As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation Ideas!

CogliostroCogliostro Marginal OpinionsSpring, TXRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
So here's the thing: I'm celebrating my first year in Texas by getting the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of it. My tax return is due sometime soon and I want to take a real honest-to-god vacation.

IDEAS SO FAR:

VEGAS: Just a straight Houston -> Vegas weekend or few days. This is so far the cheaper of my ideas. Las Vegas is definitely something I've wanted to do for a long time; I've driven through, but never really stayed. There's lots there to see and do.

Walk(drive)about: Renting a car for two weeks really is cheap. It's like $350. If I get a small to mid-sized car, gas won't be that much more. I could DRIVE to Vegas, Oregon, LA and back home for (what gas buddy says) is about $390 in gas round trip. This would take longer, so I'd either have to bring my dog with me or see if my roommates would be willing to watch him. Two weeks is a long time, so I may do something like 10 days and have it be even cheaper. I can do this by myself which would give me a lot of ME time.

TRAIN: Ameri-Rail passes are dirt-ass cheap for a 14 day trip. I could go anywhere I wanted to for free (or upgrade to a room). I've done the Coast Starlight but I've always wanted to do the Empire Builder. Trains hold a special place in my heart.

CRUISE: This is the least preferred. I'd be going alone as I have no one to go with. On the plus side they're cheap, all the food is included (I don't really drink alcohol that much) and I only have to really pay some gas for my buddy to drive me to Galveston. The downside: I'm single, and nothing says "Pathetic and creepy loser" like taking a non-singles cruise by yourself. It's not that I'm not pathetic or creepy or a loser... I just don't want to be public about it.

SEATTLE: Love Seattle, grew up near there. Cheap flights, cheap hotels, even cheap rental cars. Unfortunately I don't know what I'd do if I just visited Seattle unless some PA folk wanted to get together. I could easily head up north or south and visit some old friends and family. Rental cars are awesome in that they have unlimited mileage and are generally good on gas - and Seattle is an excellent jumping off point.

So, Pennies Arcade... give me some hints or ideas of what I should do for my first vacation. I want to spend at most about $1500 because I have other debt I should pay off with some of my tax return. :D

Cogliostro on

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Maui is nice.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Threesome

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah... I'm not really into threesomes. Sorry - I'm a one man man. :>

Cogliostro on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    go skiing

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    The other idea I guess is screw vacation and buy all brand new paintball gear.

Cogliostro on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    yes yes yes!

a screw vacation!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made the Houston to Vegas trip once.

Once and never again. You have to remember that you're driving across a good third of the US with nothing but prairie. Bring some audio books if you are truly dedicated to wasting your time and muscle tone.

Oh, and rental cars don't tend to have the best track record for maintenance. RE: My trip to Vegas when the engine blew and we wasted 14.5 hours because the rental company didn't have an office near us when their car nearly exploded.

Darth Waiter on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go on a Club Med vacation and have lots of filthy, drunken sex you'll probably contract an annoying disease from

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Center of the Earth.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buy a brand new, top of the line, ass-massaging toilet.

That way every poop is a vacation for your butt!

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    beautiful saskatchewan

Meissnerd on
    edited January 2011
    Rent out one of them holiday fuck towers.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Center of the Earth.

Take a tour of the moons of Jupiter.

I hear they are nice this time of the Jovian Year. You only have like 1500 days left until the rush season.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you go to vegas for god's sake don't drive

DW is right, the drive is awful and for the cost of gas you'd be getting damn near the price of a plane ticket

Also this isn't the time of year I'd come to LA/socal. If you're gonna come here, come when it's summer and the beaches are worth checking out

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011
    Uriel wrote: »
    Center of the Earth.

Take a tour of the moons of Jupiter.

I hear they are nice this time of the Jovian Year. You only have like 1500 days left until the rush season.
    There's no better place to see attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion, either.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited January 2011
    I was just watching Blade Runner the other day, it was good. But I had taken a klonopin and fell asleep.

On a serious note.

I've always wanted to visit the capitol, or perhaps NYC.

Actually just take a tour of historic stuff.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited January 2011
    I love Blade Runner, but you falling asleep might have gone down anyways.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited January 2011
    I love Blade Runner, but you falling asleep might have gone down anyways.

I hadn't slept for about 24 hours and I had taken a klonopin, but yeah I can see your point.

But it was getting really interesting.

It's really good.

I had just gotten past the point with the quote you just made.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited January 2011
    Blade Runner is a lovely movie that takes place in a fantastic future that revolves around people mostly sitting in dim rooms, and Commander Adama before he got older and a bit bloated.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made the Houston to Vegas trip once.

Once and never again. You have to remember that you're driving across a good third of the US with nothing but prairie. Bring some audio books if you are truly dedicated to wasting your time and muscle tone.

Oh, and rental cars don't tend to have the best track record for maintenance. RE: My trip to Vegas when the engine blew and we wasted 14.5 hours because the rental company didn't have an office near us when their car nearly exploded.

