my finger on it but my mind is saying "that doesn't look right". Maybe it's the striped leggings? Other than that she looks great (although I'm not a huge fan of nonsensical skimpyness). The brute creature rough looks awesome and full of potential and the fire-deer reminds me of Volvagia.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, so much excitement! Tell me I can model these and I'll be your best friend~

I think adding some more story/background to all these pieces would be mutually beneficial. I'm liking the color scheme of the first creature up top, but I'm sure you can push the silhouette and shape more. I would also play up the organic vs. inorganic qualities of that as well.

Good start in my eyes, keep going man!

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The girl is good, but you need to like, show process work. Show like, 10 variations of her, small build, medium build, large build. Then build up from that. Turn arounds aren't really as important so much as having stuff to show the character lead and be like, here is what you've told me to do, pick one and I'll build on it. Instead of full renders and front and side sheets, for the guy I'd definitely do more "progress" work, but not progress as in, I started at the sketch and then built up, but, here were my basic concepts, and this is how I refined/modified that concept based on the feedback/what my imaginary director wanted.

I'm excited to see your male!! Your males are hella appealing.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Didn't get to work on this project as much as I would have liked today. I plan on doing a lot more variations on these all.

I also had somewhat of a story but its not fleshed out very well yet. I mean its there, but I need to write it down. I am a terrible writer however, so I have been putting it off.

First thumb of first enviro. I can already see tons of things to change to make it better in the next thumbnail.
    envo1.jpg
    envo2.jpg

By looking at a lot of concept art environments they all seem really really complex. After awhile they all seem to have the same basic principals the biggest which being "happy accident". I just need to break down the lighting into shapes with rough perspective. I have a feeling a lot of concept artist do this with a lot of textures or hard edge square brushes. Since I dont have those, I just go mad with the lasso tool and gradient fill. It doesn't seem to be that hard, just extremely time consuming. Picasso said that cezanne was the father of us all, but I do believe he meant bob ross.

sketch of dude
    dude1.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Definitely have the sky pirate/steam punk vibe going on in your character sketch. Your images have such character even at this early stage of development. I am grateful to be a whitness of your process :)

I'm eager to see where you're going with the environment sketch, but it seems to be a little to focused on the ground. To accentuate airships, you might want to lower the angle, or back out a bit to put some of said air ships in the image?

I've never done an environment, so I'm speaking from inexperience, but just a thought.

ninjai on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Picasso said that cezanne was the father of us all, but I do believe he meant bob ross.

I am going to say this during critique on tuesday, with no other supporting details or explanation, and then sit down and mentally high five myself smugly while being glared at by everyone. Yuss. Thank you in advance.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The girls legs make her really awkward looking, I would shorten them up a bit. Petty critique perhaps? But not all art directors are amazing artists and they may not always know why they don't like something.

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I have a feeling a lot of concept artist do this with a lot of textures or hard edge square brushes. Since I dont have those, I just go mad with the lasso tool and gradient fill. It doesn't seem to be that hard, just extremely time consuming.

Don't you think this is something you could work on?? Something being time consuming is a very big negative when you're working professionally. Speed is very important, and not having the right brushes for it is a bad excuse.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The brushes isn't what I was saying that makes it take a long time. I was just saying I get the same effect with the lasso tool. The effect being random shapes and gradients.

What takes a long time is the amount of rendering in the picture. Environments are technical pieces which is why I am not that big of a fan working on them.

I thing I just worded it wrong there.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    xXSanguinariasXxxXSanguinariasXx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, Wakkawa. I noticed the eyes on your pirate girl seem to be out of alignment with the rest of her face. I'd either lower the right eye, or re-work the left side of the face.

iesU2g.jpg

Angle Example: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/juriah/juriah0806/juriah080600024/3117656-pretty-young-girl-looking-up-into-the-distance-thinking-into-the-future.jpg

xXSanguinariasXx on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah the face has been bothering me ever since I uploaded it. It has been added to my list of things to change cus I just can't get nothin right.

encolors.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh fffffffff this looks like it has huge potential for awesome. Love the colors and textures you've got going on. I'd try to break up the repetition of the large angular rocks on the perimeter, though...they seem a little too evenly sized/spaced.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is me enjoying the shit out of your stuff Wak.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ok THAT is impressive. Can I have some?

ninjai on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wak I want you to email me every name of every HR jerk that doesn't hire you so I can fly over to the US for a week long junket of mouth shitting.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really like a lot of this; you're such a talented artist. I think though for portfolio work you should really think about doing a bunch of variations in similar concepts to give people something to look at - ten finished pieces is cool, but it's hard to really get a feel of your creative methods through that. Five finishes pieces and three alternate variations for each would be better. I'd especially love to see some variations on the environment you're doing - something about it now feels kind of generic and unremarkable despite the fact that it's technically really gorgeous, so I think throwing in a few alternate concept roughs would really benefit the overall look and feel of your portfolio.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I plan on putting an emphasis on showing different variations on the designs. I just want to get some rough renders (like what I have on these so far) before I get things too different. I appreciate all the feedback people have given me so far. Real work has been slowing me down though.

piratarough2.jpg
    nightin.jpg

*nightingale olloollool

unrelated:

theresnotime.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is that nightengale going to be something you're showing as is?

I say that just because, at the moment i think they need some more rendering (not much) to add some clarity to the design. I'm thinking kinda along the lines of Metal Gear concepts where there's a lot of vague shapes but strong lines that support them.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Is that nightengale going to be something you're showing as is?

I say that just because, at the moment i think they need some more rendering (not much) to add some clarity to the design. I'm thinking kinda along the lines of Metal Gear concepts where there's a lot of vague shapes but strong lines that support them.

Im going to clean them up a bit. The wings are constructed by a series of sails that together look like wings. The ships aren't powered by the wings but they are only used for control. The engines are from found technology that the people don't know how to fully control so its sorta supposed to be look rigged together.

The cities are going to be built around crashed spaceships and ancient technology. It's just been so long that they forgot how to use them proper.

I don't like magic but man do I love sci fi.

I have a basic outline of the story written out. The nightingale is going to be a relatively small ship ran by the heroes.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ok... that sounds pretty sweet.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Molybdenum wrote: »

I thought it's a THIRD EYE!

kraz007 on
    Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Those ships all look prettymuch the same, I would have a very difficult time picking out one that I liked more than the other at a quick glance. And, "I just want to get some rough renders (like what I have on these so far) before I get things too different." that sounds like the opposite of the work flow you should be doing for concept art portfolio. And for something like this, something like where you're doing this to get a job, showing your work flow is going to be so very important. You should be doing things too different and totally crazy out there, then doing some rough renders based on those that are most successful.

I feel like a bit of a dick saying shit like this because I really love your stuff, Wakka, but I know you're looking for serious feedback on this portfolio, so I hope you don't mind. Also, the story you have going for the city sounds super awesome!! I can't wait to see some of the different sort of ancient technology stuff doing on and how you interpret that

Kochikens on