As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Appeciation for some of the best film based games. [Not 56K friendly]

MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Many times the video games are superior to the films, the particular game compliments the film and other times the film is better compared to the game.
Case in point where the game compliments the films are: (spoilers only being used to keep page ratio mumbo jumbo)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
indy4cover.jpg

EVIL DEAD - Regeneration
evil%2Bdead.jpg

ALIENS versus PREDATOR 2
alienvspredator2a.jpg

JUDGE DREDD (SNES)
52761__judge-dredd-snes-front.jpeg?--DNAME--

GoldenEye 007 (Have yet to play GoldenEye Source.)
goldeneye.jpg

007 2004: Everything or Nothing
007%20EVERYTHING%20OR%20NOTHING%20XBOX.jpg

007 2010: BLOOD STONE (Haven't played it yet but essentially Bond 22.5 until Bond 23 is released in 2011.)
101025_james-bond-blood-stone-pc.jpg

TRON 2.0
21xb9.jpg

BRADE RUNNAH
wb_gamewall86.jpg

GHOSTBUSTERS: The Video Game
ghostbusters__the_video_game-xbox_360box_bits1625ghostbusters_xbox_360_cvr.jpg

MonkeyPants on

• Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay was a great game, and is actually a really great integral part of the lore.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toy Story 3 is supposed to be really good. We own it, and my son has played it quite a bit, but I haven't given it a shot yet.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay was a great game, and is actually a really great integral part of the lore.

YES! Fully agree with you. My housemate has Escape from Butcher Bay Developer's Cut PC but can't get it to run. How's Escape from Dark Athena?
    How's the new ALIENS versus PREDATOR game? I have Gold Edition for 1, 2 + Primal Hunt.

Okay how about the WORST video games which were based on films?
    The Force Unleashed I & II mandatoraly count.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still have Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis installed on my laptop. That game was shockingly enjoyable (and mod-able!) for what could have been another throwaway licensed game.

My version is packed with so many dinosaur behavior tweaks and other mods that I never backed up or kept track of... I'll basically never be able to uninstall it without backing up the game's entire data folder.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Bladerunner game was sublime, even if the character models were ugly as sin. Westwood totally nailed the universe, some truly stunning environments & great voice acting all around.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, you mispelt "Appreciation", there's an "r" in there.

Did anybody play The Warriors game based on that 80s gang movie? I heard it was pretty fun, but never got around to playing it.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    how could you have this thread and not have the spiderman game on the gamecube

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Butcher Bay was great. I played through it years ago when it was new on the xbox. Then a year or two ago I got Dark Athena on a D2D sale, and I have yet to download and install it.

I should remedy this.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How could you have this thread and not have the Spider-Man game on the GameCube?

Because I owned it for XBOX. I still own SPIDER-MAN 2 for XBOX.
    Also these games are damn excellent.
    boxart_large.jpg
    55647_929245_68860_front.jpg
    ROTWK_packfront.jpg
    0retornodelrey.jpg
    LOTR3.jpg

(Haven't played this yet. Possibly will be for PS2.)
    920498_front.jpg

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm actually pretty conflicted about BfMEII. On the one hand, way more options, and you can command Shelob, which is badass. On the other hand, all the structures in the game are made of glass, and it totally loses the cinematic feel of the first game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm actually pretty conflicted about BfMEII. On the one hand, way more options, and you can command Shelob, which is badass. On the other hand, all the structures in the game are made of glass, and it totally loses the cinematic feel of the first game.

I liked the second one but compared to the first it was really weird.

Mostly because the first had tremendously epic multiplayer, or well it was really fun. My friends would pick Rohan/Gondor so they could hide behind walls and it always turned into me bombing the fuck out of them and usually winning by summoning a Balrog right inside their gate.

That and the gigantic infantry battles that got interrupted when Gandalf ran in and used Word of Power. Damn that was a good game

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Third Age is a godawful game.

James Bond - Everything or Nothing had the best co-op multiplayer ever. And the singleplayer was just fine as well.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    The Third Age is a godawful game.

