As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brain Problems

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    depression and self-loathing mostly

TheySlashThem on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I care too much. It is my brain disorder.

(actually I'm mostly normal nowadays)

MKR on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    So I woke up at the house around seven or eight this morning and, at first, couldn't remember who I was. Not that unusual, generally it takes me a few minutes to put things together (like the fact that I graduated high school four years ago, so no, I don't need to be stressed out about a French test tomorrow). Eventually, I was able to pull together my memories; I knew my name, where I was, what day it was; but I felt very detached from this info, like I knew the words, but didn't feel any real connection with them, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was someone else, hiding in the corners of my brain, and that my life got flipped-turned upside down.

Obviously, I started freaking out, assuming I'd had some severe mental breakdown. Now, obviously I'm familiar with the phrase "You're not going insane if you think you're going insane," but clearly something was wrong with my head, and if I thought 'Man forget it' - I could be going insane.

I got in one little fight, ran into the bathroom and splashed water on my face, trying to shake this fog and detachment. I pull out my droid and do a google search for "I feel like there's someone else in my head" (without quotes) and rather than the first few results being health related, it's a bunch of song lyrics and some fresh college kid complaining about how a couple of guys, who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood - they never had to study in high school, but now that they're in college they have to actually put in an effort and they're still struggling and having trouble concentrating on studying since they've never done it before (Oh noes, I'm sure that hasn't happened to most people who didn't really study in high school). Clearly, Google had let me down, so I came to the forums and considered making a thread in HA, as I'm sure there were some people on the West Coast still up, not to mention people in other countries. However, considering that I'm still living in my parents' house for the next three weeks and both of my parents are doctors, I figured a direct approach might be better.

I got up, woke up my parents (who are awesome since they didn't complain about it once) and described how I was freaking out in my head. They both agreed that it's probably an anxiety attack, and that I had none of the signs of schizophrenia. My mom asks me if I want to go to the hospital, but tells me that she once went to the hospital for a panic attack and there really wasn't anything they could do for it, you just had to wait it out (although she did give me some pill that helps with panic attacks). They both stayed up with me for an hour, over which time I calmed down, though I still wasn't feeling back to normal, still felt a little detached from my memories. My mom got scared, she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'. I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror.

Now, if anything I can say is that this cab was rare but I thought 'Man forget it, yo home to Bel Air on a scale of serious brain problems from 1-10, panic attacks are probably about a two, so poor me. There are plenty of people (including many on this forum) with worse stuff going on in their heads. Also, this strikes me as a really good excuse to not do drugs, because if I panic from my head being foggy at 4 in the morning, I don't even want to know how I would react to the stuff drugs can do to me.

Anywho, Brain Problems.

I so know what this can be like.

Yes, always wanted to be black.

Peccavi on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have bad brain wiring in that I have congenital anosmia. I also have a stutter, which is a brain thing, or something.

Kochikens on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    aw dang kochi that's a bummer

Abracadaniel on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My dad puts stuff in my bed sometimes

Last night there were radishes and lettuce

It was cold

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    stuttering is actually caused by demons

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I saw The King's Speech last week and it was great

Abracadaniel on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also I get panic attacks pretty bad if there's a chance people will be focusing on me or if I am not incredibly well versed or practiced in something I am about to do

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »

whats a bummer
    the stutter or the no smell

Kochikens on
    edited January 2011
    no smell

i mean it's not so bad since it's congenital, so you don't know what you're missing

does it affect your sense of taste as well?

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »

whats a bummer
    the stutter or the no smell

I thought that said you had amnesia and then I read your first sentence and thought you made a clever joke

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited January 2011
    As far as I know, I have a full range of taste. But how could I ever really know?

Kochikens on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i had the chicken pox virus in my brain

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder and PTSD

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna smell twice as hard now for you, kochi

even farts

especially farts

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks buddy
    the only time it's annoying is when I can't tell if food has gone bad, or when my toast always burns.

Kochikens on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I use to have massive anxiety as well, but after seeing my sister who had it much worse than me, it just went away when I realized how relatively good my brain is.

