As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bioshock - choice *is* wrong

• Edge_TurnEdge_Turn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    As soon as I read the first post I said "Levine will put in a good way to implement the Little Sister's invulnerability." I tend to give Devs the benefit of the doubt on unreleased games.

And sure enough I was right.

Yeah, I'm still really glad we went with the little girl idea. After we ditched the sea slug idea we knew we needed something that evoked empathy in the player, but understandably there was some trepidation about it being a child. I remember some early sketches of dogs (with their hind-legs bound to little wheelers), ADAM-addicted chimps, and something that was a cross between an Oompa-Loompa and an Ugnaught - wasn't nobody gonna think twice about shooting that little bastard.

Edge_Turn on
    Gone from Shock to Rock...
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The point is System Shock and Freedom Force are awesome enough to make me totally confident.

Furu on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's something to think about - you just know you're going to destroy the underwater habitat by the end of the game. Either in a Resident Evil-esque self-destruct command or sending torpedoes at the hull, the evil villain's underwater hideout always goes boom before the end credits. So all those Little Sisters are dead anyways.

Please make no reference to the System Shock 2 ending - it invalidates my notions. :)

emnmnme on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    endlosnull wrote: »
    JWFokker wrote: »
    So what the fuck is it supposed to look like?

In the words of the artist who made it, "I'm positively agape!"

It doesn't look that much like it.
    People are overinterpreting, I think.

I have seen lots of other designs like that that predate the thing in question.

Xagarath on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

Cue picture of that UT2K4 assault map.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Edge_TurnEdge_Turn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Nah, the guy who designed it admitted as much on the TTLG forums. He just stylized to the point that it wasn't too obvious.

Edge_Turn on
    Gone from Shock to Rock...
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    OH GOD

I FINALLY GOT IT

OH FUCK WHY DID I HAVE TO GET IT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For some reason as soon as I read this post I got it.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But it even has the goddamn wedding ring.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited May 2007
    Edge_Turn wrote: »

Nah, the guy who designed it admitted as much on the TTLG forums. He just stylized to the point that it wasn't too obvious.

I'm impressed they kept it after that.

Xagarath on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    scootch wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    If you look at the videos they run around for cover.

what the hell for?

Wouldn't you run around the corner if there were bullets and grenades flying everywhere?

not when it doesn't hurt me.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not going to lie, I really don't like this change because it goes against the absolute freedom I wanted in this game. No, I don't have any sick fantasies about murdering children - but I did want the difficulty to spare their lives in a real fight. Like Levine mentions, apparently it was hard to save the girl's life while taking down the Big Daddy and that pissed people off. Personally? I think that's how it should be. In most games, in fact damn near any game, it's always easier to just to kill everyone off than take the higher road. It's easier to just unload on an entire room rather than save the hostage for a few bonus points.

I thought Bioshock was going to be different. If you wanted to keep your humanity you were going to have to save / cure those little girls and you were going to have to work your ass off to do it. That means no stupid grenades, explosives, or simply unloading an automatic weapon in their direction. That's the kind of difficulty I wanted.

EDIT: I suppose it won't be too long till this game is cracked and their vulnerable anyway.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The comments on that picture are absolutely priceless. This one is my favorite:
    I have seen that symbol before and do not remember where.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Like Levine mentions, apparently it was hard to save the girl's life while taking down the Big Daddy and that pissed people off. Personally? I think that's how it should be. In most games, in fact damn near any game, it's always easier to just to kill everyone off than take the higher road. It's easier to just unload on an entire room rather than save the hostage for a few bonus points.

Sure it could be more 'realistic' but if you look at it from a gameplay perspective you see that with all the shit that's going on in Rapture having the Little Sister's die all the firggin time whenever you're near them trying to fight can be highly frustrating.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited May 2007
    Like Levine mentions, apparently it was hard to save the girl's life while taking down the Big Daddy and that pissed people off. Personally? I think that's how it should be. In most games, in fact damn near any game, it's always easier to just to kill everyone off than take the higher road. It's easier to just unload on an entire room rather than save the hostage for a few bonus points.

Sure it could be more 'realistic' but if you look at it from a gameplay perspective you see that with all the shit that's going on in Rapture having the Little Sister's die all the firggin time whenever you're near them trying to fight can be highly frustrating.

Plus, it takes an entire munitions depot to take down a Big Daddy. If you watch the gameplay video where thet attempt to kill one, they use grenades, drones, fire, you name it. There is very little chance of anyone living.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2007

Plus, it takes an entire munitions depot to take down a Big Daddy. If you watch the gameplay video where thet attempt to kill one, they use grenades, drones, fire, you name it. There is very little chance of anyone living.

Exactly. This is a game, and Levine et Co. and making it to entertain you and when Little Sisters die waaaay too easily the game is not fun. So Levine decided to work around this and soon enough we'll know exactly what this work around is.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not going to lie, I really don't like this change because it goes against the absolute freedom I wanted in this game. No, I don't have any sick fantasies about murdering children - but I did want the difficulty to spare their lives in a real fight. Like Levine mentions, apparently it was hard to save the girl's life while taking down the Big Daddy and that pissed people off. Personally? I think that's how it should be. In most games, in fact damn near any game, it's always easier to just to kill everyone off than take the higher road. It's easier to just unload on an entire room rather than save the hostage for a few bonus points.

