As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation Ideas!

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Come to Europa. It is quite affordable Feb-March and if you stick to southern Europe it is rather nice and warm - tshirt almost.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hear Egypt is really interesting these days

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    I'm looking at stuff in Vegas and the reviews on some of these places are absolutely horrifying. Dirty rooms, smelly hotels, hotels that charge ridiculous fees that are both mandatory and for things you may not necessarily want (for instance, I'll be in Vegas.. I may not want internet access).

The only places that consistently get good reviews are places that are way out of my price range. I cannot afford $160 - $290 a night for a room, but I want something on the strip so I can avoid renting a car. I've checked several discount websites (hotels.com, travelocity, etc).

The thing is, I don't necessarily trust online reviews. I think I can trust the ones that aren't all "ZOMG THIS PLAECE WAS THE BEST THING EVER IN THE WORLD!!!!111!1!!1oneone" but I also don't know if I can trust the ones that say "WORST PLACE IN HISTORY! I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG SLEEP HERE!!!!"

Ah well. I'll keep looking.

From personal experience: Excalibur is a dump, NYNY is crowded but perfectly fine, Flamingo is a fine place to sleep, Luxor is a dump, MGM is usually the best "cheap" hotel.

Other options are to stay as close to the strip as possible without being on the strip. Imperial palace and Hooters are good for this.

I like the website CheapOVegas.com and SmarterVegas.com

the paris and the rio are also good places to stay.

and i am baffled by this whole "pay for hotel thing" since my parents usually end up going for a week once or twice a year, get most of the hotel comped except for a day, and typically fly out on free tickets from southwest.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking at stuff in Vegas and the reviews on some of these places are absolutely horrifying. Dirty rooms, smelly hotels, hotels that charge ridiculous fees that are both mandatory and for things you may not necessarily want (for instance, I'll be in Vegas.. I may not want internet access).

The only places that consistently get good reviews are places that are way out of my price range. I cannot afford $160 - $290 a night for a room, but I want something on the strip so I can avoid renting a car. I've checked several discount websites (hotels.com, travelocity, etc).

The thing is, I don't necessarily trust online reviews. I think I can trust the ones that aren't all "ZOMG THIS PLAECE WAS THE BEST THING EVER IN THE WORLD!!!!111!1!!1oneone" but I also don't know if I can trust the ones that say "WORST PLACE IN HISTORY! I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG SLEEP HERE!!!!"

Ah well. I'll keep looking.
    The cheapest place I stayed in Vegas was at Bill's Gamblin' Hall and Saloon, and it worked out great. Nothing was mandatory, the room was clean, it's right in the middle of the strip, you get access to the Flamingo's pool, and it was only like $50/night

It's not fancy, but if you're just looking for somewhere to put your stuff and sleep, it's A-OK

Houk the Namebringer on
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Come to Europa. It is quite affordable Feb-March and if you stick to southern Europe it is rather nice and warm - tshirt almost.

I'm from Alaska. There's nothing short of Siberia in February that's too cold to do something in.

Also: Ellensburg would be awesome. My uncle lives in Sela and is a manager at the Bi-Mart in E-Burgh.

Cogliostro on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So here's the thing: I'm celebrating my first year in Texas by getting the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of it. My tax return is due sometime soon and I want to take a real honest-to-god vacation.

IDEAS SO FAR:

SEATTLE: Love Seattle, grew up near there. Cheap flights, cheap hotels, even cheap rental cars. Unfortunately I don't know what I'd do if I just visited Seattle unless some PA folk wanted to get together. I could easily head up north or south and visit some old friends and family. Rental cars are awesome in that they have unlimited mileage and are generally good on gas - and Seattle is an excellent jumping off point

If you wanted to catch some nice scenery and visit your favorite internet dancer a trip to Ellensburg is always there...

I would show you such a night Cogliostro.

Heck, you could pick me up in Seattle in your fancy rental car and roooooooaaaaaaaad triiiiiiiiiiiiip!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Go visit Vis in Grenada. It looks pretty there.

Yes do this.

Then smuggle me back in your luggage.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made the Houston to Vegas trip once.