VoproSTEIN on
    edited January 2011
    Orrrr when I am dealing with gas stoves

Kochikens on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens. I just checked out that that is on wikipedia. Can you not smell anything at all?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    every now and then i get a slight pain in the back right or back left of my head, when this happens i usually have some weird stuff going on with one of my eyes.

about 6 months ago the entire right side of my face felt numb for about 30 minutes, though i could still move all the muscles.

other than that its just the general every few months completely losing any train of thought in the middle of a sentence and not really understanding what is going on. but that's more akin to 'out of body experience' type of feeling than anything else.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    blastin a fart your way

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have bad Sleep Apnea, mild insomnia, and mild narcolepsy. I am a bundle of fun sleep disorders

Bucketman on
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens. I just checked out that that is on wikipedia. Can you not smell anything at all?

Nothin'.

It's more common than you think, there's probably a few more people here that can't, it's just not something you'd ever notice unless they told you. We often pretend to smell in normal conversation just to avoid the hour long conversation.

Kochikens on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in a professional writing program and there are a ton of young writers who are convinced they are going to be the next Hunter S. Thompson. So there's parties where people do coke, because a lot of writers did drugs.

Also a lot of people are obsessed with mental illness and think that is the ultimate key for some profoundly deep writing.

So one girl was showing off her (very low dosage of) antidepressants really proudly.

I wanted to punch her in the face

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am probably a high functioning fartist

Hey stop talking about me.

Also got depressions. Bad.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i hate those sorts of people

all

i've read fear and loathing in las vegas and seen the movie look i smoke cigarettes nyoro~~~n

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in a professional writing program and there are a ton of young writers who are convinced they are going to be the next Hunter S. Thompson. So there's parties where people do coke, because a lot of writers did drugs.

Also a lot of people are obsessed with mental illness and think that is the ultimate key for some profoundly deep writing.

So one girl was showing off her (very low dosage of) antidepressants really proudly.

That would drive me mad.

Liiya on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I've had depression issues in the past, some social anxiety, which used to be a lot worse than it is now, and sometimes I wonder if I have some minor bi-polar issues but other than that, I'm awesome.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been doing pretty good off of meds but I started thinking about going back on a few days ago. It'd be nice to have wider emotional range than slight elation - flat - mild annoyance

Weaver on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to get panic attacks when I was really younger.

Spelling Bees were the worst.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited January 2011

The S. Thompson people, tell them they ain't shit until they get their own sports column

Weaver on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    My social anxiety used to be pretty bad but I never wanted to get on meds. I don't have a problem with people who use them but I never felt they were for me.

My Dad was a serious drug addict and alcohol so I'm really weird about becoming dependent on anything because of this so I worked through the social anxiety on my own.

I'm still not great around people I don't know and large groups but I'm a hell of a lot better than I used to be.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited January 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

my very first day of school I panicked so bad I tried to climb the wall to get away

Weaver on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I gots fun problems in my brain.

Most everything I think is related to my severe depression to the point of suicidal tendencies and attempts.

I've even gained a sorta nervous tick from trying to overdose once.

Getting better, but not great yet. Suck because I used to be an A student, and now I'm in danger of going back on probation until I graduate because I can't give a shit or get anything done if I'm not well medicated.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Panic Attacks sure are fun.

Just run of the mill anxiety and depression here. Currently trying the forced optimism and going to the gym instead of medication method. We'll see where I'm at in a couple of months.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I saw The King's Speech last week and it was great

I saw Green Hornet last night, quite enjoyable. But then I was feeling the fake buttered popcorn at 4, all "great, i'm freaking out and feel like I'm gonna puke."

Edit: Fuck you Droid!

Peccavi on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Manic depressive with violent compulsive tendencies and PTSD from my early childhood in tha hizzzzouse!

I have been in the service industry so long that I now look at most people as morons because they are incapable of reading a menu, a sign pointing them to the bathroom or one that says 'employees only.'

I seethe at most human interaction most days; other days, I remember the simple life as a jarhead when people respected the fact that you had ready access to firearms.

Darth Waiter on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ive been having memory problems lately. Mostly little stuff like I lost my winter hat and didnt think to check the coat pocket for a week or two which sucked. And not remembering that I took a day off last week to go to a funeral. I think its just part of getting older though.

Also depression and possibly ADD. Though the medication has done wonders for me. (on lexapro just like mike and jerry)

Bedlam on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

my very first day of school I panicked so bad I tried to climb the wall to get away

Oh Weaver...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.