As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Radial Menus don't work for complex games, Crysis, yes, that works fine. D&D the arcade game...a little harder, but an Elder scrolls game? Do you hate your customers? Why not make it a Kinect, the screws are already on their nuts, the thumbs won't be any worse?

I kid, I kid. Hell, they probably have the radial menu as a way to get into the larger, broader catagories and act as a way to switch from one to the other. This would prove useful as we will no longer have to click through several menus to get to the one we want.

RoyceSraphim on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope the F keys still operate as menu shortcuts. All hail F1-F4!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Instead of relegating players to looking at an item’s name and stat attributes, each possession is a tangible three dimensional item with its own unique qualities.
    D:

Goddammit. It's not even just that it sounds bad. It's that it sounds bad and exceedingly hard to mod into being not bad.

Could be worse, they could pull a DA2 and have no mods at all (possibly). Of course, I don't know if they've said word 1 about modding Skyrim. Everyone just assumes I'm sure, but someone can make me happy and confirm it.

The mod tools are being bundled with the game. This was confirmed a few days ago.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/elderscrollsvskyrim/news.html?sid=6286630

It was all over the interwebs. :P

Thanks, I must have used my leet skillz to miss it like I did the DNF release date for a week...
    Also, Bioware have said that they're not releasing a new toolset, but they are updating the Origins toolset to support DA2. That game will still be moddable.

I don't want to derail this thread, but are you sure of that? They said they may do that, but since then nothing. Again, if someone can update me with better news I'd be happy.

I do wonder if we'll be able to level up with a battery weighing down the key in Skyrim, though. I need to look more into the leveling system since it sounded like the old one mainly even though they were saying it was new...

Xeddicus on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »

Hold on, bikinis... .... ... ... ... Okay

Cut my dick off and call me a nif hound, I never knew that worked.

RoyceSraphim on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Holy fuck this is useful if true.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I've known that for years and still never used them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What I want is a friggin' hotkey to switch between map zoom levels and inventory sort types.

Xagar on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    God damn it

I can't have my argonian go on an abolition crusade to free all the slaves and be all "LET MY PEOPLE GOOOO" because apparently not every slave in the game has a key to free them from their bracer

That is some lazy-ass bullshit, Bethesda

How hard would that have been? Honestly
    What? What are you talking about?

I'm playing Morrowind and lots of the slaves apparently have no key to free them from their slave bracers, despite the fact that all of them have the "go free" option in dialogue

I mean how hard would it have been to just put a key for the bracer in the world somewhere?

Even easier: let you lockpick them instead of having a dedicated bracer key

joshofalltrades on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aren't they enchanted?

Big Classy on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps Bethesda should give us the ability to cut rope or if you slice a store banner, it will show.

Kadoken on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Aren't they enchanted?

Ehhh, it's still lazy. Let players use an open spell or something. Maybe there's a mod for it?

joshofalltrades on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps Bethesda should give us the ability to cut rope or if you slice a store banner, it will show.

Hey now, let's not get crazy!

Edit: Although...

Hmmm, I don't have the key for this giant treasure chest with the enchanted lock...
    *pulls out enchanted glass war hammer*
    I knew there was a reason I kept this.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, why is the character too polite to just bash/kick doors open, or break the lock?

Kadoken on
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit training skills in Daggerfall is time consuming. Also, why do the guards get alerted to my "vagrancy" when I sleep in the Thieves' Guild? Who is ratting out the location of the Guild when I fall asleep there, just because they don't like me sleeping in the attic?

joshofalltrades on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, why is the character too polite to just bash/kick doors open, or break the lock?

Because you were silly enough not to install the mod?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit training skills in Daggerfall is time consuming. Also, why do the guards get alerted to my "vagrancy" when I sleep in the Thieves' Guild? Who is ratting out the location of the Guild when I fall asleep there, just because they don't like me sleeping in the attic?

They have crime radar to some degree.

When Daggerfall was released, you couldn't sleep in your house, for it was in a town. The guards would bash down your door(s) and hack you to pieces if you tried to resist arrest.

Remember: Daggerfall is buggy as hell, mostly broken, but if you can fight through those, you will have a ton of fun.

MechMantis on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Holy fuck this is useful if true.

Hint: they work in Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In Morrowind, I used to name my character "Jiub" (the prisoner guy who you meet at the start of every playthrough), make my Dark Elf look exactly like him, and then take off my shoes and shirt. I was his twin brother, doing good deeds in Morrowind in the name of Jiub!

Then, there was the time I was bandit serial killer Jiub.

Evil Weevil on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't his good twin brother be named Buij?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jiub was the good twin. He drove all the cliff racers out of Vvardenfell.

Gaslight on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God damn it

I can't have my argonian go on an abolition crusade to free all the slaves and be all "LET MY PEOPLE GOOOO" because apparently not every slave in the game has a key to free them from their bracer

I'm playing Morrowind and lots of the slaves apparently have no key to free them from their slave bracers, despite the fact that all of them have the "go free" option in dialogue

I mean how hard would it have been to just put a key for the bracer in the world somewhere?

I remember having spent like 2 hours on one plantation trying to find a slave key that I guess didn't exist.

Dragkonias on
  • MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else wonder if Mai'q the Liar will be in SKYRIM? He certainly does get around alot.
    How many voice actors will be for this game? 20? 30? 40? 70? Oh wait knowing Bethesda it'd just be a small handful instead of a company like Rockstar, their GTA third person polygonal series, which has dozens of various actors.
    It's what killed the immersion in OBRIVION.
    Oh that slave key? I thought it was on the slavers or in the house. Had to pickpocket it or swipe it.
    Still working on the mod usage for MORROWIND to keep the game the same but have it look nicer.