Lime lime lime lime lime

Fly to Vegas on Southwest or something. Don't make that horrible drive.

Sorry you're in Houston. I'm sorry for everyone in Houston.

Consider the east coast as well. I'm fond of New England, though I've heard Philadelphia has its own charms.

Seattle sounded like the best thing though.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to let you in on a secret.

There are places outside america also.

Blake T on
    edited January 2011
    No foolin', really?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • gruggrug Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    get your ass to mars

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am going to let you in on a secret.

There are places outside america also.
    Strangely, it can get quite a bit more expensive to visit places outside America, if you are already in America

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011
    Crazy!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My cousin's spending the summer in Cambodia but it costs a thousand dollars to fly into Siem Reap! What the fuck. Phnom Penh here I come, I guess.

I don't have any good vacation suggestions at the moment.

But hey, I'm going to Hong Kong on Wednesday.

(fuck yesssss I'm so pumped)

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go visit Vis in Grenada. It looks pretty there.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking at stuff in Vegas and the reviews on some of these places are absolutely horrifying. Dirty rooms, smelly hotels, hotels that charge ridiculous fees that are both mandatory and for things you may not necessarily want (for instance, I'll be in Vegas.. I may not want internet access).

The only places that consistently get good reviews are places that are way out of my price range. I cannot afford $160 - $290 a night for a room, but I want something on the strip so I can avoid renting a car. I've checked several discount websites (hotels.com, travelocity, etc).

The thing is, I don't necessarily trust online reviews. I think I can trust the ones that aren't all "ZOMG THIS PLAECE WAS THE BEST THING EVER IN THE WORLD!!!!111!1!!1oneone" but I also don't know if I can trust the ones that say "WORST PLACE IN HISTORY! I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG SLEEP HERE!!!!"

Ah well. I'll keep looking.

Cogliostro on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    India.

Go to India.

Bloods End on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Come to Florida, there's...

uh...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2011
    You could take a trip to mexico, I hear that like certain places are really nice.

I will ask my mom to remind me how to spell these places.

Aha

Puerto Vallarta

Tallahasseeriel on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm heading to Lebanon with a buddy in a year and a half. I figure with a month to play with and a country that's only a few hundred kilometres long I can do the whole thing end to end.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sheeeit, you don't need to leave Texas!

Just head to Houston and find Mysst.

Instant weeklong party/holiday!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    I'm looking at stuff in Vegas and the reviews on some of these places are absolutely horrifying. Dirty rooms, smelly hotels, hotels that charge ridiculous fees that are both mandatory and for things you may not necessarily want (for instance, I'll be in Vegas.. I may not want internet access).

The only places that consistently get good reviews are places that are way out of my price range. I cannot afford $160 - $290 a night for a room, but I want something on the strip so I can avoid renting a car. I've checked several discount websites (hotels.com, travelocity, etc).

The thing is, I don't necessarily trust online reviews. I think I can trust the ones that aren't all "ZOMG THIS PLAECE WAS THE BEST THING EVER IN THE WORLD!!!!111!1!!1oneone" but I also don't know if I can trust the ones that say "WORST PLACE IN HISTORY! I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG SLEEP HERE!!!!"

Ah well. I'll keep looking.

From personal experience: Excalibur is a dump, NYNY is crowded but perfectly fine, Flamingo is a fine place to sleep, Luxor is a dump, MGM is usually the best "cheap" hotel.

Other options are to stay as close to the strip as possible without being on the strip. Imperial palace and Hooters are good for this.

I like the website CheapOVegas.com and SmarterVegas.com

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
    edited January 2011
    You could take a trip to mexico, I hear that like certain places are really nice.

Aha

Puerto Vallarta

This is a bad idea. Even the tourist ares are starting to get really dangerous.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go on a cruise.

Weaver on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    So here's the thing: I'm celebrating my first year in Texas by getting the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of it. My tax return is due sometime soon and I want to take a real honest-to-god vacation.

IDEAS SO FAR:

SEATTLE: Love Seattle, grew up near there. Cheap flights, cheap hotels, even cheap rental cars. Unfortunately I don't know what I'd do if I just visited Seattle unless some PA folk wanted to get together. I could easily head up north or south and visit some old friends and family. Rental cars are awesome in that they have unlimited mileage and are generally good on gas - and Seattle is an excellent jumping off point

If you wanted to catch some nice scenery and visit your favorite internet dancer a trip to Ellensburg is always there...

I would show you such a night Cogliostro.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just head to Houston and find Mysst.

Instant weeklong party/holiday!

I completely forgot that some of my favorite forumers are here.

I'ma go pester his ass soon.

Darth Waiter on
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »

Aha

Puerto Vallarta

This is a bad idea. Even the tourist ares are starting to get really dangerous.

Are they?

My mom used to go there all the time.

She will be disappointed.

Tallahasseeriel on