James Bond - Everything or Nothing had the best co-op multiplayer ever. And the singleplayer was just fine as well.

Was Everything or Nothing the one with grappling hooks and a bunch of other crazy shit?

If so that game was da bomb

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, wait - it the LotR: The Third Age backwards compatible for 360? If so I'm all over that. Also, War in the North looks like it'll be decent as well.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Wait, wait - it the LotR: The Third Age backwards compatible for 360? If so I'm all over that. Also, War in the North looks like it'll be decent as well.

No it isn't unfortunately, last I checked. Like I mentioned I'm probably going to buy it for PS2 if I could find it.

Battle for Middle-Earth II felt epic since it used alot of the voice actors/voice clips/HUGO WEAVING AS ELROND in the game. I have it for both 360 and PC. Some reason for PC I'm not getting the voice overs/voices.O_o
    By the way, Everything or Nothing >>>>>>>>>>> Die Another Day. And I've only watched the Youtube stuff on it! BATMAN BEGINS was also a great film tie-in video game.

This was very worthy but had utter shit AI mechanics for your teammates. Especially if they changed or not. Supposedly they were working on the sequel to it but it got scrapped. Own it for XBOX and also PC. Haven't gotten around to playing it for PC yet. Total conversion mod would be most excellent for this.
    pc_hra_the_thing.jpg

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still have Third Age for GC wrapped

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, for all the love Goldeneye gets, Everything or Nothing deserves the spotlight. It was a great game.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, for all the love GoldenEye gets, Everything or Nothing deserves the spotlight. It was a great game.

Should I get it for PS2? I'm still leaning towards the original PS2 instead of the slim. Better heat dissipation.
    STARGATE for SNES was also a great video game film tie-in. At the moment I can't immediately think of some great film tie-in video games. Of course there's the RoboCop arcade ones, T2 light gun cabinet mounted shooter and some others.
    What're some really shit ones? I nominate THE TERMINATOR: Dawn of Fate.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, for all the love Goldeneye gets, Everything or Nothing deserves the spotlight. It was a great game.

Nightfire is suprisingly underrated.

That was easily one of the top three shooters on the gamecube.

Leitner on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What about the Punisher game? Interrogating a guy using a wood chipper? Um awesome.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    STALKER is easily the best game based on a film.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    What about the Punisher game? Interrogating a guy using a wood chipper? Um awesome.

The one voiced by Tom Jane? I've played that one a bit but is more from the MAX or something series but just voiced by The Punisher 2004. Is that HellBoy game for 360/PS3 any good? Voiced by the film actors but more comic book based I think.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »

This.

Drake on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I could be wrong, but sure I heard that the third age battle system was basically FFX.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I could be wrong, but sure I heard that the third age battle system was basically FFX.

I wouldn't know either way since I've never played either games.
    Would there happen to be any graphical bump up mods for ALIENS versus PREDATOR 1, 2 + Primal Hunt? Was attempting to play the first one last night and it gave a weird strobing effect. Set the compatibility to Windows 98. No idea but I did have it set at 1280x900x32 though. ALIENS versus PREDATOR 2 + Primal Hunt ALWAYS runs fine even on the highest settings. Would just like better texturing for alot of stuff, nothing to drastic.
    So for Assault on Dark Athena, does the enhanced remake for Escape on Butcher Bay bypass the OpenGL 1.3 based problem? Ran fine for XP but doesn't for Vista.

EDIT: Could a mod please change title name for the thread to Appreciation instead of appeciation?

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Take every complaint Final Fantasy 10 and 13 got for linearity and imagine them magnified x10 and you're still not close to how boring The Third Age is. The battle system isn't really Final Fantasy 10, just super standard jrpg-lite. It also has the lamest last boss ever.

It's a really bad game.

If you want to get Everything or Nothing, get it for the co-op. It looks best on the Gamecube, and the control setup is really nice there, but I'm sure it's fine on PS2 as well. Pretty sure it's not backwards compatible with the 360.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Take every complaint Final Fantasy 10 and 13 got for linearity and imagine them magnified x10 and you're still not close to how boring The Third Age is. The battle system isn't really Final Fantasy 10, just super standard jrpg-lite. It also has the lamest last boss ever.