Once and never again. You have to remember that you're driving across a good third of the US with nothing but prairie. Bring some audio books if you are truly dedicated to wasting your time and muscle tone.

Oh, and rental cars don't tend to have the best track record for maintenance. RE: My trip to Vegas when the engine blew and we wasted 14.5 hours because the rental company didn't have an office near us when their car nearly exploded.

Drove with my family from Washington to Oklahoma in 30 hours. We each took turns driving. Wasn't fun.

MereHappenstance on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    go to washington dc

i can recommend a great strip club

CAMELOT

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »
    So here's the thing: I'm celebrating my first year in Texas by getting the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of it. My tax return is due sometime soon and I want to take a real honest-to-god vacation.

IDEAS SO FAR:

SEATTLE: Love Seattle, grew up near there. Cheap flights, cheap hotels, even cheap rental cars. Unfortunately I don't know what I'd do if I just visited Seattle unless some PA folk wanted to get together. I could easily head up north or south and visit some old friends and family. Rental cars are awesome in that they have unlimited mileage and are generally good on gas - and Seattle is an excellent jumping off point

If you wanted to catch some nice scenery and visit your favorite internet dancer a trip to Ellensburg is always there...

I would show you such a night Cogliostro.

Heck, you could pick me up in Seattle in your fancy rental car and roooooooaaaaaaaad triiiiiiiiiiiiip!

Hmmm....

Cogliostro on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as it is during the week... I work weekends.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited January 2011
    that would be fine. My schedule is completely flexible. I will take 3 days off work and have two weeks off.

I love nine-day rotations. :D

Cogliostro on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro do it! I'm pretty much free every night except Tuesdays (and even that could become free with enough notice). I also have a spare bed and couch...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you ever been to Yellowstone? Have you seen Rushmore? One of my favorite vactions was when my family drove through there and saw the sights. There's some breathtaking stuff out there.

Centipede Damascus on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vegas!

The MGM and the Flamingo are fine hotels. If you aren't a smoker, make sure you get a non-smoking room. The smell of cigarettes is everywhere in Vegas, and its nice to have a room that avoids it. We made that mistake once.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro do it! I'm pretty much free every night except Tuesdays (and even that could become free with enough notice). I also have a spare bed and couch...

Come thursday and we can play some drinking games to Wipeout.

MereHappenstance on
    edited January 2011
    Starting to sound like awesome ideas, guys. :D Especialy a visit to E-Burgh

Cogliostro on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still want to visit Rome.

Weaver on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    I still want to visit Rome.

Rome's pretty cool. Florence is soooo much better though. It still looks like a Renaissance-era city. Rome mostly looks like any other urban European capital most of the time and then you stumble upon a mass of ancient columns, a giant archway, a monolith or one of their famous landmarks.

Venice is awesome but it smells funky during high-tide and it's dirty.

TankHammer on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sheeeit, you don't need to leave Texas!

Just head to Houston and find Mysst.

Instant weeklong party/holiday!

Everyone needs to get as far away from Houston as possible. Practically the armpit of the world.

Godfather on
    edited January 2011
    I don't live IN Houston, I live in Montgomery County, which is just north of it - Specifically The Woodlands :)

Cogliostro on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seattle? Friggin' Seattle? Why wouldn't you go somewhere in South America?
    You Americans are so lazy/selfish/unadventurous.

ascot on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He wants to go on a vacation, not a suicide mission!

Zonugal on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pfft, I think you'll find Colombia is perfectly safe for pastey white americans...

ascot on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ascot wrote: »
    Pfft, I think you'll find Colombia is perfectly safe for pastey white americans...

301n015sheen1300x300939.jpg

JoeUser on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't live IN Houston, I live in Montgomery County, which is just north of it - Specifically The Woodlands :)

Yeah, to be honest I actually live on the edge of Spring, about a fifteen minute drive away from the Woodlands Mall shopping area. I think i'm just accustomed to saying Houston to Canadians because they have no idea where Spring or the Woodlands are, much less heard of those places, so I generally go with Houston.

