As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dickwolves Tee missing from store?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gabriel wrote: »
    I made a news post that goes into more detail. Hope it helps explain our thought process on this. I appreciate all the comments.

Thank you for the news post. Hopefully it will give the people who are complaining about you "buckling under pressure" the perspective they need to understand your decision.

DarkPrimus on
  • BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ngumo wrote: »
    The alternative is to make a comic where the dickwolves make amends for their previous misdemeanors allowing the t-shirts to be rereleased as the dickwolves would be good guys as opposed to the other type of guys.

Because lets face it - no one in the history of the world has ever melded the words "dick" and "wolves" together into one entity before Gabe and Tycho and it is complete genius. The idea of a world without dickwolves and related merchandise fills me with sorrow - if its the choice of a world without dickwolves or a world with dickwolves who fight for good I know which one I want to live in (the one with dickwolves in it - in case you didn't get what I was striding for there).

Go (good) Dickwolves!!

Never watched Law & Order? Dick Wolf is the head producer.

Bigbluefoot on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Beechsack wrote: »
    On the other side, you just Streisand effected the shirt. I hear that on the internets there are places that anyone can design shirts.

I'd rather buy it from you.
    Uh, they aren't hiding the fact that they made a Dickwolves shirt. There's a front page post and everything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BeechsackBeechsack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    By removing the shirt, and explaining the circumstances why it was removed, they've drawn more attention to it than it otherwise would have gotten.

Before this, it was just another shirt.

Now, it's a shirt that was taken away because of the complaints of a very vocal minority that many people seem to disagree with. There is added attention on this shirt now that wasn't there before. That's what the Streisand Effect is.

Beechsack on
  • zerosozhazerosozha Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Just registered tonight and this is my first post.

I read the news post about the situation and I want to say that I completely understand Gabe wanting to keep the PAX environment as friendly as possible.

So instead of caving to pressure and pulling the shirt from shelves, why not institute a "Please don't wear the shirt to PAX" rule? I think that is a much better compromise than just removing the shirt outright. As soon as it is posted back on the store, I will be purchasing one.

Also, I've read the blog of this "kirbybits" and I think having her speak at PAX is a horrible idea. This woman clearly has some very skewed views and just generally hates fun.

zerosozha on
    edited January 2011
    However, still, the whole defense of 'It makes it so PAX isn't friendly' doesn't hold water with me, because they took out the pennants, too. Like I said before, the pennant is all I'm in for, and that is gone in this whole fiasco as well. You can't wear a pennant, and you would like an idiot walking around with a flag pole for the express purpose of having the pennant. The pennant should be brought back, because if their real problem was that the thing was about rape, the Fruit Fucker would be an issue as well. Its just a thing they can bring out, and doesn't have the kind of fans that I'm sure FF has, so they can make a point, and gain some clout. 'We got Penny Arcade to back down, you're going to be nothing.'

Bigbluefoot on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    And Team Dickwolves really means Team Rapist? That's some really faulty logic. Let's start with the fact that we're dealing with a fictional creature and go from there. It's like a textbook case for using logical fallacies.
    Dickwolves have been shown to rape people on at least one occasion. In fact, it's the most prominent piece of information we have regarding dickwolf behavior.

The comic clearly displays it as a terrible thing, which makes the "hero's" dismissal of the sixth slave all the more darkly humorous. The shirt is basically promoting a creature that rapes as a mascot. I think that crosses a line.

Exactly.

Agent Cooper on
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    However, still, the whole defense of 'It makes it so PAX isn't friendly' doesn't hold water with me, because they took out the pennants, too. Like I said before, the pennant is all I'm in for, and that is gone in this whole fiasco as well. You can't wear a pennant, and you would like an idiot walking around with a flag pole for the express purpose of having the pennant. The pennant should be brought back, because if their real problem was that the thing was about rape, the Fruit Fucker would be an issue as well. Its just a thing they can bring out, and doesn't have the kind of fans that I'm sure FF has, so they can make a point, and gain some clout. 'We got Penny Arcade to back down, you're going to be nothing.'
    There is a small difference between a machine that engages in sexual activity with fruit and a monster that rapes people. Even fictional ones, on all counts. Just saying.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As a long time reader and forum poster, I wish to weigh my thoughts briefly on the matter;

The shirt and comic weren't really all that funny. Certainly not your best work, though far from your worst, I cannot honestly say that the shirt is a product that I would likely purchase, though I would not be opposed to purchasing it for someone else if they wanted it.

Note: I'm not offended by it in the least. I find the "right through the pants" strip much funnier.

