As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brain Problems

PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
So I woke up at 4:00 this morning and, at first, couldn't remember who I was. Not that unusual, generally it takes me a few minutes to put things together (like the fact that I graduated high school four years ago, so no, I don't need to be stressed out about a French test tomorrow). Eventually, I was able to pull together my memories; I knew my name, where I was, what day it was; but I felt very detached from this info, like I knew the words, but didn't feel any real connection with them, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was someone else, hiding in the corners of my brain, and that it was the existence of this other entity that was keeping me from feeling like me.

Obviously, I started freaking out, assuming I'd had some severe mental breakdown. Now, obviously I'm familiar with the phrase "You're not going insane if you think you're going insane," but clearly something was wrong with my head, and if I just dismissed my problem like that then BLAM I could be going insane.

I got up, ran into the bathroom and splashed water on my face, trying to shake this fog and detachment. I pull out my droid and do a google search for "I feel like there's someone else in my head" (without quotes) and rather than the first few results being health related, it's a bunch of song lyrics and some college kid complaining about how they never had to study in high school, but now that they're in college they have to actually put in an effort and they're still struggling and having trouble concentrating on studying since they've never done it before (Oh noes, I'm sure that hasn't happened to most people who didn't really study in high school). Clearly, Google had let me down, so I came to the forums and considered making a thread in HA, as I'm sure there were some people on the West Coast still up, not to mention people in other countries. However, considering that I'm still living in my parents' house for the next three weeks and both of my parents are doctors, I figured a direct approach might be better.

I got up, woke up my parents (who are awesome since they didn't complain about it once) and described how I was freaking out in my head. They both agreed that it's probably an anxiety attack, and that I had none of the signs of schizophrenia. My mom asks me if I want to go to the hospital, but tells me that she once went to the hospital for a panic attack and there really wasn't anything they could do for it, you just had to wait it out (although she did give me some pill that helps with panic attacks). They both stayed up with me for an hour, over which time I calmed down, though I still wasn't feeling back to normal, still felt a little detached from my memories. I fell back asleep, and woke up at 11, feeling completely better. It was just a panic attack.

Now, on a scale of serious brain problems from 1-10, panic attacks are probably about a two, so poor me. There are plenty of people (including many on this forum) with worse stuff going on in their heads. Also, this strikes me as a really good excuse to not do drugs, because if I panic from my head being foggy at 4 in the morning, I don't even want to know how I would react to the stuff drugs can do to me.

Anywho, Brain Problems.

Peccavi on

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gender Identity Disorder and depression

could be worse, could be better

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i am probably a high functioning autist

Beasteh on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    major depression, but thankfully haven't had any episodes in a couple years

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was so sure this was going to be a Bel Air.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am probably a high functioning flautist

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am horny 24/7
    wait that's called BEING A MAN 8-)

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm no good with people and communicating face to face

It may just be I'm shit with people :P

Antimatter on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure there's something going on in my noggin that's unusual, but I don't know maybe?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    i am probably a high functioning fartist

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also payback is on

this movie owns

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wake up in the morning feeling like p diddy (what up girl)

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I mean, I also have other mental problems, like Social Anxiety, a neckbeard, all that stereotypical socially stunted geek stuff, but that stuff doesn't freak me out, whereas feeling like I've lost control over my brain at 4 am is freaky stuff.

Also, one of the results I looked at last night was someone who was worried because they pretend that they're famous, referring to themself as "You" in their head, and I was just like "Shit, I've done that my whole life. Gotta self-narrate so that the viewers at home can follow what's going on."

Peccavi on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If someone had psychic powers

would that count as a brain problem?

Would they get disability benefits?

These are the things that I need to know

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    a neckbeard is a mental problem?

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can prescribe you something for that neckbeard

qJepZ.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want to know if synesthesia is a problem or a superpower

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

it's a sign of one

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    i am probably a high functioning autist

do you do watercolors?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=7rzo.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wake up in the morning feeling like p diddy (what up girl)

You should go to the ER now.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I want to know if synesthesia is a problem or a superpower

Synethesia seems like a thing which I would like to experience

If only for a short time

Maybe this is dumb of me but seeing sound and hearing light could be a fun experience

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    shit son i better shave

off to a party where i will nervously avoid all social cues and leave early

latez

Beasteh on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was so sure this was going to be a Bel Air.