I thought Bioshock was going to be different. If you wanted to keep your humanity you were going to have to save / cure those little girls and you were going to have to work your ass off to do it. That means no stupid grenades, explosives, or simply unloading an automatic weapon in their direction. That's the kind of difficulty I wanted.

EDIT: I suppose it won't be too long till this game is cracked and their vulnerable anyway.

I think it's worth asking why the sisters were so easily killed by accident. Was there not enough room in the environment to properly evade? Did grenades bounce or bullets ricochet too much? Did the AI do dumb things like run out into the middle of open fire to get to a pre-selected cover point, or stray too far from its protector? Were the daddies just not fast enough to stop the player, or could they be easily fooled?

Granted, I didn't play System Shock for intense and challenging combat, as it was often neither. Still, if you're going to go on about these two characters and their complex behavior within a mutant ecosystem, you have to at least try to be prepared for what a diligent player can do.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited May 2007

Thing is,
    I was actually thinking of some chapter/armour symbol stuff in Warhammer 40k or something when I said that.

Xagarath on
    edited May 2007

Thing is,
    I was actually thinking of some chapter/armour symbol stuff in Warhammer 40k or something when I said that.

It's still quite funny when you read it like that.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2007

Thing is,

True, true.

I was lying and have never seen it before in my life.

Xagarath on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still have no idea what you guys are seeing with that picture. What's this talk of a goat?

Am I just incredibly dense, or very very lucky?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    I still have no idea what you guys are seeing with that picture. What's this talk of a goat?

Very lucky. You've never been goatse'd. (DO NOT put that into a search box).

Short answer: Its a picture of a man holding his ass open. Very. Very. Wide.

Phoenix-D on
    edited May 2007

Thing is,

True, true.

Goatse is burned into your mind.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

Very lucky. You've never been goatse'd. (DO NOT put that into a search box).

Short answer: Its a picture of a man holding his ass open. Very. Very. Wide.

Oh God no! I've seen it before, but my mind had repressed it. Now I remember it all! Goatse, tub girl, being molested by my father....noooo!

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ahahahahahahaha, took me a few minutes to get the picture, but it's awesome. Totally awesome. I love goatse.

edit: I must be desensitized or something because goatse doesn't bother me like it seems to do you guys.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2007

Thing is,

True, true.

Goatse is burned into your mind.

I have absolutely idea what you are talking about, and never will

Xagarath on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahaha, took me a few minutes to get the picture, but it's awesome. Totally awesome. I love goatse.

edit: I must be desensitized or something because goatse doesn't bother me like it seems to do you guys.

I'm not sensitive but BAM, gaping ass out of nowhere was a bit much. :P

Phoenix-D on
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I'm not sensitive but BAM, gaping ass out of nowhere was a bit much. :P

That's true, I was rather surprised when I first saw it (thanks to SE++ no less. I didn't know what it was and asked for a PM :lol:).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

...sig time.

Not mine, but somebody's, surely!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited May 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

...sig time.

Not mine, but somebody's, surely!

Especially the "I love goatse." part.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's quite awesome. I'll totally buy the special edition if they actually make the box look like that.

JWFokker on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ahahahahahahahahaha, i'm actually crying with laughter. Genius. And the responses made it funnier.

Back to the posts from the team though, it's good to see them talking like that, taking responsibility, and also calling it a design decision. That shows it's something that's been thought out, developed, refined, and implemented. It's not just a rushed patch to cover up something they thought wouldn't pass the ratings board, but rather a decision they felt would improve the game, and tested until it worked.
    Good show.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is a fairly disappointing decision to me, because it seems to go completely against the games actual themes of providing choice in how the player interacts with the environment to the player. Now how we interact with the environment (which can include AIs) is being dictated entirely by the game designer and that's not what originally got me interested in the game at all.

I do hope this is an isolated example and not a recurring design theme, because the game still sounds awesome from everything else I've read.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you get a reward for "rescuing" them? And by rescue, do they mean killing the protector and then not killing the girl?

Clevinger on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Do you get a reward for "rescuing" them? And by rescue, do they mean killing the protector and then not killing the girl?
    That's actually something I mentioned earlier. I'll feel bad if the option is A.) be evil and kill the big daddy and the girl, or B.) kill the big daddy, save the girl

I mean... the big daddies are like giant armoured drill armed teddy bears!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FUCK FUCK FUCK. I WIKI'D THAT. FUCK MY EYES!!!!!!!!
    AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=C5yUcQIaDkE

Seven minutes of new footage. Might contain spoilers if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

Clevinger on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I honestly expected goatse.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I honestly expected goatse.

Same. My mind has been fucked so many times this year.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Seven minutes of new footage. Might contain spoilers if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

Man, this is going to scare the everliving shit out of me.

Brolo on
    edited May 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

Man, this is going to scare the everliving shit out of me.

Also that trailer was intense. That big daddy was scary. >.>

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png