MonkeyPants on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    their GTA third person polygonal series

?

What is this "GTA" of which you speak?

Gaslight on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    God damn it

I remember having spent like 2 hours on one plantation trying to find a slave key that I guess didn't exist.
    You want one of the several different Twin Lamps mods, all of which expand Morrowind's anti-slavery faction in some way and should allow you to free every slave in the game. Telesphoros' List o'Mods has two versions, and this discussion mentions several more.

As for Oblivion inventory crappiness, get WZ_Inventory.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited January 2011
    Basically for everything wrong with ES games, there is a mod somewhere that picks up the slack

joshofalltrades on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Jiub was the good twin. He drove all the cliff racers out of Vvardenfell.

Depends where he drove them, if he drove them into Skyrim that bastard will rue the day

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    their GTA third person polygonal series

?

What is this "GTA" of which you speak?

Surely you jest. I meant from GTA III era onwards. The ones which are 3D and not overhead like 1, London 1969/1961, 2, Advance and Chinatown Wars.
    Got me a nice boat for OBRIVION. Haven't implemented it into the Data folder yet nor run the game. Been looking for lots of mods for MORROWIND.
    My character is damn fast when he runs. Almost as fast as THE FLASH. Is there a constant effect spell for walking/traversing on water? Would be nice for lightning attacks and great punchy punchy fisticuffs. Yes I'd love to make a Scarlet Speedster glass armour mod which would have the acrobatics/etc. stuff. Green would be converted to Scarlet and the black would be converted to brushed gold. Of course would do a jagged lightning bolt on the chest and the ear things. Not immediate in inventory but an entire quest. Would be for human-types only for MORROWIND. Shit is awesome but you have to look ahead where you're going. Used the console for cheats. Depending on speed, are there any blurring/streaking/denotions of speed mods? Guess the gauntlets would increase heavily lightning and hand-to-hand combat.
    The above would be great for OBLIVION but it would surely tax the graphics card and loading times. Wait I do have the MORROWIND Construction Set. Any helpful suggestions to go about doing this? Actually was running so fast it made the game crash to desktop.

MonkeyPants on
    edited January 2011
    Weird. I am showing as having over 100,000 gold coins in my inventory but I don't have enough to deposit even 1 in the bank. Save, quit, restore. I can put 1 gold coin in, but no more. Save, quit, restore. Same deal.

I think this is one case where I'll excuse myself for hacking my save file.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    Weird. I am showing as having over 100,000 gold coins in my inventory but I don't have enough to deposit even 1 in the bank. Save, quit, restore. I can put 1 gold coin in, but no more. Save, quit, restore. Same deal.

I think this is one case where I'll excuse myself for hacking my save file.

Daggerfall or what?

MonkeyPants on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Buggerfall. Now my game is completely borked because my cash is static at over 100,000 and nobody will take any money. Even selling things doesn't get me any money at this point. This is very frustrating.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Buggerfall. Now my game is completely borked because my cash is static at over 100,000 and nobody will take any money. Even selling things doesn't get me any money at this point. This is very frustrating.

Go to the bank, gold has weight. You might simply be over-encumbered with your loot.

EDIT: Wait saw your earlier post. Try getting something big, like a ship.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    It says I don't have enough gold. :?

It's definitely a bug. I think I tried to sell horses and carts when I broke into a shop and that did me in.

BTW Mantis, what happened to your LP? I was enjoying it.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    Technical difficulties: Photobucket wasn't being cooperative. Waaay too much effort to get everything uploaded.

EDIT: Oh, and don't feel bad about doing a bit of savehacking. Sometimes things just break.

EDIT2: Perhaps I should finish my thoughts the first time, there hasn't been a post in like the last 5 days that I haven't edited.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Technical difficulties: Photobucket wasn't being cooperative. Waaay too much effort to get everything uploaded.

EDIT: Oh, and don't feel bad about doing a bit of savehacking. Sometimes things just break.

EDIT2: Perhaps I should finish my thoughts the first time, there hasn't been a post in like the last 5 days that I haven't edited.

Use imgur.com instead of shitty Photobucket.
    See, reasons like this makes me wish BethSoft make a DVD with ARENA and DAGGERFALL which would be 100% compatible for XP/Vista/7 and even Steam-like/Steam downloads. Instead of DOSBox.

MonkeyPants on
    edited January 2011
    While it ain't a DVD, it's the next best thing.

It appears to have worked for joshofalltrades so

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it works, but it has some weird quirks, like storing everything virtually or something. I seriously can't find the save game files anywhere on my hard drive.

So unless I spend a bunch of time copying and pasting in DOSBox, my save is screwed. I'll just start from a way earlier save.

Training is boring. But it seems to be the fastest way to increase things like lockpick and pickpocket.

joshofalltrades on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why the hell would you want to use pickpocket? It is a shitty skill. However, if you really want to use it, just find a rat and keep on pickpocketing that rat.

Couscous on
    edited January 2011
    Saves are found in \DAGGER, as SAVE0-5, for a total of 6.

For example, my main save can be found in D:\dosgames\DAGGER\SAVE0

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    What in the name of all that is ass

The very first main quest thing I do is to hunt down and kill a werewolf, fine

WHY IN BUDDHA ARE THERE ANCIENT VAMPIRES IN THERE

I AM LEVEL FREAKING FIVE

joshofalltrades on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah, that reminds me of the heady days of Morrowind. All looking around in Dunmer forts at level 3, running into Dremora Lords for the first time and casting destruction spells at them and then promptly discovering the joys of them using Reflect on you.

Havelock on