That said, even as someone who does not have a personal stake in the product in question, I don't think that bowing to the demands of a vocal few solves the problem (and those it could further entail). My trains of thought are pretty much along the lines of what Randeh posted earlier, so I won't clutter this thread by reiterating their points.

I am in no way attempting to minimize the pain and suffering of victims of sexual assault. However I also don't think that the feelings of dozens of people should lead to censorship.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • zerosozhazerosozha Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Can't help but mention this:
    http://kirbybits.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/here-is-a-thought-fuck-this-noise/

Gabe is trying to be cool about the whole situation, and this woman mocks him miserably.

zerosozha on
  • fireinthedustfireinthedust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to say that, regardless of my opinion about the shirt, I'm glad that the PA team is motivated to take the stance of making PAX a more supportive environment.

Frankly, rape is serious, and leaves a scar on people in a huge way. I've got a friend who was raped, and it's traumatized her. I've been mugged, I've had my jaw busted, and I've been sexually harassed in a serious way, and while those things have stuck with me, they haven't affected me like rape affected her life.

I do not think PA's dickwolves joke incites a culture of rape. I don't think it comes close to that.

I can see that having the Dickwolves as a team mascott, knowing that the dickwolves rape slaves to sleep/awake, would seem to indicate that buying the shirts or pennants are "getting on team rapist". Well, symbolically, sure. That is, *IF* you wanted to look at it that way and take the joke beyond the context that it's in: mocking how in WoW you only do as many rescues as you need to to get the quest done.

It is a WoW joke, not a rape joke.

Despite knowing that, I'm glad that action is being taken by PA to be sensitive to the vocal minority regarding rape. Why? Because for people who have been traumatized, their perception is different than someone who has no context with the crime (ie: someone who hasn't been raped). The experience is totally different for them than even what's going on. That's what trauma is like.

And I think Pax is a great idea that should be about people feeling safe.

So basically, I think Tycho and Gabe are being professional and sensitive by taking the advert down, and stewards of the larger reality that is the PAX-attending community of gamers and enthusiasts. Not polarizing over something that may or may not be worth the debate.

Granted, I have no problem if they had a pile of stock that *happened* to disappear one by one to people in the know who contacted them via email, so they make their money back from producing pennants.

fireinthedust on
    edited January 2011
    zerosozha wrote: »

Gabe is trying to be cool about the whole situation, and this woman mocks him miserably.
    You know what? That woman's been getting blamed and attacked for this whole thing since the shirts went down -- and before -- and she wasn't even the one who got them to do it. Maybe, if you don't like what she has to say, you could just leave her alone? I mean, that seems to be what many of you wish the people who objected to the shirts had done. Why not practice what you preach?

Themiscyra on
  • DickWolvingtonDickWolvington Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want you guys to know that rape is a serious thing and not something I intend to take lightly. But just so you know, you can move past it and heal.

DickWolvington on
  • HammertrampHammertramp Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

This is why I bought the shirt in the first place. To support PA when they were taking crap from (what looks to me...personal opinion here, no offense intended to people with legit issues...blahblahblah) crackpots. And, again, that's why I wish the "stupid" shirt was still for sale.

Dale

P.S. There's a reason a famous flag(s) of the American Revolution had the banner "Don't Tread on me". Lotsa peeps have forgottent that.

P.P.S. Peepls getting 'offended' has taken on some kinda overbearing freedom-reducing power in the last while. F it.

Hammertramp on
    edited January 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »

You know what? That woman's been getting blamed and attacked for this whole thing since the shirts went down -- and before -- and she wasn't even the one who got them to do it. Maybe, if you don't like what she has to say, you could just leave her alone? I mean, that seems to be what many of you wish the people who objected to the shirts had done. Why not practice what you preach?

We bring her up again because she is smashing Mike. And for someone saying that she has such a problem with rape, she drops quite a few rape jokes in just that one post. I have never messaged her, I don't plan to message her. I would not be at all surprised if most of the people posting in this thread have not messaged her. There are more than the people posting here on the internet, I mean, not a lot, but surely there are.

Bigbluefoot on
    edited January 2011
    We bring her up again because she is smashing Mike. And for someone saying that she has such a problem with rape, she drops quite a few rape jokes in just that one post. I have never messaged her, I don't plan to message her. I would not be at all surprised if most of the people posting in this thread have not messaged her. There are more than the people posting here on the internet, I mean, not a lot, but surely there are.
    I just feel like, no matter what opinion you have, there's no need to draw more attention to her. Pointing out that someone on the Internet is criticizing Mike isn't going to do anything, really. The decisions on all these matters rest with Penny Arcade. I realize this isn't the only source of the folks who have been attacking her but folks here can avoid contributing to the problem.