Seriously

Javen on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm just your typical bipolar (or is it manic depressive? I can never keep up), and anxiety-ridden forumer with extremely low self esteem. I will never be allowed to own a gun. Second amendment my ass.

Also, I believe I am a chicken. B'CAWK!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lookit dat cat, Spergin all over the place.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    my brain is pretty boss

it ain't got problems but it is full of ideas

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2011
    i don't have any brain problems!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i have zero brain problems

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    keith you have so many brain problems

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this is the part where i laugh at all you awkward nerds who can't function in public

ha! ha!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, not going to a doctor is always a good idea.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    keith you have so many brain problems

i don't!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Yeah, not going to a doctor is always a good idea.

Technically, I went to two doctors.

However, if they hadn't been there, I would've headed to the ER, cause I was freaking out.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heavy procrastination and some gender issues to work out are the only problems I have.

I use to have a huge case of OCD where EVERYTHING HAD TO BE PERFECT and HOW I WANTED or else I would FLIP THE FUCK OUT. Then I realized how silly that was and stopped.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My mind is host to a currently dormant hive colony of thougt-spiders.

Sorry I just love the brain spiders phrase

Weaver on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i get sad sometimes [pretty often, really] and i get some anxiety sometimes

oh and chronic migraines

Projeck on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hypochondriac on stomach issues. Just gotta pinch/massage a body area to generate a low level pain signal to disturb the thought pattern if I feel the level of anxiety rising.

Yogo on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm let's see...

Extreme anxiety which can directly lead into depression.
    An obscene amounts of narcissism.
    When I was in the 6th-8th grade and in a silent environment I would begin to hear screaming until I banged my head against a door/wall to stop it. This recently popped up again two years ago.

It has also been pointed out to me by my friends that I suffer from an Achilles Complex, God Complex, Messiah Complex and a light Rubix Complex.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peccavi wrote: »
    So I woke up at the house around seven or eight this morning and, at first, couldn't remember who I was. Not that unusual, generally it takes me a few minutes to put things together (like the fact that I graduated high school four years ago, so no, I don't need to be stressed out about a French test tomorrow). Eventually, I was able to pull together my memories; I knew my name, where I was, what day it was; but I felt very detached from this info, like I knew the words, but didn't feel any real connection with them, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was someone else, hiding in the corners of my brain, and that my life got flipped-turned upside down.

Obviously, I started freaking out, assuming I'd had some severe mental breakdown. Now, obviously I'm familiar with the phrase "You're not going insane if you think you're going insane," but clearly something was wrong with my head, and if I thought 'Man forget it' - I could be going insane.

I got in one little fight, ran into the bathroom and splashed water on my face, trying to shake this fog and detachment. I pull out my droid and do a google search for "I feel like there's someone else in my head" (without quotes) and rather than the first few results being health related, it's a bunch of song lyrics and some fresh college kid complaining about how a couple of guys, who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood - they never had to study in high school, but now that they're in college they have to actually put in an effort and they're still struggling and having trouble concentrating on studying since they've never done it before (Oh noes, I'm sure that hasn't happened to most people who didn't really study in high school). Clearly, Google had let me down, so I came to the forums and considered making a thread in HA, as I'm sure there were some people on the West Coast still up, not to mention people in other countries. However, considering that I'm still living in my parents' house for the next three weeks and both of my parents are doctors, I figured a direct approach might be better.

I got up, woke up my parents (who are awesome since they didn't complain about it once) and described how I was freaking out in my head. They both agreed that it's probably an anxiety attack, and that I had none of the signs of schizophrenia. My mom asks me if I want to go to the hospital, but tells me that she once went to the hospital for a panic attack and there really wasn't anything they could do for it, you just had to wait it out (although she did give me some pill that helps with panic attacks). They both stayed up with me for an hour, over which time I calmed down, though I still wasn't feeling back to normal, still felt a little detached from my memories. My mom got scared, she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'. I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror.

Now, if anything I can say is that this cab was rare but I thought 'Man forget it, yo home to Bel Air on a scale of serious brain problems from 1-10, panic attacks are probably about a two, so poor me. There are plenty of people (including many on this forum) with worse stuff going on in their heads. Also, this strikes me as a really good excuse to not do drugs, because if I panic from my head being foggy at 4 in the morning, I don't even want to know how I would react to the stuff drugs can do to me.

Anywho, Brain Problems.

I so know what this can be like.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peccavi that sounds very out of body experiencey.

Kochikens on
This discussion has been closed.