It's a really bad game.

If you want to get Everything or Nothing, get it for the co-op. It looks best on the Gamecube, and the control setup is really nice there, but I'm sure it's fine on PS2 as well. Pretty sure it's not backwards compatible with the 360.
    I wouldn't know since I've only ever played Final Fantasy I-VI. I've been more of a Dragon Quest fan. Actually the Soulblader/Souldblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma Trilogy I loved. Last Final Fantasy game I played was XII and that was meh. How're the enhanced remakes for FF and DQ for GBA/DS?

Yeah it isn't backwards compatible for 360. No I wouldn't get a 007 game for co-op. Would rather get it to play as James Bond. I have GoldenEye Source installed but have yet to play it.

Finally got Escape from Butcher Bay to work. Just needed the most current patch. Damn I felt "Riddickulous" about that.;-) Gonna buy Assault on Dark Athena anyway. For 360 first and then PC later.

How's ALIENS versus PREDATOR? Yeah I care more about single player compared to multi alot of the time. BUT Team Fortress 2 is damn fun and same for Katamari.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not saying the singleplayer in Everything or Nothing is bad. It's great. There are plenty of unlockable gadgets and weapons, every stage has secret Bond Moments to figure out, and on 007 difficulty it's actually challenging. Plus, you get to fight Jaws.

But the coop in that game is really, really good. The only game I've ever played where limited weapon pickups make sense and add value.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Isn't that sort of like saying Fallout is because of A Boy and His Dog?
    Are they fully licensed works or just influenced by?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PatboyX wrote: »

Do they do licensing and stuff in Russia? How are pre Soviet collapse works treated? I really don't know how any of that stuff works there. It may not be a licensed (or whatever) game simply because they don't have to work that way.

Drake on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Man, I haven't thought of that movie in ages. Pretty messed up ending, I enjoyed it!

I've got to tip my hat in the direction of The Warriors. The whole premise of the movie just SCREAMED for a videogame adaptation and Rockstar handled it exceptionally. The final "boss" fight was pretty bad but that stage where you're Swan and basically beating the living shit out of 30+ Destroyers when you're supposed to escape is just awesome.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It has the same title and setting as the film, unambiguously. Liscensing has nothing to do with it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What a coincidence, I just finished marathonning a replay of Ghostbusters TVG. Not particularly remarkable outside of the whole Ghostbusters thing, but just good, god damn solid fun, and makes me wish devs would start poking around in that concept a bit more. Shame they stripped the whole MP aspect out of the PC version, though.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Mandatory:

215510540_whqzj-L-2.jpg

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It has the same title and setting as the film, unambiguously. Liscensing has nothing to do with it.

Oh, I just looked it up. I was thinking of the story called Roadside Picnic, not STALKER. I had no idea there was a STALKER movie (which apparently is based on that novella.) I have never seen the movie so I can't really speak to that.
    Oops.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's a really bad game.

I rather enjoyed Third Age on the Gamecube. If you like exploration and roleplaying and good stories, stay far, far away, but if you like a good battle system and character customization, pick it up for dirt cheap, turn the difficulty up to Hard and have fun.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Oh, I just looked it up. I was thinking of the story called Roadside Picnic, not STALKER. I had no idea there was a STALKER movie (which apparently is based on that novella.) I have never seen the movie so I can't really speak to that.
    Oops.

Yeah you can't really compare the STALKER movie and the games outside of the superficial. They're both based on Roadside Picnic but both completely different.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will second the living fuck out of "The Warriors". What a great game that was.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    BigDes wrote: »

Oops.

Yeah you can't really compare the STALKER movie and the games outside of the superficial. They're both based on Roadside Picnic but both completely different.

The game is filled with nods to the film, including the ability to chuck nuts and bolts around to check for anomalies.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also going to throw in The Witcher. The Polish film was shit, but the game was good.

Waka Laka on