I'd just ask everyone not to be a dick, as the man said.

Themiscyra on
    edited January 2011
    I want you guys to know that rape is a serious thing and not something I intend to take lightly. But just so you know, you can move past it and heal.
    Are you fucking serious?

It's not like they were in a car wreck or something.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2011
    Are you fucking serious?

I'm a Gunshot Survivor. I moved past it and I healed. Are you saying we should take rape lightly?

DickWolvington on
    edited January 2011
    Are you fucking serious?

I'm a Gunshot Survivor. I moved past it and I healed. Are you saying we should take rape lightly?
    You are suggesting that rape survivors just shut up and don't complain.

A gunshot is not rape. They are both traumatic tragedies, but they're not the same thing. You cannot act as if you know what it's like to be raped, just as a rape victim may not know what it's like to be shot.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2011
    Are you fucking serious?

A gunshot is not rape. They are both traumatic tragedies, but they're not the same thing. You cannot act as if you know what it's like to be raped, just as a rape victim may not know what it's like to be shot.

I was raped by bullets. In broad daylight. Fifteen to twenty people watched it happen, cheering my shooter on and even running over to throw bullets at me.

DickWolvington on
    edited January 2011

He's from 4chan, Rorus. I wouldn't bother.

Themiscyra on
  • SoberIrishmanSoberIrishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

"Hm. Maybe if I make a blanket statement about a website he frequents, it'll save me from having to come up with an actual argument!"

Grow up, guy.

SoberIrishman on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This sure is a thread.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited January 2011

So does this disqualify me from voicing my opinion? I was shot, I'm a Gunshot Survivor. I didn't report it to the police though, I didn't think they'd take it seriously.

DickWolvington on
    edited January 2011
    "Hm. Maybe if I make a blanket statement about a website he frequents, it'll save me from having to come up with an actual argument!"

Grow up, guy.
    I know /b/tards. The only winning move is not to play. And I never said I was particularly interested in an argument.

Themiscyra on
    edited January 2011

Grow up, guy.
    I know /b/tards. The only winning move is not to play. And I never said I was particularly interested in an argument.

There's more to 4chan than /b/. Most 4chan users I know hate /b/ with a passion.

SoberIrishman on
  • RandehRandeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And Team Dickwolves really means Team Rapist? That's some really faulty logic. Let's start with the fact that we're dealing with a fictional creature and go from there. It's like a textbook case for using logical fallacies.
    Dickwolves have been shown to rape people on at least one occasion. In fact, it's the most prominent piece of information we have regarding dickwolf behavior.

The comic clearly displays it as a terrible thing, which makes the "hero's" dismissal of the sixth slave all the more darkly humorous. The shirt is basically promoting a creature that rapes as a mascot. I think that crosses a line.

Exactly.

Well, then following your logic this comic means that anything with the image of Tycho, including the comics, books, website, etc is promoting a character / mascot that rapes dogs... and not at all a joke. So I fail to see why you're still giving advertising dollars to these people?

Did you see the post where I linked like four other rape joke comics that were much worse? The joke still exists. The comic still exists. They're still making money off of it every time someone Googles "Dickwolves controversy" and finds the comic archived on Penny-Arcade.com where their advertisers pay for banner space.

If you're offended by Dickwolves and you still want to go to PAX so you're drawing this line in the sand... you're either A) NOT that offended and you just need attention or B) you're a hypocrite for continuing to give them money for other kinds of rape jokes / the original rape joke.

I'm not sure which is worse.

EDIT: Followup!
    There is a small difference between a machine that engages in sexual activity with fruit and a monster that rapes people. Even fictional ones, on all counts. Just saying.

I agree: the "person" was a video game character. That's even less of a person than a fruit - fruit are at least alive. So FF is, of course, much much worse. The dog in the dog rape comic was supposedly a real dog out in the world too.

So Dickwolves are the least offensive rape joke they've made in the past year. Glad we could clear that one up.

Randeh on
    Finally, gaming blog that's not about games. You're welcome, internet.
  • RoboChocoboRoboChocobo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have to say I'm very disappointed by your decision to remove the Dickwolves shirt. Bring it back!

The comic and creature are about the rather inhumane nature of most player characters/ and quest design in MMO RPG's. It has nothing to do with actual rape, and doesn't propagate anything, especially since it is so heavily rooted in an obscure context.

RoboChocobo on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's nothing in the original comic that merits a response. It's pretty typical PA fare, and the use of rape in the comic was solely to emphasize the horror of the situation. The punchline and real thread of the joke were unrelated.