Houston is a weird city, because it's basically a city without the benefits of a city environment. It's a massive city with next to nothing to do down there. There's no subway system; the closest thing available is the light rail that nobody uses and is limited in its ground range cause of how expensive it was to build. The highway/street grid is a literal nightmare to navigate; you could literally be stuck downtown for hours just trying to find a way out, like some sort of metropolitan Venus fly-trap. Half of the city is seedy as hell, and there are areas where you simply do not leave your car because of how bad the crime is. Everything is too spaced out to walk but too close to drive to, so it hits that middle ground of annoying. Then you factor in the cost of parking and finding a spot to do so, and it almost makes the commute not worth it.

There aren't many events that take place outside of the general safe ones you'd see in any city in existence, and there's not much of an incentive to explore since the concept of mass transit is foreign to the city, making navigation of the labyrinth that is the street system a colossal pain-in-the-ass. People go to work downtown and not much else, resulting in a fucking social ghost town, like something you'd see in a community college scene.

This is why I always leave out Houston for out-of-state and foreign traveler ventures, and point them to the direction of San Antonio, Austin and Dallas as go-to destinations instead.

Godfather on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited January 2011
    ascot wrote: »
    Seattle? Friggin' Seattle? Why wouldn't you go somewhere in South America?
    You Americans are so lazy/selfish/unadventurous.

Because I am not a mercenary warrior looking to get even with a drug cartel nor am I interested in being kidnapped and sold into slavery.

Cogliostro on
    edited January 2011
    Godfather wrote: »

Yeah, to be honest I actually live on the edge of Spring, about a fifteen minute drive away from the Woodlands Mall shopping area. I think i'm just accustomed to saying Houston to Canadians because they have no idea where Spring or the Woodlands are, much less heard of those places, so I generally go with Houston.

Houston is a weird city, because it's basically a city without the benefits of a city environment. It's a massive city with next to nothing to do down there. There's no subway system; the closest thing available is the light rail that nobody uses and is limited in its ground range cause of how expensive it was to build. The highway/street grid is a literal nightmare to navigate; you could literally be stuck downtown for hours just trying to find a way out, like some sort of metropolitan Venus fly-trap. Half of the city is seedy as hell, and there are areas where you simply do not leave your car because of how bad the crime is. Everything is too spaced out to walk but too close to drive to, so it hits that middle ground of annoying. Then you factor in the cost of parking and finding a spot to do so, and it almost makes the commute not worth it.

There aren't many events that take place outside of the general safe ones you'd see in any city in existence, and there's not much of an incentive to explore since the concept of mass transit is foreign to the city, making navigation of the labyrinth that is the street system a colossal pain-in-the-ass. People go to work downtown and not much else, resulting in a fucking social ghost town, like something you'd see in a community college scene.

This is why I always leave out Houston for out-of-state and foreign traveler ventures, and point them to the direction of San Antonio, Austin and Dallas as go-to destinations instead.

Seriously?? Dude I live in Candlelight Estates, right off Cypresswood. Not technically the Woodlands, but close enough (will be moving back there in November).

As for downtown.. yeah. Montrose is really nice, though. I enjoy spending time in that area.

Cogliostro on
    edited January 2011
    t Tankhammer I've been to Florence and Pisa

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    Seattle ideas

Egyption theater is having a midnight showing of Jurrasic Park soon. Anyone want to go?

Weaver on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think Americans dont like traveling internationally because they aren't allowed to bring their guns with them.

Blake T on
    edited January 2011
    Many people don't have passports and it takes forever to get one. Airport security, worse on the way in than it is going out. Currency exchange, language barriers, concern about foreign perception, and lastly, prohibitive costs.

Weaver on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You do realise that is exactly the same as everyone one else with the possible exception of foreign perception.

Blake T on
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Seattle ideas

Egyption theater is having a midnight showing of Jurrasic Park soon. Anyone want to go?

ARGG!!!! I want to but won't be able!

Zonugal on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    You do realise that is exactly the same as everyone one else with the possible exception of foreign perception.
    So that makes them invalid, or...?

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah... traveling outside of the country is a little out of my price range.

Besides, I want to see more of the country I live in vs. outside countries.

Cogliostro on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to go to Cedar Point again this summer: http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited January 2011
    Cog, have you ever been on an epic drinking adventure in Ballard?

Just making the case for my plan...

Tonkka on