That said, PA's "response" comic is not classy. It was dismissive of the entire issue when the issue was intimately important to a segment (however small) of their fanbase. It incorrectly portrayed an at least semi-rational objection to the comic (an objection I do not agree with) to belittle it. When they started releasing products around the comic shortly after, they chose to alienate these people further. I can absolutely understand their perspective.

Mike's most recent response is unfortunate. Though he attempts to put out the flames in that post, he, throughout, presents those who disagreed with him on this issue as part of some subset of the readership that is distinct and at least partially opposed to the whole, which may or may not be accurate (but is a really shitty thing to say to those people specifically).

There is nothing wrong with the original comic. There is a lot wrong with the PA response to the blowback, and it demonstrated a misunderstanding and a lack of desire to understand the issue. Those who had qualms about the comic initially, and expressed said concerns respectfully, have a right to be upset that Mike said "don't come" to their subset of the readership.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I'm gonna go ahead and reserve this spot for my post

because I was going to make a post

but I'm so fucking ashamed that anyone would even try to use 4chan as a counter-argument that I actually have lost all urge to voice my opinion on the matter

so this is where my post will go.

T4CT on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it's racist for people to assume that all dickwolves are rapists.

MKR on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Grow up, guy.

There's more to 4chan than /b/. Most 4chan users I know hate /b/ with a passion.

It may not be fair, but because of the reputation of 4channers, as people who go and troll other communities, it is perfectly reasonable to ignore a post from a 4channer.

This better applies to new accounts though, and not to long time members.

Roger Wilco on
  • Follower Of FSMFollower Of FSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Pretty much, it's like saying all Germans are Nazi's.

Follower Of FSM on
    edited January 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    Pretty much, it's like saying all Germans are Nazi's.

Exactly! Who's to say this particular band of rapist Dickwolves represent the entire species? They could be just normal, hardworking wolves whose every limb happens to be a penis. These rapists are giving them all a bad name!

SoberIrishman on
  • BattlerBattler Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

Grow up, guy.

It may not be fair, but because of the reputation of 4channers, as people who go and troll other communities, it is perfectly reasonable to ignore a post from a 4channer.

This better applies to new accounts though, and not to long time members.

I have literally registered only to tell you that what you just said is so monumentally dumb I have an article JUST FOR IT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

This is literally the most overly obvious and disgustingly blatant use of ad hom that I have ever seen, and you should be ashamed and realize if this was a real debate, you would be out of it instantaneously.

Also Traditional Games board here, Stop making assumptions on things you literally have no knowledge of, apparently.

P.S. Dickwolvington for man of the year etc etc

Battler on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    i am frustrated at penny arcade's being censored yet again. bring back the shirt.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the cheat wrote: »
    i am frustrated at penny arcade's being censored yet again. bring back the shirt.

I AM FRUSTRATED AT YOUR UTTER INABILITY TO USE CAPITALS. also your rape of apostrophes.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • FlamespeakFlamespeak Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I see nothing wrong with the actions that the guys at Penny Arcade have performed, personally. They are not bowing down or censoring their work because of someone's online rantings, but after being approached by some people in person who felt that a particular shirt they produce provoked a negative reaction they decided not to carry said item nor have it available at their public event. As was mentioned, you can easily ignore PA's comics by simply not coming here, but when at a public event it is hard to ignore something that is all around you. This wasn't censorship, nobody forbade them or forced them to stop production or distribution of their product, they chose to stop by their own free will after listening to some of their fans. Of course, I am assuming it is their fans that made their opinion known due the statement of them attending PAX and all. I can't be upset with someone trying to do anything they can to help make some of their fanbase more comfortable at what is supposed to be a happy event for all.

I can also see where people opposed to the removal of the shirt are coming from too. They feel that the creators of one of their favorite works are being manipulated into acting against their will by an outside force or are knuckling under when confronted by a few vocal folks. People want to defend something they like (which isn't the shirt actually, but the creation of people whose works they enjoy) or attack something they feel is wrong (in this case, the removal of something that those same people created). Neither action is actually necessary.

If you really like the shirt or the idea of it and feel you would like to own something like it, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from making your own, after all. The choice that these men made is their own and neither you nor I have any right, nor should we ever, to stop them from making the choice as to what they can or can not do with their own works.

That said, you DO have every right to praise their decision or tell them how horrible their decision was. Part of the fun of free speech and all that.

Flamespeak on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    they don't want people getting bummed out at PAX

why is this a big deal?

Burden of Proof on
  • Bad Ju JuBad Ju Ju Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    A friend brought up a good point, intentionally or not.
    What if they were Vaginahyenas?

Bad Ju Ju on
This discussion has been closed.